Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

The Entire Universe posted:

Well that's interesting. Found out About Schmidt had a bunch of scenes filmed in/around my neighborhood.

Kathy Bates was nude in your hot tub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Oh hey, cool. Swiftkey is on sale!

I don't mind paying £0.69 for that, not least because it is 5.6MB and Swype is over 22MB

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

spog posted:

Oh hey, cool. Swiftkey is on sale!

I don't mind paying £0.69 for that, not least because it is 5.6MB and Swype is over 22MB

Checking out the trial now and it seems much more responsive. I want that swype functionality though so I don't have to exert all that physical effort lifting and tapping my finger. Is that possible with SwiftKey?

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Checking out the trial now and it seems much more responsive. I want that swype functionality though so I don't have to exert all that physical effort lifting and tapping my finger. Is that possible with SwiftKey?

Nope, I missed it for a while too but now I'm used to typing with both thumbs and I'm much faster.

I love Swiftkey.

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.
You can't swype on SwiftKey.

e:f,b

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Yeah just man up and work your little baby thumbs out bro

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

This is a very nicely designed app. Quite refreshing when compared to the ugliness of many other android apps.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
How does it compare to the functionality of (x-tremely ugly) Layar?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

This is a very nicely designed app. Quite refreshing when compared to the ugliness of many other android apps.

I used it yesterday and it was pretty amazing. As I drove, it would chime in with a voice description of points of interest (over my car's bluetooth, no less). It freaked me out at first, then I was like :smuggo: I have my own personal tour guide in my car. Sweet.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Splizwarf posted:

How does it compare to the functionality of (x-tremely ugly) Layar?

Been a long time since I used Layar, but this app doesn't work anything like what I remember Layar doing.

It just tracks your location and then pings you with a notification when you're near something cool.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Thermopyle posted:

Doesn't seem like there's any points of interest in the UK, I don't even see an install button :smith:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

nexus6 posted:

Doesn't seem like there's any points of interest in the UK, I don't even see an install button :smith:

Well, we all know the UK is a boring place with nothing of historical value there.

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

Has anyone else been having weird issues with the Field Trip app's location? Yesterday and today, while I've been at work, it's thought I was 20 miles away at home. Google Now has my location correct.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Kathy Bates was nude in your hot tub.

She was nude in her own hot tub, down the street and around the corner.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

the kawaiiest posted:

Nope, I missed it for a while too but now I'm used to typing with both thumbs and I'm much faster.

I love Swiftkey.

Same:

I used swype for a while but the whole swipe motion thing never really made sense to me. And I've found swiftkey's prediction and correction to work extremely well.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Here are today's list of .25 apps

Amazing Alex
TuneIn Radio Pro
Temple Run: Brave
HD Widgets
PicSay Pro - Photo Editor
Monsters Ate My Condo
Flick Golf!
ezPDF Reader PDF Annotate Form
Kids ABC Letters
Rebuild
ZombieSmash
mSecure - Password Manager
MASS EFFECT™ INFILTRATOR
Dragon, Fly! Full

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Are there any advantages to HD widgets if I've already got Beautiful Widgets?

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
Not that I really need the added functionality, but I'll pay a quarter to remove banner ads in TuneIn.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Is mSecure any good?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Athenry posted:

In the past it's been useful to have both for when one or the other fucks themself for a couple weeks with a bad update. $0.25 worth of insurance. Also, different each has different themes and mildly different methods of operation.

I like HD Widgets a little more but don't use either one anymore. v:geno:v

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Bro and Maplehoof: Go beyond the impossible!
:kamina:

Mister Fister posted:

Is mSecure any good?

It's alright. I bought it for full price, but ended up switching to LastPass because it's another 20 bucks for the desktop app. The templates are probably a little more flexible than LastPass, but I don't really use anything other than username/password.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Athenry posted:

I just find HD widgets to look better. It's easily worth a quarter.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Silly Burrito posted:

I just find HD widgets to look better. It's easily worth a quarter.

enough of an endorsement for me.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH

Thermopyle posted:

I know you say this is dynamic, but does it update as the forecast updates? I mean, if this morning the forecast high for tomorrow is 30 degrees but this afternoon the forecast high for tomorrow has been updated to 90 degrees, is this reflected in your calendar?

It updates the weather forecasts for me, yes.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Install Gentoo posted:

I used swype for a while but the whole swipe motion thing never really made sense to me. And I've found swiftkey's prediction and correction to work extremely well.
Yeah, sometimes I don't even have to type stuff anymore. It just knows what I'm going to say. I've written whole posts and emails without actually typing anything other than the first letter of each word. In fact that's what I just did for this post!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

the kawaiiest posted:

Yeah, sometimes I don't even have to type stuff anymore. It just knows what I'm going to say. I've written whole posts and emails without actually typing anything other than the first letter of each word. In fact that's what I just did for this post!

Obligatory:

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
What phones are you using SwitKey on? I picked it up when it was on sale at the beginning of the month and went back to the default android keyboard after a couple days because of how unresponsive it felt on my nexus s.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Used it on a MyTouch 4G and my Galaxy S3, feels perfectly responsive on both (not a big surprise on the latter obviously).

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar
I think I'm going to have to make the switch to swiftkey, too. I use Swype but I feel like I'm just fighting with it and expending more time to pick out the right word or type it in manually anyway half the time.

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now
I use it on my rezound, works pretty good.

Also just wondering, I saw a few pages back about using goodnews for podcasts and such. Until recently I used my ipod classic for music/podcasts/audio books, but now I have bluetooth in my car and headphones for work, I want to use my phone more. I already have mort audio books (and the widget) and I like the default music player for the lock screen controls, so I installed goodnews for podcasts, now how do I get podcasts into it?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

BJA posted:

I use it on my rezound, works pretty good.

Also just wondering, I saw a few pages back about using goodnews for podcasts and such. Until recently I used my ipod classic for music/podcasts/audio books, but now I have bluetooth in my car and headphones for work, I want to use my phone more. I already have mort audio books (and the widget) and I like the default music player for the lock screen controls, so I installed goodnews for podcasts, now how do I get podcasts into it?

Add the RSS feeds for them to your Google Reader account.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
X Plane is now free on Android. Wonder if it's a result of the lawsuit?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.laminarresearch.xplane_default

http://www.x-plane.com/x-world/lawsuit/

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Is there a thing in any RSS reader app where I can mark all the items older than a day as read, rather than marking all as read? I like the GoodNews interface etc. but haven't been able to figure out whether it allows me to do that.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Falls Down Stairs posted:

Is there a thing in any RSS reader app where I can mark all the items older than a day as read, rather than marking all as read? I like the GoodNews interface etc. but haven't been able to figure out whether it allows me to do that.

This is something I've been wanting too. I use that all the time on the Reader website.

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls
I've been using just the regular stock Calendar widget to add my shifts at work onto so it's all on a widget, so it uses Google Calendar which is nice.

It feels like there must be a better app for adding my work shifts on though. It's a bit of a ballache on the stock app. The widget is fine, though.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib
Is there a way to pick up apps which are not compatible with your android device? I'm planning to pick up an android tablet in the near future and a few of the games which are sale I want but apparently are too hardcore for my phone.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Jesus. Sucks to be them :(

Though it seems their partnering up with 9 other companies to shoot down the patent troll. Still will take them 3 years to settle.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

The Dark One posted:

What phones are you using SwitKey on? I picked it up when it was on sale at the beginning of the month and went back to the default android keyboard after a couple days because of how unresponsive it felt on my nexus s.

G2X here. Never had any problems with it.

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo
Just bought a nexus 7 and was wondering if there was a good app that allowed to sync sms / phone calls with my 2 phones. Basically get the sms/phone calls in my tablet. Being able to actually answer calls (instead of just getting the calls log) would be nice but not essential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

LastCaress posted:

Just bought a nexus 7 and was wondering if there was a good app that allowed to sync sms / phone calls with my 2 phones. Basically get the sms/phone calls in my tablet. Being able to actually answer calls (instead of just getting the calls log) would be nice but not essential.

Google Voice can do texts, I think you can WiFi call too.

• Locked thread