Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Technique posted:

The worst thing is that i can't think of any single pairing that WOULDN'T already have fanart. This scares me.

One of the amusing things is that one pastebin document with names for many of the pairings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

Lord of Laughton posted:

What I find interesting is how every single article I've seen lately (from the CNN one to O'Malley's or others) always describe it as a comic where 4 friends play a game that will save the world, or save/destroy the universe, or some iteration where the kids' actions have an effect on the fate of their world.

Of course, this may be discretionary on the part of the writer to not give away the fact that, really, nothing the kids do is going to save the world from being destroyed.

Don't forget that, in the case of CNN or whatever, a bored staffer has a set amount of time to finish an article. Do you think he's going to do a wikipedia search and 5 minutes on tumblr, or read 5000 pages of deliberately dense chatlogs?

graybook posted:

One of the amusing things is that one pastebin document with names for many of the pairings.

I ship a thousand rabid cosplayers in grey body paint with a meek webcomic author that has no idea how to respond to them.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also you don't want your catchline to be overly verbose and complicated. "Internet friends play a game that has serious consequences" is what I'd go with but "Internet friends play a game to save the world" is good for hooking people.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Fister Roboto posted:

Also you don't want your catchline to be overly verbose and complicated. "Internet friends play a game that has serious consequences" is what I'd go with but "Internet friends play a game to save the world" is good for hooking people.

O'Malley uses the line "four 13-year-old internet friends trying to play a computer game that will either save or destroy the world", which not only includes the save the world hook, it one-ups it and does it in a way that remains 100% literally true.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Additionally, "play a game to save the world" is exactly what John, at least, thinks they're doing, initially.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Playing a game to save the world is a fine description. For one thing it describes what the goal seems to be for the first couple acts, which is what is most important as it gives a new reader some context for the early parts. By the time they realize that saving "the world" as the planet they lived on isn't really the goal, they'll likely be invested in the story.

You could also interpret "the world" in a more abstract sense to mean "all of existence" and it still kind of describes what the characters are trying to do now.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

A funny thing from that BLO'M interview that I didn't know:

Andrew Hussie posted:

For some characters I really quickly took to using a fan-made troll text conversion app.

:lol:

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off

Hussie posted:

The ones that are more frustrating tend to be the kind of haters who once seemed like they were into it at some point, but one thing or another soured them on it and now all of a sudden the whole thing is crap...

Is it bad that I can think of several moments in Homestuck that this could easily be describing? Because man I definitely know what he means here. The one that REALLY jumps to mind is the people who cried foul at Kanaya's initial "death" as if it was some kind of negative statement/bash against lesbians, somehow.

That whole response, actually, reminded me of that whole ridiculously overblown "the characters are whatever race you want them to be" debacle. Was that the "dark period" he refers to, perhaps?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

CidGregor posted:

The one that REALLY jumps to mind is the people who cried foul at Kanaya's initial "death" as if it was some kind of negative statement/bash against lesbians, somehow.

Wait, what?

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off

Wrist Watch posted:

Wait, what?

I don't recall specifics but there was at least one small tumblr circle out there that got really up in arms about Kanaya's death and accused Hussie of making a negative statement against lesbians by killing the character that was the closest thing to a lesbian the comic had.

As I recall though they welcomed Homestuck back with open arms when Kanaya had her triumphant return.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

CidGregor posted:

As I recall though they welcomed Homestuck back with open arms when Kanaya had her triumphant return.

Actually, a related and perhaps smaller subgroup just got more pissed because of the "lesbian vampire" trope. And after the initial rage they were never heard from again, as far as I remember.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

CidGregor posted:

Well it really was the best possible return a character could have, I can't blame them.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

CidGregor posted:

Is it bad that I can think of several moments in Homestuck that this could easily be describing? Because man I definitely know what he means here. The one that REALLY jumps to mind is the people who cried foul at Kanaya's initial "death" as if it was some kind of negative statement/bash against lesbians, somehow.

Wasn't there another point where he was being a bit ignorant of homosexuality in a Tumblr post, though? How he handled Dirk I think?

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Wrist Watch posted:

Wait, what?
From mspadventures Formspring:

AchillesAndT: Would you mind addressing the concerns of some that the death of Kanaya is some sort of commentary on homosexuality?

AH: All I can recommend is you let the whole story run its course before you find it guilty of making any sort of anti-gay statement.

I mean I'm not the tiniest bit anti-gay personally but I won't expect that assurance to pass for outright dismissal of those concerns. So really, just wait it out.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Regy Rusty posted:

You could also interpret "the world" in a more abstract sense to mean "all of existence" and it still kind of describes what the characters are trying to do now.
It doesn't help that Homestuck has a really vague interpretation of space in general. There's the kids' planet, then Skaia, which is... elsewhere, and if you're a bored omnipotent villain, you can just kinda fly out of the Universe entirely.

Another way of looking at that description is that it's not really clear what's supposed to happen in Sburb. Maybe the game starts with Caliborn and ends with Act 7, maybe there are millions of other sessions out there who just win normally, start a new universe, and keep on truckin'.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Here's a real summary of SBURB and Homestuck (sort of):

What's supposed to happen in a normal successful game: play the game, end the world, make a new universe, cycle repeats. Yee-haw.

What's happening here: A group of trolls play the game, oh poo poo they can't win, they reset, more trolls play the game, they win, except oops due to outside influence (Doc Scratch/Lord English) they gently caress up their new universe. So the humans in the new universe play the game, oh poo poo due to the aforementioned troll screw up (among other things) they can't win, so they reset, only they manage to escape the reset along with the original trolls (the ones that aren't dead), because the trolls' universe is ending because of something happening inside in the future (Slick kills Snowman) that has to happen because of outside influence (Lord English). Together the kids and the surviving trolls are all on their way to the new universe (which is also bugged up because of outside/inside influence (Lord English/Her Imperial Condescension)), where together they will find a way to stop Lord English once and for all. Oh, and eventually create a new universe.

And somehow, somewhere, somewhen, two cherubs, Calliope/Caliborn, fit into this, especially since Caliborn most likely becomes Lord English.

It's all so simple you wonder why you even bothered to ask.

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 2, 2012

Doug Rattman
Sep 10, 2011

Formerly known as Doug Rattman

Technique posted:

The worst thing is that i can't think of any single pairing that WOULDN'T already have fanart. This scares me.

CalibornXMituna maybe

Makaris
May 4, 2009

Doug Rattman posted:

CalibornXMituna maybe

Nah dude, Doc Scratch/Dad OTP.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Oh man. I found a SBaHJ quality anti-homestuck blog, it's hilarious reading a fundie-christian's theories on how every character is secretly satan. Here's a sample:

http://anti-homestuck-blog.tumblr.com/
On a deeper examination I feel like this is a parody... but a heavy dose of Poe's Law keeps me from being confident.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 2, 2012

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
There's no way that's serious. It basically went off the deep end, wrapped around to the shallow end, then went off the deep end again.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Pretty much guaranteed to be a parody, yo.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

If it wasn't parody it wouldn't be using an SBaHJ-style font.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

pumpinglemma posted:

If it wasn't parody it wouldn't be using an SBaHJ-style font.

Or MS-Paint coloring Kanaya into a space suit, for that matter. It takes a special kind of determination in doing that to tell you about the evils of not being able to breath in space.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Elysiume posted:

One true pairing. The ship that is the only legitimate one in your mind.

It's worth noting that the average Tumblr user always has multiple, sometimes contradictory, OTPs.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Triskelli posted:

Oh man. I found a SBaHJ quality anti-homestuck blog, it's hilarious reading a fundie-christian's theories on how every character is secretly satan. Here's a sample:

http://anti-homestuck-blog.tumblr.com/
On a deeper examination I feel like this is a parody... but a heavy dose of Poe's Law keeps me from being confident.

There is absolutely no doubt that this blog is a satire.

As the kickstarter rolls to a close, i'm kicking myself for thinking about donating more here. After all there is only $300 between a snoutpak and all the paks.

Also I rolled the dice and got Calliope x Eridan :3:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
So that O'Malley interview is pretty cool, but the page has mad spoiler images like #whoa. But then again I guess there's nobody reading it that isn't already reading Homestuck, so whatever.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Color Printer posted:

Here's a real summary of SBURB and Homestuck (sort of):

What's supposed to happen in a normal successful game: play the game, end the world, make a new universe, cycle repeats. Yee-haw.

What's happening here: A group of trolls play the game, oh poo poo they can't win, they reset, more trolls play the game, they win, except oops due to outside influence (Doc Scratch/Lord English) they gently caress up their new universe. So the humans in the new universe play the game, oh poo poo due to the aforementioned troll screw up (among other things) they can't win, so they reset, only they manage to escape the reset along with the original trolls (the ones that aren't dead), because the trolls' universe is ending because of something happening inside in the future (Slick kills Snowman) that has to happen because of outside influence (Lord English). Together the kids and the surviving trolls are all on their way to the new universe (which is also bugged up because of outside/inside influence (Lord English/Her Imperial Condescension)), where together they will find a way to stop Lord English once and for all. Oh, and eventually create a new universe.

And somehow, somewhere, somewhen, two cherubs, Calliope/Caliborn, fit into this, especially since Caliborn most likely becomes Lord English.

It's all so simple you wonder why you even bothered to ask.

You forgot to mention Vriska (Vriska).

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Seoinin posted:

So that O'Malley interview is pretty cool, but the page has mad spoiler images like #whoa. But then again I guess there's nobody reading it that isn't already reading Homestuck, so whatever.

It has images, but if you've never read Homestuck they're going to be so out of context as to be inscrutable. Two dogs are sword-fighting? Somebody wrote kill me on a devil girl's face? Somebody lives in a magical rainbow land?

By the time you get to those points in the story, I don't think it's going give much away.

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."
Man when was the $2mil goal reached? Because it's already passed $2,100,000. Looks like getting a full digital copy of homestuck actually has a chance of happening, time to bunp my pledge up to $80 to get a physical copy of the game so I can get in on the ground floor of this thing.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
"Wow, the game got funded! That's cool! Still, I bet donations will really drop out now. No way homestuck rasies one million." - Me, in real life, about a month ago.

:stare:

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Chexoid posted:

"Wow, the game got funded! That's cool! Still, I bet donations will really drop out now. No way homestuck rasies one million." - Me, in real life, about a month ago.

:stare:

I'm eager to see how many people won't come through on their pledges when it turns out they have to actually give the money they said they would give.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
They'll give alright, and for it they will go to hell = grounded FOR LIFE

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

ActionZero posted:

I'm eager to see how many people won't come through on their pledges when it turns out they have to actually give the money they said they would give.

A boggling notion: even if a full 50% of the money turned out to be dust in the wind, he'd still have over one million dollars.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
What was the magic number for kickstarters? After lost payments, the kick back to kickstarter itself, and taxes, the amount the owner can reasonably expect to actually get is something like 80%, right?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Oh, poo poo is about to go down.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Oh poo poo, John's done it now.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 6, 7.

Shockingly, no 8's.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Man it was worth the wait. I wonder if this is Bec Noir's weakness?
Also what ^^ said.

Unfortunately, the downside to this is that we will never know what the Mcconaughey's like.

ArfJason fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Oct 3, 2012

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Oh poo poo, John's about get his rear end woken up. Took out a good 12th or so of Jack's heath, though.

Here's a still image for those curious:

Ariong fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
Jack: Stop and acknowledge the bunny sassacre fedora John just made.