Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

rotor posted:

yeah, if you're regularly doing these really complex merges git probably has an roi

but most people don't. I sure don't.

tef posted:

git was written for situations where you can't give out the commit bit, but it is really about letting people commit code and merge code, without having to do both at the same time.

which is kinda neat
git works best when used for the problems its designers needed to solve, how surprising

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
before i used git i was basically reinventing it by keeping multiple p4 clients so

i kinda like using a vcs that builds in the stuff i was writing shell functions to do before

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Gazpacho posted:

before i used git i was basically reinventing it by keeping multiple p4 clients so

i kinda like using a vcs that builds in the stuff i was writing shell functions to do before

git was at one point mostly shell functions

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
yeah i figured

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Gazpacho posted:

yeah i figured

it's kinda nice because it's "what linux torvalds wants to run an os kernel project single-handedly" so all the "porcelain" stuff is generally what you need for your project

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
hopefully my next job will be at a git-based company or at least one where the other team members don't refuse to learn how diff and patch work and keep bringing their merge problems to me

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
GD is nifty

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

multigl
Nov 22, 2005

"Who's cool and has two thumbs? This guy!"
SVN merging is scary if you don't have robust CI.

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>
working with nib files in an environment with multiple developers is a loving nightmare

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

quote:

The combination of founders, investors, and acquirers forms a natural ecosystem. It works so well that those who don't understand it are driven to invent conspiracy theories to explain how neatly things sometimes turn out. Just as our ancestors did to explain the apparently too neat workings of the natural world. But there is no secret cabal making it all work.

it turns out if you do s/grow(th)?/profit/g it still reads as well http://paulgraham.com/growth.html

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
fwiw i've had way more "oh poo poo this is all balled up" merge moments with git than svn

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

tef posted:

it turns out if you do s/grow(th)?/profit/g it still reads as well http://paulgraham.com/growth.html

i used to think that paul graham wrote well within his field of expertise and poorly outside

either i was wrong or his field of expertise is narrower than i thought

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop

tef posted:

tweeted this last week. owns.

I'm tired of "app-du-jour" startups that are just niches of niches hoping to get bought out. If I ever work for a startup here in the bay they need to have a business model and an actual way to make money other than "eyeballs = dollars"

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

salted hash browns posted:

I'm tired of "app-du-jour" startups that are just niches of niches hoping to get bought out. If I ever work for a startup here in the bay they need to have a business model and an actual way to make money other than "eyeballs = dollars"

Maybe you should go cry about it then. I'm so sorry there's people with more money than you and people making more money than you that make you jealous.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

shrughes posted:

Maybe you should go cry about it then. I'm so sorry there's people with more money than you and people making more money than you that make you jealous.

Nice!

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

shrughes posted:

lmao

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

shrughes posted:

lol

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

shrughes
shaggar
coincidence???????????

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
wow was there just a competition where two gay fucks pissed up a stick because boy howdy

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop
idgi

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

there was a competition where two gay fucks pissed up a stick

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

tweeted this last week. owns.

money goes in, money goes out, you can't explain that

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

If I ever work for a startup here in the bay they need to have a business model and an actual way to make money other than "eyeballs = dollars"

Eyeballs do equal dollars. I've seen a company grow from 15 to 150 people on that very basis.

If you aren't rich, go in there and leg it with as much as you can carry.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Zombywuf posted:

Eyeballs do equal dollars. I've seen a company grow from 15 to 150 people on that very basis.
didn't you claim that anyone who develops online ad systems is with the dark side

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Gazpacho posted:

didn't you claim that anyone who develops online ad systems is with the dark side

Zombywuf posted:

If you aren't rich, go in there and leg it with as much as you can carry.

I wasn't making ad systems, just integrating with them.

I'm not proud of it.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Gazpacho posted:

Dark side checking in.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Satan's little helpers represent.

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

shrughes posted:

:master:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

MononcQc posted:

Dark side checking in.

holla

Bird Priest
Jun 22, 2009

I have free will to do what I want but I choose to oscillate.

shrughes posted:

eyeballs = dollars

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
ugh why do all these ad supported media keep talking about eyeballs, circulation, viewing figures

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ads are the worst. block every ad. strip every ad from all tv.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ads are the canadian geese of media.

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

please

buy my product

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Shaggar posted:

ads are the canadian geese of media.

in that there's so such thing as a canadian goose?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
canadian geese are definitely a thing.

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Shaggar posted:

canadian geese are definitely a thing.

maybe you're thinking of a canada goose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
so is canadian club