Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midge the Jet
Sep 15, 2006

stephelopholus posted:

Thanks! I feel better about the job now. How do the benefits work for seasonal?

In order to sign up for FEHB (health insurance) your seasonal contract must be for six or more months. Seasonal contracts can change from year to year, but once you're on FEHB, you won't be dropped. You will have to pay the premiums out of pocket during non-pay or you can have it deducted when you return to pay status.

All other benefits, such as FEGLI, FERS, TSP and leave accrual you will get regardless. You won't accrue leave in non-pay status, but will have it for when you return.

While typing this up, I just got a suggested release date from my new Agency, and may be converting o my promotion after 9/8/12. In my case, I started as a 5/6/7/8 seasonal with IRS in Jan, moved to HHS in Feb to a 5/6/7 and will be moving onto a 7/9/11 with HUD soon. Take any opportunity that you can get, it is worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

menpoop posted:

I'm about to enter into a position as a civilian with one of the services so I might be able to add some insight. I've got a poli-sci BA and an IR-type MA. While my education was no doubt important in getting my resume looked at, I really think that what sealed the deal for me during the selection process were the skills I could reference outside of academia. (study abroad, language, internships)

To be sure, the MA helped me stand out a bit in a very saturated field and if I had to do it again, I'd do it without hesitation. But what worked for me isn't necessarily what will work for you. At the very least, if I were you, I'd make sure to get an internship that I could spin as relevant to the sorts of positions I had an eye on. Networking helps a lot with this - don't be shy about asking your professors if they or their colleagues need help with their projects. My internship proved absolutely invaluable in the interviews and I got it just by asking a professor to ask his friends if they had any work that needed to be done. I didn't get a few of the positions I interviewed for, but even in the rejected ones, I could tell that that experience was really helping me out.

I guess my bottom line is that - at least for my personal situation - I don't think the MA itself was the difference between getting offered a position and not. People with BA's are getting hired at the exact same position as I'm about to start. What the degree did was open doors for things like getting that much-needed experience on my resume and for allowing me to explore relevant, useful topics I would have otherwise left alone.

I understand it is a lot of networking and internship experience that can kinda cinch the deal, I may just be in a sort of panic right now with starting student debts and now I'm wondering if its worth it.

I really enjoy the field, I want to continue my Russian, but when I hear from friends and family who get hard science degrees who get contractor jobs (not what I want, but definite and steady paying) it gives me pause. I figure that I will stick with the program for at least a year, see what internships I can get, re-take the FSOT, etc.

I got interviews with only the BA, maybe I can get further with the MA. Just need to keep trying.

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006
I'm thinking about applying for a SMART fellowship which would land me in Crane, IN Naval special warfare center. Basically, for each year of support, I have to work there as a postdoc for a year.

I was just curious if anyone has done this or works there. Is it a decent working environment? Do happy people work there? About how much do they pay their postdocs?

I'm also applying for other fellowships which pay less, but don't come with that particular string attached.

Also, as far as background checks go, does the fact that I have a palestinian step father and posted a few times in the comedy forum sub-forum, LF, matter? The site mentioned something about people with non-american family members potentially having a harder time with security clearance.

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011
An Immigration Officer position finally opens up! Sadly I got smacked with this:

USAJOBS posted:

WHO MAY BE CONSIDERED:
Employees of USCIS (Citizenship and Immigration Services) with competitive status

:smithicide:

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Delorence Fickle posted:

An Immigration Officer position finally opens up! Sadly I got smacked with this:

I *HATE* it when agencies do that. Personally, I think it reeks of cronyism and the good ole boy network when they don't open positions up to others in outside agencies who may be even more qualified.

grover fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Sep 1, 2012

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Delorence Fickle posted:

Keep looking. We're hiring a ton soon.

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011

grover posted:

I *HATE* it when agencies do that. Personally, I think it reeks of cronyism and the good ole boy network when they don't open positions up to others in outside agencies who may be even more qualified.

Tell me about it, I'm already a DHS employee (TSA assistant security training instructor) and you would think they would open it up to the other component agencies at the very least.

Beerdeer posted:

Keep looking. We're hiring a ton soon.

Thanks. I'm definitely tossing my app into the hat.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Vets can pretty much apply for everything, right?

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Anyone have any experience working at USGS? I find that I feel I am a good fit for positions based on USAJobs descriptions but I often end up marking the "has no experience" option a lot during the application process.

Gath
Sep 23, 2009
I've been applying to Avue Central for the Forestry Service. Has anyone gotten any feedback or job offers from there? Should I fill out the profile on their site more?

btw USAJOBS sends me to avue to apply at those postions

velcro shoes
Apr 17, 2001

I swear I've been a Portland fan for years. No seriously

Gath posted:

I've been applying to Avue Central for the Forestry Service. Has anyone gotten any feedback or job offers from there? Should I fill out the profile on their site more?

btw USAJOBS sends me to avue to apply at those postions

Forest Service. Not Forestry service. Sorry, pet peeve. The most common way to get into USFS is through volunteering or/working as a student/seasonal worker. That way you'll get your name out there and get an advocate on the inside. That said, like any other federal position when applying online you want to match your resume to the job description as much as possible. Fill out your avue profile thoroughly. Cast your net wide as far as locations you are willing to relocate to. You will most likely end up in the middle of nowhere starting out. It also can't hurt to ask the station you're applying to about the process, because there are many recruitments that pull in so many veteran applicants you won't even get looked at without veteran points.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I feel secure enough in my job (read: I am now convinced the entire thing isn't just a fever dream) to post on the internet that I'm working in ODAR for the Social Security Administration, in case anyone is wondering about that sorta thing. So, I can attest that federal jobs rock pretty hard. And that you will wait forever to hear back from an interview.

Nutella
Jun 27, 2005

"And the meek shall inherit the earth"

Boxman posted:

I feel secure enough in my job (read: I am now convinced the entire thing isn't just a fever dream) to post on the internet that I'm working in ODAR for the Social Security Administration, in case anyone is wondering about that sorta thing. So, I can attest that federal jobs rock pretty hard. And that you will wait forever to hear back from an interview.

What's your job with ODAR? I'm a technical expert (T2) in a field office that is getting absolutely no staffing anytime soon and wondering how ODAR feels about the explosion in non disability hearing filings?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Nutella posted:

What's your job with ODAR? I'm a technical expert (T2) in a field office that is getting absolutely no staffing anytime soon and wondering how ODAR feels about the explosion in non disability hearing filings?

I'm an attorney advisor decision writer, so I'm new to the SSA. Im new enough, and insulated enough from the process, that I can't really speak to it. Sorry. :shobon:

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

Boxman posted:

I'm an attorney advisor decision writer, so I'm new to the SSA. Im new enough, and insulated enough from the process, that I can't really speak to it. Sorry. :shobon:

What was your background as an attorney prior to getting this job?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Relatively fresh out. I had done corporate trust work and doc review, and a couple of my fellow attorney advisors were also pretty fresh from the bar. A couple had longer legal resumes, but I'm not entirely sure of what they did (and I'm not really comfortable trusting my memory with someone else's resume, even if it's on the internet.)

Suntory BOSS
Apr 17, 2006

A quick whine: does anybody know what's going on with overseas hiring? I'm on Yokota Air Base (outskirts of Tokyo) and I'm wondering when this so-called strategic 'Pacific Pivot' is going to result in greater professional opportunities in the region. I've seen the same 10-15 lousy results appearing on USAjobs searches for half a year, most of which are Standing Register (collecting resumes just in case a vacancy appears).

Was there some kind of unannounced hiring freeze, or are agencies waiting for some sort of budgetary announcement? Where the hell did the jobs go, and are they ever coming back?

Machiavellist
Jul 1, 2012
Fiscal year starts in October, job announcements will probably follow this.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

Machiavellist posted:

Probably not until April when the actual budget gets passed. Remember the whole sequestration thing?

Machiavellist
Jul 1, 2012
Good point, but the announcements will be pre-posted so as to ensure enough applicants are available to fill the positions.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Any procurement/acquisition/contracting staff in this thread? I am currently a contractor and looking to go federal. I know the standard softwares like the back of my hand (Oracle, SAP, PRISM) and can sell personal efficiency/productivity pretty well but need more a bit more background in FAR. I'm worried all the returning vets who know their defense FAR would whoop my rear end in any candidate eval, along with whatever veteran preference points.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
What's the deal with the "federal resume?" I applied to a fellowship position that was about to close (Brandeis fellowship -- attorney excepted position if it matters) and I just used my private sector resume since I've never applied to a gov't position before now.

Does that mean I'm totally out of consideration if I didn't use the longer style resume?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Omerta posted:

Does that mean I'm totally out of consideration if I didn't use the longer style resume?

I landed my position with my standard resume format. I may be the exception, but hopefully your résumé won't get tossed in the trash immediately. :unsmith:

(iOS adding the accents to résumé making my posts look stylish)

EDIT: oh what the hell, those words looked normal when I typed them into the textbox. Apple is loving us again! :argh:

Boxman fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Sep 27, 2012

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Boxman posted:

I landed my position with my standard resume format. I may be the exception, but hopefully your résumé won't get tossed in the trash immediately. :unsmith:

(iOS adding the accents to résumé making my posts look stylish)
Do you mean résumé?

iOS is only succeeding in making your post look like ASCII garbage, sorry. As to the "federal" resume, it's more a function of how USAJobs works. Federal hirers are used to seeing ugly plain text long format resumes, so it's to your benefit to use the long form to include as much details as possible.

grover fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Sep 25, 2012

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

Machiavellist posted:

This isn't usually the case. We've gotten the most announcements in the past between May and August, at least since I've been here (2010).

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
I'm looking for network engineering jobs on USAJOBs and having some trouble understanding their experience requirements. The jobs I'm looking at range from GS9-GS11. I THINK I meet the experience requirement, but some of them list the Requirement for GS-X as having a GS-X minus 1 job for over a year, which doesn't help me at all.

Basically I have 5 years IT experience, with 1.5 of that being Networking, with a 2 year degree and professional level certifications, can someone guess as to what that would be on the GS level?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Mugaaz posted:

I'm looking for network engineering jobs on USAJOBs and having some trouble understanding their experience requirements. The jobs I'm looking at range from GS9-GS11. I THINK I meet the experience requirement, but some of them list the Requirement for GS-X as having a GS-X minus 1 job for over a year, which doesn't help me at all.

Basically I have 5 years IT experience, with 1.5 of that being Networking, with a 2 year degree and professional level certifications, can someone guess as to what that would be on the GS level?
GS-5/7 are entry level for the positions you're looking at, 9-11 sound like your proper range to be looking. Any federal job with the word "engineering" in it is likely to require a 4-year degree, though. 2-year degrees are usually listed as IT or technician positions. Your other technical credentials may qualify you, but you need to read the fine print carefully as you'll be required to submit proof of your qualifications when you apply.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Mugaaz posted:

Good luck man. I had 8 years of IT experience with 30% disability rating in the military and I couldn't even get a windows admin position INTERVIEW. I however got offered 2 jobs contracting with the DoD or the TSA in computer spots with minimal interviews...

I just don't understand.

Machiavellist
Jul 1, 2012
I'm about to take that plunge into 4 years of college for a Geography degree with a GIS specialty. Then hopefully I'll land that intel analyst, or NASA analyst job I keep seeing listed.

Baby Battering Ram
Sep 9, 2006
Snipes! Snipes! Long legged Snipes!

Boxman posted:

I am also a new attorney advisor with ODAR. Did you just spend 2 glorious weeks at training in St. Louis?

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.
Within the next year I'll be graduating with an M.S. doing a thesis relating to stable isotope marine chemistry and I was wondering what, if any, career tracks at various agencies this could set me up for. I'm still considering going for a PhD after I'm done, but suffice to say I'm somewhat disenchanted with the academic world and may not end up going for a doctorate. I suppose NOAA, USGS, USFWS (B.S. in Zoology) are the obvious agencies?

Bizarro Watt fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 7, 2012

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

Baby Battering Ram posted:

I am also a new attorney advisor with ODAR. Did you just spend 2 glorious weeks at training in St. Louis?

Please tell me how you wound up getting this job!

Baby Battering Ram
Sep 9, 2006

prussian advisor posted:

Please tell me how you wound up getting this job!

I saw an advertisment on my law school's job board in June for an AA position and sent a cover letter and resume. At the end of August I recieved an email to schedule an interview later that week. After the interview I was asked to supply fingerprints and an official transcript. Exactly one week after the interview I was offered a position and told I needed to start in 10 days or 17 days. I started 10 days later and was sent to national decision writers training the following week.

My office hired 6 new attorney advisors. We all have different backgrounds. I practiced civil litigation for 4 years, primarily workers' compensation, and spent a year doing doc review.

ODAR had a major hiring push this summer and had to get new employees on board by the end of FY 2012 (Sept. 30). Unfortunately, we were told they would probably not be hiring again any time soon.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Are there any NSA, CIA, or DIA goons in here? I'm mostly interested in what the internal culture is like - does it suck working there even if you're doing cool stuff, etc. I can't find much good information.

Just Dont Look
Nov 6, 2007

Perhaps thou shalt dain to sup on the meaty sustenance of my loins.

Red Crown posted:

Are there any NSA, CIA, or DIA goons in here? I'm mostly interested in what the internal culture is like - does it suck working there even if you're doing cool stuff, etc. I can't find much good information.

I'm a DIA contractor (and Dept. of Army civilian hopeful) in Korea and all of the DIA civilians here love it. I'm not sure what insight you're actually looking for but I know a few DIA civilians that could probably be paged to the thread to answer questions.

Jose Cuervo
Aug 25, 2004
Is there a reason that a security investigation would not be able to start processing until a year later? I ask because I listed a particular activity that I did once in July 2012 and was told that if I accepted a job offer the security clearance process would not be able to start until July 2013. Is it likely that they are waiting to start the investigation until a year has passed since that activity (so that I do not fail the investigation based on recency)?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Baby Battering Ram posted:

I did. As awesome as it is that the government is providing training, I'm pretty happy to be on live cases.

Also, as someone who actually works here, I hope you enjoyed being told "don't go outside the campus. It's...not safe."

Baby Battering Ram
Sep 9, 2006

Boxman posted:

I did. As awesome as it is that the government is providing training, I'm pretty happy to be on live cases.

Also, as someone who actually works here, I hope you enjoyed being told "don't go outside the campus. It's...not safe."

I was disappointed that we couldn't stop at Chop Suey. The compound seems like a depressing place to work everyday but at least the Red Cross is close by!

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Just put in for a temporary GS13 post at USCIS. I'm a 12 now, but boy would that be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I left federal employment on 9/22, when should I expect my lump sum payment for annual and sick leave?