Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

No, 2 amps is fine. Just don't leave it on for a week or something crazy.

It would probably have enough charge out of the box to fire it up. Some say not to do that but I've never had a problem and my batteries generally last for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

spixxor posted:

Husband just bought a new battery for his bike. The only charger we have is one with 2 or 6 amp settings and it's not one that turns off automatically (sorry for my lack of proper terminology, I don't know diddly about this stuff). The instructions with the battery say to charge at 2-4 hours at 1 amp, or 1-3 hours at 1.5 amps. Is it going to hurt anything to charge it at 2 amps and just watch the little meter until it says it's fully charged, or will that screw something up?
What they told me about this at bike fix school is that if you don't charge the battery properly the first time (basically as slow as possible) then it'll never run at its full capacity. It'll always be putting out a little less power than it could have. So it'll work, but you won't get a perfect battery out of it. How much you'll notice it, I dunno.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
http://www.amazon.com/Circuit-Performance-Heavy-Wiring-Harness/dp/B0032VINBW/ref=pd_sim_sbs_misc_5

If this is just an extension to add a ceramic plug, why don't the wires go straight across from terminal to terminal? For example, the red terminal doesn't go to the same terminal as it originated from. (Wrong side)

I have these. Plugged them in when I was having problems with my normal setup, and noticed reduced performance. Then noticed that the wires don't simply extend. And I'm having a mindfuck here as to why that is.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
If I preload the shifter with a bit of upward force, when I shift up I hear a barely audible click.

If I don't preload the shifter, when I shift up I hear a clunk.

Explain.

(I'm guessing that, as I disengage the clutch, if there's a few milliseconds of time before I gear up, it allows something to slow down, which isn't the case if the shifter is preloaded.)

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
A proper trickle charger is like 20-30 bucks and while I'm not endorsing this idea, if you're only going to use it once you could get one from somewhere like Sears or Harbor Freight and just take it back when you're done

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Tamir Lenk posted:

What is the base made of? If it's black ABS plastic (like a lot of bike parts), we can repair it easily for about $5 in acetone and a couple of LEGOs.

You'll need to get another lens though.

I am in Chicago, so hit me at tamirlenk on gee 2 tha mail

Sorry I didn't see this sooner, but I am just going to bite the bullet and order a replacement off eBay. I took a look this weekend and I don't think the plastic base is fixable by melting LEGOs and attaching it that way. I can get a close replacement unit for $60 after shipping. I appreciate the offer though!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

epalm posted:

If I preload the shifter with a bit of upward force, when I shift up I hear a barely audible click.

If I don't preload the shifter, when I shift up I hear a clunk.

Explain.

(I'm guessing that, as I disengage the clutch, if there's a few milliseconds of time before I gear up, it allows something to slow down, which isn't the case if the shifter is preloaded.)

Not quite - basically by preloading you're effectively clutchless-shifting even if you use the clutch. the gear clicks in the second the engine and driveshaft revs match. If you don't preload you might not get it as perfectly matched and so you hear a clunk as the drive and engine shafts speed up and slow down to match each others speeds.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

So, tell me how terrible of an idea it would be to take my 2010 Bonneville on a trip from the SF Bay Area to Del Rio, TX and back. It's 1500 miles each way, I'd like to get it done in 2-3 days. Thus far I've only really done local rides on the order of a few hours tops. What kind of hell would I be getting myself into if I do this?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Pham Nuwen posted:

So, tell me how terrible of an idea it would be to take my 2010 Bonneville on a trip from the SF Bay Area to Del Rio, TX and back. It's 1500 miles each way, I'd like to get it done in 2-3 days. Thus far I've only really done local rides on the order of a few hours tops. What kind of hell would I be getting myself into if I do this?

Adjust your timeframe goals and it will be the best thing you've ever done. Your Bonnie is a great bike for it. However on interstate pushes, 500 miles per day is a pretty common limit before you're fighting fatigue, and if you're off the interstate, you'll probably be burning an entire day to do 300-400 miles. I would budget at least a week - more if you want to stop and look and not be in a hurry.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Pham Nuwen posted:

Go do 500 miles in a day and see if you want to do it for three days in a row.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Not quite - basically by preloading you're effectively clutchless-shifting even if you use the clutch. the gear clicks in the second the engine and driveshaft revs match. If you don't preload you might not get it as perfectly matched and so you hear a clunk as the drive and engine shafts speed up and slow down to match each others speeds.

To add, try not to preload for long periods of time. You will wear the face off of the dogs prematurely. Though realistically, I think that you'd have to do it pretty long for that to happen.

Shown here is a where the dogs go into. Worn after clutchless shifting/abuse.

Close up of somewhat worn dogs: http://www.southbayriders.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=413865&d=1347420274

If worn down, your bike won't stay in gear any more and you'll see false neutrals in between other gears.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
Why the hell would you want to go to Del Rio, TX?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

xaarman posted:

Why the hell would you want to go to Del Rio, TX?

Visiting my brother

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

n8r posted:

Go do 500 miles in a day and see if you want to do it for three days in a row.

It gets progressively easier. Anybody's first 500 mile day is brutal, it is a poor indication for the next few days as you get into the rhythm and develop proper nerve damage. He did say it was 1500 miles each way though, so blasting through it on the interstate without stopping is pretty much a 6-day itinerary.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Ziploc posted:

To add, try not to preload for long periods of time. You will wear the face off of the dogs prematurely. Though realistically, I think that you'd have to do it pretty long for that to happen.
I don't think keeping pressure on the shifter while under load would wear the dog teeth. That would wear the forks and fork slots in the slider gears. But it's still a bad idea for the same reason.

cixelsyd
May 22, 2010
Hi guys,

I got a weird question. A couple of weeks ago I posted about my R6 idling rough after I accidentally put normal gas in it. I have since been running premium and used some injector cleaner the last time I rode, and that seems to have fixed some of the issues with the rough idling but I still got one problem:

Sometimes when I downshift from higher gear (5 or 6) to come to a stop at a traffic light, the engine will randomly cut out when I pull the clutch and start downshifting. Fortunately, this has never happened during normal riding, just when stopping. However, I am beginning to worry that there is something amiss here.

Finally, today I got on my bike after having ridden it in the rain about a week ago, and instead of the familiar blender sounding engine noise, it sounded much lower and more rumbly (not really a word - sorry). It also seemed that it was very jumpy when riding it at speed, and holding the throttle constant. The bike would sometimes feel like it wanted to launch forward a bit, and then slow down again. I am not sure if that means it's misfiring, but it definitely has been acting weird.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I just haven't had time to bring it to a shop yet to get it looked at. I appreciate any assistance.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

Pham Nuwen posted:

Visiting my brother

I'm going to assume he's at Laughlin because there's literally no other reason to go near that poo poo city. Fly there, and fly out. Better yet, go meet him in San Antonio and have him bring you some Rudys. The Julios chips, while good, are full of MSG.

I lost two years of my life there, DO NOT GO!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ziploc posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Circuit-Performance-Heavy-Wiring-Harness/dp/B0032VINBW/ref=pd_sim_sbs_misc_5

If this is just an extension to add a ceramic plug, why don't the wires go straight across from terminal to terminal? For example, the red terminal doesn't go to the same terminal as it originated from. (Wrong side)

I have these. Plugged them in when I was having problems with my normal setup, and noticed reduced performance. Then noticed that the wires don't simply extend. And I'm having a mindfuck here as to why that is.

current doesn't care what direction it goes through the bulb filament? As long as the red and the black are on the side terminals, I suppose it doesn't really matter which side is which.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Ziploc posted:

Can you pull the terminals at the plug end and correct them? Usually they are held in by a brass prong that you can push in with a pick to release the terminal from the housing. If so, just reroute them to paths you like.

Tyorik
Dec 31, 2007

by astral
Who can tell me what the best way to mount a waterproof DC or USB adapter to the handlebars is? I don't have any equipment yet, but I'm looking to buy. I'm tired of having to hide my GPS when it starts to sprinkle (mounted on a RAM mount. I hate the Aquabox though and will just get a waterproof bag). I'm also tired of the thing dying on any ride over 3 hours

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Tyorik posted:

Who can tell me what the best way to mount a waterproof DC or USB adapter to the handlebars is? I don't have any equipment yet, but I'm looking to buy. I'm tired of having to hide my GPS when it starts to sprinkle (mounted on a RAM mount. I hate the Aquabox though and will just get a waterproof bag). I'm also tired of the thing dying on any ride over 3 hours

without looking at the equipment in question, I'd say zip ties.

Tyorik
Dec 31, 2007

by astral
I'm mostly speaking of equipment in this case. I'm sure I can deal with cable management, but I'm not up and up on the hardware people use to power their GPS/phone/ipod/whatever these days

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope
I let my bike sit about two months without firing it up (I'm a lazy idiot). Using the choke to warm the engine about 5-10 min, when I turn off the choke, the engine cant idle and dies. It can idle to some extent about 2K RPM but not with the choke completely off. I'm betting the carb jet is clogged or gummed up. Can I add seaform or some mixture to the gas to help clean it up temporarily or has the gas gone bad as well by now?

I know this is a temp solution but I think I might wait until next year before I find time to clean the carbs, too much RL things going on right now.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Drain the old stuff, put fresh gas in, add (the proper amount of) Seafoam, ride the poo poo out of it.

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor

clutchpuck posted:

Drain the old stuff, put fresh gas in, add (the proper amount of) Seafoam, ride the poo poo out of it.

+1 but

Seafoam may not be aggressive enough to clean out a fully gummed up carb. If this doesn't help report back.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
So the other day someone did this to my seat

as I posted in the "What did you to do your ride today?" thread.

Has anyone had a seat re-upholstered? I just got a quote for $185 from a local upholstery shop for a very basic re-cover, which seems expensive - this seat was $115.

If that's the case I'll be spending some more time with rubbing alcohol and paper towels trying to get more of this stuff off (I made some solid progress today, not pictured). The vinyl is wearing out, though, so I wouldn't mind replacing it.

ALTERNATIVELY, has anyone tried DIY re-covering?

Gay Nudist Dad fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Sep 26, 2012

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

That's the stupidest loving piece of vandalism ever. I'm sorry that happened to you.

If you can get someone to pre-make the vinyl pieces, it's easy. It took me 45 minutes with a pair of pliers and a staple gun to re-cover mine.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

What an rear end in a top hat thing. Any solvents work or would it just damage the seat more?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Black spraypaint?

Really though, after you do your best to remove it, I wonder if vinyl dye or something would take care of it the rest of the way.

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor
Dude, I don't have anything to contribute but to simply extend: "What kind of loving rear end in a top hat does something so stupid?"

I'm really sorry that happened, bud.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Has anyone had a seat re-upholstered? I just got a quote for $185 from a local upholstery shop for a very basic re-cover, which seems expensive - this seat was $115.

I had rider and passenger seat custom foamed and covered for $65 by a local marine upholstery shop. Keep shopping. Anybody who does any sort of upholstery or furniture can cut and glue or staple a seat cover on for you so don't limit yourself to automotive. A small shop may even give you a 'sorry you got spat' discount so provide the story along with it.

As for DIY since it's just the cover and not dealing with foam or pan work it shouldn't be too bad. Cost of materials + a try or two at cutting the correct shape + a shitload of staples.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
In the words of Vincent Vega,

quote:

Boy I wish I could have caught him doing it
I'd have given anything to catch that rear end in a top hat doing it
It'd have been worth him doing it, just so I could have caught him doing it
What's more chickenshit than loving with a man's vehicle

epswing fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 26, 2012

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
This may be the wrong thread, but I'm looking for recommendations on helmet headsets. "Requirements" are bluetooth functionality, stereo, and I have to be able to use it with earplugs.

Do these things work well for talk radio? I'm not looking for killer sound quality, just something to keep me awake when there's not very much light.

I saw a review for the SENA 10 (?) that looked pretty nice, albeit bulky.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Halo_4am posted:

I had rider and passenger seat custom foamed and covered for $65 by a local marine upholstery shop. Keep shopping. Anybody who does any sort of upholstery or furniture can cut and glue or staple a seat cover on for you so don't limit yourself to automotive. A small shop may even give you a 'sorry you got spat' discount so provide the story along with it.

As for DIY since it's just the cover and not dealing with foam or pan work it shouldn't be too bad. Cost of materials + a try or two at cutting the correct shape + a shitload of staples.

The place I went to does a wide variety of stuff, but do specifically say they do motorcycle seats.

I figured I'd at least be scoping places that advertise marine upholstery, since that's the type of vinyl I'd be after. This is Seattle - there must be dozens of marine upholstery shops around here.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

So what the hell does SPAJ mean

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

So what the hell does SPAJ mean

"SEAT"

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

I bet you can clean it off with the right cleaner or solvent.

Thats vinyl or leather right?

If you're ready to replace or cover the seat anyways, you really don't have anything to lose if you ruin the seat cover in the process.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

`Nemesis posted:

I bet you can clean it off with the right cleaner or solvent.

Thats vinyl or leather right?

If you're ready to replace or cover the seat anyways, you really don't have anything to lose if you ruin the seat cover in the process.

It's (lovely) vinyl. Rubbing alcohol has worked pretty well so far, I think with some more work I might be able to get most of it off.

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

It's (lovely) vinyl. Rubbing alcohol has worked pretty well so far, I think with some more work I might be able to get most of it off.

Goof-off or goo-gone should get that right off. Especially if it's a smooth surface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Save a lot of time and effort by spraying the rest of the bike with the names of parts. Quicker, cheaper, and you'll be the toast of the local mod convention.