Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
Even though I'm trying to healthy up, I have an urge to feed the monkey by making this. Unfortunately, I live in Rural America, where somewhat esoteric ingredients such as Soya bean oil don't really exist. Any ideas what I can use as a substitute? The oil strikes me as the least influential ingredient in the taste, so I feel inclined to go with something commonplace like canola oil. What do you guys think?

Happy Abobo posted:

That's a tough one. Hollandaise is pretty integral to all of the Eggs Benedict variations. I can't think of many subsitutions that would cut the fat but still maintain the creaminess. Maybe some version of Skordalia, with the sundried tomatoes and herbs mixed in?

You could also try cooking the garlic, basil, and tomatoes in with the spinach: Make the spinach base extremely flavourful, and then skip the sauce entirely and use the runny yolk from the poached egg as a replacement.
I might try this next time. I ended up using this and just chopping the tomatoes and aromatics separately. Here's my current draft of the recipe…

quote:

2 eggs
2 English muffins, halved
1 clove garlic, minced
⅛ cup olive oil
¼ cup Parmesan, grated
About 5-6 sun-dried tomatoes, packed in oil
About 10 medium-sized basil leaves
Handful of baby spinach
Lightened-Up Hollandaise Sauce

Make the sauce normally. Poach the eggs. Chop up the tomatoes and basil; reserve the four biggest leaves. Brush the English muffin halves with oil and garlic; broil. Put the English muffins on the plate, then top with (in this order) chopped tomato/basil mixture, then eggs, then Parmesan, then a basil leaf, then spinach, then the sauce.

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Oct 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

CloseFriend posted:

Even though I'm trying to healthy up, I have an urge to feed the monkey by making this. Unfortunately, I live in Rural America, where somewhat esoteric ingredients such as Soya bean oil don't really exist. Any ideas what I can use as a substitute? The oil strikes me as the least influential ingredient in the taste, so I feel inclined to go with something commonplace like canola oil. What do you guys think?

Go ahead and use any neutral oil. Canola/rapeseed, corn, grapeseed..

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Soybean oil is all over rural America. It's labeled "vegetable oil". But it doesn't taste like anything so it doesn't matter.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

sildenafil posted:

I love this idea, as I have a bunch of frozen chicken breasts in my freezer at the moment, but I absolutely can't stand celery or onions. Do you think just about any veggies would work for this? In addition, I have some bacon I need to use. Do you think that could work well in the pouch?
You can use whatever vegetables you use, but the reason celery and onion is in there is because celery, carrot, and onion together form a classic mirepoix. Throwing in a bunch of random vegetables might make your poor little chicken boobs taste weird, or maybe not! It just depends on what vegetables you use. Try out any of the mirepois listed on that Wikipedia page!

But are you sure you don't like onion? Onion can taste like a lot of things and it's also magic and delicious. If you rule out onion from the food you make, that's taking a pretty drastic step.

Bacon would probably make the pouch super greasy.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

sildenafil posted:

I love this idea, as I have a bunch of frozen chicken breasts in my freezer at the moment, but I absolutely can't stand celery or onions. Do you think just about any veggies would work for this? In addition, I have some bacon I need to use. Do you think that could work well in the pouch?

Bacon in a sealed foil pouch would not work out so great. Bacon is very fatty (duh), but in a sealed environment the bacon fat will get all over the veggies, and the bacon itself will not crisp up like it should.

If you wanted to add bacon to this dish, I would slice it in to bits and render it down in a pan, and add the cooked bacon to the pouch at the end. Maybe save a little of the bacon fat and replace some of the butter in the recipe. I wouldn't do the whole tablespoon as bacon fat, but that's just me.

As far as not using the onion and celery, I'd sub in a red or green bell pepper, maybe a little jalapeno, some minced/crushed garlic. Something with a little flavor. If you just went with potato and carrot, it might be a little on the bland side. You can also sub in some chopped shallots in place of the onion, as they have a similar flavor, but if you don't like onion at all...

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I went back a few pages and I didn't see it asked, but I'm sure it has been this fall. Does anyone have any recipes or dishes that utilize green tomatoes? Some folks I know are heading down to Brazil for the winter, and they're going to till their garden tomorrow. They offered my wife an I a mess of green tomatoes, and I don't know what to do with them outside "fry."

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Fried green tomatoes are pretty great, though.

I would imagine you could roast them and make a tasty green salsa.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

sildenafil posted:

Others have chimed in on this but bacon would *not* work in the pouch. It would be pretty drat gross.

If you don't like onions, then you don't like food. :mad: Onions are the basis of all cuisine and you will die unloved and alone if you don't get over this obvious insanity and learn to love onions! RARrhgghgadfj ONOINONSSSSS!!!

Sorry, I'm passionate about onions.

Here are some alternate veggies that should work to give your chicken a nice bed to lay on:
Parsnips, turnips, carrots, or zucchini would all be neat. To give a kick of flavor you could throw in some stewed tomatoes into the mess. Stewed tomatoes with zucchini, carrots and parsnip chunks with salt, pepper and some oregano would be pretty good. The acids in the tomato will discolor the aluminum foil and in theory could leach some metals into the dish so this is something you'd want to cook in a little covered pot. But if you're doing that then throw in some mushrooms and green bell peppers, omit the turnip and now you've got a badass almost-cacciatore (missing onions).

Let's recap.

Take your boring old chicken breast and add some veggies and salt to a container with some moisture and then heat until the chicken and veggies cook all the way through. Adding some fat to the mixture will help extract fat-soluble flavors and vitamins as well as help to cook the dish. Picking one or two herbs adds their characteristic smell and flavor to the dish without getting confusing. As long as you add a good pinch of salt to the dish you won't miss having a bunch of different spices or whatever. The dish should taste very fresh and you should notice all the veggies and their flavors along with chunks of chicken.

By the way, you don't have to justify not liking onions to me. I'll just be an overdramatic weirdo about it because I notice that onions are in loads and loads of classic dishes and I happen to think they taste good.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Eat This Glob posted:

I went back a few pages and I didn't see it asked, but I'm sure it has been this fall. Does anyone have any recipes or dishes that utilize green tomatoes? Some folks I know are heading down to Brazil for the winter, and they're going to till their garden tomorrow. They offered my wife an I a mess of green tomatoes, and I don't know what to do with them outside "fry."

I don't have a recipe but green tomato chutney is amazing stuff and you can likely easily find a recipe online

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

CuddleChunks posted:

By the way, you don't have to justify not liking onions to me. I'll just be an overdramatic weirdo about it because I notice that onions are in loads and loads of classic dishes and I happen to think they taste good.

You're not alone. Onions are amazing and straight up make food taste good. I guarantee even if you self-identify as a not liking onions, there are still loads of dishes you love that get a lot of their flavor from onions.

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

Can I use aluminum foil in lieu of parchment paper on my pizza stone? Not ballsy enough to go for a paddle and also too cheap/lazy to run to the store for more parchment. I don't see why aluminum foil wouldn't work, might be a bit more sticky than parchment in the end but I'm willing to live with that.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

Jmcrofts posted:

You're not alone. Onions are amazing and straight up make food taste good. I guarantee even if you self-identify as a not liking onions, there are still loads of dishes you love that get a lot of their flavor from onions.

More people think they don't like onions, but really do like the flavor. I don't like the texture of onions (I'm weird I know) and I think some people may mistake that for not liking onions.

Taft Punk
Jan 11, 2011

Fish are the vegetables of the sea.

tuyop posted:

I accidentally bought 1.5kg of plain Greek yogurt. What should I do to it to make it slightly palatable to choke down all that precious protein?

Feeding tubes are cheap on Amazon, though I would recommend against the "Used" category. Honest to goodness, Diet Coke has been used as a de-gunker if the terminal hole gets too clogged with debris, though with plain yogurt, I imagine the worst issue would be cleaning it out thoroughly between uses. If it is still too thick, you could dilute it down with warm water or milk to make a thinner slurry, though it seems like it would be fine stirred.

http://www.childrensmn.org/manuals/pfs/homecare/018701.pdf has full instructions on use and care. Let me just say from experience that clamping the tube as you pull it out is absolutely essential, even if it appears to be empty. Food-and-gastric-juice splatters do not make an attractive wallpaper.

(edit): Also, crunching up cheerios in it or other cereal, or mixing it with morning oatmeal, are also enjoyed tactics for dairymeals.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

global tetrahedron posted:

Can I use aluminum foil in lieu of parchment paper on my pizza stone?
Yes.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

How long can I keep pork adobo in the fridge? It's in a tupperware with its liquid. It's swimming in salt and vinegar so it seems like it should keep a while.

Captain Payne
Sep 27, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

CuddleChunks posted:

While you're at the store, get the following:
1 carrot
1 stalk celery
1 medium onion (no bigger than your fist)
1 yukon gold potato (smaller than your fist)
1 stick butter

Chop the carrot, onion and celery into big chunks and the potato into little cubes. Don't fret if they are more rectangular than cubic, but they should be pretty small. Put all of this into a bowl and toss with some garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper. Take out your chicken breast and rub it around in the veggies so it picks up some oil. Then grind some pepper and sprinkle a little salt on it. Build a big pouch out of aluminum foil and put the veggies on the bottom. Cut off a Tbs of butter (use the guide on the edge of the package) and then cut that into quarters. Put those quarters into four quadrants of the veggies. Lay your chicken breast on top and mush it down a little so it nestles in all the veggies. If you have any sprigs of rosemary, put a couple on top but if not no biggie.

Seal the foil pouch and bake that sucker.

Instead of a sadass lonely chicken breast you have a full meal that you cooked all by yourself. The only thing that has to cook all the way through is the chicken breast. If there's no pink, just white meat all the way, you're good. If you don't like what happens to the veggies when they cook down in chicken juice with some butter and oil and salt and pepper then that's okay but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how incredibly moist and delicious the chicken and veggies turn out.

Beats the hell out of a chicken sandwich from McDonalds.

What temperature should chicken usually be baked at? And about how long would I need to bake an average sized chicken breast for? I'm going to try this recipe tonight but I'm worried I'm going to burn the chicken or something.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Fried green tomatoes are pretty great, though.

I would imagine you could roast them and make a tasty green salsa.

Oh, there will be some fried green tomatoes, don't you worry. They're fantastic, but I came home with a five gallon bucket full :stare:

Green salsa seems like the winner. I can freeze/can that.

Scott Bakula posted:

I don't have a recipe but green tomato chutney is amazing stuff and you can likely easily find a recipe online

Also, green tomato chutney will keep okay too!

Thanks, guys!

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Is there anything clever to do with leftover roasted butternut squash? I was thinking a lazy soup or just mash 'em up with some garam masala, but I was wondering if there was any cool recipes.

Normally I roast a squash and they don't last the day, but I got a bigish one.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Eat This Glob posted:

Oh, there will be some fried green tomatoes, don't you worry. They're fantastic, but I came home with a five gallon bucket full :stare:

Green salsa seems like the winner. I can freeze/can that.

Also, green tomato chutney will keep okay too!

Thanks, guys!

Glob, are these actual /green/ tomatoes, which tend to be fully ripe when green in colour, or are these tomatoes that were picked while still green. If the former, go nuts. If the latter, just let them ripen. They also make great pickles.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

Jyrraeth posted:

Is there anything clever to do with leftover roasted butternut squash? I was thinking a lazy soup or just mash 'em up with some garam masala, but I was wondering if there was any cool recipes.

It can make a nice addition to cheese sauce.

Good way to sneak at least a bit of produce into kids, too.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Jyrraeth posted:

Use like kabocha in Pinakbet? http://panlasangpinoy.com/2009/09/09/filipino-food-vegetable-dish-pinakbet-pakbet-tagalog-recipe/

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Captain Payne posted:

What temperature should chicken usually be baked at? And about how long would I need to bake an average sized chicken breast for? I'm going to try this recipe tonight but I'm worried I'm going to burn the chicken or something.

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-cook-moist-tender-chicken-breasts-every-time-36891

Probably about 20 - 30 minutes in a 350 degree oven. More like 30 minutes if you have them all wrapped up with veggies and stuff.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

dino. posted:

Glob, are these actual /green/ tomatoes, which tend to be fully ripe when green in colour, or are these tomatoes that were picked while still green. If the former, go nuts. If the latter, just let them ripen. They also make great pickles.

Picked green, not supposed to be green.

sildenafil
Dec 17, 2004

They're just jealous.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

You can use whatever vegetables you use, but the reason celery and onion is in there is because celery, carrot, and onion together form a classic mirepoix. Throwing in a bunch of random vegetables might make your poor little chicken boobs taste weird, or maybe not! It just depends on what vegetables you use. Try out any of the mirepois listed on that Wikipedia page!

But are you sure you don't like onion? Onion can taste like a lot of things and it's also magic and delicious. If you rule out onion from the food you make, that's taking a pretty drastic step.

Bacon would probably make the pouch super greasy.

CzarChasm posted:

Bacon in a sealed foil pouch would not work out so great. Bacon is very fatty (duh), but in a sealed environment the bacon fat will get all over the veggies, and the bacon itself will not crisp up like it should.

If you wanted to add bacon to this dish, I would slice it in to bits and render it down in a pan, and add the cooked bacon to the pouch at the end. Maybe save a little of the bacon fat and replace some of the butter in the recipe. I wouldn't do the whole tablespoon as bacon fat, but that's just me.

As far as not using the onion and celery, I'd sub in a red or green bell pepper, maybe a little jalapeno, some minced/crushed garlic. Something with a little flavor. If you just went with potato and carrot, it might be a little on the bland side. You can also sub in some chopped shallots in place of the onion, as they have a similar flavor, but if you don't like onion at all...

Thanks for the input guys. I'm a picky eater who just started venturing out into really cooking for myself, so I'll keep this in mind. I don't know how I forgot about the bacon grease :doh:, but I do like the idea of using garlic. Maybe chopping up the celery in bigger chunks so I can eat around it or throw it out after would work...

CuddleChunks posted:

RARrhgghgadfj ONOINONSSSSS!!!

Maybe it's just raw onions I don't like... :shobon:

I will consider your thoughts on the subject. Thanks for the alternative veggie ideas too. :)

Jmcrofts posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if this is the case for me, since I've eaten tons of stuff I haven't been involved with preparing. If it was chopped up fine and cooked, it might be pretty hard to notice...

dalstrs posted:

More people think they don't like onions, but really do like the flavor. I don't like the texture of onions (I'm weird I know) and I think some people may mistake that for not liking onions.

Yeah, I think this is part of it too. There's some foods that just have textures that I don't like AT ALL. Somehow, this post ends up looping back around to celery (both raw and cooked). Celery texture sucks.

sildenafil fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Oct 3, 2012

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I used to hate onions and celery too -- it was the weird crunchiness that did it to me. Celery is okay if it's diced and soft in soup, now, but I've grown to love onions in general. Frying them up with salt makes them absolutely delicious, which I guess was the gateway to me accepting them elsewhere.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I need some help improving a Chinese beef brisket dish I have been making. It always turns out well but the gravy is never as thick or rich as it is when I get it at Chinese restaurants.

The basic way I make the dish is:

- Brown meat in pan
- Add fresh garlic, ginger, 5 spice powder, green ginger wine and fish sauce
- Stir until everything smells good
- Top up with stock to cover the meat
- Simmer until meat is tender

The gravy always comes out kind of thin and watery at the end of this so what can I do to get a rich, thick gravy?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Add a roux?

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

cyberia posted:

I need some help improving a Chinese beef brisket dish I have been making. It always turns out well but the gravy is never as thick or rich as it is when I get it at Chinese restaurants.

The basic way I make the dish is:

- Brown meat in pan
- Add fresh garlic, ginger, 5 spice powder, green ginger wine and fish sauce
- Stir until everything smells good
- Top up with stock to cover the meat
- Simmer until meat is tender

The gravy always comes out kind of thin and watery at the end of this so what can I do to get a rich, thick gravy?

Mix two teaspoons of corn starch with three teaspoons cold water, then take that and slowly mix that into the simmering gravy. Mix it in a bit at a time, because you don't want it too thick. Most thick Chinese sauces are made that way, instead of with a western flour+butter roux.

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Oct 3, 2012

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
So bone in pork loins were 99¢ a pound. They look like racks of ribs but thicker, Google image search of "Bone in Pork Loin" will show you exactly what I have. What's a good way to prepare these?

:Edit: I have a pretty nice butcher knife so I'm not afraid to just cut these things into chops, but I feel like there is probably a method to cooking them whole.

Daedalus Esquire fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Oct 3, 2012

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Jyrraeth posted:

Depending on the amount & spices/seasonings you roasted it with, you could make some squash bread. Think banana bread, but with squash instead of banana. I don't have a good recipe, but I'm sure you could find a good one real easily.

Question time: anyone have a good suggestion for chana dal? I bought some a bit back and I'm trying to think of a good way to cook it. Recipes seem to be split between cooking the dal with spices/seasonings/whatever, or adding dal to some spices/seasonings/whatever. Anyone have a preferred method?

I bought some curry leaves with the intention of using those with the chana, is that a good spice to use for them? Should the curry leaves smell strongly? I opened my package and they didn't really have a strong aroma, so I might have gotten an old/weak batch but I'm not sure.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Mach420 posted:

Mix two teaspoons of corn starch with three teaspoons cold water, then take that and slowly mix that into the simmering gravy. Mix it in a bit at a time, because you don't want it too thick. Most thick Chinese sauces are made that way, instead of with a western flour+butter roux.

Thanks, I'll give that a try next time I'm making it.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I'm food retarded, basically. I cry when I read recipes, but I'm trying to find a way to better my diet. The problem is that I don't like cooking and don't have a lot of time for it, so I never know when I'm going to have planned time to cook feel like cooking and then cleaning up afterwards. And the grocery store is far away (the one that has GOOD produce is further) and the only way there is walking.

And the big problem is that vegetables go bad quickly.

So basically is there a way to preserve vegetables longer if you're not sure when you'll use them? I read blanching then freezing might work but it looks confusing, time consuming, and requires buying a metal basket for something I'm not even sure is the best idea.
Making soup with stock from meat, keeping it on hand, and then making soup the same day with your vegetables seems like a good way to do it, but I want to make simple salads and stuff, and have raw ingredients for that kind of thing on hand and I don't know how other people do it besides cooking vegetables as soon as they get them.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Get frozen vegetables. Pre-processed and arguably healthier than fresh produce.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

Yonic Symbolism posted:

And the big problem is that vegetables go bad quickly.

Things like lettuce and uncut tomatoes will last for a week or so, if you keep them wrapped and in your crisper drawer. For leafy veggies, break off leaves with your hand. Don't cut off a chunk with a knife and have a lot of broken, exposed surfaces that can start rotting. On that note, don't buy precut salads in a big bag. Herbs like cilantro with a stem will keep better if you cut a bit off the stem and hold them in water, like flowers in a vase would.

Edit: That should teach me to post right before bed. Don't put tomatoes in the fridge!

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 3, 2012

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009
I also used to hate onions. Then I discovered shallots. Now I will accept onions when no shallots are to be had. Shallots are amazing.

I still don't like raw onion or shallow, though. You might try sauteeing it a bit with some butter or olive oil before adding it to your chicken...gets rid of that gross texture and adds a wonderful flavor!

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
gyoza / potsticker question;

when I make these myself, it'll probably be more than I can eat in one sitting, so I'll freeze a bunch of them. When I cook the frozen ones later, should I thaw them first? And will that lessen the quality?

Any general advice (other than the entry in the wiki, cause that's pretty much the wrapper recipe and cooking instruction that I'll be following).
It'll be the first time I won't be buying the wonton wrappers from the fridge of my Asian market...I'm expecting this'll be way better :-D

edit to add that my filling will be cheeseburger style, with a "soja sauce / tomato ketchup" dipping sauce. :banjo:

paraquat fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 3, 2012

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Mach420 posted:

Things like lettuce and uncut tomatoes will last for a week or so, if you keep them wrapped and in your crisper drawer. .

Never put tomatoes (and onions, garlic, potatoes) in the fridge. :colbert:

Sturdy leafy greens like kale, collards, chard last for quite a long time.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

paraquat posted:

gyoza / potsticker question;

when I make these myself, it'll probably be more than I can eat in one sitting, so I'll freeze a bunch of them. When I cook the frozen ones later, should I thaw them first? And will that lessen the quality?

Freeze them, then just fry them like that. That's how I always do it.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Daedalus Esquire posted:

So bone in pork loins were 99¢ a pound. They look like racks of ribs but thicker, Google image search of "Bone in Pork Loin" will show you exactly what I have. What's a good way to prepare these?

:Edit: I have a pretty nice butcher knife so I'm not afraid to just cut these things into chops, but I feel like there is probably a method to cooking them whole.

Rinse under cold water, pat dry w/paper towels. Rub all over liberally with salt, pepper, olive oil and/or melted butter. Season liberally with sage, rosemary, thyme, and/or lemon, whatever. Roast at 375F to an internal temperature of 150F if you like your pork cooked through. Probably take about two hours. Rest 15 minutes before carving.

Use that 15 minutes to make a sauce with the drippings. Spoon most of the fat out of the pan, leaving juice. Put on burner on high, get hot, two tablespoons of flour or so, whisking constantly - don't burn it. 20-30 seconds later. Deglaze pan with a glass of white wine, and a cup or two of chicken stock if you have. Add the liquid slowly, whisking like hell, but don't get any on you, roux is like napalm. Don't panic. It will be clumpy at first. Keep whisking and adding. Add a tiny bit of fresh sage or thyme or rosemary. Make sure it comes to a full boil then reduce heat. Simmer 5-10 minutes until thick and gravylike. Add a few drops of lemon juice, salt, and white pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning. Whisk in a lump or two of cold butter. Remove from heat. Carve roast. Serve with gravy and whatever veg you roasted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

tarepanda posted:

Freeze them, then just fry them like that. That's how I always do it.

excellent, thanks!
and as a follow up question, does this mean I would be better of freezing them all before use, or does it really not matter?