Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

Is the Nexus 7 still having screen problems? I'm guessing not as bad since there had to have been different shipments by now but I'm still wondering.

I just got one on Saturday and the screen is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Sheep posted:

That's good. Guess it was just an early batch issue.

low-key-taco, not much in the way of smoothness to be had from JB. Google's definition seems to be more transitional animations. I like some of the features and bugfixes so I'm sticking with it, but it is what it is. A point release.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Sheep posted:

Good to know, thanks!

General_Failure posted:

low-key-taco, not much in the way of smoothness to be had from JB. Google's definition seems to be more transitional animations. I like some of the features and bugfixes so I'm sticking with it, but it is what it is. A point release.

Jelly Bean actually does make things smooth. My Nexus S is actually running faster than it did on Gingerbread and ICS, same goes with my boyfriend's Nexus S.

The Galaxy Nexus is pretty smooth as well as I've used it a bit in Sprint's store and in a local electronics store. The Nexus 7's smoothness seems to be a combination of Jelly Bean + the Tegra 3.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

low-key-taco posted:

Not really seeing much improvement in 'smoothness' on my tf700 with JB. The custom launcher I think was screwing things up but after a reset it still seems pretty similar to ics. If my wife hadn't recently gotten a Nexus 7 I wouldn't know how smooth the device could be which is a pisser. I guess the high res screen is just too much for the hardware?

People have made that complaint about the retina MBP and iPad 3 too so I guess its a trade off. Seems like a worthwhile one to me though.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

ThermoPhysical posted:

Good to know, thanks!

Jelly Bean actually does make things smooth. My Nexus S is actually running faster than it did on Gingerbread and ICS, same goes with my boyfriend's Nexus S.

The Galaxy Nexus is pretty smooth as well as I've used it a bit in Sprint's store and in a local electronics store. The Nexus 7's smoothness seems to be a combination of Jelly Bean + the Tegra 3.

I suppose I didn't have any issues with ICS either except when the OE did a kernel release that was for the worse, so maybe I just didn't notice. Everything in JB seems to be pretty much instant, but it was like that for me with ICS. The only notable difference being screen rotation. JB improved that greatly, even with the added rotational transition animation.
They are both a great improvement over their predecessors though.

edit: Oh hey. There's another new thing in JB I just saw. A toggle for showing notifications in the apps management menu. Unless that's a part of Nova, but I don't think it is.

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Oct 2, 2012

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Yeah, I still occasionally get slightly laggy home screen transitions, settings menu pop-ups and app transitions. I don't know nescessarily if it's the GPU/CPU being unable to keep up (which would be odd, since most 3D games I've played only exhibit slight framedrops, and generally only the kind of games like NOVA, Dead Trigger etc, the latter which seems to run at the full 1920x1200) or if it's the incredibly poor I/O performance holding it back. Seriously, go run a few benchmarks and compare it to, poo poo, any phone from three years ago. The 700 has TERRIBLE I/O performance.

Nothing will ever change that, unfortunately. The very particular combo of NAND and I/O controller the 700 uses have massive issues, which become even worse when multiple writes are involved. Go download 5-6 apps in the background while trying to use Chrome, and witness just how jerky things can get.

edit: Oh gently caress me, I didn't preserve root. Now I can't use browser2ram :(

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

nightwisher posted:

Yeah, I still occasionally get slightly laggy home screen transitions, settings menu pop-ups and app transitions. I don't know nescessarily if it's the GPU/CPU being unable to keep up (which would be odd, since most 3D games I've played only exhibit slight framedrops, and generally only the kind of games like NOVA, Dead Trigger etc, the latter which seems to run at the full 1920x1200) or if it's the incredibly poor I/O performance holding it back. Seriously, go run a few benchmarks and compare it to, poo poo, any phone from three years ago. The 700 has TERRIBLE I/O performance.

Nothing will ever change that, unfortunately. The very particular combo of NAND and I/O controller the 700 uses have massive issues, which become even worse when multiple writes are involved. Go download 5-6 apps in the background while trying to use Chrome, and witness just how jerky things can get.

edit: Oh gently caress me, I didn't preserve root. Now I can't use browser2ram :(

Manufacturers can do funny things. I was surprised when it was mentioned that the Wi-fi chip for my tablet is connected to the SoC via both USB and SDIO. It gives them options I guess? Or that my Ideos has a multitouch compatible screen but it can only be used as such by using a mod ROM because it was never enabled in stock configurations. etc.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
In 40 or so minutes, hopefully I can confirm that you can downgrade safely from JB to ICS even unrooted.

All I can confirm right now is: Holy poo poo Asus get some faster loving servers already.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Sheep posted:

I just got [a Nexus 7] on Saturday and the screen is fine.

I think this was luck of the draw for you. I got one from Staples a week ago and the screen was noticeably bad in a 2" stretch on one side. It wasn't really the screen lifting at all, but if I put any pressure on the screen there it would cave in slightly. The annoying part was I checked it when I got it and it seemed fine, so I think even light use for a day or two can bring out the screen problems. When I returned it and told him why, the Staples guy said "yeah, we've gotten some returns for that issue."

sourdough fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Oct 2, 2012

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Third-party read support for NTFS isn't the tricky part.

What's the tricky part? Is there something besides licensing?

I have a 1TB external that my TF101 spins up just fine with RW privileges.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

General_Failure posted:

That the Anal... sorry Ainol tablets had an internal SD corruption issue. Well and truly fixed. Apparently before better firmwares came out the way to do it was format the internal memory to 64k cluster size. Guess I was right about it being a fatfs issue.

So yes really happy with mine. My daughter loves her Aurora II now. She doesn't want to let go of it. When we started talking about getting one for her the Ainol store.. goddamn that's a terrible name... anyway it had the Aurora II on special for $97 I think it was.
I know it's no Tegra 3 Nexus 7 etc.. but it's like 1/3 the price and runs everything I've thrown at it except Tegra specific games of course.
You already gave your daughter her Christmas present? Glad she likes it, but what's she going to get to open on Christmas morning?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

randyest posted:

You already gave your daughter her Christmas present? Glad she likes it, but what's she going to get to open on Christmas morning?

The RMA.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Love that one, though the 'smart cover' portion of it never works, so that might be something to watch out for those that care. Took a quick and nasty photo of mine with my phone, apologies in advance.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

blugu64 posted:

Love that one, though the 'smart cover' portion of it never works, so that might be something to watch out for those that care. Took a quick and nasty photo of mine with my phone, apologies in advance.

One of my co-workers stopped in my office today to show me this case. The smart cover on his worked perfectly fine. It's kind of janky that you have to unfasten two of the clips to prop it up.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

blugu64 posted:

If I recall correctly on the first iteration of this case the magnet didn't work. It was fixed quickly after and I thought I read that people got a free second one if they bought the first one. Might want to look into it. I have this case and mine works fine also.

As for the two clips, once it breaks in a little you don't have to manually push them off.

Cragz
Jun 16, 2005
Too orangey for crows!

RVProfootballer posted:

I think this was luck of the draw for you. I got one from Staples a week ago and the screen was noticeably bad in a 2" stretch on one side. It wasn't really the screen lifting at all, but if I put any pressure on the screen there it would cave in slightly. The annoying part was I checked it when I got it and it seemed fine, so I think even light use for a day or two can bring out the screen problems. When I returned it and told him why, the Staples guy said "yeah, we've gotten some returns for that issue."

Much the same with a purchase from Walmart during a trip to the States two weeks ago. Grabbed a replacement from the same store before my holiday ended and it's absolutely fine. Definitely luck of the draw, still.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

RVProfootballer posted:

Cragz posted:

Much the same with a purchase from Walmart during a trip to the States two weeks ago. Grabbed a replacement from the same store before my holiday ended and it's absolutely fine. Definitely luck of the draw, still.

Guess I'll just have my friend check it out before he sends it. Besides the screen lift, anything else I should have him check for without actually having to turn it on?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Cragz posted:

My second one is good after two days so far :hfive: I also got a second $25 credit unintentionally. I have two Gmail accounts I use, added them both on both Nexuses, and got the Wallet prompt for one account the first time and the other account the second time. I didn't mean to steal from you Google :ohdear: except when I realized what was happening and used a different card.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Guess I'll just have my friend check it out before he sends it. Besides the screen lift, anything else I should have him check for without actually having to turn it on?

Not that I know of, everything else on mine was perfect. Also, just to be clear, mine had almost no "screen lift" just looking at it from the side, but pressing on one spot made it clear the screen wasn't seated correctly (or something) there.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

randyest posted:

There's other stuff. It was a bit of a debate, but it's something that's useful that she can benefit from. One of the first things she did was request educational titles. Primarily mathematics. So its doing its job.

What's the hard part about NTFS support? It should just need one of the NTFS modules compiled against the kernel. I think even my tablet supports it, but then why the hell would I have an NTFS formatted SD card?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

General_Failure posted:

What's the hard part about NTFS support? It should just need one of the NTFS modules compiled against the kernel. I think even my tablet supports it, but then why the hell would I have an NTFS formatted SD card?

Store large HD movie rips would be my reason, unless there's another file system that would be better for this that I'm unaware of?

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Store large HD movie rips would be my reason, unless there's another file system that would be better for this that I'm unaware of?

ExFat probably

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

How big is the speaker problem on the Nexus 7?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Good point with the partition type with large movies, but then unless you were just storing wouldn't there be a potential IO bottleneck for the bitrate?

It may seem a touch hypocritical but this PC has an 800 or so GB NTFS partition. The only reason is so on the rare occasion I use Windows it can access the large storage partition. I don't know if the ext2/3/4 driver for Windows situation has improved in the past few years but it used to be pretty bad and corruption-tastic.
Now I think of it I can't think of any good reason not to format my 32Gb MicroSD with an ext2/3/4 filesystem besides effort. It'd also allow me to boot linaro. But I'm still torn on why I'd want to do that.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

ThermoPhysical posted:

How big is the speaker problem on the Nexus 7?

What speaker problem?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Cakefool posted:

What speaker problem?

New one to me. I haven't heard of it either.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I was going to say the same thing, but I think someone earlier in the thread said they had a staticy (staticky?) speaker and got a replacement.

I've got a question about movies I've grabbed online - I use MXPlayer on the Nexus 7 and sometimes it won't play movies, or won't play the audio. Is there anything I can run the movies through (usually MKV, sometimes AVI) to make sure they'll play?

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
I've also had problems getting audio to play in MX Player on my nexus 7, but so far it's always been fixed by switching to software decoding for audio. Go to audio settings (the music note in the top right when playing a video), and and deselect hardware decoding for audio. I haven't had a video straight up not play yet though, including the formats you mentioned, but maybe try turning into off hardware decoding for video as well?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
The Nexus 7 speaker is definitely tinny but I've not experienced any problems with mine other than the fact that some retard in Asus' design bureau decided to put it on the rear of the device (and thus pointing away from the user) for some stupid reason.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Edited

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Oct 3, 2012

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Konjuro posted:

I've also had problems getting audio to play in MX Player on my nexus 7, but so far it's always been fixed by switching to software decoding for audio. Go to audio settings (the music note in the top right when playing a video), and and deselect hardware decoding for audio. I haven't had a video straight up not play yet though, including the formats you mentioned, but maybe try turning into off hardware decoding for video as well?

I'll give those a try - on my first N7 movie playback worked fine but it was unlocked and rooted purely so I could use an OTG cable. I haven't done anything with the replacement yet except install a bunch of apps.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

General_Failure posted:

Good point with the partition type with large movies, but then unless you were just storing wouldn't there be a potential IO bottleneck for the bitrate?

Huh. I usually format my removable drives with NTFS for the speed bump if I need to copy a lot of data. For daily use, I think it's trivial.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Sheep posted:

The Nexus 7 speaker is definitely tinny but I've not experienced any problems with mine other than the fact that some retard in Asus' design bureau decided to put it on the rear of the device (and thus pointing away from the user) for some stupid reason.

Very few devices have speakers facing forwards, sadly. My archos dealie had stereo front facing speakers but had to be nearly an inch wider to accommodate them. Rear facing speakers are a lot more effective if you place your hands to cup the sound forwards, but this limits you to holding a tablet in both hands, a bit impractical to show something or watch a whole movie.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

krushgroove posted:

I was going to say the same thing, but I think someone earlier in the thread said they had a staticy (staticky?) speaker and got a replacement.

I've got a question about movies I've grabbed online - I use MXPlayer on the Nexus 7 and sometimes it won't play movies, or won't play the audio. Is there anything I can run the movies through (usually MKV, sometimes AVI) to make sure they'll play?

Do they use DTS for audio? MX player removed the codec in the newer versions because of licensing issues.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Cakefool posted:

What speaker problem?

General_Failure posted:

New one to me. I haven't heard of it either.

Sorry, guys. Had to finish up with work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmx7RxU5Oww

In this video and the comments to this video, it seems the N7 has a few speaker issues. The most recent comment, 5 days ago, also has this issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJFf8W7FkQ8

After a replacement, it seems things are fine though. I was just wondering how widespread the problem is.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Apparently not very as I haven't heard of the problem either before now.

In other news, Pew released some new data yesterday.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/02/pew-research-center-tablet-ownership-report/

22% of US adults now own tablets. Android tablet marketshare (as surveyed) up from 15% in 2011 to 48% in 2012 (21% of that being the Kindle Fire.) The survey was done before the release of the Nexus 7 as well, so that could change numbers a bit.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 3, 2012

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Now for a question that isn't about the flaws of the Nexus 7.

Do you still get the magazines when you buy a new tablet and how do they work?

Are they lifetime subscriptions or just free one-time issues?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

They are single issues. I don't know if you still get them or not with a new Nexus 7 (and if you do, I wonder what month they are for since mine were July.)

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
I got mine last week and they are indeed for July.

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

Fuzz posted:

Also, anyone have any suggestions or a good third-party Kindle Fire HD 7" case? Looking for something with a stand and that will cover the screen, obviously. I've learned the hard way not to always trust Amazon reviews... I got a Nook Color case a couple years back that totally sucked even though it was 4+ star rated.

I have the Marware Microshell Folio case that Amazon recommended for the original Kindle Fire. Personally, it's one of my favorite cases for a tablet ever, it feels amazing and is fairly low profile (and fairly protective, it has protected mine through a few falls). I'm pretty sure I've seen some for the new Fire(s).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls
I like the look of the DODOcase for my Nexus 7 so I just dropped like £30 on one. It's gonna take like a week to get here in the UK but it looks alright. I've had it since launch without a case because I just never got round to buying one.

Worried about the adhesive part of it though. When they say you wipe it clean and it becomes sticky again, how many uses do you actually get out of that? I've never heard of such witchcraft. I'd expect it to start losing its stick after like 3/4 wipes.