Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Q_res posted:

Joking aside, I did come across this during my image search.

TinEye didn't turn anything up. Could this be the fabled Maverick-based 2nd gen that almost happened instead of the pimped out Pinto we got?

It's in one of my Mustang history books. I think it was just a concept for the '71-'73 style. Ford made tons of weird looking concepts for the Mustang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
The only thing I can find on it is this site. http://stangtwo.webs.com/ There's a control at the bottom of the site to kill the overly loud song that plays when it finishes loading.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Q_res posted:

The only thing I can find on it is this site. http://stangtwo.webs.com/ There's a control at the bottom of the site to kill the overly loud song that plays when it finishes loading.

Yeah that turned up in my GIS too. The Comic Sans really makes that site.
There's also this: http://www.mustangii.net/photo_scans_prototype.asp

quote:

TinEye didn't turn anything up.
Use Google Image Search instead. Install the Chrome extension and then you can right click on any image and search Google with the image itself.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

I would unironically drive this thing every day.

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP
Just wanted to mention that new edge mustangs are among the ugliest cars ever created. Goddamn that front end is awful. This includes terminators. Sure the 390hp/T56 is great but it's still ugly as poo poo. That mustang/ranger combo thing is an improvement over a regular new edge.

When I got my 2007 I considered getting a 2004 mach 1 instead but I just couldn't get over how ugly it was.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Rabble posted:

I would unironically drive this thing every day.

Needs stepsides like a Ranger Splash, and a spoiler from a 1990 GT

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

And an SVO swap.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I know that you guys will make fun of me for getting the worst Mustang, but I'd like to know if the base gears in the 2013 V6 are an open diff or limited slip. If it's an open diff, it's worth it to me to wait for a custom ordered one with the 3.31 rear axle, but I'm fine with the really tall gears as long as they have an LSD.

Lenny Descartes
Oct 19, 2007
Got a 2013 GT this summer, and it has been a blast. Probably faster a car than I should own.

As I'm looking at winter tires/rims, is there anything I should look for to make sure they fit over the Brembo brakes besides being 19"? Also do you guys have any suggestions for winter rubber?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Weinertron posted:

I know that you guys will make fun of me for getting the worst Mustang, but I'd like to know if the base gears in the 2013 V6 are an open diff or limited slip. If it's an open diff, it's worth it to me to wait for a custom ordered one with the 3.31 rear axle, but I'm fine with the really tall gears as long as they have an LSD.

A quick google search tells me that all modern mustangs have LSD. The only differences are the ratio, and at the highest end, the Torsen LSD.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Weinertron posted:

It depends on if you think waiting for factory installed gears is worth it (typically not unless you're a collector and want that window sticker stating it came with the better gears). Your dealer, or any competent shop, can swap rear gears for you. I'd recommend buying Ford's gears as I've never heard a complaint about them where I have heard complaints about most aftermarket brands. Pretty much every parts supplier carries a wide selection of Ford 8.8" gears.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Can you install a f150 elocker? You will save on tires with single tire burnouts unless you really want too smoke both at the same time, or you know you are stuck in the snow.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

So I saw some pricing discussion earlier in the thread, so I guess it's not taboo around here. I ordered a 2013 V6 Premium with the Comfort package (the silly pony projection lights) for $23,995 after the $1500 incentive. So $25495 before any rebates applied. How did I do? The order sheet I signed had dealer invoice over $26,000 on it, should I have kept pushing? Or is $50 below Edmunds / KBB's indicated dealer invoice about the best deal I could get while ordering a car from the factory?

On second thought, maybe I don't want to know how much I got taken. I'm comfortable with the amount and should just let it be.

There was a '12 V6 premium on the lot I could have lowballed them hard on, but I like the LCD in the gauge cluster and the adjustable steering feel on the '13s too much, and the one on the lot had the Saddle leather color that I really didn't like. I'm hoping that the 6-8 week estimate for it to be delivered is accurate, anyone here want to talk about how long it took to order a new car?

I had a typo, it's a 2013. Thanks guys, I quoted 5 dealers against each other so I worked for the price, but I'm getting paranoid about what the dealer actually gets cars for. I was excited because I beat X-Plan by $200, but then I wondered if I should have pushed to get more of the dealer's holdback if they were willing to give me some of it already.
VVVVV

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 27, 2012

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I see you meant 2013 not 2011. I would cry myself to sleep if I paid that much for a Ford that wasn't already fully depreciated but it sounds like you got a fair average price for a brand new car.

Elephanthead fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 27, 2012

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Yeah I would say that is probably about average price. My take on buying a car is that if you feel like you got all the car you wanted for the price you wanted to pay, then it's a win. Someone else is always going to get a better/worse deal depending on circumstances so just be happy that you're getting an awesome car that you can (hopefully??) afford.

Edit: never mind

Rabble fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 27, 2012

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Rabble posted:

Edit: I'm already saving up for a base model 2015 ecoboost four banger with the IRS and a performance package. All the extra frills in my 2012 premium are ok, but gas isn't getting any cheaper and radios are replaceable.

Yeah I know the 2015 is going to be a biggie, but I think the current ones are in a good place. I was cross shopping it with the Genesis Coupe and the FR-S / BRZ, and the Mustang was a solid value proposition as well as feeling by far the most practical and still interesting to drive. I wanted more room than my Miata.

Also, I know nobody can predict the future but I would bet that a turbo four + IRS will bump the base cost of the 2015 up a hair, as well as backup cameras being federally mandated, but we'll see.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Weinertron posted:

There was a '12 V6 premium on the lot I could have lowballed them hard on, but I like the LCD in the gauge cluster and the adjustable steering feel on the '13s too much, and the one on the lot had the Saddle leather color that I really didn't like. I'm hoping that the 6-8 week estimate for it to be delivered is accurate, anyone here want to talk about how long it took to order a new car?

My 2012 V6 Premium has adjustable steering too, but with a monochrome character VFD instead of an LCD in the dashboard cluster.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Weinertron posted:

Also, I know nobody can predict the future but I would bet that a turbo four + IRS will bump the base cost of the 2015 up a hair, as well as backup cameras being federally mandated, but we'll see.

I doubt it. The ecoboost is already being sold in cars so it's not like it's "new technology" (I know its just a turbo) and they wont be able to really say how special it is when they're selling it in base model fiestas. The IRS is just a byproduct of selling it in europe. It would be interesting to see if the price goes down because of the economies of scale in making the mustang a world's car (doubtful but it'll recoup some costs to keep prices down).

I see the ecoboost 4-pot as the base model probably hitting around the same performance numbers as the turbo gencoupe, then the V6 for the N/A purists and people who dont want an I4, and finally the V8 for the GT500 and superperformance models. If they can drop the weight by making the car smaller then they will jump to the top of every single performance market that currently exists (IMO) except for luxury performance.

(note, it would be interesting to see if they make the GT a boosted V6 instead of the V8...but I doubt they wouldn't sell a base model V8)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

To be fair, isn't the Ecoboost in the Fiesta a much smaller unit than the one that would likely end up in the Mustang? I just don't see a turbocharged <2.0L four in the Mustang.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The only correct answer is a 2.3T.

Intercooled, of course.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Well yeah, obviously. All I meant was that they really wont be able to say how advanced ecoboost technology is when its in their other cars.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

Rabble posted:

Well yeah, obviously. All I meant was that they really wont be able to say how advanced ecoboost technology is when its in their other cars.

I think the rumored mustang ecoboost the turbo V6 from the Taurus SHO. Also I believe fords "new technology" claim with the ecoboost comes with the motors being direct injected and of the latest engine desgins.

Lord Gaga fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Sep 28, 2012

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
They might as well take the turbo-six for a market test flight. They could create a new package for it and sell it for around the price of a GT. The Ecoboost F150 sells along-side it's V8 brethren at effectively the same price, and the market has been receptive.

Cited from the above link:

quote:

The last time the V6 outsold the V8 in America’s most popular truck was 1985.

If the turbo-six can be embraced by the notoriously finicky full-sized truck market, then there is every reason to believe the Mustang community will be just as receptive. The best aspect of a twin-turbo Mustang --for Ford, that is -- is that it will leave Chevrolet scrambling to respond.

Now, if only Ford had a decent plan to fix Lincoln.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I would like to see three levels of Mustang - stripper model with the ~240hp turbo I4 from the Focus ST, mid-level with the 365hp EcoBoost V6 from the SHO, and top-level with a ~450hp NA Coyote V8. They've got to be able to squeeze another 40hp from the Coyote, but without sacrificing torque like they did for the Boss models.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

The Midniter posted:

I would like to see three levels of Mustang - stripper model with the ~240hp turbo I4 from the Focus ST, mid-level with the 365hp EcoBoost V6 from the SHO, and top-level with a ~450hp NA Coyote V8. They've got to be able to squeeze another 40hp from the Coyote, but without sacrificing torque like they did for the Boss models.

I believe the coyote was designed to be easily adapted to direct injection, so I wouldn't be surprised if we see that implemented in the next mustang.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

oRenj9 posted:

Now, if only Ford had a decent plan to fix Lincoln.

Rebadge the cougar, rebadge it as a lincoln, and put it back on the mustang platform. Send me all the money and serial #0000002

Road_Warrior
Sep 16, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

To be fair, isn't the Ecoboost in the Fiesta a much smaller unit than the one that would likely end up in the Mustang? I just don't see a turbocharged <2.0L four in the Mustang.

I think the 2.0 Ecoboost will go just fine in the Mustang. It's recently turned up in the 3800lb Falcon and has been getting rave reviews, so it should perform well in a lighter car. I know the purists will hate it, but part of the next gen Mustang having global appeal is giving it a fuel efficient powertrain option for markets that are sensitive to running costs.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Isn't there a 1.4-1.6L Ecoboost for their really small cars, though? That's the one I was referring to as a bad fit. A 2.0-2.3L Ecoboost could certainly be a good fit; the midrange torque I get out of my Mazdaspeed3's 2.3L turbo is insane.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Isn't there a 1.4-1.6L Ecoboost for their really small cars, though?

There's the 1.0 Ecoboost three cylinder and the 1.6 Ecoboost, but outside of this thread I've never heard anyone even suggest those might end up in a Mustang.

The rumored engine line-up for the next gen Mustang appears to be 2.0EB, 3.7 V6 and 5.0 V8. Which would really work well as a global engine line for a smaller and lighter Mustang. The 2.3 Ecoboost, well I'm not sure about that, even rumors about it have been quiet for months. I'd file that under "if it happens, it could be awesome, if."

Road_Warrior
Sep 16, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

Isn't there a 1.4-1.6L Ecoboost for their really small cars, though? That's the one I was referring to as a bad fit. A 2.0-2.3L Ecoboost could certainly be a good fit; the midrange torque I get out of my Mazdaspeed3's 2.3L turbo is insane.

Yep, as said above the 1.0L 3 cylinder Ecoboost for the Fiesta. The Europeans also reckon they're going to shove it into the Mondeo :gonk:

There is also a 2.7 litre Ecoboost V6 being worked on, called the 'nano' internally, but whether it sees the light of day is another story.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

The Midniter posted:

mid-level with the 365hp EcoBoost V6 from the SHO, and top-level with a ~450hp NA Coyote V8.

I don't think this one would be cost effective. Either they turn up the boost like a true SVO revival, or they find some way to get more power out of the NA 3.7.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

kimbo305 posted:

I don't think this one would be cost effective. Either they turn up the boost like a true SVO revival, or they find some way to get more power out of the NA 3.7.

The Ecoboost 6 would completely decimate the NA 3.7, no matter how much Ford manages to turn the dial up on it. The 3.5 Taurus SEL runs mid 15s (a bit faster without AWD) in the quarter mile with 290 horsepower while the SHO puts down a 13.7.

If they turn the boost up, even the slightest, a turbo Mustang risks being faster than the V8.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

oRenj9 posted:

The Ecoboost 6 would completely decimate the NA 3.7, no matter how much Ford manages to turn the dial up on it. The 3.5 Taurus SEL runs mid 15s (a bit faster without AWD) in the quarter mile with 290 horsepower while the SHO puts down a 13.7.

If they turn the boost up, even the slightest, a turbo Mustang risks being faster than the V8.

A hand held tuner and a CAI puts the SHO in the bottom 12s. I know it's comparing mods to stock, but I think it's interesting as far as possibilities go. It's for sure a cool engine platform and I don't think Mustang purists would have too big an issue with it.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Anyone with an 11-12 have weird sounds coming from their rear end when doing a low speed turn? I'm taking my 11 GT in tomorrow for some warranty work. The service lady said they have to replace the "rear clutches". I asked her WTF that is and she couldn't explain it. I'm assuming it is a clutch pack in the LSD in the diff, but I might be wrong? The car makes groaning/grinding noises from the rear end when turning at low speed. Lucky for me it is covered by warranty, although this has shaken my confidence in the car.

Anyone else have this/hear of this before?

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

frozenphil posted:

A hand held tuner and a CAI puts the SHO in the bottom 12s. I know it's comparing mods to stock, but I think it's interesting as far as possibilities go. It's for sure a cool engine platform and I don't think Mustang purists would have too big an issue with it.

Anyone who had an issue with it would shut their face once the 0-60 times come out.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Radiohead71 posted:

Anyone with an 11-12 have weird sounds coming from their rear end when doing a low speed turn? I'm taking my 11 GT in tomorrow for some warranty work. The service lady said they have to replace the "rear clutches". I asked her WTF that is and she couldn't explain it. I'm assuming it is a clutch pack in the LSD in the diff, but I might be wrong?

Replacing the clutches in the diff is what they will be doing. The stock clutches going bad isn't common, but it isn't unusual; if that makes sense.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Radiohead71 posted:

Anyone with an 11-12 have weird sounds coming from their rear end when doing a low speed turn?

I don't have this issue with my '11 GT, but I did with a 1995 Z28 that I bought new. After several thousand miles, the diff was really noisy, but a change in fluid plus GM's special LSD additive "fixed" it.

Does Ford even put a service interval on the LSD fluid?

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
What we really need is Ford to bring the street legal Formula Ford to come to the USA. http://www.autoblog.com/2012/09/04/ford-builds-sweet-1-0-liter-ecoboost-powered-formula-ford-w-vid/

An 1.0 liter ecoboost 3 cylinder engine, that is faster/lighter that a Mustang!
good gas milage, stupidly fast, and a brand new market to sell giant wings on FRONT AND BACK of the cars!!!

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, driving a go cart on the highway will go over really well with the American public. The engine sounds promising though if they can keep the car light enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Plinkey posted:

Yeah, driving a go cart on the highway will go over really well with the American public. The engine sounds promising though if they can keep the car light enough.

I'd drive that thing to work nearly every goddamn day. Dead serious.