Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal
That entire series is amazing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GqkHwYWEaY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
The Achievement Hunter dudes are pretty great in general.

duffath
May 9, 2007

My name is Legion for we are many.

bucketmouse posted:

If abusing lag compensation counts as griefing I need to bring up Awesomenauts, which handles lag in the same way (no interpolation, attacker gets the benefit of the doubt). The big difference here is that Awesomenauts is a 2D platformer moba so deaths are a Big Deal.

So this game has a giant robot dude named Clunk who has a ton of health and an attack where he explodes Splosion Man style damaging himself and doing a larger amount of damage to everyone within a body length of him. It's got a 2-second warning animation and unless you catch someone in a corner or ambush them it's pretty easy to get out of the blast zone unless the person playing Clunk is heavily lagged, in which case the effective blast radius is what *he* is seeing.

Clunk also has a weird jumping mechanic that when properly abused allows you to jump higher and farther than everyone else in the game and/or hover for 5-10 seconds.

One of the three maps in the game has a whole lot of vertical airspace above the main area where fights happen.

Put all of this together and it's very possible to fall into a teamfight and explode before the other team even sees you. Even if you do screw up your insane health usually means you can just flutter away like a beautiful robot butterfly, heal up and try again. People get incredibly mad about this, especially when it happens 10+ times in a match.

.. and then they rematch and it happens again. :allears:

I play Clunk (Voltar until they nerfed him to dead-weight) and it's pretty good fun. Lag aside the combination of a bite that heals clunk and can be specced to immobilise your enemy for a couple of seconds combined with the ability to explode for massive damage giving them very little they can do about it does have a tendency to make them rage about it. OP and no counter...well aside from you know, not going near Clunk at all.

The absolute best are the Leon players (the stealthy spy ganky class) who grief themselves by breaking cloak and meleeing you while not expecting you to bite > Self-destruct.

This is particularily funny when they've done it more than three times in a match.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

They get a bit more creative in this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acMrBcl1PoI

Really you should just watch their entire minecraft series. It's nothing but them loving each other over for hours.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The one with the pressure plates was hilarious when he blew up his friend once he got into a bed.

edit: Oh my god, those guys trying to get the "when pigs fly" achievement :lol:

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Sep 4, 2012

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

They did an entire drat let's play just to mess with their coworkers.

http://youtu.be/5LGI2YNGPY4?t=16m55s

That's probably the best reason to do a let's play of minecraft.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Sep 4, 2012

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Does anyone else watch Criken videos? My buddies have been trying to convince me to play Mount & Blade with them, and I think this video convinced me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD5J5LEBVCk

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

He has an APB one and everyone that plays that game has seen it. It looked like they had a lot of fun even if they were terrible. So go for it if you play games for fun and not for winning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO9ZnEu4zXs

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
It was Criken's string of L4D videos that inspired me to get both it and L4D2. :allears: I love all of his videos.

... Come to think of it I may be slightly biased since he subtitles a good portion of his videos, what with I'm deaf and all. They're still funny, though!

VVVV Oh good, it's not just me! I feel like I'm forgetting something... The universe is trying to tell me something, I know it...

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Sep 19, 2012

Mikael Kreoss
Feb 13, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Malachite_Dragon posted:

It was Criken's string of L4D videos that inspired me to get both it and L4D2. :allears: I love all of his videos.

... Come to think of it I may be slightly biased since he subtitles a good portion of his videos, what with I'm deaf and all. They're still funny, though!

I feel like I'm supposed to tell you something. I forgot what though...

Oppenheimer
Dec 26, 2011

by Smythe
If you are actually deaf, you should do an LP of LA Noire, with vibration turned off.

Call it Detective Mode or Realism Mode or something, and find every clue by eye.

Griefing yourself really.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Wiley360 posted:

I wish I kept screenshots. Oh yeah, the "CIA" agent accidentally outed that two of the guild members, a husband and wife, were getting divorce, but he let this drop in Ventrilo while their children (who played) were active. He goes "Guys, I just found out two of my friends are getting a divorce. It's a secret, so...yeeah, <Tom> and <Sally> wait...I meant <whatever their avatar names were> ....ooooh crap." And the kids screamed "What?!?!" and you could hear their headset hit the desk as they ran away and it was really quiet and I just chimed in with "Was that CIA training on how to keep a secret?" and he just said "...heh."
This is, by a wide margin, the best grief of the entire drat thread.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I would like to commend the employees of Riot Games in their griefing of griefers. If you don't play League of Legends, there is a pretty funny "tradition" of bad griefers complaining on the official forums when they get banned. Often, Riot employees will then post in the thread with quotes from that player's games, showing their love of racial slurs and general asshattery. I don't know why, but this gives me no end of amusement.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Good for Riot. I'm not sure I'd call such actions griefing so much as just being an idiot.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

Yeah, honestly that's just what 80% of LoL's playerbase thinks is the default response to everything. Winning, losing, whatever man, slurs are always the best response.

EDIT: Though I just realized, the way I said that makes it seem like LoL players don't care whether they win or lose. :downs:

Defeatist Elitist fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Sep 21, 2012

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Defeatist Elitist posted:

Yeah, honestly that's just what 80% of LoL's playerbase thinks is the default response to everything. Winning, losing, whatever man, slurs are always the best response.

EDIT: Though I just realized, the way I said that makes it seem like LoL players don't care whether they win or lose. :downs:

Dota-like players in general hate you if they think you're worse than they are and they hate you if they think you're better than they are. The response to either is usually a torrent of racist and homophobic slurs.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That's any game. You get preteens and teenagers playing video games who just learned it's somewhat acceptable for them to say curse words and all of a sudden everyone on the internet is an "african american homosexual."

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal
Dota is really indescribably bad about it though because it's a game where you absolutely have to make the occasional selfless sacrifice to benefit your team. On top of the normal skill-rage present in any online game there are also several mechanics where you can directly gently caress over the rest of the team unintentionally.

The best example I can think of is the courier, a unit anyone can control whose purpose is ferrying items from the base to people in lanes. If the courier dies anything it is carrying is unavailable for 3 minutes until it respawns.

If you think people get mad over buff-stealing in league of legends you've never seen the feedback loop of two people on opposite sides of the map fighting over who gets their stuff delivered first. This usually results in the courier wandering around places where it shouldn't be and getting killed, which means a screaming match in the text chat at least.

The game really does grief the players! :downs:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
That APB video. The game is an awful mess and will never be fixed. In the mean time, it is a game that is awesome for griefing. Dump trucks are pretty much grief magnets. The game is just so bad otherwise.

Pingoggia X
Feb 29, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
http://bankbank.org/other/gamegrief/recording/

collection of audio recordings from day of defeat teamkilling

http://bankbank.org/other/gamegrief/movie/FUNINTHESUN.avi

video recording from day of defeat teamkilling

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Couldn't upload it to YouTube or something?

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Video's not all that impressive either, it's just him teamkilling with the MG while music plays.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Third World Reggin posted:

That APB video. The game is an awful mess and will never be fixed. In the mean time, it is a game that is awesome for griefing. Dump trucks are pretty much grief magnets. The game is just so bad otherwise.

APB is actually really good if brutally hard on new players. I think that's why people don't like it, that or they play in a pick up group against teams on a mumble which is more less the same as griefing yourself.

It also generates anger like no other game. I was playing yesterday and 3 people from 3 different matches got incredibly angry at me in district chat and they ended up talking to each other and agreeing I was a "total oval office".

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Goofballs posted:

APB is actually really good if brutally hard on new players. I think that's why people don't like it, that or they play in a pick up group against teams on a mumble which is more less the same as griefing yourself.

It also generates anger like no other game. I was playing yesterday and 3 people from 3 different matches got incredibly angry at me in district chat and they ended up talking to each other and agreeing I was a "total oval office".

The main issue with APB is that the hit detection and stuff are poo poo.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I've never had much of a problem hitting people in the game.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Pingoggia X posted:

http://bankbank.org/other/gamegrief/recording/

collection of audio recordings from day of defeat teamkilling

http://bankbank.org/other/gamegrief/movie/FUNINTHESUN.avi

video recording from day of defeat teamkilling

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Haha I think this guy is griefing the mods

his rap sheet posted:

Shift keys motherfucker, do you not know where they are? You have two of them. TWO. They say the word shift and usually have a pretty arrow pointing to let you know that they biggify letters. Maybe you're not aware you have to HOLD shift down WHILE you press a key? You can also press the caps lock key (which also has a biggify symbol on it), press a letter key, and then you press the caps lock key to turn it off again. Don't leave it on though otherwise you'd be SHOUTING and we ask you don't do that. User loses posting privileges for 1 week.

Four probations for no capitalization is impressive.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Here's a good grief: Guy finds idling hacker in Dark Souls, shoves him off a ledge.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

This is what I like to see: Dedication. Pure determination to be a huge jerk to somebody, no matter how long it takes.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The guy was hacking, he deserved it. Though I doubt there's anything you could do to him he couldn't undo in two seconds via more hacking. It was a moral victory though.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Out of curiosity - what is the benefit of going afk, or was that just a coincidence?

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

That was a coincidence, since there is literally no benefit to going AFK and it leaves you open to getting invaded while you're gone. Though you sometimes wouldn't want to quit the game since if you're a PVPer it takes 15 minutes or so for Games for Windows Live to "warm up"

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

This reminds me of this:

TF2 server admin installs a plugin that detects, records, and plays pranks on cheaters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYSMrA3J9tU

quote:

There was a new breed of cheater on my server today.
It took this guy almost 6 minutes to realise that something was not quite right.

1. After it detected him cheating, it made it impossible for him to do any damage to anybody.
2. Anytime he got hurt, he died.

Some comments from the cheater:

(hacker) : wow tony this serrer is bad
*DEAD* (hacker) : LOL WTF
(hacker) : ONE SHOT BY SHOTTY and i die
(hacker) : LMFAO

It's too bad the music covers up a few of the hacker's protests, but they did have enough sense to turn it down for the best part. It didn't even have music the first time I saw it.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Beatnik-Filmstar posted:

Out of curiosity - what is the benefit of going afk, or was that just a coincidence?
If you're not hacking and have PvP enabled, it's a death wish, since you're basically a free kill.

If you are hacking, I don't see that there's any possible benefit other than loving with people who are looking for legitimate PvP and wasting their time. Except in this case of course.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm guessing it's more he thought he'd be trolling people Someone invades his game and thinks they are getting a free kill and then he can't be killed. Jokes on him.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Modding games has been pretty simple on the Wii for a long time, one of the most popular games for mods is Mario Kart Wii. There are hundreds of custom made courses, and in this one there used to be an exploit where you could skip most of the lap by driving through the wall, but now the track creator has updated it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7XWUVQD9iQ
(short video)

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Ahhh. Didn't know if there was perhaps some stat that increased the longer you were alive or something like that - making turning on some sort of god mode and going afk beneficial.

Regardless. That video is the best kind in the thread. I've never played the game, don't really know what's going on, but it's still funny as Hell. Would like to think the afk guy walked into the room just in time to see the last kick off the ledge.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I like when the golems try to interfere with him. "gently caress you guys, I'm trying to push this hacking rear end in a top hat off a ledge!"

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Unfortunately, that's not the best grief, since the game gives you a chance to get your stuff back if you die, and during invasions, everyone is trapped in the same area. All he was really at risk of losing was one humanity or a Ring of Sacrifice.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

dpbjinc posted:

Unfortunately, that's not the best grief, since the game gives you a chance to get your stuff back if you die, and during invasions, everyone is trapped in the same area. All he was really at risk of losing was one humanity or a Ring of Sacrifice.

He's gonna come back with no clue how he died or where his bloodstain is at. That's enough to at least inconvenience the guy. Maybe he'll even get tired of playing the lovely person version of the game. Maybe that's wishful thinking. Never-the-less, I enjoyed it.

Edit: Damned phone.

Tykero fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

dpbjinc posted:

And since he's clearly cheating, anything he could lose could be easily replaced with yet more cheating. Still, it's about the journey.

• Locked thread