Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
zarron
Sep 1, 2005
Is everyone out of pre-orders already? I know best buy was out since last tuesday but I'm not sure if anyone else is doing them. I was lucky to snag one for my sister when they first started but now a friend is looking for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.
I might be battling for one of these on Black Friday. Any projections on what chain(s) will most likely have them in stock?

Also, just found out the GamePad has a geomagnetic sensor. Neat.

Jumbled_Johnsons
Jul 2, 2011

by T. Finninho

Chaltab posted:

If I can make it through Skyward Sword I doubt anything on the Wii U will stop me.

I just hope the charging cable is long enough that I can play with the Gamepad plugged in, incase of long sessions.

Someone pointed out recently that one great thing about charging the Gamepad's battery via its' own ac adapter, rather than a usb connection to the console, is that you can do that in any room of the house, away from the console. That's pretty cool.

I still haven't played Skyward Sword, still looking forward to it, but I played Red Steel 2 laying about quite comfortably. Are they on about the same level of 'athleticism' required for performing basic combat moves?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

There isn't much you really have to do in Skyward Sword since combat isn't 1:1, just have to flick the remote in the proper direction.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
Some of the puzzles, tightropes, and other stuff sent some sharp pains through my wrist. Seriously, those boss key puzzles can go to hell.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE

Almost Smart posted:

Good luck. It's not impossible to get one by any means, but after waiting out in the cold and rain for both the 360 and Wii, I'm never doing it again.

This. I only did it for the Wii but it was so ridiculously cold and uncomfortable that it's not something I'd ever want to do again. I got my deluxe edition pre-order in at GameStop online only a couple hours before they pulled down pre-orders. Thank god I made it.

Jumbled_Johnsons
Jul 2, 2011

by T. Finninho

Liku posted:

There isn't much you really have to do in Skyward Sword since combat isn't 1:1, just have to flick the remote in the proper direction.

Cool, sounds about the same then.

microwave casserole
Jul 5, 2005

my god, what are you doing
I'm gonna be really sad if shooters on the WiiU don't support pointer controls. The Wiimote's motion controls might have been... Uneven at times, but using it to aim was amazing with Resident Evil 4 and Metroid Prime 3. I've tried and tried, but I've never been able to get used to the "standard" dual analog FPS control scheme, which has put a serious damper on a lot of games for me this generation.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

microwave casserole posted:

I'm gonna be really sad if shooters on the WiiU don't support pointer controls. The Wiimote's motion controls might have been... Uneven at times, but using it to aim was amazing with Resident Evil 4 and Metroid Prime 3. I've tried and tried, but I've never been able to get used to the "standard" dual analog FPS control scheme, which has put a serious damper on a lot of games for me this generation.

More than that I hope that any Wiimote-enabled shooting games also support Motion+. It's a big step above plain old infrared.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

Rake Arms posted:

Also, just found out the GamePad has a geomagnetic sensor. Neat.

What does this mean? It has a compass in it?

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Almost Smart posted:

Has Nintendo said whether VC titles will be playable through the gamepad's screen? Having the "real" versions of LttP and Final Fantasy 3/6 as portables would be a dream come true.

Handheld is a more accurate word than portable. Remember have to stay in the vicinity of the console.

microwave casserole posted:

Call of Duty: Black Ops II does, as well as the Wii Classic Controller and Wii U Pro controller.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

It's hardly surprising, but it still sucks that the Wii U is region locked. Way to be square, Nintendo :(

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
edit: beaten^^

Famitsu confirmed the region lock today, as if there was ever any doubt.

Almost Smart posted:

Has Nintendo said whether VC titles will be playable through the gamepad's screen? Having the "real" versions of LttP and Final Fantasy 3/6 as portables would be a dream come true.

Not gonna happen.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Iacen posted:

It's hardly surprising, but it still sucks that the Wii U is region locked. Way to be square, Nintendo :(

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo :negative:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Iacen posted:

Yeah not really surprising but it's still lovely whenever someone announces it. Especially for someone who doesn't live in the EU/US/JP, we often import games from both EU and US. Digital Distro should help at least.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
If you think DD is gonna solve any of your problems you might wanna brace yourself for more disappointment.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I'm taking a look at the Nintendo Network page on Wikipedia and it sounds like there might be some hope?

Apparently NN on Wii U allows for up to 12 accounts per system? So if the Wii U method of swapping active accounts is similar to the PS3/360 way then perhaps a physical media region lock won't be too obstructive. The OP mentions that Nintendo will be offering simultaneous digital and physical distribution options on all their Wii U games, and that the offer extends to third parties who wish to join in. It probably wont reach Vita levels of digital/physical parity but you could probably get some decent analog to Xbox Live Games on Demand going?

Of course, this is assuming (and I'm kind of reaching here) that digital titles don't have the same lock that physical ones do. Just asking because I have no frame of reference, but was there any kind of lock on Nintendo's WiiWare/3DS eShop titles? I'm not finding anything on Wikipedia.

vvv Well poo poo!

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Sep 24, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
DD is region-locked too, yes, and digital games are rarely released simultaneously in all regions. There's no workaround like there is on PSN, either.

Vinchenz
Jul 13, 2012

But trust me, I know that I'm the worst bastard here.
I think it would be amazing if there's a firmware update that lets you play Wii games on the GamePad and you can use the stylus for IR Pointer stuff. Of course we know that's never going to happen... :negative:

I still don't get why VC games can't work on the GamePad. Hopefully they get an update... and more hopefully, they don't do separate WiiU VC stuff with the games we already bought making us buy them again or something stupid.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The short answer is that the Wii U contains a Wii as part of its architecture, so running your old Wii software boots the console into "Wii Mode" and prohibits it from doing anything the Wii couldn't do.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
That's a dumb answer on Nintendo's part though. They could write their U firmware to execute Wii vc code however they want.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
Why do consoles always skimp on the RAM? It's like the cheapest part of the system yet it's always the limiting factor. And 1GB just for the system stuff? That's crazy, why does a console need more than a computer, when most of that stuff should be off in game anyway?

proddo
Mar 13, 2006

A++ would club again

Megaspel posted:

Why do consoles always skimp on the RAM? It's like the cheapest part of the system yet it's always the limiting factor. And 1GB just for the system stuff? That's crazy, why does a console need more than a computer, when most of that stuff should be off in game anyway?

Yeah this has always bugged me.

I'm pretty skeptical of the whole Wii U though, I think it's gonna be another 3DS.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

greatn posted:

That's a dumb answer on Nintendo's part though. They could write their U firmware to execute Wii vc code however they want.

That's not an answer on their part - they're never gonna explain how it works, it's just the most likely conclusion based on what they have told us and how backwards compatibility has worked for all their other hardware.

As for what they can/can't do, they handle in this fashion precisely because it lets them support old software without having to really do anything, which is kinda the point.

Megaspel posted:

They'll probably end up letting devs access portions of the extra RAM for general-purpose stuff as their firmware improves and becomes more efficient, just as they've done for the 3DS.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

proddo posted:

I'm pretty skeptical of the whole Wii U though, I think it's gonna be another 3DS.

Great! The WiiU is gonna start slow, but then pick up real quick after a price drop, and it gets the new games form popular franchises while the completing systems remain too expensive and without any games?

raito
Sep 13, 2012

Megaspel posted:

Not necessarily, the RAM used in video game consoles is not the same as RAM used in computers (which is indeed cheap)

I suspect that Nintendo will put out something like the 3DS which gives more RAM to its developers, though.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

DD is region-locked too, yes, and digital games are rarely released simultaneously in all regions. There's no workaround like there is on PSN, either.

Yeah but if you have a US system you just buy everything with US codes you order online, not that big of a deal.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

boom boom boom posted:

Great! The WiiU is gonna start slow, but then pick up real quick after a price drop, and it gets the new games form popular franchises while the completing systems remain too expensive and without any games?

Or it could actually be the 3DS: start slow, pick up real quick after actually interesting Nintendo games show up on the platform WITH a price drop, then basically drive on based on that and that alone and have months-long droughts in between releases that are actually interesting. For the first year and a half, at least.

Which isn't a fair comparison to make no matter how you want to slice it, and I don't think it's at all applicable. The 3DS literally had nothing of value for six months and plenty of people were turned off by the platform before the price drop and the arrival of actual games. The Wii U is actually launching with 3rd party support that includes games a lot of people want to play, on top of the eventuality that we'll see a big Mario game that isn't The Best Of New Super Mario Bros, we'll see a Zelda, we'll see a (possibly lovely and further character demeaning) Metroid (that will be defended for god knows why). The dudes at Platinum want to make a STAR FOX game, which has real potential to NOT SUCK. Before launch, the Wii U has more potentially going on for it for embittered assholes like myself than the 3DS has had for the last year and a half.

I don't think it'll be like the 3DS. I think it'll do a lot better out the gate, barring anything dramatically stupid on Nintendo's behalf. Some people (like myself) will have a big enough bug up their rear end about region locking that they won't get the system, at least right away, but most will not care. Their online could suck again, but the customers who are going to push the console to financial success will not care.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

proddo posted:

3DS is doing super well, so...

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yeah but if you have a US system you just buy everything with US codes you order online, not that big of a deal.

Theoretically, yeah, but if NSMB2 is a sign of things to come then it's not gonna work nearly as well as it should.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
How did NSMB2 from eshop work? What were its problems exactly, because that's how I was planning on getting NSMBU.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

greatn posted:

How did NSMB2 from eshop work? What were its problems exactly, because that's how I was planning on getting NSMBU.

Nintendo's been pushing a three-tier sales stretegy: you can either buy a boxed retail copy, buy a digital copy from the eShop or buy a digital download card from a retailer, with the idea that retailers will be able to discount digital download cards as they see fit, but the reality is that a lot of places simply don't stock them, and the ones that do haven't been discounting them (at least not to the degree that people like/expect).

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
So were there any problems with the e Shop experience, or do people just not wanna put in their credit card numbers?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
People don't wanna buy from the 3DS eShop because a) digital retail games sell for RRP and never go down in price, and b) no proper account system (yet). The digital code option was supposed to allow for more flexible prices but, like I said, it's not happening.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

People don't wanna buy from the 3DS eShop because a) digital retail games sell for RRP and never go down in price, and b) no proper account system (yet). The digital code option was supposed to allow for more flexible prices but, like I said, it's not happening.

Oh come on... NSMB2 has been out for a month and it's the first simultanious digital/retail game. You have no basis for any assumption that Nintendo will not have price promotions for their eShop games in the future. Heck, this summer just had weekly discounts on various Mario games leading up to the release of NSMB2.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

zenintrude posted:

Oh come on... NSMB2 has been out for a month and it's the first simultanious digital/retail game. You have no basis for any assumption that Nintendo will not have price promotions for their eShop games in the future. Heck, this summer just had weekly discounts on various Mario games leading up to the release of NSMB2.

To be fair, games on steam usualy go on a sale after a month. So there is sort of a precedent for sales happening for digital downloads.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I made that comment based on Iwata saying they don't intend to discount their digital retail releases on the eShop storefront for fear of undercutting retailers, and that allowing retailers to sell digital codes at discounted prices is their way of keeping everyone happy.

It's also worth noting that NOA stopped doing those sales for no reason, and that NOE/NCL wasn't doing them at all.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Hmm, I guess for me I just don't want to swap out the disc. But it if sounding like kind of a ripoff. I may just go with a physical copy.

FoXconn is having some riots at the moment. Do they make parts for the Wii U? Will that affect production?

Edit: Oh I forgot since I have the deluxe model I think that's ten percent points back for other e shop purposes, so I probably will go with that.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

greatn posted:

So were there any problems with the e Shop experience, or do people just not wanna put in their credit card numbers?

Nothing was wrong with the experience, I don't know how people are taking your question so out of context. You paid for the game, downloaded it and it worked.

Edit: Removing part of this. Does anyone know if the discount offered on the deluxe edition work towards digital releases of physical games or is it just for Wii U ware eshop games?

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Sep 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Vaerai Archon posted:

To be fair, games on steam usualy go on a sale after a month. So there is sort of a precedent for sales happening for digital downloads.

Steam, and digital PC games in general, is not comparable to closed systems like PSN/XBLA/eShop.

Both PSN and XBLA have weekly/monthly deals on items that are further discounted if you happen to subscribe to their "premium" services... this seems similar to what could happen with the Wii U, especially since they've already established a discount system in which Deluxe owners will get additional discounts, a-la PS+ or XBL Gold, only better because it applies to everything.

• Locked thread