Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Love My Axe
Dec 30, 2009

Let's go Blue Pants!

Babunar posted:

1. Racing game on the PS1, like Micro Machines (birds-eye view) but 3D. There were different cars to choose from and the circuits were quite small. If you fell off the edges your car exploded. I think the disk was red and said VROOM on it?

Circuit Breakers?

http://www.mobygames.com/game/playstation/circuit-breakers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

InternetBully posted:

I'm thinking of an interactive fiction / choose your own adventure type game (black screen, still graphic above, white text below) from about the Apple II and DOS era, maybe a little later.

It's an escape from Transylvania type game but it's one that's multiple choice (with little to no actual typing), where you mostly just press one, two, three or four to decide what to do next. Obviously if you choose the wrong option (like trusting someone who approaches, or not), you die and start all over.

However, at times there are also moving graphics (Atari-level quality) where you have to briefly and quickly control your character, such as needing to parachute down to a small raft below, using the directional keys. When you succeed these mini-games, the story resumes.

I've been asking people and investigating on and off for years now, any clues?

This sounds a little like something I played at school back in the mid-80s. The only thing I can specifically remember about it is a note frozen in a block of ice. One of the choices was to melt it on the stove, but the note catches on fire that way.

InternetBully
Mar 17, 2004
I bully, on the internet.

Quarex posted:

I remember Dracula in London playing a little bit like that, though honestly it is kind of hard to tell whether this is what you remember (certainly the limited interactivity is there, I forgot if there were action sequences though).

Thanks, that's not it but I wasn't aware of it so at least it's another off the list. I wish I could remember more about it. This one was a simpler style overall, less going on, usually just question and answers with a corresponding graphic. How many drat Transylvania / vampire themed (mostly) text based DOS games were there?

I know there were other supernatural creatures and general murderous villains in it as well, mostly or entirely unseen. You'd think you shouldn't trust the stranger in the dark alley but by running away instead of approaching, the game would tell you that you were killed by wolves or whatever. It had that horror text plus occasional minor actual game play aspect to it, so you're on the right track there.

Some of the mini-games that the story would bring you to were side-to-side in addition to the top-down ones I think. The parachute one I remember, if you fell into the lake instead of onto the raft below you'd get eaten by alligators and start over.

But I think the basic story was something like your car broke down while you were alone in Transylvania (or at least some dark town with monsters all around) and pressing a number one through four either advanced the story or killed you.

stubblyhead posted:

This sounds a little like something I played at school back in the mid-80s. The only thing I can specifically remember about it is a note frozen in a block of ice. One of the choices was to melt it on the stove, but the note catches on fire that way.

Funny you should say that, this was a DOS executable file that I played on old PCs in keyboarding class during the late nineties.

Not sure if that's the same game or not but it's definitely the type of thing that would happen.

Babunar
Sep 15, 2009

That could be it, I never actually had the box, just the disc, but some of the cars look familiar. Thanks.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.
Someone help me out with this, came up in conversation tonight: 80's sidescroller beat em up fantasy cabinet coin-op. All I remember is that the main character had blue armor and a rounded cylindrical headband style helmet.

Edit: Large well defined characters Final Fight style.

Follow up Edit: It was Gladiator. I love my Axe nailed it.

Sharks Dont Sleep fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 15, 2013

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

Someone help me out with this, came up in conversation tonight: 80's sidescroller beat em up fantasy cabinet coin-op. All I remember is that the main character had blue armor and a rounded cylindrical headband style helmet.

There's a couple it could be that come close to that description.

There's some that are fantasy with a dude in blue armour but no helmet

The DND games (cleric has blue armor, brown hair, no helmet)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qDVWdQNMno

Warriors of Fate has another dude in blue armor, no helmet again though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQp8dNAUCFE

Magic Sword has a guy in blue armor and a helmet, but he's a helper character and not the main character
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JwuYT4HTVQ

and a handful of others, some with guys with headbands and blue armour (mostly ninja games) and so forth, if one of those aren't it, can you remember anything else?

I Love My Axe
Dec 30, 2009

Let's go Blue Pants!
Gladiator?

http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=7950

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
There's also Knights of the Round.

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

The Sausage King of Chicago
Basketball arcade game. I'm not sure when it came out, but I remember playing it in the very late 80s/early 90s. You started with only like 30 seconds or so on the clock and down a certain amount of points. You never played defense - you just inbound the ball again after you scored.

Forgedbow
Jun 1, 2012

have a cigar
I suspect I might be conflating multiple games, but here goes...

As I recall, it was DOS-based, early 1990s perhaps late 1980s, and very text heavy. If it were released today, I imagine it'd be classified a Visual Novel, although I think this game predates that term. The story goes, you are a astronaut who returns from a long trip to find Earth has been abandoned. The computers are still working, so hack into them with the help with AI's or something, to find out what happened.

I remember the story being a lengthy sci-fi yarn, by my pre-teen standards. Occasionally I remember snippets like, how there's a whole society of people who genetically-engineered themselves to be able to survive and actually live in the ice and waters of Antartica. They've been setup as the evil boogey-men by "modern" society. There's a colony seed ship a bazillion miles away from Earth, but a kid on Earth can psychically talk with a girl on the ship. The boy ends up going on the run from the government, but I can remember why.

I might be able to remember more later. Any ideas?

[EDIT]
I remember you played the game by selecting from multiple boxes with different icons. Each box would have a list of text entries, and as you read all the entries more would appear in the different boxes. I'm pretty sure that was all there was to the gameplay. I was strongly reminded of this game when I played a recent indie title, Analogue: A Hate Story.

Forgedbow fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Oct 1, 2012

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'm currently reading the thread for clues, but by page 7 I still have nothing so I figured I'd post and then keep looking. I don't have a lot of specifics, but y'all are pretty on point.

I'm trying to find an old DOS based game. It was a turn based strategy game, set in a sci-fi feudal type of society. It was kind of like Dune, in that it had a number of noble houses vying for control, but it wasn't a Dune game. It was very dark, and had hex based movement on planets- I don't remember if there was space combat too. One of the factions was a sort of religious order along the lines of inquisitors, and you might have been able to take control of them somehow- like by becoming the Emperor's guardian or something? I wanna say you could massacre villages and use biological weapons too, but I'm not 100% on that. It just seemed dark. It also had DRM, and limited the number of turns you could take, so I was never able to get too deep into it. :( I seem to recall robust diplomacy, too. Anyhow, that's my bad recollection. Ring any bells?

EDIT: Never mind. My google-fu eventually won out. It was called "Emperor of the Fading Suns."

Nut to Butt fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Oct 1, 2012

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Forgedbow posted:

As I recall, it was DOS-based, early 1990s perhaps late 1980s, and very text heavy. If it were released today, I imagine it'd be classified a Visual Novel, although I think this game predates that term. The story goes, you are a astronaut who returns from a long trip to find Earth has been abandoned. The computers are still working, so hack into them with the help with AI's or something, to find out what happened.

I remember the story being a lengthy sci-fi yarn, by my pre-teen standards. Occasionally I remember snippets like, how there's a whole society of people who genetically-engineered themselves to be able to survive and actually live in the ice and waters of Antartica. They've been setup as the evil boogey-men by "modern" society. There's a colony seed ship a bazillion miles away from Earth, but a kid on Earth can psychically talk with a girl on the ship. The boy ends up going on the run from the government, but I can remember why.

[EDIT]
I remember you played the game by selecting from multiple boxes with different icons. Each box would have a list of text entries, and as you read all the entries more would appear in the different boxes. I'm pretty sure that was all there was to the gameplay. I was strongly reminded of this game when I played a recent indie title, Analogue: A Hate Story.

I do remember this... can't recall the name.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Forgedbow posted:

[EDIT]

I remember some elements of the story differently, but this is definitely an Activision game from 1986 called Portal, of all things.

http://www.lemon64.com/?game_id=3773

It was good, but could hardly be called a "game."

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
It was a first person beat em up game that started out with really lovely FPS elements before you got to the good stuff. All I remember is that the main character kept tripping and seeing crazy rear end things for no reason.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Dyz posted:

It was a first person beat em up game that started out with really lovely FPS elements before you got to the good stuff. All I remember is that the main character kept tripping and seeing crazy rear end things for no reason.

Zeno Clash, probably.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Dyz posted:

Sounds more like hobo beat-em-up Condemned to me.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Zeno Clash is the first thing that came to mind for me too, but it could also be Breakdown.

Forgedbow
Jun 1, 2012

have a cigar

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

I remember some elements of the story differently, but this is definitely an Activision game from 1986 called Portal, of all things.

http://www.lemon64.com/?game_id=3773

It was good, but could hardly be called a "game."
Yup, this is it exactly. Thank you.

...man the pc version was an eyesore. How did we ever survive the CGA age?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Forgedbow posted:

Yup, this is it exactly. Thank you.

...man the pc version was an eyesore. How did we ever survive the CGA age?
Rod Swigart launched two Kickstarters this year to try to make a sequel. He cancelled both when they were not making a dent in his big budget goals. But he vowed to soldier on, so you may someday get a 1986 Portal experience again that looks good to modern eyes!

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Zeno Clash is the first thing that came to mind for me too, but it could also be Breakdown.

I was thinking this, breakdown certainly takes some time to get rolling.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee

Quarex posted:

Rod Swigart launched two Kickstarters this year to try to make a sequel. He cancelled both when they were not making a dent in his big budget goals. But he vowed to soldier on, so you may someday get a 1986 Portal experience again that looks good to modern eyes!

Yeah that was a really sweet Kickstarter. Too bad even crowdfunding can't make something as niche as that happen.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.
I played a game a few years back on the PC, where you ran a building demolition company. It wasn't Demolition City or a flash game, which is all I can find online that matches the description. It was very detailed, there were multiple kinds of explosives you could buy, you had to protect neighboring buildings with sandbags and stuff, and you had to pay wages for the time it took to clean up after the demolition. You could set timers for all the different charges accurate down to at least the 10th of a second, meaning on large buildings you could set it up so there was a wave of explosions, or so that you could collapse one part and then have secondary explosives go off a couple of seconds later. You even had to pay for the wire by the foot. Anybody know what I'm talking about?

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

I played a game a few years back on the PC, where you ran a building demolition company.

Operation Cleaner 1 or 2?

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
I think it was on the xbox live arcade, but going through my played games list I couldn't find it.

It was this very stylistic first person - beat em up? The setting was an ancient tribal/caveman landscape place and you walked along some cliffs and got into hand to hand combat with other caveman tribal dudes.

AnimalChin fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Oct 4, 2012

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

AnimalChin posted:

I think it was on the xbox live arcade, but going through my played games list I couldn't find it.

It was this very stylistic first person - beat em up? The setting was an ancient tribal/caveman landscape place and you walked along some cliffs and got into hand to hand combat with other caveman tribal dudes.

Sounds like Zeno Clash.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

Thanks, that's it!

hedorah
Oct 4, 2010

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

This sounds like Gladiator to me.

http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=7950

[EDIT] Didn't see that Love My Axe already posted this. But I agree with his assumption.

hedorah fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 5, 2012

Godface
Jun 8, 2007

Awkward Social Situations Established Since 1988
I'm looking for an obscure Gameboy Advance game. Probably from circa 2004.

From what I remember, it looks like an isometric game with a field track layout. There are these rabbit like creatures that have to race across the track. I think it was turn based racing though and you had to move them using a golf club.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Help me with these two games of the PS1 era, still lingering in my memory.

The first one was set in a space colony, came in two discs. You could fly in some sort of "space-apache" also in a mech.

In the beginning you start as some sort of police agency, never finished the game.

The other you played as an alien, the first level it was in Roswell after that you traveled through time.

Forgedbow
Jun 1, 2012

have a cigar

benzine posted:

The first one was set in a space colony, came in two discs. You could fly in some sort of "space-apache" also in a mech.

In the beginning you start as some sort of police agency, never finished the game.
G-Police and Future Cop LAPD come to mind.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTEIh0sLlc0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrI-AoBcr9o

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Agree that "Space-apache" totally sounds like G-Police. Sister game was Colony Wars, though that was more about space vs anywhere near planets I think.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Thanks Forgedbow and duckfarts. Althought it seems I was playing G-Police sequel, G-Police: Weapons of Justice, that answers the mystery thanks a lot guys!

hedorah
Oct 4, 2010

benzine posted:

The other you played as an alien, the first level it was in Roswell after that you traveled through time.

Broken Helix?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_Helix

A124!
Jun 28, 2009
I can't remember the name of an iOS game. It was an RPG, a PSP port, there may have been some kind of inn management involved and there was an SA thread about it. Thanks!

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
it was for genesis and a platformer. you wore a Hawaiian shirt and could be killed by clams and it was fukkin awesome

al-azad
May 28, 2009

John Romero posted:

it was for genesis and a platformer. you wore a Hawaiian shirt and could be killed by clams and it was fukkin awesome

He didn't wear a shirt but it sounds like Greendog: The Beached Surfer Dude!, a game where everything in nature was out to kill you.

Doctor Doodler
Feb 14, 2012
You controlled a tank and drove around shooting things on a red planet.
You had to collect some color canister things.
There was a flying enemy who would steal the canisters back from you.
Shooting an oil derelict would make it explode.
On one level, there were these tall black cannon turret things that constantly shot at you, but if you got behind them they couldn't shoot you anymore.
It worked on Windows 98 if that helps.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

John Romero posted:

Were you a nerdy guy with rotoscoped animation and your character's animations evolved to become less nerdy as you advanced in the game? If so, I know what you are thinking about but I can't remember the name either.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

Were you a nerdy guy with rotoscoped animation and your character's animations evolved to become less nerdy as you advanced in the game? If so, I know what you are thinking about but I can't remember the name either.

Lester the Unlikely?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Love My Axe
Dec 30, 2009

Let's go Blue Pants!

John Romero posted:

Normy's Beach Babe-o-Rama?

http://www.mobygames.com/game/genesis/normys-beach-babe-o-rama/screenshots