Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

This is like the feel good thread of the last year(s)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Ultra-awesome ZG. Congrats and everything

Reagle
Feb 16, 2011

Otter you waiting for?
That's great zari-gani! With the DVD coming out and you soon to become the next AD it all just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I've just gotta say you guys have brought me so much joy with this show, can't say thanks enough!

Silly Voodoo
Mar 31, 2011

There will be no clipping!
That is awesome, god drat. I'm half expecting them to just outright ask you to be on the show for one episode.

Maybe they'll do a Game Center CX in Canada episode? :haw:

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

Reagle posted:

That's great zari-gani! With the DVD coming out and you soon to become the next AD

Make this happen, Gascoin

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Man I'm so pleased for you right now. I ain't even jealous. That's rad as hell. It's pretty much everything a (non-creepy) fan could ask for. :3:

Jest3
Apr 27, 2010

zari-gani posted:

But here's the best part:

"For Nina, Thank you for everything. If you come to Japan, please come see us. [Arino's autograph]"

Plus a very sweet handwritten thank-you letter from Kan :3: I am the happiest fan right now.

Amazing, that is the best!

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Dominic White posted:

Congrats! And you should totally take them up on their offer someday. You might even get an appearance on the show.

Oh god no, I'm as awkward as Nakayama and worse at games than Inoue.

Just finished watching all the extra stuff on the DVD. "That Guy Inside My Head" was super hilarious and I wish we could release a subbed version (the staff drawing game characters from memory), the extended scenes from the trip were pretty amusing (phoning Nakayama, who attended California State University 4-5 years ago, and quizzing Arino) and the Die Hard Arcade challenge was good. Definitely recommended to anyone thinking of picking it up.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

zari-gani posted:

No no no no, this will not do. You simply MUST go. After all, you're the reason that they are getting any breaks in the USA.

Besides, we want to see one of our own be worse than Arino. :v:

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

zari-gani posted:

So you're equal to or better than the best parts of two of the best ADs and you don't want to be on the show. :raise:

Kidding aside, congrats on all the cool things. You deserve the cool things.

jadekitten
Sep 25, 2012

zari-gani posted:

"That Guy Inside My Head" was super hilarious and I wish we could release a subbed version

Could you release a subtitle file? I'd buy the DVD in a heartbeat, but I couldn't enjoy it without understanding it.

FireCar
Sep 20, 2002

What's this?!
You know, a very small and select sub-section of nerds would kill for the recognition and swag you earned. Congrats on getting supremely cool stuff (and financial compensation) from the people whose product you have a passion for.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Haha, I don't think anyone outside of Japan has as much GCCX swag as zari-gani at this point.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

RadicalR posted:

After all, you're the reason that they are getting any breaks in the USA.

Well you gotta admit Kotaku introduced many people to the show. Despite the way the show was handled, can't deny their impact.

jadekitten posted:

Could you release a subtitle file? I'd buy the DVD in a heartbeat, but I couldn't enjoy it without understanding it.

Sorry, I'm afraid that then someone will make a subbed video and release it online. The DVD is still pretty enjoyable without knowing Japanese. The artwork alone in that segment is funny (though it's Arino's jabs that make it hilarious) and you can basically get what goes on in the challenges. Plus it comes with the dubbed Kotaku version of Golden Axe! :v: Then there's "Last Continue" in English. That combined with the USA special makes it the best Japanese GCCX DVD for fans who don't know a word of Japanese.

vvv For sure. I don't have all the books and this is my first and only DVD...

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Sep 28, 2012

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011

Mayor McCheese posted:

Haha, I don't think anyone outside of Japan has as much GCCX swag as zari-gani at this point.

I have a funny feeling rdbbb might disagree with that. Though, it's amongst the COOLEST swag, that's for sure.

If only Kan recorded his melliferous yet bitter voice reading the note.

Erwin Tuwonwon fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Sep 28, 2012

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

I just overcompensate for never being able to get the AD Takahashi Wagyan shirt.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Erwin Tuwonwon posted:

If only Kan recorded his melliferous yet bitter voice reading the note.

I just can't see Kan as the scary hardline boss anymore, now that I've seen his Twitter avatar.

zari-gani posted:

The DVD is still pretty enjoyable without knowing Japanese. The artwork alone in that segment is funny (though it's Arino's jabs that make it hilarious) and you can basically get what goes on in the challenges. Plus it comes with the dubbed Kotaku version of Golden Axe! :v: Then there's "Last Continue" in English. That combined with the USA special makes it the best Japanese GCCX DVD for fans who don't know a word of Japanese.

Your argument is not convincing.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Corridor posted:

I just can't see Kan as the scary hardline boss anymore, now that I've seen his Twitter avatar.

Your argument is not convincing.

Hey! We know enough Japanese to get by. We know how to say "Game Over," "baton touch," and "boss." Surely, you can create a really bad sentence using those words.

I'll throw in another one I learned: "nazi" (It's pronounced "nah-zee," not like the Germans in World War II) for "why."

And I also know the kanji for "Mountain." So all in all, I can get by in Japan by asking "Why baton touch game over?" and hopefully being sent on my way. And then if anyone is still confused, I can write "mountain" on a piece of paper for them.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Let's see if I can help your burgeoning Japanese mastery. The kanji for mountain is pronounced "yama".

Except when it's pronounced "san" (or sometimes "zan").

No, written Japanese doesn't ever start making sense.

OrochiKiyo
Sep 9, 2012

Cemetry Gator posted:

I'll throw in another one I learned: "nazi" (It's pronounced "nah-zee," not like the Germans in World War II) for "why."

It'd be romanized "naze". :sweatdrop:

Nipponophile posted:

Yeah, all kanji have at bare minimum two different pronunciations, and usually many, many more when used in compounds with other kanji.  It's crazy. Like, 日 (day) or 一 (one) have a TON of different readings... The most amusing of which (to me) is the word for Sunday: 日曜日 (nichi-yō-bi). It uses the same kanji twice, but they're pronounced differently.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

OrochiKiyo posted:

And pronounced "nah-zay", not "nah-zee". (It takes a lot of finagling to approximate "zee" in Japanese.)

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

OrochiKiyo posted:

These are important things to know before you go and make an rear end out of yourself. But at least I got the word right. I hope. I pray. Or is it "nani..." but I think that's "what." I'll think I'll stick to writing "mountain."

Nipponophile posted:

Let's see if I can help your burgeoning Japanese mastery. The kanji for mountain is pronounced "yama".

Except when it's pronounced "san" (or sometimes "zan").

Thank you sir. Now, I am ready to go to Japan. I know four or five words, can only write one, but now I can say it, and I know about as much about the culture as I do about brain surgery. But if anime has taught me anything, well, I'll be surprised. I don't believe they have an army of giant robots just waiting to go.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Nipponophile posted:

What language does? :v:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
This seems relevant at the moment: I watched the Bomberman episode yesterday and even though I have next to zero knowledge of Japanese Arino and Toujima's "Godesses" routine was pretty hilarious.

lets move on...

FireCar
Sep 20, 2002

What's this?!
I heard you can easily make yourself understood to a Japanese person by saying the English word with a u on the end, saying it slowly, and saying it really loud. For example:

"Do you have any syrup for these pancakes? Syrup. SYRUP. SYRUP-U!"

It works for Spanish, too. Just add o instead of u (you're welcome-o).

jadekitten
Sep 25, 2012

FireCar posted:

I heard you can easily make yourself understood to a Japanese person by saying the English word with a u on the end, saying it slowly, and saying it really loud. For example:

That's really funny. Thanks for making me laugh.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

FireCar posted:

That might actually work, since Japanese has syrup as a loan word.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
In my infinite American-ness I assume that would work and if anyone got confused I would substitute "-des" as a suffix. And now thanks to GCCX my last resort is pointing, yelling ABUNAIII! and then running away.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Gyre posted:

That might actually work, since Japanese has syrup as a loan word.

It's actually pretty close, too. シロップ Shiroppu.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

FireCar posted:

I heard you can easily make yourself understood to a Japanese person by saying the English word with a u on the end, saying it slowly, and saying it really loud.

And if the word ends on a vowel, add an R to the U to make it complete. For instance:

"I went to Japan to see a Samurai. A Samurai. A SAMURAI-RU."

FireCar
Sep 20, 2002

What's this?!

Cemetry Gator posted:

And if the word ends on a vowel, add an R to the U to make it complete. For instance:

"I went to Japan to see a Samurai. A Samurai. A SAMURAI-RU."

I genuinely hope that there is a Japanese person who doesn't understand the word "samurai", but will understand "samurai-ru".

Manfrey
Sep 18, 2006

Frying high
Feering good

Cemetry Gator posted:

And I also know the kanji for "Mountain."

Weird, that's the only kanji I know too. Probably from seeing "Yamanose" on the screen with the kanji under it a thousand times while playing Shenmue.

jadekitten
Sep 25, 2012

FireCar posted:

I genuinely hope that there is a Japanese person who doesn't understand the word "samurai", but will understand "samurai-ru".

Isn't samurai itself already a Japanese word though, or is that the joke, which I apologize if I just destroyed?

jadekitten fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 28, 2012

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Bocc Kob posted:

Esperanto. Unless the you're trying to figure out why someone would speak it in which case it's right back to not making sense.

FireCar
Sep 20, 2002

What's this?!

Random Stranger posted:

Esperanto. Unless the you're trying to figure out why someone would speak it in which case it's right back to not making sense.

I bet those people also use Swatch time (wiki it, it's a good read).

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

FireCar posted:

One of my annoying artist friends (related? maybe!) used a .beat watch for awhile, and confused the poo poo out of anyone asking him for the time.

He was like a really loud irritating militant atheist/christian, except for stupid internet time instead of religion :v:

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

FireCar posted:

Unless the word ends in an alveolar stop ("t" or "d") in which case the ending vowel is "o"

I would assume that words that end in "n" would just stay ending in "n" since that's an allowable syllable-final consonant in Japanese, so it really weirds me out that sometimes it doesn't?

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011

FireCar posted:

Who doesn't use Swatch.beats?

Erwin Tuwonwon hosed around with this message at Sep 28, 2012 around 931 .beats

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Bocc Kob posted:

A lot of languages using an alphabet makes sense, it's just that some of the rules get a little bit complicated. But with the exception of certain loan words, most of English is spelled the way it sounds.

With the exception of the letter C. That letter makes absolutely no loving sense what-so-ever. So I just kind of disproved myself there. And French loan words - there's no way in hell you spell those things without a dictionary on hand. I only remember beautiful from "Bruce Almighty."

But the Romance languages are better about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
English is riddled with wacky spellings, pronunciations, and grammar rules. Even adult native speakers struggle with using apostrophes and how "your/you're", "two/to/too", or "they're/their/there" works. Then you have random stuff like mouse becoming mice, but moose stays moose, while bird becomes birds. Loose/lose, chose/choose, desert/dessert, and so on. These are just the first dumb obvious examples I can think of. English sucks. :argh:

At least with kanji, you can usually figure out what a word means from the characters even if you don't know the exact pronunciation. And any language just takes getting used to. I don't think difficulty really applies unless you get stuck thinking other languages have to use the same logic as your original one.