Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
backed up by a few tera's of HDD

backed up by a few peta's in the cloud

there is no way the problem is capacity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Cocoa Crispies posted:

it's equalp in non-broken languages

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sweeper posted:

everyone should know c

Gazpacho posted:

any programmer who doesnt understand pointers prob doesnt understand memory in general and believes in the memory fairy

things old people say

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
pointers are completely unnecessary

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Shaggar posted:

things old people say

Tiny Bug Child posted:

pointers are completely unnecessary

yep memory fairy.

its a classic windows thing - assume theres infinite memory, when you run out poo poo your pants

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
the memory fairy kicks you in the balls really hard when you make games that are not for desktop computers

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Dr. Honked posted:

the memory fairy kicks you in the balls really hard when you make games that are not for desktop computers

What about on Dalvik? :tipshat:

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Maximo Roboto posted:

What about on Dalvik? :tipshat:

i have no idea and can't be arsed to look it up

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
wait infinity is 10^15 now? when did this happen

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sniep posted:

yep memory fairy.

its a classic windows thing - assume theres infinite memory, when you run out poo poo your pants

assuming infinite memory is correct because memory is cheaper than cpu. in fact memory is basically free. lol @ aggressively dumping things out of memory instead of caching.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

how is garbaeg formed? how heap get fragmint?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
very carefully

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

seriouspost you need to know how computers work if you want them to go fast. if you're writing webs with spring and hibernate and think that sessions are stored in the cloud then you don't need to know jack poo poo except beep boop commit now its QAs problem

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

shrughes posted:

Encapsulation and information hiding isn't a concept of OOP.

wait no

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot
yo shrughes i got a think ull like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT3WKnEhnSo

STILL GAY AND DUMB
Oct 25, 2010

by Fistgrrl
heres my programming joke i hope you, yospos, will enjoy lol;

10 PRINT YOSPOS BI0TCH
20 GOTO 110 :D

Well thats the joke, hope you liked it haha

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Nomnom Cookie posted:

seriouspost you need to know how computers work if you want them to go fast. if you're writing webs with spring and hibernate and think that sessions are stored in the cloud then you don't need to know jack poo poo except beep boop commit now its QAs problem

shaggar does java so he spends most of his time waiting on xml parsers and slow sql databases like microsoft sql

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Cocoa Crispies posted:

shaggar does java so he spends most of his time waiting on xml parsers and slow sql databases like microsoft sql

and eclipse freezing and putting windows in the worng places upon opening every single god damned time

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

the year is 2012 you don't need to worry about memory except in a couple of edge cases

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Tiny Bug Child posted:

the year is 2012 you don't need to worry about memory except in a couple of edge cases

the wrongest opinion, right here folks, screen shot this and print it for archival

not doing your own memory management is just a sign of sloppiness, not platform|codebase|language|objectiveness orientation.

you absofuckinlutely need to care about how much ram your poo poo is using and understand it

god

ugh just god

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Sniep posted:

the wrongest opinion, right here folks, screen shot this and print it for archival

not doing your own memory management is just a sign of sloppiness, not platform|codebase|language|objectiveness orientation.

you absofuckinlutely need to care about how much ram your poo poo is using and understand it

god

ugh just god

bug chasing

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Tiny Bug Child posted:

please, just stop, i beg of you

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Sniep posted:

god

ugh just god

how come

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Maximo Roboto posted:

so just answer this in whichever way you feel is best.

butts

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Cocoa Crispies posted:

i do java too except its analytics and my code actually does things, so i still get to talk about inner loops and memory access patterns and smoke a pipe. its like c++ except loving TYPE ERASURE. gonna unchecked cast my boot into goslings rear end

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

because if programming was like presidenting and memory was dollars you'd be like both candidates on the stage tonight - completely unequipped to handle it if poo poo hits the fan memory wise

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Sniep posted:

yep memory fairy.

tbh this is a perfectly good strategy for short running programs, assuming you'll finish working before you run out of memory.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

it's like asking why you have to flush the toilet eventually.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

tef posted:

tbh this is a perfectly good strategy for short running programs, assuming you'll finish working before you run out of memory.

and then you have eclipse

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

tef posted:

Tiny Bug Child posted:

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
the point is if you are lazy on memory management (or skill altogether) you become a thing people cuss at daily and switch to mac for

lovely devs and no QA are the problem.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Sniep posted:

and then you have eclipse

I mean programs that finish running before the eclipse splash screen loads.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

tef posted:

it's like asking why you have to flush the toilet eventually.
he's just saying that toilets have gotten large enough that you can poo poo all you want and eventually the water pressure will cause it to flush without you having to actively flush, so why wouldn't you just live with a toilet full of poo poo 90% of the time?

edit: this is PHP in a nutshell

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

talk me out of learning go

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

AWWNAW posted:

talk me out of learning go

depends what you want to do with it, really

http://ridiculousfish.com/blog/posts/go_bloviations.html

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

het posted:

he's just saying that toilets have gotten large enough that you can poo poo all you want and eventually the water pressure will cause it to flush without you having to actively flush, so why wouldn't you just live with a toilet full of poo poo 90% of the time?

yes, except the toilet isnt ever going to be even close to being full no matter how much you poop unless you fill it on purpose

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

het posted:

this doesn't really make any sense cause using a lot of memory doesn't hurt anything

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Sniep posted:

the point is if you are lazy on memory management (or skill altogether) you become a thing people cuss at daily and switch to mac for

we're talking about real development, not edge cases. my apps have a great user experience in windows or mac because they run in the browser

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
this pretty much happened in our old web ui.

for some reason we had a global array that was called, i kid you not, "garbage"

i guessss... it referred to "garbage collection", because whoever made the old code didn't understand javascript scoping and thought that in order to be able to execute callbacks, you have to have some external reference to them.

and even with that global array of everything, a browser didn't use more than a gig or two of memory after a weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Tiny Bug Child posted:

this doesn't really make any sense cause using a lot of memory doesn't hurt anything
-- a thing one of my dev predecessors thought when coding a service that started crashing randomly on my watch