Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Gelf posted:

I've been out of the UK for 3 years now, what's all this I'm reading about Justin Lee Collins being an evil mean who abused his partner in really psychologically disturbing and hosed up ways, such as making her write down every single sexual encounter she ever had so that he could use it against her, and if she didn't do it, he said he would leave her.
You mean "the accusations that". Innocent until proved guilty, and all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Gelf posted:

I've been out of the UK for 3 years now, what's all this I'm reading about Justin Lee Collins being an evil mean who abused his partner in really psychologically disturbing and hosed up ways, such as making her write down every single sexual encounter she ever had so that he could use it against her, and if she didn't do it, he said he would leave her.
When did all this come to light?
This is the article I read:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/sep/26/justin-lee-collins-accused-violence-cruelty-girlfriend?newsfeed=true

:stare:

...Oh god he lives 2 miles away from me :gonk:

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

justcola posted:

I had the feeling that the show was pro-mdma, or at least pro-facts. The anti-mdma side of things seemed a little weaker as in the only person who had a negative effect from it seemed like my mates dad, they had a guy called professor parrot who wasn't used to speaking on television and shabz. Probably going to be a few more wobbly jaws this weekend.

Yeah, Shabz would probably put me off taking MDMA to be honest. In fact, all the MDMA users they interviewed other than the older Mancunian guy came across a bit twattish.

My problem with Professor Parrot was that he carried on saying that the effects of MDMA were 'unpredictable' ... surely the point of this whole program was to make things a little more predictable?

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Giedroyc posted:

It's just coincidence I'm sure that a new BBC producer (whose claim to fame prior to that was writing the often parodied comedy gossip column 'funny talk' on the BBC website) dared a relative unknown comedian (who happened to be his flatmate) to a wacky adventure... that the same pair made into a tv show. During the Jane Root era of BBC2 no less.

To be fair the "are you dave gorman" thing was going on well before the tv show, I was reading about it well before it got anywhere near a TV.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I like to think that the whole Are you Dave Gorman thing really was the result of a drunken bet. Everything after that though....

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Someone explain to me the correlation between how entertaining a comedian is and the process by which they became famous

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

The Perfect Element posted:

This was fine by me, because MDMA is loving great

I haven't done it in years but that programme really made me want to do it again.

Had no idea about the Justin Lee Collins poo poo. What a oval office.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

sex pervert posted:

A new series of Russell Howard's Good News starts tonight.

A new series. A seventh series. Of Russell Howard's Good News.

:cripes:

And they loving cancelled loving Shooting Stars and loving Bellamys loving People gently caress

EDIT: And Limmy's Show is still only on in loving Scotland

TomWaitsForNoMan fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 27, 2012

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Dicky B posted:

Someone explain to me the correlation between how entertaining a comedian is and the process by which they became famous

A working comedian tours for years, honing their craft, before they get anywhere near a tv camera. Jack Whitehall has his career handed to him by his father and vomits out awful poo poo on every panel show under the sun straight out of university.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Flatscan posted:

A working comedian tours for years, honing their craft, before they get anywhere near a tv camera. Jack Whitehall has his career handed to him by his father and vomits out awful poo poo on every panel show under the sun straight out of university.
I find him funny and don't give a poo poo how he got in a position to be funny.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Carrier posted:

I find him funny and don't give a poo poo how he got in a position to be funny.

Was your lobotomy voluntary?

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

And they loving cancelled loving Shooting Stars and loving Bellamys loving People gently caress

EDIT: And Limmy's Show is still only on in loving Scotland

Shooting Stars has been cancelled? gently caress. I left for work feeling angry that that blonde haired manboy gobshite had got another television series. Now I've got in and you've made me even angrier. It's days like this that make me wish I had a spouse to beat.

Seriously. Shooting Stars ditched and a man who's kind of a bit funny cause he's all energetic and from Bristol and poo poo, actually there's not very much to him is there so here's a funny thing from youtube instead. gently caress OFF. gently caress.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Dicky B posted:

People who became famous through being funny tend to be funnier than people who became famous because their wealthy and influential father could get them booked on panel shows.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Flatscan posted:

Was your lobotomy voluntary?

If I had a lobotomy I doubt I would be posting on an internet forum discussing a comedian. My opinion doesn't deserve to be ridiculed simply because you subjectively disagree with it and I find it pretty pretentious that you automatically assume a position of authority on the subject of comedy.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Carrier posted:

My opinion doesn't deserve to be ridiculed

It does when you like Jack Whitehall.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

marktheando posted:

People who became famous through being funny tend to be funnier than people who became famous because their wealthy and influential father could get them booked on panel shows.

Wow, I had no idea there was an arbitrary unit of measurement we could use to measure the hilarity level of a comedian. Thanks!

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
Matt Allwright getting piss thrown on him, is there any sweeter sight?

Fake turned real Edit: Also I like Jack Whitehall in Bad Education and Fresh Meat. David Mitchell owns in Peep Show and WILTY and to a slightly lesser degree on panel shows, he sucks on Soapbox and 10 o clock. I prefer the character of Jeremy Usbourne to real life Robert Webb, Webb seems like a self-righteous dick.

"That's not the rowing machine, this is the rowing machine"

WaffleACAB fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Sep 27, 2012

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Rarity posted:

Wow, I had no idea there was an arbitrary unit of measurement we could use to measure the hilarity level of a comedian. Thanks!
Yes I just love when people start attributing this and that to something as subjective as humour.

"Jack Whitehall isn't funny because X, Y and Z." No, Jack Whitehall isn't funny because he isn't loving funny.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > [UK] The Great British programme discussion: we are angry at Jack Whitehall and the BBC nepotism because we are a broken people.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

marktheando posted:

He obviously has an audience though and people enjoy him and find him funny, because he keeps getting booked and allowed to make sitcoms etc. I don't particularly like him but he's clearly doing something right, it's not like somebody's influential daddy can make them this popular without that person also putting in lots of work and finding a fanbase

also, if we're talking about this then I might as well bring up the fact that there's a ridiculously disproportionate amount of comedians in UK TV who were part of Cambridge Footlights. Many of them are even popular in this very thread! It's a different sort of nepotism but it's not that different.

Paperhouse fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 27, 2012

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

sex pervert posted:

A new series of Russell Howard's Good News starts tonight.

A new series. A seventh series. Of Russell Howard's Good News.

:cripes:

sex pervert posted:

Shooting Stars has been cancelled? gently caress. I left for work feeling angry that that blonde haired manboy gobshite had got another television series. Now I've got in and you've made me even angrier. It's days like this that make me wish I had a spouse to beat.

Seriously. Shooting Stars ditched and a man who's kind of a bit funny cause he's all energetic and from Bristol and poo poo, actually there's not very much to him is there so here's a funny thing from youtube instead. gently caress OFF. gently caress.

:toot: gently caress you it's a pain in the arse to make and BBC Three commissioning has nothing whatsoever to do with BBC Two's commissioning who are responsible for binning Shooting Stars.

(disclaimer: my name is on the end of this programme)

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > [UK] The Great British programme discussion: Opinions are only subjective until you disagree with me, then you're objectively wrong.

I like Jack Whitehall. I don't care how he came to fame, I'll just watch things that I like.

Comedy snobs are some of the worst snobs.

"BUH-BUH-BUH-BUT JACK WHITEHALL HASN'T PAID HIS DUES!"

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Sep 27, 2012

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Paperhouse posted:

He obviously has an audience though and people enjoy him and find him funny, because he keeps getting booked and allowed to make sitcoms etc. I don't particularly like him but he's clearly doing something right, it's not like somebody's influential daddy can make them this popular without that person also putting in lots of work and finding a fanbase

also, if we're talking about this then I might as well bring up the fact that there's a ridiculously disproportionate amount of comedians in UK TV who were part of Cambridge Footlights. Many of them are even popular in this very thread! It's a different sort of nepotism but it's not that different.

I don't see how? If the program is good enough to produce them then so be it. Its the same thing in the U.S. with Second City.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Personally I hate Jack Whitehall because he is good looking and women like him.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Rarity posted:

What are you talking about? There wasn't anything about units of hilarity in my post. I was just saying that people who owe their success to nepotism tend to be less talented, I didn't think that was a controversial statement. Are you saying we shouldn't say some comedians aren't funny?

Paperhouse posted:

Oh absolutely, gently caress the Footlights. I'm a fan of many former members, but success in comedy should not depend on what university you went to.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Stop loving talking about Jack Whitehall and the objective/subjective nature of comedy you grumpy chucklefucks.

Christ, it's worse than talking about the psychological profiles of people making small cakes.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

In TV watching news that isn't about how comedy is subjective, Channel 5s' Making Faces is actually really rather good. It's about a team of rather marvellous people who make prosthetic parts for people who've lost an eye/jaw/bit of skull to cancer or injury.

And it's amazing. Some poor bloke had cancer of the lower jaw and the team were in the operating room, taking a wee bit of bone and skin from his lower leg and fashioning a new jaw and tongue out of it while the surgical team were busy whipping out his cancerous jaw. And then another bloke sits in a room for two weeks, carefully painting tiny bits of silicon in fifty near-identical variations of skin-tone, like the worlds' weirdest Warhammer project.

Makes you feel awfully proud of the NHS, and the ingenuity, compassion and patience of people in general when faced with the impossibility of trying to reconstruct someones' whole head out of some itsy bits of metal and rubber.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

While it seems opinion may be divided on how much of an unfunny, gormless twat Jack Whitehall is, at least we can all agree that Seinfeld is the objective pinnacle of comedy... right?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
In many ways Seinfeld owes it's existence to Jack Whitehall.

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

:toot: gently caress you it's a pain in the arse to make and BBC Three commissioning has nothing whatsoever to do with BBC Two's commissioning who are responsible for binning Shooting Stars.

(disclaimer: my name is on the end of this programme)

Go gently caress yourself! I was bitching about the lack of justice in the universe in general. I couldn't give a jap's eye about the technicalities or about your job at the BBC. That's about all there is left to do in this thread anyway since there are gently caress all decent shows to watch on television :bahgawd:

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
If Charlie Brooker were to announce Seinfeld as his favourite tv show, this thread might implode in on itself.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Leyburn posted:

If Charlie Brooker were to announce Seinfeld as his favourite tv show, this thread might implode in on itself.

I don't get this threads obsession with Seinfeld. Why is it brought up here so much?

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Leon with a Zero posted:

I don't get this threads obsession with Seinfeld. Why is it brought up here so much?

There has been many a derail brought about by the warring factions of Seinfeld lovers and Seinfeld haters (also known as the 'I don't get what all the fuss is about' faction).

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Leon with a Zero posted:

A while ago it came up in discussion and some knobber proclaimed all British comedy to be derivative of it. This caused a massive row. When it gets brought up now it's usually a joke in reference to that.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Jack Whitehall's gotten much better in the last two years. Don't love him but don't hate him anymore.

It's not a surprising conclusion though. He's what, 24? Makes sense he's refined his persona and gotten better at joke selection since he was 21 or 22. Comedians generally start at 18 and get better from there, there are very very few examples of honestly good stand-ups in their early 20s.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I like Max Wall and Freddy Star.

The thing about comedians and comedy is that the more popular something is, it tends to be less funny later as comedy is about surprise. Unless the comedy is so old fashioned it's no longer about being funny but rather being comforting. Anyway, I think a lot of modern comedy will fall into this pitfall as it's much easier for anyone to see it at anytime. I'm still somewhat surprised Peep Show gets suggested in this thread to anyone whose English as every DVD collection seems to require at least one series.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Zythrst posted:

I don't see how? If the program is good enough to produce them then so be it. Its the same thing in the U.S. with Second City.

Because it's blindingly obvious that Footlights alumni are given special credence. Look up how many of the people on our screens were in it, it's pretty staggering and comedians graduating from Footlights outnumber those graduating from other universities by many magnitudes.

edit: I've never heard of the Second City, but having looked it up it appears to be a specific comedy institution that any aspiring comedian can join, provided they have the talent. Footlights is a club that is exclusive to Cambridge University students, i.e a tiny minority of people.

Paperhouse fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 28, 2012

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Christ it's turned in to the Chortle forums.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
Lots of universities have a footlights society. The hit/miss ratio for footlights is actually rather high when you weight it up on members vs successes over the last 50+ years. Don't forget the ones who go to the Fringe are generally 'the talented ones' and most of them still fail.

Being in footlights may be an advantage but it's not nepotism. Look at the stunning careers of footlights alumni Mel and Sue, from fringe comedians who guest on French & Saunders, Light Lunch, Late Lunch then... over a decade later supersizers and bake off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Allow me to be hideously self-indulgent for a few minutes, because I've just discovered one of my all-time favourite shows on YouTube and I wanted to tell you all about it and hope that other people remember/liked it.

What has 6 helicopters, 3 OB trucks, some phone boxes, GPS trackers, mobile phones, and is very probably the only show that was better when Richard Littlejohn presented it?

The answer is Wanted on Channel 4, circa 1996/1997. The show basically involved 3 teams of "runners" doing tasks all week across the country, one per day for a thousand quid, pursued by a "tracker" who was paired with another tracker back at base. Taking in leads from the public and using their own skill and guile, their job was to photograph the runners if they saw them, meaning that the runners wouldn't get the prize money for that day.

The week's activities culminated in what was then a very technologically advanced and very expensive hour-long live show on Channel 4. Each team of runners had to pick a phone box on the UK Mainland to hide in, and stay in there for the duration of the show. The trackers had to find them.

The expense of producing this live show, with all of the helicopters and OB trucks relaying links back to London from moving vehicles was a major factor in why the show was cancelled, because the viewing figures were quite poor. Around a million or less by the second series.

I was always really enthralled by it, especially as a massive geek. Now that I get to work with camera equipment on a daily basis, I'm stunned at how they managed to pull off such an intricate show with all of the comms. This was 1996. Mobile phones weren't as good, GPS for the public was in it's infancy despite being around over ten years by that time. Seeing shots of the crew in the background following the runners, you could see that one guy had the very important task of holding an antenna like this:

...and pointing it upwards at a helicopter. Even while in the car, that guy was hanging out of a window pointing it upwards. Whenever links went down, rather than making the show fall apart, it was handled with excitement, and the runners knew they were in with a shot.

A cool addition was the video diary aspect. The runners and trackers had video cameras with them to record their activities each week. This is now something that is ubiquitous through reality TV.

And then in series 2, Ray Cokes arrived. He was more fun than Littlejohn, and the show lost it's dark edge for a more jolly format. A massive step backwards, because the tension was gone.

You can read more about the show here: http://www.offthetelly.co.uk/?page_id=993
And the rules given out to the runners (including some restrictive rules on where they could play, for technical reasons) are here: http://www.ukgameshows.com/ukgs/Wanted_Rules

And if you go this guy's YouTube playlist you can see all but one episode of series 2. None of series 1 are there, sadly: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCB6CBB6587553654&feature=plcp

After the show finished, ABC in America picked it up and did a pilot at a cost of $2 million. They didn't broadcast it.

The format had much better success in Sweden, where TV4 produced a pretty much identical version to Wanted, which lasted for 3 seasons, and a spin off show with a different format.

Could a show like this ever come back? Certainly the comms links would be much better these days, what with 3G backpacks and better GPS, and the social media aspect would be played up, obviously. It may even be a little bit cheaper. But would people like it? I always wanted to be on the original show, despite only being 14 when it was broadcast. If they brought something like this back I'd be all over it, but you just know they'd pick people based on their horrible personalities for entertainment.

Thanks for reading. As you were, UKTV thread.