Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

A Dutch refugee organisation is reporting that the Syrian governement ( they found no evidence of rebels doing the same) is performing targeted rapes on groups of women and girls of which the youngest found was 8 and most are between 14-16.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Likely the bombing occurred too early for many VIPs to be present, and at least one pro-Syrian government feed is saying it was timed with the arrival of "buses of soldiers" in the morning.

edit: Damascus on lockdown, shaky reports of third major explosion by Hala Jaber and other activist, suspected to be near the foreign ministry or prime minister's office.

MothraAttack fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Sep 26, 2012

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

It's interesting that after yesterday's attack more attacks were promised. I guess they weren't bullshitting this time.

Boldor
Sep 4, 2004
King of the Yeeks

Augure posted:

Absolutely I think their methodology was scientific. Did you read the paper? Nobody is claiming that their sources are unbiased, but you appear to be claiming that their sources are uniformly liars.

Wait, what? It's hard to read irony over the Internet; was this actually a serious post? Reading this paper and what you've posted has made me wonder, perhaps there's more to Obama's intensification of strikes than I've realized and that drones are much cooler and less destructive than we thought.

I mean, for instance, the methodology makes it seem that a level of interaction between researchers and subjects is made that would likely cause its outright rejection from a standard medical journal, or at the very least enough to cause a lack of proper detachment. Alas, the paper doesn't really elaborate; the methodology section is sadly brief considering how important it is. This is to a significant extent unavoidable for various reasons, as stated in the paper, but even if it is true that poo poo data is better than no data, it's still poo poo data.

The best claims made in the paper are things such as those about the unreliability and lack of transparency about US government claims about civilian casualties -- which we already knew even without this paper. Note that well over half the body of the paper is devoted to summarizing what has been said in the past, not presenting new information; maybe I'm just used to reading papers on medicine and biology, but the old:new information ratio is awfully high here. The best that can be said of this paper is that at least there is enough transparency in it to see how shoddy the methodology is: the actual new information amounts to little more than self-selected anecdotes pasted together. And I can't help but note that the paper's claims of the need for secrecy is suspiciously similar to those that the US government makes.

I mean, what's with the appendix? It's either appallingly short, or shouldn't be there at all. It reads as if it were put there to "put a human face to the suffering", which may work from a humanitarian standpoint and making heart-rending propaganda, but not so much "scientifically", because there are only several accounts. It appears it's only there for emotional and not rational reasons. Maybe you could say it's for brevity, but I've read through about a thousand first-hand survivor accounts of the Hiroshima bombings; the high number of said accounts is very much part of the serious literature. Much of that was collated by a single psychologist! So bring it on. Where's the information? What, that's all this paper can present? Where's some sort of cite where we can see more of this?

In a paper in the biological sciences, this new information still wouldn't be worthless, and poo poo data is indeed better than none, but more emphasis would be laid on the data's unreliability. I didn't see anywhere near enough emphasis laid on this.

Also, much of the information in this paper is collated from other sources. While there is indeed much value in a review paper that collects conclusions from disparate sources and puts it together into a new, more coherent whole, this paper is presented to the public as if it had much exciting new information -- which it doesn't.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The Ministry of Defense building is definitely on fire.

Badly.

edit:

the Emir of Qatar is calling for an Arab intervention in Syria, per Al Jazeera.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/americas/2012/09/20129267210189122.html

But Egypt isn't having any.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Sep 26, 2012

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Yep, they've blown it the gently caress up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGXTwoyGbpY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xmb1_IeVehE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fht9vtl-eHw

There's been an ongoing gun battle for 4 hours as well, so this is a major attack by all accounts.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Here's a video from a much close angle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxD0QF1MfL0

It's interesting there's been no reports of any hospitals being surrounded by security forces, which was the case with the July bombing, and has been the case in other countries in similar circumstances when major figures were injured.

Quote from the Syrian information minister, Omran Zoubi, via AP:

quote:

I can confirm that all our comrades in the military command and defence ministry are fine.

Everything is normal. There was a terrorist act, perhaps near a significant location, yes, this is true, but they failed as usual to achieve their goals.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Brown Moses posted:

Well, if we heard it from an information minister it has to be true :downs:

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

iyaayas01 posted:

Erecting strawmen and refusing to acknowledge that there might be methodological concerns with this study makes it that much harder for those of us who actually have serious problems with the U.S. drone campaign but who also recognize that UAVs aren't literal godless killing machines that do nothing but intentionally kill babies and puppies. I understand that North Waziristan is not going to be the easiest place to conduct any sort of rigorous social science study, for a whole variety of reasons, but the proper way to address that is to acknowledge that shortcoming while you make your point, not going :smug:: "Well I guess you just think all brown people overseas are terrorists, typical American."

But keep on keepin' on, clearly your way is the best way to get people to change their minds on the subject (which incidentally isn't going to be easy.)

Are there any good scientifically rigorous pieces on the effects of the drone war? I'd like to read more. It also seems that while the survey might not have been the most scientific, the conclusions reached by the article are pretty accurate as far as the terror felt by the populace, lack of transparency, 'collateral damage' etc. I don't like to start my opinions with the word "seems" though which is why I'd like to read more about the topic.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
Damascus Dan says "There are no FSA infidels in Damascus. Never!"

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

A journalist who was in Damascus Tweeting this morning has just been killed

quote:

Press TV correspondent Maya Nasser has been killed by sniper fire in the Syrian capital, Damascus.

Syria has been experiencing unrest since March 2011. Damascus says outlaws, saboteurs, and armed terrorists are behind the unrest, but the opposition accuses the security forces of being behind the violence.

The Syrian government says that the chaos is being orchestrated from outside the country, and there are reports that a very large number of the armed militants are foreign nationals

Maya Nasser was described by Press TV as "a Damascus-based political analyst" in this piece from June.

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Sep 26, 2012

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Hmm, journalists being targeted?

quote:

The bureau chief of Iran’s Press TV and Al-Alam television networks, Hussein Mortada, has been injured in the Syrian capital, Damascus.

Press TV correspondent Maya Nasser has also been killed by sniper fire in the Syrian capital, Damascus.

Syria has been experiencing unrest since March 2011. Damascus says outlaws, saboteurs, and armed terrorists are behind the unrest, but the opposition accuses the security forces of being behind the violence.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
presstv.ir

Red7
Sep 10, 2008

Laopooh posted:

Are there any good scientifically rigorous pieces on the effects of the drone war? I'd like to read more. It also seems that while the survey might not have been the most scientific, the conclusions reached by the article are pretty accurate as far as the terror felt by the populace, lack of transparency, 'collateral damage' etc. I don't like to start my opinions with the word "seems" though which is why I'd like to read more about the topic.

Brian Glyn Williams (2010): The CIA's Covert Predator Drone War in Pakistan,
2004–2010: The History of an Assassination Campaign, Studies in Conflict & Terrorism, 33:10, 871-892 - is quite good but behind a Taylor & Francis pay wall.

These two are free:

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/14799855.2011.615082

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/17539153.2011.623397

None of them are what I'd call scientifically rigorous in a quantifiable sense, that'll be hard to do until years into the future imo, but their arguments are framed in a wider context than just what selected tribesmen say about drone attacks.

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2010%5C01%5C02%5Cstory_2-1-2010_pg3_5

Thats an interesting article by the one of the people involved in the The Aryana Institute for Regional Research and Advocacy's "Drone Attacks—A Survey" paper, about how the Taliban in the region are able to control the collateral damage count. Which is interesting at least.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

More from the Guardian

quote:

Explosions, then fighting with rebels
A clearer picture is beginning to emerge of events earlier today at the General Staff Command building in Damascus.

Activist Sami al-Shami has told Reuters that the main explosions were caused by a suicide car bombing and second car loaded with explosives on the perimeter of the military complex:

quote:

Then the fighters went inside and clashed with security inside, while some of the men started to torch the building.

There must be several security forces dead, there's no way the rebels could have made it in that far, fighting their way in, without killing any security forces.

Reuters adds that this version appears to tally with accounts from residents who heard gunfire and smaller blasts after the first explosions.

Videos of the fire at the General Staff Command building showed flames engulfing its upper floors, indicating explosives were planted inside the building itself.

The main gate was completely blackened from the fire while all the windows of the building were blown out. Shards of glass littered the nearby streets, TV foootage showed.

The blast gouged a deep crater, apparently where the explosive-laden car blew up.

Residents reported that gunfire rattled out around the district for at least two hours after the explosions. Roads in the area were blocked off as ambulances rushed to the scene.

A reporter for Hezbollah's al-Manar television said he was in the building after the explosion and saw the bodies of three "armed men", suggesting clashes between security forces and rebels at the site.

The video below is said to show government forces celebrating after clearing rebels from the building.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Brown Moses posted:

Real world translation: "HOLY gently caress WE JUST GOT OUR poo poo ROCKED BIG TIME"

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Umayyad Square, where the Syrian MoD is located, used to be known in the diplomatic circles as the "russian roulette" - it wasn't unusual to have a car come from the opposite direction, which, considering it's a roundabout, was surprising to most diplomatic and UN drivers. They've expanded it with tunnels these days, so maybe it's not half as bad.

What's more important though is that it's really close to Assad's palace. There's also a Sheraton there with a view on the MoD (I'm not sure, but it's either in the foreground in that photo, or the photo might be taken from Sheraton itself), where most diplomats stay, so I find it a bit surprising all we have is a grainy picture of the building on fire.

Also, the area directly west from the MoD is where most foreign staff lives - there's a French school, an international Pakistani school, and the now closed American school there, and numerous embassies along Fayez Mansour (we just called it Mezzeh), differentiating from Old Mezzeh a few streets away.

Anyhow, very ballsy on the FSA's behalf.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Gotta counter balance accusations of NATO/FSA bias. Who is killing these journalists in Damascus? The Regime or the Opposition? Both have reasons for doing so.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Re: Iran/Nuclear

Is there any reason Iran doesn't use invest in thorium reactors? Always wondered this, never really got a good answer.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

mitztronic posted:

Is there any reason Iran doesn't use invest in thorium reactors? Always wondered this, never really got a good answer.

Because they don't have the money/talent to develop a completely new technology. And let's be honest, they want nuclear weapons (but what state doesn't?)

Augure
Jan 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

McDowell posted:

Because they don't have the money/talent to develop a completely new technology. And let's be honest, they want nuclear weapons (but what state doesn't?)

Well, what they really appear to want is the capability to make nuclear weapons. It'd be risky and expensive to maintain a nuclear stockpile (not to mention illegal under the NPT) compared to just a nuclear capability.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

mitztronic posted:

I would guess that they dont because it is a relatively untested technology that they do not have the resources to fully develop and the available knowhows are not as familiar with it.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Morsi is currently addressing the UN General Assembly and he has been very aggressive in his speech condemning Assad, even going so far as to talk about the future of Syria without Assad and the need to make sure the country is democratic.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Zudgemud posted:

I would guess that they dont because it is a relatively untested technology that they do not have the resources to fully develop and the available knowhows are not as familiar with it.

That, and it really doesn't make a difference. It's not about nukes, or even nuclear power. It's about finding an excuse to bitch at Iran.

Cosmic Web
Jan 11, 2005

"Stand and deliver, that my hamster might have a better look at you!"
Fun Shoe
Damascus isn't the only place that got bombed recently. Looks like the PKK is stepping it up again:

Al Jazeera posted:

Deadly blast hits eastern city in Turkey

At least seven soldiers killed in Tunceli after a powerful explosion struck their vehicle.

At least seven soldiers have been killed in the eastern Turkish city of Tunceli after a vehicle laden with explosives was detonated as a military vehicle carrying the soldiers was passing, security sources said.

Turkish television footage on Tuesday showed two vehicles in flames on what appeared to be a thinly-populated road connecting two districts of the city.

Al Jazeera's Elif Ural, reporting from Diyarbakir, said that so far nobody had claimed responsibility for the attack.

"The govenors office said that they are still collecting information and will let us know in the coming hours," she said.

"The only confirmation we have, is that a military vehicle was hit and at least seven soldiers were killed and many others injured."

There are reports that the target was a military vehicle.

The cause is not yet known, but there has been heavy fighting in recent days between Kurdish rebels and the Turkish military.

My girlfriend is currently visiting her family in Dersim ("silver door", renamed into "Tunceli", or "bronze fist", by the Turkish government right before they killed off a lot of the local Kurds back in the 1930s) and told me on the phone that the explosion was heard throughout the city and that a neighbor of her mother who happened to be driving down the road was killed when the bomb went off.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

That, and it really doesn't make a difference. It's not about nukes, or even nuclear power. It's about finding an excuse to bitch at Iran.

Is this referring to me? :conf:

I was asking because today I was thinking about how the general consensus in this thread was (back when this discussion was going on months ago) that Iran was not actually building nuclear weapons and there wasn't any proof to say it was for anything but non-peaceful means. I realized that thorium, of which I will concede isn't as well engineered or researched as uranium nuclear, is considered a (far more?) peaceful technology as it can't be weaponized nearly as easily. Probably would have been a better question to ask back then but I didn't think about it.

I actually don't have much of a clue (as an engineer) as to the engineering difficulties of the different nuclear reactors and how much information is available for the different forms, so it makes a lot of sense that they would go with uranium for both engineering reasons (availability of experts) and weaponization potential.

Anyways, my question was pretty well answered, thanks goons.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

mitztronic posted:

Is this referring to me? :conf:

I was asking because today I was thinking about how the general consensus in this thread was (back when this discussion was going on months ago) that Iran was not actually building nuclear weapons and there wasn't any proof to say it was for anything but non-peaceful means. I realized that thorium, of which I will concede isn't as well engineered or researched as uranium nuclear, is considered a (far more?) peaceful technology as it can't be weaponized nearly as easily. Probably would have been a better question to ask back then but I didn't think about it.

I actually don't have much of a clue (as an engineer) as to the engineering difficulties of the different nuclear reactors and how much information is available for the different forms, so it makes a lot of sense that they would go with uranium for both engineering reasons (availability of experts) and weaponization potential.

Anyways, my question was pretty well answered, thanks goons.

Thorium does not generate as much, but it still generates some, and that's all that's needed to whine bitch and moan about it. Also, do keep in mind, that the difference here is that these were reactors that were either already operational and running out of fuel, or reactors which had been sitting unfinished for a long time (after the US provided them).

It really does not matter one iota. It's just rhetoric. If it wasn't this, it would be claiming MEK as a terrorist group linked with AQ and being harbored by Iran or some other tripe.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I've put together a new post on my blog looking at videos showing some of the DIY weapons being used by the opposition in Syria.
http://brown-moses.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/the-diy-weapons-of-syrian-opposition.html

[edit] And on that same theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SIBoBQqrJw

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Sep 26, 2012

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.
One of the Libyans who helped catch Gaddafi died after being kidnapped and tortured. Sad story.:(

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/09/26/14111459-libyan-who-helped-capture-gadhafi-dies-after-alleged-kidnapping-torture?lite

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I've been following that over the past few days, apparently there's a decades old feud between Bani Walid and Misrata, and there's a lot of concern this might reignite it and start a war between the two cities.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.

Brown Moses posted:

I've been following that over the past few days, apparently there's a decades old feud between Bani Walid and Misrata, and there's a lot of concern this might reignite it and start a war between the two cities.

It sounds like something straight out of the city-states era of Italian history.

camel melt
Sep 21, 2006

Mokotow posted:

Umayyad Square, where the Syrian MoD is located, used to be known in the diplomatic circles as the "russian roulette" - it wasn't unusual to have a car come from the opposite direction, which, considering it's a roundabout, was surprising to most diplomatic and UN drivers. They've expanded it with tunnels these days, so maybe it's not half as bad.

What's more important though is that it's really close to Assad's palace. There's also a Sheraton there with a view on the MoD (I'm not sure, but it's either in the foreground in that photo, or the photo might be taken from Sheraton itself), where most diplomats stay, so I find it a bit surprising all we have is a grainy picture of the building on fire.

Also, the area directly west from the MoD is where most foreign staff lives - there's a French school, an international Pakistani school, and the now closed American school there, and numerous embassies along Fayez Mansour (we just called it Mezzeh), differentiating from Old Mezzeh a few streets away.

Anyhow, very ballsy on the FSA's behalf.

Are you Syrian or have you just spent time in Syria? On that note, are there any known Syrian SA posters?

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Are there any good sources specifically on the history of suicide attacks in the Islamic world?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

New Division posted:

^^^^^^^^^^
He's definitely done the best reporting of any Western journalist who has been there.

He's actually Iraqi.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

steve1 posted:

Are you Syrian or have you just spent time in Syria? On that note, are there any known Syrian SA posters?

I spent a summer in Syria a couple years ago, and one of my best friends is of Syrian descent (his dad grew up there) so I could answer some questions you have.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

SpaceMost posted:

Are there any good sources specifically on the history of suicide attacks in the Islamic world?

Not sure if there is, especially since suicide attacks as we're familiar with them are a pretty recent development, I think the first group to use them were Lebanese Christians as well. Basically it depends on what you mean by history, there's no Islamic tradition of suicide attacks so the sort of book you'd be looking for would be focused on paramilitary/terrorist groups primarily in the Middle East since the 70's. Although I guess 40 years is probably long enough ago to be history now.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Dead Reckoning posted:

The problem I have with this study and similar ones conducted by organizations like the Bureau of Investigative Journalism is that their methodology involves interviewing people from the FATA who come forward to claim they were innocent victims of American attacks. In this particular case:

In other words, their conclusions were based on interviews with 69 people, all but one of them men, who were mainly referred to them by an organization that opposes drone strikes. Even if we ignore the questionable sample and loaded use of the word "victim," very few people are going to dime out their deceased relatives as terrorists, doubly so in a culture that prizes family/clan honor and is hostile to outsiders.

None of their interviews were actually conducted in FATA, either. It'd be much more useful if they did a random sample of residents in areas with heavy drone strikes, rather than just victims and subject matter experts/politicians. That way we could really know how average Pakistanis in these areas (which are unfortunately, very hard to conduct research in) feel about drone strikes, terrorist groups, etc.

I've been critical of drone strikes for a long time because of their terrible effects on civilians and their ability to radicalize people, unfortunately this report isn't as useful at it claims to be. There's still value in it, of course, but we can only conclude so much from it.

edit: In addition to your concerns about the organization, there's simply no way to get good, neutral data in these circumstances

quote:

First, it is very difficult for foreigners physically to access FATA, partly due to the Pakistani government’s efforts to block access through heavily guarded checkpoints, and partly due to serious security risks.

Second, it is very difficult for residents of Waziristan to travel out of the region. Those we interviewed had to travel hundreds of kilometers by road to reach Islamabad or Peshawar, in journeys that could take anywhere from eight hours to several days, and which required passing through dozens of military and police checkpoint stops, as well as, in some cases, traveling through active fighting between armed non-state groups and Pakistani forces.

Third, mistrust, often justifiable, from many in FATA toward outsiders (particularly Westerners) inhibits ready access to individuals and communities.

Fourth, many residents of FATA fear retribution from all sides–Pakistani military,
intelligence services, non-state armed groups–for speaking with outsiders about the
issues raised in this report.

This collection should have been outsourced to a Pakistani organization capable of conducting research in FATA. Women should have been used (and trained, if necessary) to ensure data could be collected from women.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Sep 27, 2012

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

steve1 posted:

I am not Syrian, no. I've spent time there and miss it dearly, but my knowledge is limited to Damascus and everything south towards the Syrian-Israeli border, and it's 20 years old at this point.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

iyaayas01 posted:

Erecting strawmen and refusing to acknowledge that there might be methodological concerns with this study makes it that much harder for those of us who actually have serious problems with the U.S. drone campaign but who also recognize that UAVs aren't literal godless killing machines that do nothing but intentionally kill babies and puppies. I understand that North Waziristan is not going to be the easiest place to conduct any sort of rigorous social science study, for a whole variety of reasons, but the proper way to address that is to acknowledge that shortcoming while you make your point, not going :smug:: "Well I guess you just think all brown people overseas are terrorists, typical American."

But keep on keepin' on, clearly your way is the best way to get people to change their minds on the subject (which incidentally isn't going to be easy.)

They did acknowledge those shortcomings in the study, referencing the logistical impossibility of traveling into Waziristan and having to rely on shuttling in people from there to interview - in addition there's been several interviews conducted with people other than Pashtun villagers, including members of the press, government officials and politicians, doctors operating in the area etc. Acknowledging shortcomings though is a far cry from the responses here asserting the paper lacks any credibility at all, from the braindead character assassination of people risking retribution to give firsthand accounts of living under US terrorism as "the equivalent of asking a cigarette manufacturer to provide people for a study on lung cancer" to questioning their 'bias' as 'self-selected anecdotes' from 'selected tribesmen' (ie people affected by the attacks); imagine asking friends and families of 9/11 victims how unbiased they are towards Al-Qaeda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
Bloodiest day of the rebellion, 199 civilians killed, and Russia and China do nothing.

quote:

More than 305 people were killed across Syria on Wednesday, making it the bloodiest day of the 18-month revolt, a human rights group said, after US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton urged action from the "paralysed" UN Security Council.

A total of 14 people were killed when twin bombs rocked the headquarters of the armed forces general staff in the heart of Damascus in one of the most spectacular attacks of the uprising, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.

An Islamist rebel group said its men carried out the attack, and five of its fighters, including a suicide bomber, died during the assault. Its claim was impossible to verify.

The Syrian Observatory said that 199 of Wednesday's dead were civilians.

"This is the highest toll in a single day since March 2011. And this is only counting those whose names have been documented. If we count the unidentified bodies, the figure will be much higher," Observatory director Rami Abdel Rahman told AFP by telephone. - AFP

• Locked thread