Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Holy poo poo Verizon sends a ton of spam at their users. In the 4 days I've been a Verizon customer I think I've received 7 texts from them and just as many emails. I need to dig around My Verizon and find the options to leave me the gently caress alone. "Check out our stores for iPhone 5 accessories!" No gently caress off!
Look at the bottom of one of the emails and there's a link to change your preferences. Now I just get one from them every month telling me how much my automatic payment will be and when it will be charged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Jeratain posted:

I went into a Verizon store and wasn't given much help, so I'd like to see if anyone here can give me good advice.

- On Saturday I'm flying to France, followed by Portugal on Thursday. This is a personal trip not sponsored by my work.
- I have an iPhone 5 with an unlocked SIM card. The SIM is ready to be used overseas if I need to roam, but the rates are very expensive ($1.29 a minute for voice; $20 / MB for data).

Is there a way I can get a bucket of voice and data for on the cheap without messing with my plan too much (I'm on a newer plan so there's no worry about losing unlimited data since I don't have it)? Ideally I'd like to get a cheap plan from a carrier in Europe, but I don't know what Nano SIM availability is like in europe for the iPhone5. I've checked with iphonetrip.com and they don't yet support Nano SIMs.

1) Is there a place I can definitely get a nano SIM in Europe that will work on the Verizon iPhone5?
2) Is there a way I can modify my Verizon plan to get more reasonable rates than the roaming rates (e.g.: temporary sign up for the global features for one month and then drop it when I get back)?
3) Is there something else I should be looking at doing instead? I don't have a cheap SIM-ready phone laying around to use as an alternative.

Thanks for your help.

Find a place that can ship you a nano sim cutter before saturday. Then buy a local sim card.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Don Lapre posted:

Find a place that can ship you a nano sim cutter before saturday. Then buy a local sim card.

Or cut down a micro with a pair of scissors. Either way stupid easy to make this happen.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

goku chewbacca posted:

There are two models of iPhone being built for the world.
http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/
http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

The A1429 that Verizon and Sprint are getting supports Verizon's LTE Band 13 (700c) and Sprint's LTE Band 25 (1900 PCS), and all of their CDMA bands. It also supports UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz), which means it will work on AT&T's 2G and 3G HSPA+ network, but does not have their LTE Band 17 (700b). It will also work on T-Mobile's 2G network, and their 3G HSPA+ that they're building on 1900mHz. A1429 also has LTE Bands 1,3, and 5 that networks are using in other parts of the world.

So is the A1429 that the rest of the world gets the same as the one that a Verizon customer would buy, and for the "rest of the world" the CDMA radio and the LTE 13 & 25 bands for Sprint/Verizon just get turned off in software?

In other words could I take my Verizon iPhone 5 to Europe, put in a SIM from a supported carrier listed on that page, and get LTE?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

kitten smoothie posted:

So is the A1429 that the rest of the world gets the same as the one that a Verizon customer would buy, and for the "rest of the world" the CDMA radio and the LTE 13 & 25 bands for Sprint/Verizon just get turned off in software?

In other words could I take my Verizon iPhone 5 to Europe, put in a SIM from a supported carrier listed on that page, and get LTE?

Probably but I don't believe it's been tested.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Hostile negotiations since 1978
Is anyone else totally loving stocked about the Inc-X? Granted, it hasn't been announced but it looks legit and boy I cannot wait to replace my original Inc.

(I've been waiting for a non-AMOLED screen phone that was worth a poo poo for months)

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Psimitry posted:

Is anyone else totally loving stocked about the Inc-X? Granted, it hasn't been announced but it looks legit and boy I cannot wait to replace my original Inc.

(I've been waiting for a non-AMOLED screen phone that was worth a poo poo for months)
Is that the one that's supposed to be 5"? Ridiculous.

The Catalyst
Jan 29, 2003

I'm Mister Hundred and One.

Holy poo poo Verizon sends a ton of spam at their users. In the 4 days I've been a Verizon customer I think I've received 7 texts from them and just as many emails. I need to dig around My Verizon and find the options to leave me the gently caress alone. "Check out our stores for iPhone 5 accessories!" No gently caress off!

They also do that to current customers. When I upgraded my unlimited data line to a 4G phone a few months back they spammed the poo poo out of me for like two weeks straight.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Psimitry posted:

I'm also still using the original Inc. It has been a great phone but even after messing around with custom ROMs, I was never able to get Android running lag-free.

I've been thinking about getting the Note II but I'm waiting to see the specs on the HTC device. I'm not too optimistic though because HTC seems to be trending toward putting undersized, non-removable batteries in their phones. And if it really will have a 1080p screen, then the battery life will be completely hosed.

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

It'll probably stop quickly. They tend to send out a bunch whenever you change a plan or phone, then it drops to pretty much zero.

Yeah the only emails I get on a regular basis are billing information once a month and when LTE coverage expands. I did get an iphone email last friday but nothing about it since then.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Psimitry posted:

Nope. I don't want to carry DIX around in my pocket.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Nope. I don't want to carry DIX around in my pocket.

I was able to fit a Galaxy S3 in my pockets with ease. As well as a One X. Not too concerned about the DIX not fitting. YMMV I guess.

The battery life is a concern. I've seen conflicting reports on the battery. Some say it will be the same battery as the One X, others say it's a 2500mAh job. And yet others are saying it will be the same as the OneX but the 2500mAh will only be in the Nexus 5 version.

It's all so confusing. I wish Verizon would just make an announcement on it.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Whoosh!

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Indeed. Never would have looked twice at that without your saying that. :doh:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Psimitry posted:

I was able to fit a Galaxy S3 in my pockets with ease. As well as a One X. Not too concerned about the DIX not fitting. YMMV I guess.

The battery life is a concern. I've seen conflicting reports on the battery. Some say it will be the same battery as the One X, others say it's a 2500mAh job. And yet others are saying it will be the same as the OneX but the 2500mAh will only be in the Nexus 5 version.

It's all so confusing. I wish Verizon would just make an announcement on it.

Most people are going to have a problem fitting a 5" DIX. Especially if they arn't used to one that size.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

Most people are going to have a problem fitting a 5" DIX. Especially if they arn't used to one that size.
And just because you can fit something bigger doesn't mean it's going to be comfortable. Probably the best thing to do would be to make a cardboard simulacrum and carry that around for a week or so to get a feel for it before buying.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

And just because you can fit something bigger doesn't mean it's going to be comfortable. Probably the best thing to do would be to make a cardboard simulacrum and carry that around for a week or so to get a feel for it before buying.

I'm sure you could look around online and find fake DIX that would be good for simulating the experience of having one.

AppleCobbler fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Sep 26, 2012

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

God drat I still just about piss myself every time I think about that poo poo again. Someone needs to find the actual posts and repost them here again. Great stuff.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

AlexDeGruven posted:

God drat I still just about piss myself every time I think about that poo poo again. Someone needs to find the actual posts and repost them here again. Great stuff.

Granted, I'm new to the thread, but this doesn't sound like a completely unreasonable thing to do. However I'm sure someone went all :goonsay: with it it it went completely off the rails.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

AlexDeGruven posted:

I really like the idea of some nerd making a cardboard phone and carrying it in his pocket. Unless you are wearing girl jeans, almost any phone is going to fit in your pocket just fine.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

I dunno man, back in the day some of those HTC slider-bricks were pretty fiercely oversized.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

God drat I hated my HTC Apache.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

I also hated your HTC Apache

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

The worst part is that the messages all come from different numbers so it's not like you can make one Verizon contact and assign it no ring/text tone.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Ezrem posted:

The worst part is that the messages all come from different numbers so it's not like you can make one Verizon contact and assign it no ring/text tone.
All of mine come from 900080004000. I have it saved as a contact.

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

All of mine come from 900080004000. I have it saved as a contact.

I have 3-4 different numbers that I've gotten texts from, although some are account change and/or billing related.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
The only texts I get from Verizon is one telling me that my bill is ready to view and one that thanks me for paying my bill.

Sounds like you guys need to fool around with your settings on Verizon's site.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They only send you stuff when you can get a new phone and right after. I was getting texts from Verizon for a while and then once the hype around getting a new phone died down, they stopped texting. I'm sure they'll start texting me again in a year when my upgrade is available again.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
I just had a frustrating experience with switching devices on the Verizon site. I had an iPhone 5, with SIM card A attached to line A, and a new SIM card B that I got from the Apple store that I wanted to use to move the phone to line B. So I replace line A with another device, which apparently kills SIM A for 24 hours. Alright, that's why I have SIM B. So I do a device switch for line B, giving it SIM B's number, and I get confirmation of success. I go back to the My Verizon page, and now see that there is no indication that anything went through; it still shows the old device on line B with no "pending order" status. I try it again and SIM B is now killed (for 24 hours I guess, like SIM A). Welp.

I don't understand why we have SIM cards for LTE when it's going to be just like the IMEI for CDMA phones. Actually, this is even worse because of this dumb waiting period; at least with CDMA phones you could switch instantly, even if you had to do it through the website. And here I was thinking that we were finally going to be able to painlessly switch out SIMs between devices like with GSM phones.

Edit: And now I just realized that the old device on line B doesn't work anymore either. Welp!!!

Hikaki fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Sep 27, 2012

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You can switch SIM cards painlessly between devices, I do it all the time.

The problem you are describing is switching lines to different SIM card cards.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Hikaki posted:

So I do a device switch for line B, giving it SIM B's number, and I get confirmation of success. I go back to the My Verizon page, and now see that there is no indication that anything went through; it still shows the old device on line B with no "pending order" status.

For what it's worth, after you put the SIM number in, did you put it in the phone and turn it on? I didn't think the device would show up on there until the phone used that SIM to connect to the network.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005

bull3964 posted:

You can switch SIM cards painlessly between devices, I do it all the time.

The problem you are describing is switching lines to different SIM card cards.

Yeah, now that I think about it, you're right. The iPhone uses a nano-SIM and the old device uses a micro-SIM so that was necessary. I do still wish that I didn't have to register the IMEI though, but I guess in a few years when we drop CDMA that will happen.

kitten smoothie posted:

For what it's worth, after you put the SIM number in, did you put it in the phone and turn it on? I didn't think the device would show up on there until the phone used that SIM to connect to the network.

Yeah I turned it on and let it attempt to activate. It was weird, the old device couldn't make calls, but it still had a 3G connection that it could access.

Everything seemed to sort itself out this morning though. I guess the system is just slow at night?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Putting the IMEI in probably isn't required to work, they just require it cause they do. It probably allows them to properly provision things like visual voicemail since they know you are using an iphone.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Hikaki posted:

I just had a frustrating experience with switching devices on the Verizon site. I had an iPhone 5, with SIM card A attached to line A, and a new SIM card B that I got from the Apple store that I wanted to use to move the phone to line B. So I replace line A with another device, which apparently kills SIM A for 24 hours. Alright, that's why I have SIM B. So I do a device switch for line B, giving it SIM B's number, and I get confirmation of success. I go back to the My Verizon page, and now see that there is no indication that anything went through; it still shows the old device on line B with no "pending order" status. I try it again and SIM B is now killed (for 24 hours I guess, like SIM A). Welp.

I don't understand why we have SIM cards for LTE when it's going to be just like the IMEI for CDMA phones. Actually, this is even worse because of this dumb waiting period; at least with CDMA phones you could switch instantly, even if you had to do it through the website. And here I was thinking that we were finally going to be able to painlessly switch out SIMs between devices like with GSM phones.

Edit: And now I just realized that the old device on line B doesn't work anymore either. Welp!!!

For what its worth, I swap between my gnex and razr maxx quite a bit. Google voice bitches but the phone themselves have no problem activating without me doing anything and everything working just fine within a few min of powering them on. It feels a lot like being on GSM, Just a slight delay for text/voice activation. Data is always instant.

Am I just lucky?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

EbolaIvory posted:

For what its worth, I swap between my gnex and razr maxx quite a bit. Google voice bitches but the phone themselves have no problem activating without me doing anything and everything working just fine within a few min of powering them on. It feels a lot like being on GSM, Just a slight delay for text/voice activation. Data is always instant.

Am I just lucky?
No, you're not.

Last night I tried swapping the SIM between my iPhone 5 and my old Galaxy Nexus, because I was working on an Android app that I needed to test on a real live network.

It was exactly what I came to expect from a GSM carrier. Voice and data worked immediately, no hiccups at all. The "My Verizon" website updated pretty much immediately to reflect what device I was using.

I don't use the iPhone visual voicemail and prefer Google Voice. My call forwarding settings for voicemail were preserved going from one phone to the other and back.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005

kitten smoothie posted:

No, you're not.

Last night I tried swapping the SIM between my iPhone 5 and my old Galaxy Nexus, because I was working on an Android app that I needed to test on a real live network.

It was exactly what I came to expect from a GSM carrier. Voice and data worked immediately, no hiccups at all. The "My Verizon" website updated pretty much immediately to reflect what device I was using.

I don't use the iPhone visual voicemail and prefer Google Voice. My call forwarding settings for voicemail were preserved going from one phone to the other and back.

That's awesome! I'll keep that in mind.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Hikaki posted:

That's awesome! I'll keep that in mind.

Yeah, once you have migrated your accounts to SIMs and have gotten past the initial transition it's quick and easy.

I picked up a cheapo adapter to be able to use the nano-SIM from the iPhone in micro-SIM devices like the Nexus.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
So this is apparently how Verizon resellers drum up business in Utah...

Seems to be a good approach.

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005
I have a dumb question: I have two lines on my contract, line A and line B. Can I swap phones from A-B? Like use line B's phone on line A and vice versa? I'd have to imagine verizon could do this but just want to double check. GF is about to get a galaxy 3 and wants to swap it for my bionic (thats love right there).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

ExtremeODD posted:

I have a dumb question: I have two lines on my contract, line A and line B. Can I swap phones from A-B? Like use line B's phone on line A and vice versa? I'd have to imagine verizon could do this but just want to double check. GF is about to get a galaxy 3 and wants to swap it for my bionic (thats love right there).

Yeah, its called an equipment change and its pretty common.

• Locked thread