Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three of Clubs
Dec 7, 2004
really truly?
Presumably he will be coming from the office, and therefore will be wearing a suit, possibly without a tie. You should wear a suit, possibly without a tie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
During my sophomore year, I was talking to one of my favorite accounting professors about Big 4 recruiting. He said that you'll get a job in 2 ways: 1) you're a hot girl or 2) you can talk about sports.

He was obviously being facetious but having either of those (or both!) will help. My favorite interview ever was a 20 minute conversation about Ronald Reagan. In another, I analyzed basketball football to identify what position I'd play for the team. Accounting interviews are fun! The partners want to see enthusiasm, the lower ranking guys want someone they could get along with. As long as you have something to talk about, you'll be fine.

Silber
Feb 28, 2008

relax, enjoy

chupacabraTERROR posted:

1) you're a hot girl or 2) you can talk about sports.

I've got neither but the folk I'm going to dinner with are women and so far the only advice I've received was that I am completely hosed and to wear a suit sans tie.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Silber posted:

I've got neither but the folk I'm going to dinner with are women and so far the only advice I've received was that I am completely hosed and to wear a suit sans tie.

That's not true, read the second part of my post. We can't tell you exactly what to say, but if you're enthusiastic and can generally make small talk, you'll be fine. Let them talk, and then piggyback questions onto that. Find common ground, maybe they went to the same school as you or something? Seriously the only thing that matters is that you're likable and a fun person to be around/work with (assuming you've got all the other important resume things in order).

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Are these dinner dates usually one on one, or with a group? I was just invited to one for the night before my internship interview, but it listed both the audit and tax/advisory managers, plus I cant imagine they would waste time on just me for an internship.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

abagofcheetos posted:

Are these dinner dates usually one on one, or with a group? I was just invited to one for the night before my internship interview, but it listed both the audit and tax/advisory managers, plus I cant imagine they would waste time on just me for an internship.

10 canindates = 10 free meals sounds about right to me if the company lets you get away with it.

Silber
Feb 28, 2008

relax, enjoy

Harry posted:

10 canindates = 10 free meals sounds about right to me if the company lets you get away with it.

This was my thought as well. We're even hitting up one of the pricier places in town.

Also they just e-mailed to say 'hey we're doing the whole jeans thing on Friday in support of some charity thing where everyone wears jeans so you should totally wear jeans and not wear a suit.' Sounds good but part of me thinks this is some terrible trap.

chupacabraTERROR posted:

(assuming you've got all the other important resume things in order).

I really hope I can assume this since they're actually giving me an interview. I had already met them previously and it was definitely the firm I had the best vibe with so I'm not too worried about 'getting along' with them.

Silber fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Sep 27, 2012

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

Silber posted:

Also they just e-mailed to say 'hey we're doing the whole jeans thing on Friday in support of some charity thing where everyone wears jeans so you should totally wear jeans and not wear a suit.' Sounds good but part of me thinks this is some terrible trap.

I was hesitant too when a company told me the same thing and so I still didn't dress completely casual. Turns out all the interviewers were wearing shorts and sandals and had beers after the group interviews. I don't think companies will try and "trick you" into take direction, so don't sweat it.

Silber
Feb 28, 2008

relax, enjoy
I'm kind of disappointed actually, I wanted to wear one of my suits. I know, I know, sunk costs and all but drat it I want to get my moneys worth out of these things.

Silber
Feb 28, 2008

relax, enjoy

Nifty posted:

I was hesitant too when a company told me the same thing and so I still didn't dress completely casual. Turns out all the interviewers were wearing shorts and sandals and had beers after the group interviews.

So long as this goes well I'll at least get a second interview where I'll get to wear the suit but good lord that must have been awkward. I was at a loss for what to wear in the first place since they stressed that they were fairly relaxed and casual and the interview was going to be over dinner, but now I'm being outright told to break out my finest denim, so that's most of the pressure off save for trying to prepare for all the terrible questions they'll ask me like 'we see you only managed to get 78 in this intermediate accounting course. Why?'

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

I've heard it called "dressy casual" before, where you basically just wear a collared shirt and jeans. It's definitely not a trick. Most people wore polos and jeans, but a button-down shirt works too. Wear nice jeans though :)

Silber
Feb 28, 2008

relax, enjoy
All those years reading the Denim thread and buying and breaking in raw selvedge jeans have finally paid off after so many ridiculous and unnecessary splurges.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
When normal people say finest jeans they mean no holes in them.

As for intermediate accounting, I'd imagine someone at that table will have had a C in the class.

Silber
Feb 28, 2008

relax, enjoy
I don't think I've ever had a C in any of the accounting courses mercifully. But all those managerial science courses can get hosed forever I never want to ever see that again and if I do I'll kill myself.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Please no :(

Normal
Oct 31, 2004
I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Normal fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 4, 2012

Silber
Feb 28, 2008

relax, enjoy
Well dinner went pretty well. They kept asking 'so... are you interested?' the woman got all smiley when I mentioned the upper A level marks I got, she said she looked at my transcript and that I did 'awesome.' Most of the interview was them telling me what I'll be doing and how I'll be working on files with one of the seniors side by side so I can really go at it hands on. They said I'll have a second interview or they might just check my references and that there are three positions, one was taken and I'm the only other currently selected candidate and they need folk to start in October so uh. I don't want to get my hopes up or anything but oh my God. I'm trying not to think of it as almost a sure thing because I never expected to get the interview in the first place. I was really given the impression that they liked and wanted to hire me but for all I know I'll never hear from them again.

Silber
Feb 28, 2008

relax, enjoy
Well it looks like I have a job. Hooray. I expected the job hunt to be much longer and I am so thankful that it was not.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Silber posted:

Well it looks like I have a job. Hooray. I expected the job hunt to be much longer and I am so thankful that it was not.

Congrats on the job!

Silber
Feb 28, 2008

relax, enjoy
The second interview with the partner ended with a discussion on salary and benefits and I was told that they just wanted to check my references and that it takes about a week to draft up the contract but that they would be formally offering me the position soon.

I just want to say to anyone who's discouraged by any of the discouraging bullshit in this thread; discouraging things like people saying 'oh my god my GPA is only 3.8 I should probably put a shotgun under my chin' or 'my program doesn't have workterms so when I graduate I'm going to asphyxiate myself with some electrical cord in the closet because there's no way I'll get hired at a training office.' My GPA is sure as poo poo not 3.8 (now it isn't like, 2.5 or anything either), I never did workterms in my program and I thought I'd never get a job and might have to settle for clerk or data entry work somewhere. Hang in there!! Don't get down on yourself and evaluate your strengths and really sell them to employers. Yes I know positive thinking alone will only get you so far but you don't have to be your own worst enemy either.

ThirdPartyView posted:

Congrats on the job!

Thanks man! :toot:

Silber fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 2, 2012

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Congrats on the job! :) employed goons are the best goons. Staying positive can be tough, especially when it feels like you're getting toyed with by several firms at once, but most people I've known who felt that way ended up with multiple offers when it's all said and done. I think it's partly a self defense mechanism where people project inadequacies and leave themselves a cushion to fall back on if they fail to get any offers. Managing expectations is important! I'm glad it worked out for you, and people should definitely take it easier during recruiting. You only get wined and dined like that once!

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
nothing

Hurt Whitey Maybe fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 7, 2013

Sukashi
Feb 13, 2006

the most fantastic monster employed at florsheim. potentially a homosexual
Big 4 doesn't drug test. How else could you work 85+ hour weeks for months at a time?

Serious though, I've never had to do a drug test for any white-collar job

EDIT: Half-truth. While the actual firms shouldn't subject you to drug screening, your clients might (i.e., if you're in audit and have a bigger company as your main audit client - for employee/contractor badge purposes).

Sukashi fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Oct 4, 2012

Silber
Feb 28, 2008

relax, enjoy
In my area the only training offices that drug test were oil and gas companies. But I live nowhere near Florida and Florida is well, Florida. I've heard of banks drug testing new hires. See if you can find a local posting, if they require a background check and/or drug test they usually clarify that in their posting, generally at the after all the listed qualifications/requirements.

It goes with out saying not to ask 'hey uh do you guys drug test or do background checks?' Even if you don't do drugs or have a criminal record.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I live in Texas and pretty much everyone drug tests. I believe the Big 4 do here as well, not 100% sure on that.

Silber
Feb 28, 2008

relax, enjoy
It really depends on how terrible the state you live in is. I have a friend in Utah who tells me every job that doesn't require you wear a uniform and stick to a set of predefined phrases requires a drug test and even some of them require a drug test too.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I'm surprised anything remotely related to auditing doesn't require a drug test, especially a Big 4. Don't most large corporations and all government audits require it?

Silber
Feb 28, 2008

relax, enjoy
I know people who work (or have worked) at Deloitte, PWC, E&Y, KPMG and Grant Thornton. None of them have ever been drug tested.

The only reason you would ever get drug tested is because your employer really really really wants to make sure you're not high on the job because you work in construction, fishery, medicine, flying an airplane, oil and gas, etc. or you just happen to live in some rear end backward red state.

Silber fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 4, 2012

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."

Harry posted:

I'm surprised anything remotely related to auditing doesn't require a drug test, especially a Big 4. Don't most large corporations and all government audits require it?

I'm in governmental auditing (state level) and I've never had to take a drug test.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

Carlton Banks posted:

I'm in governmental auditing (state level) and I've never had to take a drug test.

Mainly meant Fed.

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

Silber posted:

The only reason you would ever get drug tested is because your employer really really really wants to make sure you're not high on the job because you work in construction, fishery, medicine, flying an airplane, oil and gas, etc. or you just happen to live in some rear end backward red state.

Yes when I worked at a bank in California and had to pass a hair drug tested it was certainly one of the above reasons.

Silber
Feb 28, 2008

relax, enjoy
You may note that I also said this

Silber posted:

I've heard of banks drug testing new hires.

Specifically because working in a bank is such a position of trust. Although it still doesn't occur in my area, which is why I've only heard of it elsewhere!

Silber fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Oct 5, 2012

hellboundburrito
Aug 4, 2004

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

So I mostly post in TCC, but being an accounting major at a school in Florida, this thread is also relevant to my interests. Combining the two, do accounting internships tend to drug test? At the very least it would be cool to know how the Big 4 handle drug testing.

Big 4, never tested. I've been told that the Firm refuses to let clients drug test teams unless it is a government contract, but I can't confirm. But I also don't know anyone who's gotten one.

ExcessiveForce
Mar 21, 2010

So I mostly post in TCC, but being an accounting major at a school in Florida, this thread is also relevant to my interests. Combining the two, do accounting internships tend to drug test? At the very least it would be cool to know how the Big 4 handle drug testing.

I've worked for a large bank, start-ups and non-profits, and now in the defense industry and have never been drug tested or heard of it being done for white collar workers. When I was doing internships in college I don't recall it ever being mentioned as well.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

ExcessiveForce posted:

I've worked for a large bank, start-ups and non-profits, and now in the defense industry and have never been drug tested or heard of it being done for white collar workers.

When I did commercial finance work at the then GMAC a number of years ago, they required a hair drug test as a condition of employment.

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

So in other words TCC poster, you chose the right industry to work in :D

ExcessiveForce
Mar 21, 2010

ThirdPartyView posted:

When I did commercial finance work at the then GMAC a number of years ago, they required a hair drug test as a condition of employment.

I was working in an accounting position around 2005-6 and testing was was not done. But then again the bank no longer exists.

Generally you would be less likely to be drug tested working in a corporate environment than in most service or labor related jobs. I think my company policy requires a drug test after work related accidents, so as long as you don't lose a finger in a tragic Excel accident you should be fine.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Nifty posted:

So in other words TCC poster, you chose the right industry to work in :D

Have you ever tested goodwill for impairment... ON WEED???

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

abagofcheetos posted:

Have you ever tested goodwill for impairment... ON WEED???
I explained the Cohan rule on weed at a party once :coal:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silber
Feb 28, 2008

relax, enjoy

So I mostly post in TCC

They put me in charge of TCC and I work in public accounting so.. this is the career path for you!