Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

If that's the ET rating of the Aston, then it is really underperforming. In my experience, guys are impressed because it looks like something Bond would drive, but women don't even look twice.

He should have saved his money and bought a Lexus with a ground effects kit.

Or a puppy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

You try setting your drink on a puppy.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

davebo posted:

That's why I opted for the Scotch Guard on my car, inside and out.

I think you mean Snatch Guard.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
In other news...
This seems pretty sweet for a city car:

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/10/03/smart-fortwo-electric-drive-will-be-cheapest-ev-at-25-000/

quote:

Smart just announced pricing for the latest version of its all-electric minicar. The starting price for the ForTwo ED Coupe will be $25,000 (*plus delivery fees), making it the lowest price electric vehicle in the U.S. from a mainstream automaker – and that doesn't even include the available $7,500 federal tax credit.

With the tax credit figured in, the starting price works out to $17,500. Add in the required $825 destination charge and up to $2,200 for a home charger, and the 2013 ForTwo ED Coupe will essentially start at just $20,525 – $1,100 cheaper than the Mitsubishi i-MiEV.

I wonder what the range will be.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
The term "ED Coupe" is kind of funny.

But I suppose there's a lot of ED coupes out there, if you know what I mean.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Cream_Filling posted:

The term "ED Coupe" is kind of funny.

But I suppose there's a lot of ED coupes out there, if you know what I mean.

Heh, I figured one of you would make a joke about that.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

http://www.insideline.com/ford/focus/2013/2013-ford-focus-st-track-test.html

Weird, apparently the new ST did a 0-60 (sec): 6.6 (7.2 w/ TC on) and 1/4-Mile (sec @ mph): 15.0 @ 93.3 (15.1 @92.5 w/ TC on). Seems kind of slow, huh?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Seems kind of slow, huh?

Seems in line with what you can expect from a high hp, low weight, FWD car.

There's no tricking physics. We pretty much hit the 0-60 performance ceiling once 3000lb FWD cars got beyond 250hp.

GTI, MS3, SRT4, and now this. You are going to turn in a mid 6 sec 0-60 every time.

Breaking this barrier is probably going to take a pretty significant leap in street tire technology as well as some active suspension tricks.

Readheaded
Dec 22, 2004
Tish and piffle, I cannot conceive how that car with the performance of a car twice its price hasn't even got a teak glovebox or swan skin seatbelts. Inferior rubbish from the colonies, m
So I guess this thread is interesting pitting disparate cars in acceleration competitions. I know the Toyota Rav4 and Camry V6s are deceptively quick...

http://forums.motortrend.com/70/6866672/the-general-forum/so-a-camry-v6-is-faster-than-a-wrx-to-1-4-mile-and/index.html

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
http://www.caranddriver.com/feature...ss-page-3#Lexus IS F

AN ISF was significantly quicker on the c&d lightning lap than an STi or Evo and beat the m3 time from the previous year. It's abit more than a slight step above a camry.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

AN ISF was significantly quicker on the c&d lightning lap than an STi or Evo and beat the m3 time from the previous year. It's abit more than a slight step above a camry.

I don't understand the point of your post. It's a surprise that a $60,000 car beat a couple of $35,000 cars? The M3 and the IFS both posted same times of 3:05:04.

I don't think anyone here has said it's a bad car, but more of a why bother with the other available options in the price range.

That said, apparently its a flashy pussy shrapnel magnet (that looks like a Camry) so who wouldn't want one?!

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Throatwarbler posted:

It also got beat in that comparison by a plebian upgraded Mustang or Corvette, or the domestic CTS-V.

Given the choice, why would you pick a fatter, uglier car with no aftermarket versus an M3 or one of those others?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Cream_Filling posted:

It also got beat in that comparison by a plebian upgraded Mustang or Corvette, or the domestic CTS-V.

Given the choice, why would you pick a fatter, uglier car with no aftermarket versus an M3 or one of those others?

But none of those cars get you respect and breathing room on public roads. I doubt you'd even get more than one look with a CTS or a mustang.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Powershift posted:

But none of those cars get you respect and breathing room on public roads. I doubt you'd even get more than one look with a CTS or a mustang.

True. You can't beat Lexus for the right combination of SPEED and CLASS>>>

You drive one of those, people will all back off and never tailgate or pass you because RESPEK they'll assume you're like a total mob boss kingpin who shouldn't be messed with ever.

Also, lol dumbestics, "everyone's got one of those, mine is special," etc.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

One picture sums up the IS-F to me pretty much perfectly:

The triumph of image over substance.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
This tread got awesome fast. I was wondering how bad of an idea buying a used 2012 shelby gt500 was and yammers delivered on the posting. The most road space I have ever gotten was driving a rusty 94 f150 4x4 that was 2 different colors. I didn't see any lady parts explode though. People are scared you don't have insurance or brakes and refuse to pull out in front of you. I assume they though I was drunk too as the wheel bearings were shot and it would weave down the road.

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001

Yummers posted:

Before getting my car I drove an 05 Civic LX sedan so I am acutely aware of how people treated me before and after.

I bought the car for performance and to get some respect and breathing room on public roads.

You really shouldn't have said either of these things.

I know what kind of person you are now. I was one of these people when I was 17 and got my first "sports car", a 3000GT VR4. I thought I was pimp poo poo, I went from a 77 T-Bird iron heap to THE loving SWEETEST CAR EVER BRO ALL WHEEL DRIVE ALL WHEEL STEERING TWIN TURBO gently caress YEAH and the car made me feel better about myself. 17-21 was the age range where I figured out that material objects don't make you better, earn you respect, or any of that BS. They might make you "more popular" for a little while, but it was during HIGH SCHOOL that I figured all of this out. "Shiny things make you/me popular" is unfortunately an attitude adopted by far too many people, but they're not the people you want to be around.

You really need to grow out of it, but I don't really know what to tell you on HOW you can grow out of it. Stop putting so much of your self-esteem into material things. People value and respect you based on YOU, not the things you own. If people treated you differently because you owned a Civic and now they treat you better because you own a Lexus, you need new friends and a different crowd to hang out with.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
I've noticed ever since I got my bright arrest-me red BMW, people have been giving me tons of breathing room on the road.

This is because you can smell the huge quantities of burning oil from 60 feet behind the exhaust and you literally need that room to breathe.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

PBCrunch posted:

The M3 is also powered by a DOHC V-8.

I would also be mad if someone asked to open a beer in my car. Open container laws are a bitch. The whining about someone drinking a beer near his car is ridiculous though.

If it was an American car people were drinking beers near it on the assembly line amirite?

a 4 liter turbo, not a 5 liter that's basically the base engine for the brand's full size car. The M3 is 51/49 weight distro, the IS-F is 54/46. i would assume this is mostly engine, but I could not find weight for the lexus engine. M3 engine is 445lb.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Nait Sirhc posted:

You really shouldn't have said either of these things.

I know what kind of person you are now. I was one of these people when I was 17 and got my first "sports car", a 3000GT VR4. I thought I was pimp poo poo, I went from a 77 T-Bird iron heap to THE loving SWEETEST CAR EVER BRO ALL WHEEL DRIVE ALL WHEEL STEERING TWIN TURBO gently caress YEAH and the car made me feel better about myself. 17-21 was the age range where I figured out that material objects don't make you better, earn you respect, or any of that BS. They might make you "more popular" for a little while, but it was during HIGH SCHOOL that I figured all of this out. "Shiny things make you/me popular" is unfortunately an attitude adopted by far too many people, but they're not the people you want to be around.

You really need to grow out of it, but I don't really know what to tell you on HOW you can grow out of it. Stop putting so much of your self-esteem into material things. People value and respect you based on YOU, not the things you own. If people treated you differently because you owned a Civic and now they treat you better because you own a Lexus, you need new friends and a different crowd to hang out with.

It's funny how things change as we get older and our priorities shift. You know who i respect now? My coworker who drives a 1998 Ford Taurus because it's paid off and still runs well enough. The guy has so much disposable income it's not even funny. I shake my head at people that are 'car-poor'. A different guy at work I know has a sweet rear end Lexus IS350C but his car payment is so drat high he's brown bagging PB&J and eating Ramen.

Sounds like this kid is in his mid 20's and landed a high paying job out of college. More power to him, enjoy the car as the mid 20's are the perfect age to blow the majority of your disposable income on that sweet sweet ride. poo poo gets real as you get older and do things like start a family.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

Dielectric posted:

Behold, the MINI cupholder:

It's quite nice. Up and away from the gearshift, doesn't block anything, but also swings away for some reason. Also has a grahic indicating that stemware is not to be used. However, there is only one so the plebian passenger has to hold his drat drink hisself. There are two more down in the console, but they're currently blocked by my CB radio.
The first MINIs did not come with this, just some really small cupholders that everyone complained about. MINI sent a special cup to all the owners that would work with the cupholder. Then, they started putting the pictured one in cars about a year later.

Maybe not so much. http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2011-smart-fortwo-electric-drive-road-test-reviews

quote:

When a member of our illustrious track-testing team brought the performance-results sheet to our desk, we admit that we snickered until we saw the braking perform­ance number. “Holy cow!” we said. “It stopped in 131 feet?! That’s better than a ZR1. That’s awesome—wait, what?” Turns out, the Smart ED is not actually fast enough to stop. It’s governed to a top speed of 63 mph, and our standard brake test is from 70 mph to standstill. So we did it from 60 mph because, well, it doesn’t actually matter.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

AdmiralViscen posted:

a 4 liter turbo, M3 engine is 445lb.

The M3 is turbo now?

bull3964 posted:

GTI, MS3, SRT4, and now this. You are going to turn in a mid 6 sec 0-60 every time.

Yeah, but a 15s quarter is awful for how much grunt it has.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I dunno, I think the IS-F is a pretty sweet car.

Obviously it makes zero sense to buy, but you could say that about the performance versions of everything when a 328i offers more than enough performance for any road condition.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

The M3 is turbo now?

Yeah, but a 15s quarter is awful for how much grunt it has.

Remember this is edmunds though. They drive it like they own it. Motor trend will drive it like they stole it and probably knock half a second off making it fall more or less in line with other vehicles in it's range.

dissss posted:

Obviously it makes zero sense to buy, but you could say that about the performance versions of everything when a 328i offers more than enough performance for any road condition.

:frogout:

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

dissss posted:

A 2006 GTO is a pretty sweet car, but no one wants to own one (so I sold it for an LS6 Z06).

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

skipdogg posted:

A different guy at work I know has a sweet rear end Lexus IS350C but his car payment is so drat high he's brown bagging PB&J and eating Ramen.

Whoa whoa. Let's not start bad-mouthing pb&j and ramen. I still did that with two paid off cars. It beats having to drive to some fast food place every day.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Hashal posted:

A 2006 GTO is a pretty sweet car

The Monaro one? That was a car that really didn't benefit in any way from being turned into a coupe.

Anyway new cars, or at least new to where I live:
Starting to see a large number of Civic hatches around, hard to miss because they're almost all very noticeable colours.

Not sold on the styling but at least its a bit more interesting than the sedans were

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Open containers too! Goddamn that was a fun weekend.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Wow, the Smart ED sounds like a hilariously bad car. Honestly, I think an actual golf cart would be preferable for the niche of travel it appears to be intended for. How hard would it be to make a golf cart street legal, I wonder?

Still, 0-60 in a blazing 23.4 seconds! Can't wait to hear the quarter mile times...

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
In some places (Indiana) golf carts can be made legal, plates an everything. Seat belts, headlights/tail lights, signals, windshield I think are all you need.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

grover posted:

Wow, the Smart ED sounds like a hilariously bad car. Honestly, I think an actual golf cart would be preferable for the niche of travel it appears to be intended for. How hard would it be to make a golf cart street legal, I wonder?

Still, 0-60 in a blazing 23.4 seconds! Can't wait to hear the quarter mile times...

The thing that kills it is how loving expensive it is. If it cost not much more than a golf cart, you could justify it. But this costs more than the significantly better Nissan Leaf.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Cream_Filling posted:

The thing that kills it is how loving expensive it is. If it cost not much more than a golf cart, you could justify it. But this costs more than the significantly better Nissan Leaf.

Nissan Leaf starts at $35k, 48 month $599 lease is $28k, how do you figure?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
GM built a road legal golf cart many years ago. I don't know if they're still building them but I see them running people around our bar nightlife area sometimes

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

MrChips posted:

One picture sums up the IS-F to me pretty much perfectly:

The triumph of image over substance.

Awww, the one thing I thought it had going for it, a somewhat unique exhaust design.

gently caress you, Toyota. :mad:

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

Faerunner posted:

Nissan Leaf starts at $35k, 48 month $599 lease is $28k, how do you figure?

Unless you are extremely poor (in which case you should not be buying a Leaf) you can get $12,000+ in tax rebates. So that $35k turns into $23k plus or minus state tax programs.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Xguard86 posted:

GM built a road legal golf cart many years ago. I don't know if they're still building them but I see them running people around our bar nightlife area sometimes

Thinking of the GEM perhaps? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GEM_Car

My aunt and uncle have one, and they LOVE the thing. They're retired, live about 2 miles from the grocery store and all their friends, so they use it for most of their daily driving duties.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

angryhampster posted:

My aunt and uncle have one, and they LOVE the thing. They're retired, live about 2 miles from the grocery store and all their friends, so they use it for most of their daily driving duties.

Ha, I saw a few of those for sale at my local Subaru dealership. I should have looked at the prices.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

angryhampster posted:

Ya that's it. They even have turn signals, which I find amusing for some reason.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I would totally drive an IS-F. If that makes me a douche too, SO BE IT YOU MONSTERS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Did they ever make any improvements to the IS-F Auto Tranny?
I remember when it came out a lot of the complaints from the magazines had to do with that 8 speed transmission.