Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
That's pretty funny. "Why should you be my friend? Power! We need to genuinely like one another so that we can own this town" is a pretty ridiculous basis for friendship. Very vampire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
As memory comes back more, I seem to recall a few Gangrel having friendships that went above and beyond what was politically convenient or useful for survival.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Aren't the Carthians based on interpersonal relationships and the collective strength that comes from being pals with other vampires? I remember the intro fiction to their book describing two Carthians just shooting the poo poo and watching football before they moved on to scheming for power.

Which of the hidden conspiracies of the undead truly understands...friendship?

Punting
Sep 9, 2007
I am very witty: nit-witty, dim-witty, and half-witty.

Kellsterik posted:

Aren't the Carthians based on interpersonal relationships and the collective strength that comes from being pals with other vampires? I remember the intro fiction to their book describing two Carthians just shooting the poo poo and watching football before they moved on to scheming for power.

Which of the hidden conspiracies of the undead truly understands...friendship?

My Little Vampire: Friendship is Treason.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Simian_Prime posted:

His proposal was, "How many elders have genuine friends? None. They have ghouls, minions, and toadies. They have allies and superiors. But when the chips are down, what happens? The allies smell blood in the water and frenzy over who can get the first pound of flesh. The ghouls make a run for freedom, or at least find another Daddy who they can bend over for. That's why they all eventually fall"

"But a coterie? A group of Kindred who hang out because they like each other? That's something they don't understand. And that's why we'll succeed while they fail. So who's with me?"

I thought this was dumb as hell at first. But then I realized a group of soulless monsters steepling their fingers and going, "Yes, we shall be... BFFs," and then awkwardly forcing affection in the pursuit of success is 100 percent spot on and will be great when it inevitably falls apart.

WARDUKE
Sep 18, 2012

Muscly armed warrior with glowing eyes and shit.

Etherwind posted:

As for plot points, a good one is "You're all fledging vampires, but one of you was embraced and dumped without knowing who his or her Sire was. The Prince is very annoyed by this, and so has convened you together with the twin tasks of finding the anonymous Sire and helping this new member of the kindred find a place for him or her self. Why you guys? Well, to an ancient vampire, you're all young, so maybe you can all relate."

Thanks for the idea.

So Requiem over Masquerade? That will make it easy since I have the book for it already.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Immortal friendships are best cultivated as people you see once a decade or so then drift away from until next time.

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Pharmaskittle posted:

I thought this was dumb as hell at first. But then I realized a group of soulless monsters steepling their fingers and going, "Yes, we shall be... BFFs," and then awkwardly forcing affection in the pursuit of success is 100 percent spot on and will be great when it inevitably falls apart.

Now I'm picturing a secret society denoted by the members carrying those half-heart BFF necklaces. You check if the other guy is legit by sneaking off with him to fit your necklaces together. Then you brofist and plot to eat your elders.

Group meetings are carried out as sleepovers. Everyone wears their fanciest PJs and gossips about how that Toreador who didn't show up is such a huuuge slutbag, oh my God, and did you see what the prince was wearing last night? Gag!

Since vampires are essentially Mean Girls on steroids anyway this seems completely plausible to me.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Tiny Deer posted:

essentially Mean Girls on steroids

Somebody needs to run this. Right loving now.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I should mention that Danse Macabre has an entire section on how some elders, due to the differing standards of adulthood and youth in the past, are teenagers physically and have had to learn how to text and gossip in order to keep up the masquerade.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Mors Rattus posted:

I should mention that Danse Macabre has an entire section on how some elders, due to the differing standards of adulthood and youth in the past, are teenagers physically and have had to learn how to text and gossip in order to keep up the masquerade.

I really need to get that book.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Pharmaskittle posted:

Exactly. I had my character propose this idea with the full knowledge, as a player, that it would be doomed to fail eventually. We got along well enough at the hunt - discussed trading boons, got some blood from drunken hipsters, followed around a ghouled poodle with a taste for cats (ok that part was a little ridiculous) - but eventually rivalries and animosity are going to set in.

Still, I like roleplaying my character's doomed idealism.

quote:

My Little Vampire: Friendship is Treason

HA!...

... wait, does this make us Vronies now? :drac: :ranbowdash:

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

crime fighting hog posted:

I really need to get that book.

Yes you do. It is seriously amazing.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Error 404 posted:

Somebody needs to run this. Right loving now.

Go watch Heathers.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Reene posted:

Immortal friendships are best cultivated as people you see once a decade or so then drift away from until next time.

This reminds me. I'm really sick of games and books and stories where a character is immortal, but all the action happens in like 8 months. What's the point? Spread that poo poo out a bit, you've got time. Maybe play a campaign that starts right after the Camarilla collapsed, runs a while in the dark ages, then as people go into torpor for whatever reason, it starts up again in the 1700s, then again in the late 1800s, then just jumps forward a decade after every couple major events until you are in the modern day. Really take advantage of stuff like immortality, let people sleep off the marks of their diablerie, let torpored high-bp low humanity characters from the early campaign actually come back to bite you centuries down the line. And remember that vinculum you used to control that one invictus guy, way back when? It wore off while you are sleeping. He's the sheriff now. Hope you were nice to him!

Make it so that stuff like computers are kind of frustrating because they just got invented last session and now they are everywhere. And bloodlines like the Menemosyne or however its spelled, the mekhet torpor memory guys, are really useful because you are going through torpor and losing memories without them.

A grand vampire campaign would be sick as hell.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
A game like that is going to make it impossible to build any sort of power in the mortal world; every one of your pawns, everybody they knew, and a few generations of their greatgrandchildren will be dead every new session.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
That was actually why I liked Prince of the City. It all takes place over about two centuries, so while it's pretty bland, it's actually kind of unusual for White Wolf fiction.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Pope Guilty posted:

A game like that is going to make it impossible to build any sort of power in the mortal world; every one of your pawns, everybody they knew, and a few generations of their greatgrandchildren will be dead every new session.

You want to the time jumps by story, not by session - have short-ish game arcs of 4-6 sessions each set in a period, and give the players some opportunities to prepare for the future as they go, too.

Kind of a grand tour through world history.

I kind of want to run this, too bad I'm in the middle of a massive Mage campaign already.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Pope Guilty posted:

not really, it just means that you need to set up cults and maintain contacts with other immortals who aren't going into torpor. "Hey Victor, I'm going away for a few decades, watch my restaurant" or maybe "Hey lawyer dude at the bank I founded, here's a shitload of cash, set me up a trust fund that can't be accessed for the next century.

I mean sure if you spend all your time investing in individuals then you will lose out longterm (although a good DM will probably make those individuals worth the expense) but you can combat this in a lot of ways.

also your guys aren't necessarily going into torpor every time the world jumps. Maybe you set things up in the session, then the GM decides how it played out in the intervening centuries.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Nick at Nite posted:

You want to the time jumps by story, not by session - have short-ish game arcs of 4-6 sessions each set in a period, and give the players some opportunities to prepare for the future as they go, too.

Kind of a grand tour through world history.

I kind of want to run this, too bad I'm in the middle of a massive Mage campaign already.

Funny, I've written that exact campaign outline a few weeks ago. Must be something in the hive-mind.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Mummy's developers are so eager to tell us about the awesome poo poo they wrote that it's entering our loving dreams.

I'm not joking man. my radio antennae are gonna freak the day before it comes out.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Liesmith posted:

And remember that vinculum you used to control that one invictus guy, way back when? It wore off while you are sleeping. He's the sheriff now. Hope you were nice to him!

Viniculm wears off?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Volume posted:

Viniculm wears off?
It takes for-gently caress-ever, but yes. I believe the time interval is 50 years (for vampires; something like 5 or 1 year for mortals) and you make a resolve+composure(+/- the difference in BP possibly) roll, success means it breaks. That time is time you have to spend without contact with the regnant. It can also break if you're an absolute shithead to the recipient all the time.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Volume posted:

Viniculm wears off?

Yep. which is AWESOME if you're dealing with centuries. Way to make an enemy for eternity by temporarily enslaving a cunning, immortal predator, idiot. Hope that 50 years was productive because now you can't ever sleep safe again.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Liesmith posted:

also your guys aren't necessarily going into torpor every time the world jumps. Maybe you set things up in the session, then the GM decides how it played out in the intervening centuries.

I planned to do this years ago with my Vampire: Dark Ages campaign in college. I ended the session with the characters leaving Paris to seek their fortunes, then planned to start the campaign next semester in the modern day, with the characters now ruling the night as powerful elders. I never got back to school to start it, though. :(

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Dark Destiny has arrived.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
I have this sudden urge to see if I can run something like Hellsing using a kludgeup of Hunter and other stuff.

This has to be nothing short of a gloriously bad idea.

Correction: Hellsing + Evil Dead + Scooby Doo. I want the campiest demonslaying adventure ever. :suicide:

InfiniteJesters fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Oct 2, 2012

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
In that case, you'd better throw in some Hardy Boys.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Liesmith posted:

not really, it just means that you need to set up cults and maintain contacts with other immortals who aren't going into torpor. "Hey Victor, I'm going away for a few decades, watch my restaurant" or maybe "Hey lawyer dude at the bank I founded, here's a shitload of cash, set me up a trust fund that can't be accessed for the next century.

I mean sure if you spend all your time investing in individuals then you will lose out longterm (although a good DM will probably make those individuals worth the expense) but you can combat this in a lot of ways.

Not necessarily torpor, either. Allow people to have been awake for that period of time but have to lose humanity. Let them exchange skill points (and maybe more humanity) on a 1 for 1 basis. Give them an experience penalty on picking up new skills.

Those that slept during the period have more humanity and easier access to the newer period centric skills to represent being better able to focus on the now and not having been monsters for the past X00 years. Let the player direct what their characters did during the centuries when circumstances make these old friends/acquaintances come together again.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
The Requiem for Rome: Fall of the Camarilla campaign is structured like that, so that might be a good place to look for rules and systems to deal with that kind of episodic campaign.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Loomer posted:

Dark Destiny has arrived.

The only review on Amazon. Of course rated 5 posted:

When I first picked up this book, I was reluctant. But the more I read, the more enchanted I became! Being a Vampire myself, I grew to love reading what many others find amusing about Us.

My favorite story in this book was the story of Maria the Vampire. I'm sorry, but I can't remember the title right off hand but it's an intriguing story of the love a vampire has for a mortal woman. And in the end she dies for that love. It was a wonderful tale of vamprism, lesbianism and straight up love.

I would recommend this book to anyone with a love for thrilling stories and a dark heart.

Enjoy.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Loomer posted:

In that case, you'd better throw in some Hardy Boys.

Needs Kolchak too. :v:

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I never read reviews for White Wolf products. I want the horror to be a pleasant surprise, a slowly growing feeling of revulsion and disgust at the writers.

That and I'd buy them anyway, for the Project.

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time
Anyone checked out Undying yet?

It's apparently based on Apocalypse World's mechanics (which I know nothing about), while being fairly heavily based on the two WoD Vampire settings (the vampire lore, that is, the setting is pretty much completely open). Since looking at mechanics without playing them is up there with quantum physics for me, I can't really comment on how good it is. It's still in alpha, but whether it's worth giving a shot or not, I don't know.

Project1 fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Oct 2, 2012

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

InfiniteJesters posted:

Needs Kolchak too. :v:

That's a weird way to spell Hellboy.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Werewolf 20th is live! Kickstarter is going to ruin me.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

I don't really know that I can work myself up to care or feel all that nostalgic about OWoD werewolf. Of course, I really haven't ever played it and don't know all that much about it -- the groups I was in pretty exclusively hewed to VtM.

I'm more excited about Mummy finally coming out hopefully soon, dang, and that comes as a surprise to me. If someone had told me this time last year I'd be anticipating that book, I'd have laughed at them.

Etherwind
Apr 22, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!
Soiled Meat

Project1 posted:

Since looking at mechanics without playing them is up there with quantum physics for me, I can't really comment on how good it is.

To be honest, unless it's really terrible or you're already familiar with a very similar system, it's difficult for most people. The most you can say in an informed way is "This does/doesn't appeal to my preferences." Obviously, really terrible games are the exception to this rule of thumb, since bad mechanics are usually glaringly apparent.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

moths posted:

Werewolf 20th is live! Kickstarter is going to ruin me.
I know it will get funded, but I still am hoping it doesn't since Werewolf has always ended up being a fantastic barometer for how terrible of a player/person you are for me. Probably from all the gross sex poo poo they put into those books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Etherwind posted:

To be honest, unless it's really terrible or you're already familiar with a very similar system, it's difficult for most people. The most you can say in an informed way is "This does/doesn't appeal to my preferences." Obviously, really terrible games are the exception to this rule of thumb, since bad mechanics are usually glaringly apparent.

I wouldnt go so far as to say they are glaringly apparent. I mean sure, genuinely terrible ideas like mixing roll over and roll under, or using like 20 different types of dice without an obvious method, that poo poo stands out. But fiddlier things like figuring out that the WoD 9 again rule is statistically insignificant takes a lot more effort.

also ahaha I googled wod 9 again rule to look for the math and there's yawgmoth breaking it down in the first result

• Locked thread