Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Did playing around with the buffer have no effect? Even though it is an interface and you are using ASIO drivers, it could still be the issue. Try setting it very low and very high ( >= 1024 samples) and see if that has any effect.

The output config in Live probably isn't the issue either. That screen only determines what outputs are available to be selected in Live, not which ones are actually being used. Looking at your screenshot, you're only using 1/2.

For the echo while recording, what might be happening is the synthesizer is monitoring what you play while Ableton is also outputting the audio you are feeding it. It looks like there's a 'Monitor' knob on the left hand side of the Ultranova. If the knob isn't turned completely counter-clockwise to the "From Host" position, try setting it there and seeing if that fixes the echo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
I've got a question concerning MIDI data. I have a MIDI keyboard that also has assignable knobs and I use this to control an external synth through Ableton (Keyboard -> MIDI Input, MIDI Output -> Synth). Is there a way to record the notes and velocity I play on the keyboard into Ableton, but not the knob and pitch/mod wheel movement?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
In the MIDI/Sync options for that keyboard - check "Track" but do not check "Remote", that should do the trick.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

That doesn't seem to work, since the MIDI CC data from the knobs is in the "Track" part of the data. Disabling Remote doesn't don anything in this regard and still records keys and knob movement.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

FLX posted:

I've got a question concerning MIDI data. I have a MIDI keyboard that also has assignable knobs and I use this to control an external synth through Ableton (Keyboard -> MIDI Input, MIDI Output -> Synth). Is there a way to record the notes and velocity I play on the keyboard into Ableton, but not the knob and pitch/mod wheel movement?

This is the sort of situation where I'd use Junxion or Bomes MIDI Translator to separate the knob messages onto another channel/device before it reaches Live. Could that work for you?

I suppose Max 4 Live may be able to do it but I haven't got that myself.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

ynohtna posted:

This is the sort of situation where I'd use Junxion or Bomes MIDI Translator to separate the knob messages onto another channel/device before it reaches Live. Could that work for you?

I suppose Max 4 Live may be able to do it but I haven't got that myself.

Thanks! I haven't got Max4Live either, but the other apps are a great suggestion! I'm currently trying the free MidiPipe for OS X, which lets me filter out those messages too. I'd like to add the messages back into the signal "after" Ableton though, so that I can tweak the synth's sound with the knobs, while Ableton sequences the notes. Kind of like a software MIDI merger. This might work with MidiPipe too though. I'll experiment some more with it and the demo versions of Junxion and Bomes.

EDIT: Yay, it works with MidiPipe :dance: I'm deleting any CC data from the signal before it gets to Ableton and then I merge Ableton's note signals with only the "live" CC data from the knobs after Ableton.

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Aug 10, 2012

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.
Is anyone in the beta test for Bitwig?

EDIT - You know what would be a really tiny adjustment for Ableton, but which would make a world of difference for me? If they fixed the goofy auto coloring of clips to render in the same color across a row. Then it wouldn't look so clownsuit all the time.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Mandals posted:

Is anyone in the beta test for Bitwig?

EDIT - You know what would be a really tiny adjustment for Ableton, but which would make a world of difference for me? If they fixed the goofy auto coloring of clips to render in the same color across a row. Then it wouldn't look so clownsuit all the time.

Preferences -> Look & Feel -> turn off Auto-Color Clips

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

khysanth posted:

I'm fairly sure that isn't the exact problem. The Ultranova IS an audio device/sound card and i'm using ASIO and all of the manufacturer/Ableton recommended settings on that front.

Do you have a new Mac with usb3 by any chance? There are issues with some USB 2 devices on the new macs, but you can downgrade the drivers and get the devices working again.

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

h_double posted:

Preferences -> Look & Feel -> turn off Auto-Color Clips

But then it makes every clip the same color, which isn't much better because you still need to go through and change each clip manually if you want your rows to look all pretty.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
You can shift-select a range of clips and color change them all at once.

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

h_double posted:

You can shift-select a range of clips and color change them all at once.

I know. I just want it to inherit the row color. It's a minor tweak, but I think it'd be cool if they implemented it.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I want different colors for different clips on a row, and I don't give a poo poo whether they fit each other, so I'm good :)

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Gaspy Conana posted:

I have a Moog Expression Pedal plugged into the back of my Axiom 25 (1st edition) and the response is super jumpy. I've tried switching the Takeover Mode in the settings, but it's almost the same for each mode. Any idea how to remedy this?

Anyone? :)

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!
quick question - I'm using a Max for live sequencer for a drum track, and I want to record my whole "master" mix. however, given my drums are max for live w/ no actual midi notes being recorded, I can't get the drums to record along with the rest of the song. I've tried everything - I created a new audio track set to "master" and it still does nothing.

to clarify - I can hear everything I want to record, but I can't get it to just record my drums as a live audio track.

nevermind - figured it out, apparently i had to make an audiotrack and make the input the same track the sequencer was on. fantastic.

Chim fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Aug 29, 2012

Radio du Cambodge
Dec 3, 2007

I've noticed that when I have samples all lined up and touching each other, especially drums, there's this lovely clicking sound when the one sample ends and the next begins. If I put a tiny fade in between each clip it more or less solves the problem, and I can tell that it's just a "monophonic issue" where the audio signal switches abruptly from some random location in the waveform to the start of the drum sample. This is the problem I'm describing, at the beginning, then with little fades in between hits after two or three bars.

Is the only way to avoid this using something (plugin or Simpler or something) to trigger samples independently, or just fading in between every drum hit? I'm used to doing everything in the sequencer and like working that way but maybe it's just not the best way to go about it...

Strangely enough I've been using ableton for about 3 years and have only recently noticed/started to become bothered by this.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Zoom in on the sample and make sure it starts and ends on a zero crossing; that is to say, when the waveform is at the midpoint of an up/down cycle.

h_double fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Aug 31, 2012

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

Even if you don't chop your samples at zero crossings you can get rid of the pop by putting a short attack on it.

edit: I guess that's what he said his solution was. That's usually what I do to fix pops rather than chop every sample perfectly.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
There's actually an option under the Warp/Fades section "Create fades on clip edges". This will automatically add a brief fade-in/out on clips. Careful though - it can and will destroy transients. It's generally better to switch that option off and just use a good audio editor to trim your files at a zero-crossing.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Your sample can end on a zero crossing all it wants, if you butt in somewhere in the middle with another sample that starts on zero, you're still may get a click. Luckily, Live's fades can be adjusted to only fade out the old, so that your transients of the new sample stay intact.

Radio du Cambodge
Dec 3, 2007

Yeah I turned off the autofade option cuz it adds a little fade at the start which, as mentioned, cuts out the transients of my drums. I guess I'll just keep adding a tiny fade at the end of adjoining clips. Thanks.

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
I recently purchased a Samson Go Mic, and for some reason the microphone only seems to record into the Left channel - the right channel is receiving no input at all. I am using Utility to adjust this, but I would rather not have to do that as Utility is just a quick-fix solution right now more than a correction of the actual problem. Does anyone have any advice for how to remedy this?

OtherCubed
Nov 12, 2008

:ese::saddowns:

Tostito posted:

I recently purchased a Samson Go Mic, and for some reason the microphone only seems to record into the Left channel - the right channel is receiving no input at all. I am using Utility to adjust this, but I would rather not have to do that as Utility is just a quick-fix solution right now more than a correction of the actual problem. Does anyone have any advice for how to remedy this?

Someone will know way more about this than me, but I had the same problem a while back with a samson g-track and it turns out that you have to record in mono for the microphone. I think there's a way to have the line-in recording something on the other channel, so you could play guitar and sing at the same time or whatever.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Tostito posted:

Go to the Audio tab of Live's Preferences screen, and click the "Input Config" button. This should take you to a screen where you can set up the input source as either mono or stereo ins:

If you turn off the "1/2 (stereo)" option, but leave "1 (mono) & 2 (mono)" enabled, you should be able to set the input selector of an audio track to a single mono channel:

Dr Rotcod
May 20, 2004
I see the consistently reoccurring disappointment and failure you will continue to cause yourselves.
Alright so I'm finally gonna give in and try loop recording on stage with a click to layer synth parts during songs. Is there an ultimate "Loop Recording in Live" tutorial anyone can recommend? I'm gonna be using Omnisphere and hopefully I'll be able to automate patches and stuff to do this.

1karus
Jan 29, 2006

The Fun Machine
Took a Shit and Died
Is anyone here familiar enough with custom python scripting (http://remotescripts.blogspot.com/p/apc-64-40.html) to be able to tell me how to go about turning the scene launch section of my APC40 into clip launch track 9? I've skimmed over the remotescripts blog, and it's really daunting.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
My band just got a Roland Octapad SPD-30. We're trying to use it to trigger midi in Ableton.

So we hook it up to my laptop by USB. We bang on the Octopad and the 'midi in' levels light up. But the weird thing is that it doesn't seem to be sending any midi notes. If we assign it to a drum rack and start playing, not one of the little squares indicating a note lights up.

Even weirder, if you get another midi instrument is playing, banging on the Octopad will somehow modify or re-trigger the existing midi data from the other instrument. :confused:

I cannot for the life of me figure out what's going on. I thought hitting each pad would just trigger a midi note, but it doesn't seem be the case. We're poring over the instruction manual but can't work it out. Is it something to do with midi channels?

Soup in a Bag
Dec 4, 2009
If the manual isn't helping out, you might try using either MIDI-OX for Windows or MIDI Monitor for Mac to figure out exactly what the Roland is sending.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Thanks for the tip. Here's what it's sending:

It looks like it's sending notes, so I'm even more confused. Can anyone make any sense of this?

Another discovery: if I record the device as I'm playing it, it records midi notes, but almost none of the notes produce any sound when I get midi instruments to read them.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Popcorn posted:

Another discovery: if I record the device as I'm playing it, it records midi notes, but almost none of the notes produce any sound when I get midi instruments to read them.

It's sending the strikes as instantaneous events. I.E. the note off is sent immediately after the note on. Also, the velocity seems quite low (should be able to re-configure it's velocity curve instead of breaking your wrist hitting it harder).

I'd put Live's Note Length and Velocity MIDI effects in front of the instrument you're triggering.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

That fixed it, thanks! So the problem was the note was turned off immediately as it was turned off? The note length effect seems like a bit of a hacky way to fix that... I'll see if I can find a way to edit it at the source.

Thanks again.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Yup. Only a few, expensive, types of electronic pads track the entire duration of a pad strike, sending continuous pressure aftertouch so brushed drums can be emulated.

Normally, the target instrument is a sampler set to play in one-shot mode (in Live's Simpler, put release to max), or using an Attack/(Hold)/Release envelope with the hold/release stage duration modulated by the strike velocity so harder hits ring out for longer.

Anyway, glad to hear you've got it working. Enjoy!

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

I understand that hitting the pad would only create a single-hit, very short length. The bit I don't understand is why if I open a synth VST and set the release to maximum, hitting the drum still doesn't make any sound. Surely setting the release to maxmum and the attack to zero would still create audible long notes, even with split-second note lengths?

Adding the note length effect fixes it, I just don't understand why it has to be fixed at all.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Popcorn posted:

I understand that hitting the pad would only create a single-hit, very short length. The bit I don't understand is why if I open a synth VST and set the release to maximum, hitting the drum still doesn't make any sound. Surely setting the release to maxmum and the attack to zero would still create audible long notes, even with split-second note lengths?

Yeah, I'd expect the note to sound with those settings too. The sustain level is set to 100%, right?

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Yeah.

Also doesn't explain why the midi notes don't flash on the drum rack.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Popcorn posted:

Adding the note length effect fixes it, I just don't understand why it has to be fixed at all.

Even with the attack set to its shortest time, most synths need at least a millisecond or two for the envelope to open up fully.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

I've been thinking about this some more. I also use an Akai MPK mini controller which has some pads. When I hit those, they play midi notes no problem. Why is this Roland different? This still seems suspicious to me.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
1) The Roland pads are sending MIDI notes just fine, the device on the receiving end just needs a little massaging of the data. This sounds like a flippant answer, but is valid when you consider

2) MIDI is a 30 year old protocol, one designed to be open-ended enough that there aren't always well defined best practices for every possible situation. MIDI data can be pretty klunky.

3) The Roland pads transmit a momentary trigger message, while the Akai pads are pressure sensitive as well as velocity sensitive. That is, they can transmit varying pressure changes over the course of a single note (like aftertouch); they send data that has a concept of note duration rather than just a single hit.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

OK, that explains it a bit. I'm really just seeking understanding here, because the Roland isn't acting in line with my understanding of midi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010
I'm working more and more with tempo-less or free form music, and I want to incorporate Ableton into that for some live gigs. However, I'm finding it rather hard to make loops repeat and work properly since Ableton is so bent on ALWAYS working with tempo and having everything very square. Does anyone know if it's possible to work in free form and if yes how?

And also, is there any way to not make the reverb of a loop stop when the lopps stops? It sounds rather awkward when a 2.7 second long reverb/delay tail ends abruptly.