Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warm Sarsaparilla
Jan 3, 2012

cbx posted:

I'd still like to see accurate snapshots of my team. I might be starting Boddicker, but I have no clue who's actually playing out in the field and what my actual stats are. Is that honestly too much to ask?

Seriously? The fielding snap is correct with respect to position, the batting stats are the actual batting stats. Is this not the case?

ToiletofSadness posted:

I asked before which year Brett you had, but you never responded. What's your asking price?

See, I suspect you don't see value enough in Brett to give me solid return from him. As far as I know, he's the best third baseman readily available, but you have Youk and Ventura. I'd probably ask for a package including Raines, Hernandez, and -something-. I'd like a catcher, since Posada appears to suck, but you don't have one to spare. Since you'll be picking 29th or 30th overall, would you give that pick up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

: Okay, folks, it looks like we're gonna need a little bit of help, and we're not the only ones. Smasher's got writer's block when it comes to the CYOA, and we really don't want Smasher to finish that CYOA so he can write funny jokes and injury reports and all that good stuff. In fact, if it gets really bad, we might have to resort to desperate measures.

It's time to get the ball rolling on trades, and first of all, we have the following dudes on the block: '22 LF Ken Williams, '08 1B Todd Helton, '08 LF Matt Holliday, '35 CF Bob Johnson. What we're looking for in return are: Left fielder, catcher, shortstop, third baseman, maybe even a center fielder. Good defense is a plus! Are we looking to move draft picks? Not exactly. If the Mudholes have started to come around then there's always that risk that we might end up with a killer draft pick, so it's going to have to take a killer offer to get our picks away from us. If we make the proper moves, then more trading is to come!

Armitage fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 4, 2012

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Not to rush any of you, but time does keep marching on...

Smasher League Week 6 Injury Report

No new Champions

Two things:

1. The Mudholes have somehow come back to life, meaning that they'll want to make that trade sooner rather that later, as there's a decent chance they'll knock themselves out of the top draft spot if they keep this up.

2. cbx seems to think that his team's relative struggles are due to a mis-entered lineup. I personally have another theory, you see...no, I'll let him explain it:

: Hello, old friend, it is I, Mike Boddicker. You know, it takes a certain amount of courage to make me your #4 starter in the Super-League. Others will laugh at you, call you names, mock you endlessly. In fact, when Smasher Dynamo writes your obit, and, it's fair to say that this is inevitable when I am starting for your team, I would expect several paragraphs describing the sheer extent of the damage I did to your team. But you ignore all of that, and start my regardless, and for that, I salute you!

Cologne Emperors
Martin Dihigo (SP) (Fractured Skull) - 63 days
Matt Mantei (RP) (Broken Hand from punching some sort of skull-shaped object) - 21 days

Juneau Juggernauts
Eddie Watt (RP) (Tainted Fresca) - Out for Season

Since I literally do not give a poo poo at this point, let's have him pitch through the pain.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!

Armitage posted:

: Okay, folks, it looks like we're gonna need a little bit of help, and we're not the only ones. Smasher's got writer's block when it comes to the CYOA, and we really don't want Smasher to finish that CYOA so he can write funny jokes and injury reports and all that good stuff. In fact, if it gets really bad, we might have to resort to desperate measures.

It's time to get the ball rolling on trades, and first of all, we have the following dudes on the block: '22 LF Ken Williams, '08 1B Todd Helton, '08 LF Matt Holliday, '35 CF Bob Johnson. What we're looking for in return are: Left fielders, catchers, third baseman, maybe even a center fielder. Good defense is a plus! Are we looking to move draft picks? Not exactly. If the Mudholes have started to come around then there's always that risk that we might end up with a killer draft pick, so it's going to have to take a killer offer to get our picks away from us. If we make the proper moves, then more trading is to come!

Lloyd Moseby,Kirk Gibson and Terry Puhl, all outfielders, are available for trade. As is Roseboro.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.

Warm Sarsaparilla posted:

Seriously? The fielding snap is correct with respect to position, the batting stats are the actual batting stats. Is this not the case?

The batting stats are fine but I seem to have people receiving at bats that are fictional players. As far as fielding goes, I have a player out in the field in Ichiro that has his stats displayed at his natural position. Problem is, I'm not playing him in his natural position. I'm asking for a non-batch-processed screenshot of my lineup and defensive stats, I'm not begging Smasher to run challenges, for gently caress's sake.

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

Warm Sarsaparilla posted:

See, I suspect you don't see value enough in Brett to give me solid return from him. As far as I know, he's the best third baseman readily available, but you have Youk and Ventura. I'd probably ask for a package including Raines, Hernandez, and -something-. I'd like a catcher, since Posada appears to suck, but you don't have one to spare. Since you'll be picking 29th or 30th overall, would you give that pick up?
You suspect correctly. That trade is certainly fair, but I really have no reason to make at the moment. Eh, give me another in game week or two to sit on it. I might just throw my picks after a 5-star challenge since the players I'd want in the draft will likely be long gone.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

cbx posted:

The batting stats are fine but I seem to have people receiving at bats that are fictional players. As far as fielding goes, I have a player out in the field in Ichiro that has his stats displayed at his natural position. Problem is, I'm not playing him in his natural position. I'm asking for a non-batch-processed screenshot of my lineup and defensive stats, I'm not begging Smasher to run challenges, for gently caress's sake.

It's not too much to ask, but your team has much larger problems, and you need to address them. Yeah, I hosed up, and Suzuki sat on the bench for a couple of games he shouldn't have, but you know what, that hasn't caused nearly as much damage as Mike Boddicker and Jimmy Key have to your team.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo posted:

It's not too much to ask, but your team has much larger problems, and you need to address them. Yeah, I hosed up, and Suzuki sat on the bench for a couple of games he shouldn't have, but you know what, that hasn't caused nearly as much damage as Mike Boddicker and Jimmy Key have to your team.

Yeah, I can see the ERAs, I'm still trying to figure out a plan that doesn't involve George Mullin being 3x worse than either Boddicker or Key on a regular basis for me. I don't mind or care if you hosed up, and I even thought the Boddicker chat was funny. I just want the same stats that everyone else gets, so I can make informed decisions for my team.

With that having been said, I feel like you missed this in my last post:

cbx posted:

As for pitching, yank Boddicker to LR and replace him with Summers. Guy's dealing right now and it'd be a shame not to take advantage.

So I'm reposting it. Mike Boddicker to Long Relief, Ed Summers to 4th spot in the rotation.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

ForeverBWFC posted:

Lloyd Moseby,Kirk Gibson and Terry Puhl, all outfielders, are available for trade. As is Roseboro.

As far as Moseby goes, I'm Once Bitten Twice Shy. I'll look at the other two when I get home from work!

Also send Tom Morgan to AAA and replace him with Frank Lary!

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
Cthulhu:

Add some years to your final offer and put it all in one post so I can make sure I take it all in.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

The W's would like to use a ratings challenge on Sandy Koufax
Sandy Koufax is, unquestionably, an élite pitcher, even by Super League standards. Though his career was comparatively short (he retired at age 30), during the seasons 1961-1966 he won the Cy Young award unanimously three times. He pitched the eighth perfect game in baseball history and three no-hitters, and his strike-out rate was the seventh-highest in history when he retired. He won the triple crown in each of his Cy Young seasons and won MVP in '63.

The Koufax playing for the W's is from 1961, the start of his extraordinary peak, with 269 strikeouts in 255 innings and an ERA of 3.5 (ERA+ of 122). Comparatively, in SLVII, Koufax has pitched 32 innings with 27 strikes and has an ERA of 5.51. Compare this to his IP/K ratio in Super Leagues I-VI and it's clear he's either on a bad streak or he's been given a bad roll this year.

This is further exacerbated by the W's home turf being extremely left hand friendly, so if anything his stats should be inflated, not tumbling.

In conclusion, Uncle Smasher, I'm sorry I was mean about your cartoons, can I have my old Sandy back please? I miss him...

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010
Your former Drysdale has been similarly awful for me this season, but ~6 starts isn't really a large enough sample size so your challenge is probably going to get shut down.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

ToiletofSadness posted:

Your former Drysdale has been similarly awful for me this season, but ~6 starts isn't really a large enough sample size so your challenge is probably going to get shut down.

If it's a bad roll, it's a bad roll and that's what the challenges are there for. Also, that Drysdale's fate was to secure the Legacy, now that's achieved he no longer has a purpose. He's an empty shell of a man, pitching half-hearted balls in a vain attempt to fill the void in his soul...

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

Using a challenge on Bunning is tempting since my 2, 3, and 4 starters appear to be fine but I'm going to wait at least two in-game weeks to see if he turns it around

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

theacox posted:

Finger-Bangers:

I like this, but it just seems like there is something missing. Perhaps a late pick or OF/RP body as a filler?

Well, in addition to

'97 Alomar
'71 Sutton
'02 Zito

I can offer you your choice of:

'50 Carl Furillo, from those great Dodger teams, fell just short of being a career .300 hitter, who would make an excellent defensive replacement for the corners, or could play center to give Cutch some time off, or,

'11 Koji Uehara, who never walks anybody, for bullpen help. 3 BB in 36 IP this year, and last year "only" a 9.44 K/BB. Career 153 ERA+ and 0.921 WHIP.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

theacox posted:

Cthulhu:

Add some years to your final offer and put it all in one post so I can make sure I take it all in.

Here you go:
Carlton, Steve 33 (1978 Philadelphia Phillies)
Smith, Frank (1911 Boston Red Sox)
Sandberg, Ryne "Ryno" 24 (1984 Chicago Cubs)
Walker, Larry 30 (1997 Colorado Rockies) - Left
Kazuhiro Sasaki, (2001 Seattle Mariners) or Kim Byung Hung 2003 (Arizona Diamondbacks)
Gardner, Larry 1911 (1911 Boston Red Sox)
Free Merc Services for any challenge except those I am planning to make myself. (For reference that will be Randy Johnson and Molitor).

2x starting pitchers, a HOF 2B, a 88/93 rated 3B guy (note that Ron Santo is rated 90/93 and Home Run Baker clocks in about 90. That's a bad roll on Larry, but he won't re-roll better than 90 fyi), a relief pitcher to fill the bullpen hole, and CF/RF who's pretty good in his MVP year.

Edit: Based on information that has come into my possession, I'm slightly concerned that this pick will not be the first or 2nd if I give you all this stuff, and you continue to play well. Can we work out some protection if your pick drops out of the top 3? Your pick is worth of this stuff while it is ted williams, probably not worth Nolan Ryan, definately not worth it for george brett, and absolutely terrible for anything else.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 5, 2012

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Can we work out some protection if your pick drops out of the top 3?

I'm pretty loving dense. Spell out what you are looking for.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!

theacox posted:

I'm pretty loving dense. Spell out what you are looking for.

He's asking you to trade him back some of the stuff he gives you if the pick you trade him is no longer a great one. IMO, you should tell him to pound sand, because the deal he's giving you is only close to a fair sacrifice for him if the pick has that risk attached to it.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

The Goog posted:

He's asking you to trade him back some of the stuff he gives you if the pick you trade him is no longer a great one. IMO, you should tell him to pound sand, because the deal he's giving you is only close to a fair sacrifice for him if the pick has that risk attached to it.

Only if the pick drops really badly

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
I like this:

Carlton, Steve 33 (1978 Philadelphia Phillies)
Smith, Frank (1911 Boston Red Sox)
Sandberg, Ryne "Ryno" 24 (1984 Chicago Cubs)
Walker, Larry 30 (1997 Colorado Rockies) - Left
Kim Byung Hung 2003 (Arizona Diamondbacks)
Gardner, Larry 1911 (1911 Boston Red Sox)
Merc Services

How about, if the pick ends up 5th or worse, I'll send back Larry Walker?

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

Games of the Week

Don May posted:

LOSERS BLAST BEARERS 12-2

Rockford- The way things are going, the Bearers look like they're going to one more Super-League record: Most owners relegated at the same time.

That is, of course, slightly unfair. The Bearers are hardly the worst team to ever play in the Super-League, it's just, in comparison to the Losers, they seem crude and unfinished. Given enough time, the many owners of the Bearers could probably file down some of those rough edges and build a championship-caliber team. But time is rarely on a team's side in the Super-League, and it is an open question whether or not the Bearers' owners have the wherewithal to bring their team together.

One person who was relatively sure they don't is Rockford Mayor Humungus, who said after the game that, "In war, there is no committee of officers that decides the next course of action through consensus. A lieutenant leading a platoon does not hold a vote on whether or not to send his men into the battle. A Super-League season is little different than a war. And yet the Bearers lack any real leader, instead being ruled by a squabbling group of failed owners. There is no future for a team such as this. They cannot hope to compete with a team that has a unified will guiding it. My will. Bearers, I give you this advice: Make peace with your gods, make peace with your enemies, make peace with yourselves, because there is only pain and oblivion in your future. I can offer you no quarter myself, for my path to glory runs through your team. Indeed, in just one week's time, my Losers will once again face your Bearers once more in battle, and no mercy can be shown. Make peace, Bearers, for there is only grim war in your future."

The Bearers' press conference did not go smoothly as both Viscount Slim and Brooklyn Bruiser arrived to try and speak for the team. Viscount, having little patience for his co-owner, loudly declared him to be, "A running joke who's sole contribution to our team is as ballast, and not particularly effective ballast at that.

In response, Bruiser claimed that Viscount, "Didn't even listen to the other Bearers' owners! I proposed weeks ago that we acquire Bernie Williams to shore up our outfield, and you've haven't done anything to make that happen! Williams is a great player, and an ever better guitarist, and I think he would make our team better or, at the very least, musically superior. I also think we should change our team name because pro wrestling names are completely lame. I propose either the "Greendale Human Beings" or the "New Jersey Bosses", those would be much better names. Also-" That last comment was apparently more than Viscount Slim could bear as he starting savagely beating Bruiser with his cane, which only stopped when the cane broke under the strain, further infuriating Viscount Slim, and leading him attempt grab a chair from the other side of room and start smashing that on Bruiser's head. This went on for quite some time.

Box Score

Don May posted:

VISCOUNT SLIM'S MISFORTUNES CONTINUES, BULLDOGS BLANK IMPERIALISTS 5-0

Portland- Cheating is only wrong if you lose.

And the Bulldogs have apparently decided they won't be doing any more of that.

With a 5-0 win, the Bulldogs further solidified their new lead over the Memento Mori Division, which TKBomber is hoping to win with his third different team. And how did he do this? By having John "The Candy Man" Candelaria pitch a three-hitter against the theoretically potent Imperialists' offense. Needless to say, this made Viscount Slim, owner of the Imperialists, furious. "That this man, who I defeated fairly in the last Super-League, has fraudulently returned to this league and, even worse, has apparently convinced the powers-that-be to make his team considerably more potent than any sane man would think it ought to be, that this man, who makes no apologies for his manipulation of the Super-League, for his seeming unending acts of malfeasance, who mocks the rest of ownership that follows the rules of the Super-League, that this man should be allowed to prosper while our own teams sink into that eternal night from which there is no dawn? It is an affront to decency! An insult to honor! A ravishing of what is good and true in the Super-League! I say shame on thee, TKBomber, shame on thee and all your works. Though I may not be the man who finally slays this blackguard, I know that your reckoning will come, as it does for all villains. Your time will come, TKBomber, and I will ensure that I last just long enough to see that day come. I will see you burn..."

TKBomber didn't give a poo poo, "Oh, looks like someone broke out the thesaurus. You know, Viscount, in a way, I've got to thank you. You see, when the Imperialists were killing the Phantoms last year, that's when it occurred to me that the Phantoms were never going to be proper successors to the Skyhawks. That's why I built the Bulldogs, after all. How could I once again became the best owner in the Super-League if I couldn't ever beat the drat Imperialists? I couldn't, and that's why I did what I had to. But now, everything is right where it ought to be. I'm in the lead of my division, my team is about to send your team to the Gauntlet, and there's nothing that any of you could do about it. gently caress you, and gently caress the rest of you two. I am going to get that Super-League championship back, no matter what I have to do to get it!"

Box Score

Don May posted:

SUPERBAS' ROLLIE FINGERS BEATS BANGERS' ROLLIE FINGERS

Poughkeepsie- It was the only logical conclusion, really.

After over six seasons of Rollie Fingers blowing save after save for the Finger-Bangers, it was perhaps inevitable that, in the end, he would blow a save to himself.

The Superbas, playing their best game of the season, were able to hold a 1-1 tie going into extra innings, with their Rollie Fingers' two innings of relief being a key part of that accomplishment. Marauder, never one to miss a trick, similarly deployed his own Rollie Fingers, figuring that his superior offense would eventually allow him to overcome the Superbas. In the bottom of the tenth, though, things went awry, as the Bangers' Fingers gave up singles to Campaneris and Alex Rodriguez, scoring a run and giving the Superbas a surprising 2-1 win.

Marauder, a veteran of countless Rollie Fingers-related mishaps by now, was steady as ever. "Roland, you cut me deep. But the wound is hardly mortal, a venal wound, really. But our misfortunes are not so easily dispatched with wordplay. No, for the Unicorn, his horn sharpened to a point so fine that not one angel could stand on 't. He stalks my steps, and should I stumble, will thrust that horn into my back, as final payment for his ancestor's plight. No matter, for necessity is the mother of invention, but I travel in lands without such mothers, and so I must, I think, substitute a father, a 'Pop' if you will into my army so that my hold back the murderous horse that thirsts for blood. Maybe time will waste us all, but I would hate to waste it!"

The Superbas, though almost certainly doomed, still celebrated their win, with the entire town of Poughkeepsie, all 694 of them, showing up to support the only professional team desperate enough to claim Poughkeepsie as home. John Vander Slat, a local, was ecstatic, "Up to this point, all we Poughkeepsiers had to be proud of was our whale-rendering plant and...well...Vassar, but with the Superbas, things are finally looking to be on the upswing in this town. You know, it makes me glad I didn't burn down my house to collect on the fire insurance! When those bleeding hearts made us stop whaling, I thought that things would never turn around, but now that the Superbas are in town, unemployment is down to 56%, and there hasn't been a riot in three weeks. It's about drat time someone made our town work. Thanks, Mr. Nerokerubina, thanks for everything."

Box Score

Analysis

Rogers Hornsby should turn it around, assuming that I'm not totally out to get you. So, uh...60% chance, then?

Analysis

If you look at Adam Dunn's baseball-reference page, you'll find out that he's not off to a bad start so much as a normal start. As for Vance, you're kind of stuck. You can't really challenge his rating, because he wasn't actually very good in 1918, so you are probably going to have to consider replacing him in the draft.

Analysis

Sam McDowell is making you pay for all of the nice things he did for you last season.

Analysis

Pythagorean record of 22-11. Nothing good ever happens in Cleveland, it seems, not even in virtual Cleveland.

Analysis

Joe Jackson has 15 doubles in the first six weeks of the season, and Joe Morgan has seven home runs. Good start, but it might be unsustainable.

Analysis

Morneau is injured, so he won't be taking over for Mathews in the lineup. Also, Mauer needs more time off.

Analysis

Welcome to the Pop Lloyd era.

Analysis

The 1989 Schmidt at 3B experiment was noble, but I don't think it's going to work out well for you.

Analysis

This was never going to work.

Analysis

You have two series against the division-leading Bulldogs in the next two weeks. It's time for the Postmodernists to prove there's something more to them than voodoo sabermetrics.

Analysis

The Candy Man can, TKBomber. The Candy Man can.

Analysis

Well, at least your team has stabilized.

Analysis

I know that you don't like using Ron Santo, but it's either that or doing something like starting Jeff Kent at shortstop.

And, just so we're clear, you do not want to do that.

Analysis

The Losers' offense has never looked better, and their pitching has been decent enough as well. Unless the Oranges can really pull their poo poo together, they're going to walk to another division championship.

Analysis

Unfortunately, due to injury and a lost challenge, Mark Bellhorn is currently starting at shortstop until Reyes heals. That's a problem.

Analysis

Why does Joe Cronin hate you guys so much, anyway?

Standings and Leaders

TKBomber7285
Feb 20, 2011

Time to do what I should have done at the beginning of the season and set Terry Steinbach as the personal catcher for John Candelaria.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Super-Draft VIII Information

Catchers
1. '60 Yogi Berra (BSC)
2. '75 Carlton Fisk (BSC)
3. '73 Thurman Munson (ATA)
4. '77 Darrell Porter (ATA)
5. '11 Victor Martinez (BRB)
6. '86 Rich Gedman (BRB)

Berra is old, but the only really good bat, so he's got to be the first pick. Fisk is okay, though he's a bit streaky in the Super-League. Munson is okay, but only okay. Porter is probably best suited a platoon situation. V-Mart can't really field at catcher by 2011. Rich Gedman is a backup.

First Basemen
1. '65 Harmon Killebrew (BRB)
2. '04 David Ortiz (BRB)
3. '89 Mark McGwire (ATA)
4. '07 Joey Votto (BRB)
5. '96 Jason Giambi (BRB)
6. '72 Willie Stargell (BSC)
7. '75 Cecil Cooper (BSC)
8. '77 Dave Kingman (BSC)

Killebrew is a one of the best take and rake sluggers of all time, even if he's been a bit disappointing in the Super-League. Ortiz can't really field. McGwire can only kind of field. Votto is really young in '07, as is Giambi, although Votto isn't completely hopeless in the field. Stargell is okay, and is a bit more versatile, since he can play in left field too. Cooper is also young. Finally, Kingman will strike out 400 times in a full Super-League season.

Second Basemen
1. '64 Pete Rose (BSC)
2. '80 Joe Morgan (ATA)
3. '03 Bret Boone (BRB)
4. '83 Willie Randolph (BRB)
5. '89 Tony Phillips (ATA)
6. '78 Phil Garner (BRB)
7. '72 Dave Cash (BSC)
8. '11 Danny Murphy (BRB)

I don't like Rose that much, but at least he isn't a middle infielder in his mid-30s, as Morgan, Boone and Randolph are. Phillips and below are strictly bench players.

Third Basemen
1. '77 George Brett (ATA)
2. '01 Chipper Jones (BSC)
3. '03 Edgar Martinez (BRB)
4. '72 Richie Hebner (BSC)

Hope no one wanted a good defensive third baseman! Brett and Jones are broadly similar in that they're great hitters who were not so good in the field. Martinez was also a great hitter, but, especially in 2003, is not really capable of playing third base. Don't draft Hebner.

Shortstops
1. '98 Derek Jeter (ATA)
2. '30 Joe Cronin (BSC)
3. '01 Rafael Furcal (BSC)
4. '77 Freddie Patek (ATA)
5. '75 Rico Petrocelli (BSC)

Jeter can hit better than just about any shortstop ever, so as long as you don't mind iffy defense, he's a great pickup. Joe Cronin is slightly better in the field, but not as good a hitter. Furcal is filler. Patek was about 5'1'', and had a surprising amount of power for someone his size...which doesn't say a whole lot. Rico was old in 1975.

Left Fielders
1. '55 Ted Williams (BSC)
2. '89 Rickey Henderson (ATA)
3. '75 Jim Rice (BSC)
4. '07 Adam Dunn (BRB)
5. '80 Jose Cruz (ATA)
6. '80 Terry Puhl (ATA)
7. '11 Bris Lord (BRB)
8. '11 Delmon Young (BRB)

Teddy Ballgame is Teddy Ballgame is Teddy Ballgame. Rickey is a good leadoff guy, even if he sometimes has a surprisingly low batting average. Jim Rice is a Hall of Famer...technically. Adam Dunn should not, cannot, must not be allowed to hit left-handed pitching. Jose Cruz was better than Jose Cruz, Jr. Terry Puhl is a corner outfielder with bad throwing arm and not a lot of power. Bris Lord will not help your team. Delmon Young will cause your team to be condemned by the Anti-Defamation League.

Center Fielders
1. '75 Fred Lynn (BSC)
2. '07 Josh Hamilton (BRB)
3. '80 Cesar Cedeno (ATA)
4. '09 Grady Sizemore (BRB)
5. '21 Max Carey (BRB)
6. '03 Kenny Lofton (BRB)

Fred Lynn has a lot of interesting tools, but wasn't able to build a Hall of Fame career about them. Josh Hamilton is an walking injury. Cesar Cedeno also had injury concerns oddly enough. Grady Sizemore has a ton of potential, but I think most of you know the horrifying downside. Max Carey probably doesn't have the power or on-base skills you'd want from a starter. Kenny Lofton is old! Old!

Right Fielders
1. '86 Dwight Evans (BRB)
2. '75 Dwight Evans (BSC)
3. '72 Roberto Clemente (BSC)
4. '89 Jose Canseco (ATA)
5. '93 Ellis Burks (ATA)
6. '13 Gavvy Cravath (BRB)
7. '77 Al Cowens (ATA)
8. '02 Charlie Hickman (BSC)

Evans got better with age. Clemente didn't. Canseco can give you home runs and, well, bloopers. Ellis Burks needs Coors Field to reach his true potential. Gavvy Cravath was a great power hitter...in 1913. Al Cowens only means something to Royals fans, and even then, he doesn't mean that much. If you draft Charlie Hickman, a goblin will steal your pancreas as you sleep.

Starting Pitchers
1. '80 Nolan Ryan (ATA)
2. '22 Pete Alexander (BSC)
3. '67 Tom Seaver (ATA)
4. '11 Eddie Plank (BRB)
5. '08 Johan Santana (BSC)
6. '97 Kevin Brown (BRB)
7. '04 Cliff Lee (BRB)
8. '94 Pedro Martinez (BRB)
9. '80 J.R. Richard (ATA)
10. '52 Warren Spahn (BSC)
11. '89 Bob Welch (ATA)
12. '19 Lefty Williams (BSC)
13. '75 Luis Tiant (BSC)
14. '34 Waite Hoyt (BRB)
15. '72 Dock Ellis (BSC)
16. '31 Tommy Bridges (BRB)
17. '49 Harry Brecheen (BSC)
18. '77 Dennis Leonard (ATA)
19. '72 Steve Blass (BSC)
20. '77 Dave Stewart (ATA)
21. '30 Charley Root (BRB)
22. '55 Joe Nuxhall (BRB)
23. '80 Joe Niekro (ATA)
24. '27 Jack Quinn (BRB)
25. '77 Paul Splittorff (ATA)
26. '03 Joel Piniero (BRB)

Ryan is great, but he needs a big stadium (ala the Astrodome) to be at his best. Alexander is old but has always been money. Seaver, due to his age, has been up and down in the Super-League. I've always like Eddie Plank. Santana has power, which is why I've rated him so highly. Kevin Brown has usually been solid. Cliff Lee probably won't kill your team...probably. Pedro is also young and erratic. J.R. Richard's power pitching was so powerful that it blew out his brain. Warren Spahn is a soft-tossing lefty, which doesn't always work well in the Super-League. Bob Welch has usually been good in the Super-League. Anything below that is mainly filler of varying quality.

Relievers
1. '89 Dennis Eckersley (ATA)
2. '90 Rob Dibble (BSC)
3. '83 Goose Gossage (BRB)
4. '78 Tug McGraw (BRB)
5. '89 Rick Honeycutt (ATA)
6. '72 Bob Johnson (BSC)
7. '09 Rafael Betancourt (BRB)
8. '84 Craig Lefferts (BRB)
9. '08 Brian Fuentes (BRB)
10. '01 Mike Remlinger (BSC)
11. '33 Dolf Luque (BRB)
12. '98 Jeff Shaw (BRB)
13. '80 Joe Sambito (ATA)
14. '09 Tony Sipp (BRB)
15. '75 Roger Moret (BSC)
16. '89 Todd Burns (ATA)
17. '77 Mark Littell (ATA)
18. '82 Todd Jones (BRB)

Eckersley and Dibble are both sure things. Gossage and McGraw will probably help. The rest are just middle relief guys, I'm afraid.

Also, I don't remember what deals you've made for draft picks, so remind me.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Also, I don't remember what deals you've made for draft picks, so remind me.

The Mooglies own their first round pick, as well as the Saints' and Landers' second round picks. They do not, however, own their own second round pick.

The Superstars own their own picks, and no others.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Please place Jeff Kent at Shortstop and shoot me in the face.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

For all your mock-drafting purposes, the Super Draft priorities of the Great Googly-Mooglies:

1955 Ted Williams
1980 Nolan Ryan
2008 Johan Santana
1922 Grover Cleveland Alexander
1997 Kevin Brown
2001 Chipper Jones
1975 Carlton Fisk
1989 Rickey Henderson
1998 Derek Jeter
1930 Joe Cronin
1980 Joe Morgan
1986 Dwight Evans
1965 Harmon Killebrew
1990 Rob Dibble
1989 Dennis Eckersley
1983 Goose Gossage
1964 Pete Rose
Best Player Available

The Goog fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 5, 2012

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

How'd that list do for you? Want another one? You're in luck! This one comes to you on behalf of the Rated R Superstars:

1955 Ted Williams
1998 Derek Jeter
1930 Joe Cronin
1980 Nolan Ryan
2008 Johan Santana
1922 Grover Cleveland Alexander
1997 Kevin Brown
2001 Chipper Jones
1989 Rickey Henderson
1990 Rob Dibble
1983 Goose Gossage
1989 Dennis Eckersley
1978 Tug McGraw
2009 Rafael Betancourt
Best Player Available

The Goog fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Oct 5, 2012

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

OK, Pujols to third & Staub to play 1B.

Cone goes down to minor leagues, and it's time once again for Sweet Music in the Super-League; Viola to #5 in the rotation.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
Luna Landers

First, some housecleaning.

Gabby Hartnett back in at catcher now that he should be healthy. Munson personal catcher for, let's say, Clemens. Lollar returns to the minors.

As for the draft, we have two picks: our own first rounder and the Daydreamers' first rounder, from the Burgess deal. We do not have a second rounder, having moved it in the Eddie Collins deal.

We don't really have any major holes in our lineup, so our preference is Best Player Available.

If someone wants to flip me a second rounder, I'll use it on '84 Lefferts again, for comedy purposes.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

The Splinter Cells traded their 2nd round pick received from the Cultists BACK to the Cultists in the Lou Whitaker deal. Net result: Norfolk owns their own picks in both rounds and none other.

Draft Preferences are

1st round: Best Starting Pitcher available

2nd round: Best Middle Infielder available

I don't think there's a 3rd round, but if there is, the preference is Best Reliever Available.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

ForeverBWFC posted:

The W's would like to use a ratings challenge on Sandy Koufax
Sandy Koufax is, unquestionably, an élite pitcher, even by Super League standards. Though his career was comparatively short (he retired at age 30), during the seasons 1961-1966 he won the Cy Young award unanimously three times. He pitched the eighth perfect game in baseball history and three no-hitters, and his strike-out rate was the seventh-highest in history when he retired. He won the triple crown in each of his Cy Young seasons and won MVP in '63.

The Koufax playing for the W's is from 1961, the start of his extraordinary peak, with 269 strikeouts in 255 innings and an ERA of 3.5 (ERA+ of 122). Comparatively, in SLVII, Koufax has pitched 32 innings with 27 strikes and has an ERA of 5.51. Compare this to his IP/K ratio in Super Leagues I-VI and it's clear he's either on a bad streak or he's been given a bad roll this year.

This is further exacerbated by the W's home turf being extremely left hand friendly, so if anything his stats should be inflated, not tumbling.

In conclusion, Uncle Smasher, I'm sorry I was mean about your cartoons, can I have my old Sandy back please? I miss him...

Statement of Facts

Appellant BWFC has filed this challenge to raise the rating of Sandy Koufax, alleging that the rating given to him by the Mogul engine, as shown by his statistics in Super-League VII, is not a fair and accurate representation of his abilities as a player.

After reviewing the evidence, the Commissar rules that there is has been an insufficient showing to support a granting of Appellant's challenge, which will be denied.

Standard of Review

In order for a challenge to be granted, the appellant must show, by preponderance of the evidence, that the in-game rating does not accurately measure a player's skills. Luna Landers v. Super-League, 4 SLVI 146, 156. In order to prove that this is the case, evidence that the statistics amassed by a player in the course of the current season must be shown. Juneau Juggernauts v. Super-League, 17 SLV 72, 75. The mere assertion that a rating number is too low will not constitute sufficient grounds for the granting of a ratings challenge. Super-League v. Fukuoka Finger-Bangers, 29 SLVI 565, 580.

Analysis

a. The Past Performance in the Super-League is not compelling in this case

Appellant first argues that, in comparison with past Super-League seasons, Koufax's statistics represent a significant deviation from prior performance. As that data is freely available, it is not difficult to assess such a claim:

SLI: 4.63 ERA, 157/198 K/IP
SLII: 4.53 ERA, 236/204 K/IP
SLIII: 3.64 ERA, 228/190 K/IP
SLIV: 3.33 ERA, 241/243 K/IP
SLV: 4.17 ERA, 213/218 K/IP
SLVI: 3.09 ERA, 192/195 K/IP
SLVII: 4.69 ERA, 34/40 K/IP

The SLVII stats are through the first six weeks.

It is true that Koufax, as of the sixth week of this Super-League, is having the worst season he has ever had in the Super-League. However, the season does not end after six weeks, or sixteen weeks. On the contrary, the Super-League runs for 26 weeks, and the first six weeks represent less than a fourth of the total season. While his statistics look poor now, even a minor improvement in Koufax's numbers would, over the course of a full season, bring his total statistics in line with past seasons, and there is no reason to think that, based on his rating, that such an improvement is impossible, or even unlikely, without some Comissarial intervention.

The sample size is simply too small to show that these numbers, which are not so far removed from Koufax's past performances to begin with, represent anything other than statistical noise.

Therefore, Appellant's argument that Koufax's numbers do not line up with past Super-League performances fails.1

b. The Historical Argument fails as well

It is true that, in the early-to-mid '60s, Koufax was the game's best pitcher. Grouping the years 1961-1966, however, is somewhat misleading, as, in 1961, Koufax was good, but hardly the dominant ace he would become. He finished the 1961 season with a record of 18-13 and an ERA of 3.52. Good numbers, but hardly transcendent. The next season, in 1962, Koufax did, in fact, suddenly become the outstanding pitcher he would be remembered as. While there is undoubtedly more than one reason for such a dramatic change in his pitching ability, it is undeniable that a large part of his later success came from pitching in Dodger Stadium, one of the more extreme pitcher's parks of the modern era, especially in the 1960s. In 1961, however, he pitched in Memorial Coliseum, with its more than a little cozy outfield dimensions.

While the W's stadium, a mirror of Memorial Coliseum, is more suitable for Koufax, as the shorter power alley is now to right field instead of left field, it is still a far more hostile environment for pitchers than Dodger Stadium.2 Therefore, one would expect his statistics to be closer to his 1961 level of play rather than the subsequent five seasons. The notion that Koufax should certainly be a dominant force in the Super-League is a questionable premise at best.

c. The Cartoon Argument

Also, Skeleton Warriors? Really? Man, he deserves to lose for that alone.

Conclusion

As Appellant has failed to meet his burden of evidence to show that Sandy Koufax's rating reflects an unfair representation of his abilities, Appellants ratings challenge is DENIED.

So ordered on this, the 5th day of October, Anno Domini 2012.

Smasher Dynamo
Commissar, Super-League

1 If, later on in the season, when there are more statistics, and the sample size is greater, Koufax continues to perform poorly, then this challenge might be more successful, however, at the moment, the data is simply not there.

2 The reason for this is because a right-handed power hitter is more likely to pull a fly ball down the left-field line than hit an opposite field shot to right. Therefore, making left field bigger makes it harder for right-handed hitters to get cheap home runs. As Koufax is a left-handed pitcher, this is obviously to his benefit.

Ginge
Sep 8, 2011

Well, Chippy is already my favourite character!

Rough week, but that was to be expected against the Bangers and Gumshoes (who I'm now 7-18 against lifetime. Yay for terrible matchups). Still, I'm .500, which I'd be very happy (and surprised!) to stay at for a while.

He'll sulk about it, but Dunn gets replaced by Justice in the right-handed lineup. Justice was really good for me in the EC, not sure why I messed with that really. As for Vance, I'm not massively concerned yet, as a large part of his stats are skewed by two terrible long relief outings. I'm willing to give him more time.

I only have my second rounder due to the Burgess trade with the Landers. My preference is 3B if any of the first three miraculously drop; otherwise SP.

One more thing - have Sundberg be Glavine's personal catcher.

TKBomber7285
Feb 20, 2011
Almost forgot, but I want Dave Parker to take Medwick's spot in the lineup.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Rochester Generics
Wait, what happened to Appling? Goddammn it Mogul. Also I'm pulling Walle in MR for Miceli.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
: Finally, the Commissar's much-abused challenge system has delivered justice to this club, as my misplaced loyalty to Robin Yount is redressed; Smokey Joe has fallen, but a shortstop rises from the ashes. Come up, John Henry Lloyd, and take your place amongst champions!

: In this private office, be we the first that shall salute our rightful shortstop; With honor of his birthright to the infield!

Pop Lloyd up, Boudreau to the bench, Furillo to the minors.

Archie Goodwin
Jan 2, 2012
Using intelligence guided by experience since 1934.

I guess try Sal Maglie for Antonelli.

I'd like to propose a trade with the Imperialists - in exchange for offering my second round pick, which should be pretty high, sadly, I'd like some of your spare parts, since I have a number of holes. Would you really miss very young Chipper, Harold Baines, and, say, Mel Harder?

Warm Sarsaparilla
Jan 3, 2012

No, probably not, but my offense isn't exactly helping.

Just reminding everyone '83 George Brett, presumptive top-5 draft pick, is on sale for a lot less than that.

Speaking of trades, Mark McGwire is disintegrating this season. Bearers ownership, I can offer you Dennis "El Prrresidente" Martinez for young Jeff Bagwell.

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Analysis

Sam McDowell is making you pay for all of the nice things he did for you last season.

Yeah, seriously. Reminds me of SL V. Still, with great power comes great risk. I don't know, though, apart from McDowell, I'm not sure where I can reasonably make productive changes.

Given that, I'll accept the Gumshoe offer - I hope Chipper is less awful for you than for me last year.

As for the offer to the Bearers, I do think we need more pitching, and don't really need three first basemen, but I believe that is '95 (really old) Martinez. Still, I guess he's been pretty effective in past seasons. What do you think, colleagues?

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

The Imperialists-Gumshoes trade is approved.

Dynamo League Week 7 Injury Report

We have a new European Champion!

Antarctic Unspecifieds
Jose Valverde (RP) (Re-Education Seminar!) - 15 days

Barrow Daydreams
Bob Shawkey (SP) (Eaten by Dragon) - 10 days

Rockford Losers
Oscar Charleston (CF) (Just Kidding)

St. Paul Bearers
Claude Passeau (SP) (No escape from Ted Lyons) - Out for Season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Rockford Losers
Oscar Charleston (CF) (Just Kidding)
:argh: you son of a bitch!

Actually, isn't it about that time of the year for young Nolan to pick up a 2-3 month long injury of some sort?