Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Lowen SoDium posted:

Nexus 7 has a user replaceable battery. Kind of...

The rear cover of the Nexus 7 comes off with a pry tool, and the battery has a connector that allows for replacement.

Huh, I didn't know that.

Can you buy new batteries from ASUS or eBay or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Whats the best screen protector and -small- case for the sprint galaxy nexus? I don't want a giant case that makes the phone too big. Thanks gooners.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Ouija posted:

I've never had an LG product before but the stats on the Optimus G look pretty attractive - it should be out this month - any reason to be apprehensive?

There is very little evidence that shows LG is capable of making a decent smartphone. Basically, I wouldn't buy an LG phone.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

ThermoPhysical posted:

With the Galaxy Nexus, the antenna for the NFC is in the battery. If you replace it with one without it, there's no NFC connectivity. I'm guessing Google wants Nexus to be more consumer friendly. How will consumers know this and know which battery has what?

The NFC antenna was also in the battery on the GSM SGS2. In fact, it's the same part number.

There's plenty of 3rd party batteries with an NFC antenna now, though they're usually clearly labeled. If they're not labelled either way, the safe assumption is the battery doesn't have it.

That said, I'm still a bit annoyed with moving the antenna to the battery.

Duckman2008 posted:

There is very little evidence that shows LG is capable of making a decent smartphone. Basically, I wouldn't buy an LG phone.

A family member's experience with the LG MyTouch Q (specifically, 4 phones in 2 months, enough that T-Mobile refuses to replace it again) backs that up.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

some texas redneck posted:

The NFC antenna was also in the battery on the GSM SGS2. In fact, it's the same part number.

There's plenty of 3rd party batteries with an NFC antenna now, though they're usually clearly labeled. If they're not labelled either way, the safe assumption is the battery doesn't have it.

That said, I'm still a bit annoyed with moving the antenna to the battery.

I think Google is trying to make it as simple as possible, sort of a "it just works" type thing.

I know the batteries may be clearly labeled but there are some consumers that'd still be confused on it.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

ThermoPhysical posted:

There is a rumor that the next Nexus will be based on the Optimus G and Sprint will most likely pick that up due to official Google Wallet and Google Voice.

I'd see if that happens or not.

Didn't the Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus come out like 6 months after the GSM version?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ZeroAX posted:

Didn't the Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus come out like 6 months after the GSM version?

The Nexus S was 6 months, the Galaxy Nexus was 5 months. I think the new one would launch around those times again.

If the rumor is true that the next Nexus is based off of the Optimus G, why not grab an iPhone or something and wait for what'll essentially be the Nexus variant of the Optimus G for (somewhat) faster updates and better support?

e: Spelling fixed. Wow, a Nexus Optimus S. I can't imagine that turning out well in 2012 at all.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Oct 6, 2012

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Enjoying some sporadic LTE at the Atlanta airport. Basically have to hold the phone at eye level or it drops to pretty slow 3G. The LTE is pretty serviceable though, best speed was about 8 Mbps down/up. I could live with that if coverage in LA is decent.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
My LG Lotus Elite's best days are certainly behind it. I am grandfathered into this $10 data plan with texting, and combined with my family plan, the phone is dirt cheap every month while still having access to email, google maps, and other essentials in a world where everyone wants you to be on a $100/Month phone plan.

I went down to the sprint store and it looks like they are only selling about 3 phones compatible with my plan and they look to all be using the same operation system from 2 1/2 years ago. Is there anything out there that is goon recommended that maybe I just haven't seen yet? I plan on keeping this data plan as long as I possibly can...

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

ThermoPhysical posted:

The Nexus S was 6 months, the Galaxy Nexus was 5 months. I think the new one would launch around those times again.
One difference is that the NS4G was somewhat of a hardware departure from the GSM model (CDMA baseband and WiMAX support), while the Galaxy Nexus was Sprint's first LTE device.

An "Optimus G"-like Nexus will be neither a hardware departure from GSM models (the MDM9615 will almost certainly be used in all hardware variants, just a matter of swapping out RF amps and filters, much like the SGS3 and iPhone 5), nor be the first device to support a new Sprint network technology.

I mean, Google/LG/Sprint could artificially delay it. But I think it's really in Google's interest to see a near simultaneous launch of a new Nexus device on all carriers it's going to support, much as the near simultaneous launch of the SGS3 and the iPhone 4S/5 were good things as well.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
I'm using my OG evo4g and am craving some jellybean... is the galaxy s 4g worth buying until the next nexus release, I'm not enamored by any of the current google phones to use my upgrade

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Astro7x posted:

My LG Lotus Elite's best days are certainly behind it. I am grandfathered into this $10 data plan with texting, and combined with my family plan, the phone is dirt cheap every month while still having access to email, google maps, and other essentials in a world where everyone wants you to be on a $100/Month phone plan.

I went down to the sprint store and it looks like they are only selling about 3 phones compatible with my plan and they look to all be using the same operation system from 2 1/2 years ago. Is there anything out there that is goon recommended that maybe I just haven't seen yet? I plan on keeping this data plan as long as I possibly can...

In my humble opinion you have the best feature phone sprint ever made. Honestly, take it into a sprint store and see if they can order a replacement. Main issue is I think they ran out of inventory on the lotus elite.

Rumor Reflex is not bad, though signing a contract for it would kind o blow.

On another note, i have been assimilated, and traded my S3 for a iPhone 5. So far so good (I have a galaxy nexus yet).

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Duckman2008 posted:

In my humble opinion you have the best feature phone sprint ever made. Honestly, take it into a sprint store and see if they can order a replacement. Main issue is I think they ran out of inventory on the lotus elite.

Rumor Reflex is not bad, though signing a contract for it would kind o blow.

On another note, i have been assimilated, and traded my S3 for a iPhone 5. So far so good (I have a galaxy nexus yet).

Good to know. The Internet just stops working randomly with it requiring a full restart which is getting quite annoying

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

is the galaxy s 4g worth buying until the next nexus release,
The Nexus S 4G? Depends on how cheap you can get one.

It's definitely aging hardware, but Jelly Bean does run on it. On one hand Jelly Bean is far more resource intensive than Gingerbread, but then there's the whole set of Project Butter tweaks, so the actual performance comes out slightly ahead. But at least it's modern.

(I assume you didn't mean the Galaxy S 4G, which was a bastard phone on T-Mobile that came out six months after the Vibrant (and two after the Nexus S) and isn't useful for poo poo.)

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

To add to this ^^^ (and also assuming you mean the Nexus S 4G), I made that exact trade up, and I think it was worth it, but I made it roughly 6 months ago (can't remember exactly), so I have gotten more use out of it. I have seen a NS4G for $90 on CL, and at that price, I'd definitely do it, but if it's too much more than that, seems like we're close enough to the next Nexus that it would be smart to wait.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
What about the photon q for my gf? Is it decent?

fyallm fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 7, 2012

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

One difference is that the NS4G was somewhat of a hardware departure from the GSM model (CDMA baseband and WiMAX support), while the Galaxy Nexus was Sprint's first LTE device.

An "Optimus G"-like Nexus will be neither a hardware departure from GSM models (the MDM9615 will almost certainly be used in all hardware variants, just a matter of swapping out RF amps and filters, much like the SGS3 and iPhone 5), nor be the first device to support a new Sprint network technology.

I mean, Google/LG/Sprint could artificially delay it. But I think it's really in Google's interest to see a near simultaneous launch of a new Nexus device on all carriers it's going to support, much as the near simultaneous launch of the SGS3 and the iPhone 4S/5 were good things as well.

So it may come out faster? Sweet. Maybe any bugs will be squashed by the time my update rolls around in March 2013.

Speaking of updates, I bought the Nexus S 4G on June 8, 2011 and I set up my EPRP account on that day, the very day it released. However, my update is March 2013 which is 3 months before I actually bought the phone. I'm not complaining because it means I only have about 6 months to wait but it's kind of odd.

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

I'm using my OG evo4g and am craving some jellybean... is the galaxy s 4g worth buying until the next nexus release, I'm not enamored by any of the current google phones to use my upgrade

What Grumpwagon and ExcessBlarg! are saying is correct. I and my boyfriend both have the Nexus S 4G running Jelly Bean. It's not the absolute smoothest phone out there, but it is better than it was on Gingerbread and Ice Cream Sandwich. The phone is aging so do NOT buy it new but I would definitely say it will last you until the new Nexus drops.

However, as Grumpwagon said, if it's more than about $90 (maybe $95 - $100 tops), don't do it and just wait for the new Nexus device.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 7, 2012

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

ThermoPhysical posted:

Huh, I didn't know that.

Can you buy new batteries from ASUS or eBay or something?

I am not sure. I haven't gone shopping for a replacement battery. But I did take the cover off of mine a while back. I had an old canceled credit card that I sanded down on a grinding wheel to get it thinner. Then I used it as a pry tool to get the cover off with out damaging it or the tablet's plastic. The battery looked like it would come out pretty easily.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Lowen SoDium posted:

I am not sure. I haven't gone shopping for a replacement battery. But I did take the cover off of mine a while back. I had an old canceled credit card that I sanded down on a grinding wheel to get it thinner. Then I used it as a pry tool to get the cover off with out damaging it or the tablet's plastic. The battery looked like it would come out pretty easily.

Hmm...maybe the next Nexus tablet will have a removable battery or at least one that's easily replaceable by the OEM thus making shorter RMA times.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran
Did anyone get an OTA for their Galaxy S3 today? I got one this morning that was about 81 mb. I thought it might be the Jelly Bean update because it was kinda large but the Android version on my phone still shows as 4.0.4 so I have no clue what it changed. Anyone heard anything about this?

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c
Will Sprint fully unlock an iPhone 4S after an ETF is paid? I know about them doing international unlocks, but I can't find anything about full unlocks on Sprint iPhones.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

tomguycot posted:

Did anyone get an OTA for their Galaxy S3 today? I got one this morning that was about 81 mb. I thought it might be the Jelly Bean update because it was kinda large but the Android version on my phone still shows as 4.0.4 so I have no clue what it changed. Anyone heard anything about this?

My OTA just downloaded. I came here looking to see what to expect when it finally rebooted...

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

I have sipped from the cup of 4g LTE and I wish I could have it all the time. I live in the north side of Chicago and went up to Morton Grove for some business this weekend. Perfectly solid connection even while driving around. Top three are the 4g on my EVO 4g lte. I hope the speeds stay that high when it hits the city.

Paul Proteus fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Oct 7, 2012

BobTheSpy
Feb 12, 2012
Hey guys, I'm getting a new smartphone from Sprint on November 27th, and is it likely that they'll have the new Nexus by then? I know they got the Galaxy Nexus like, 6 months after it came out on the play store.

If they don't have it, it'll be a debate between the Galaxy Nexus and the Galaxy S III, for me. Although I could just root the S III and install CM10 on it.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

fyallm posted:

What about the photon q for my gf? Is it decent?
Spec-wise it's not bad, but I haven't had a chance to play with it.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Speaking of updates, I bought the Nexus S 4G on June 8, 2011 and I set up my EPRP account on that day, the very day it released. However, my update is March 2013 which is 3 months before I actually bought the phone. I'm not complaining because it means I only have about 6 months to wait but it's kind of odd.
Upgrades are at 22 months for contracts prior to 9/9/11. They're at 20 months now for those after.

tomguycot posted:

Did anyone get an OTA for their Galaxy S3 today?
That's probably the LI3 update that was released two weeks ago. I have no idea why it's taking so long to push out to devices. My wife's still hasn't gotten it.

Anyways, the biggest change in the inclusion of Swype. Which, if you already have the Swype Beta installed, you're best uninstalling it first.

BobTheSpy posted:

Hey guys, I'm getting a new smartphone from Sprint on November 27th, and is it likely that they'll have the new Nexus by then?
We really have no idea. There's been no official announcements about the next Nexus device(s), although the current rumor is that it'll be announced at the end of the month.

Although folks are generally expecting a new Nexus to launch by the end of the year, we also have no idea if that will include Sprint at that time. Hopefully it would, but check it at the end of the month.

BobTheSpy posted:

If they don't have it, it'll be a debate between the Galaxy Nexus and the Galaxy S III, for me. Although I could just root the S III and install CM10 on it.
I wouldn't pick up the Galaxy Nexus on Sprint at this point. Not only is the device getting quite old, but the CDMA/LTE version has mediocre LTE reception and poor battery life. The SGS3 is all-around a better device and, if you're comfortable installing CM10 on it, the port is top-notch.

If nothing else, that should hold you until the next Nexus is released. Hopefully the SGS3 will retain enough resale value (traditionally something that's difficult for Sprint devices, although the SGS3 is one of Sprint's best smartphones ever, so it should do better than most) that you could switch out to the Nexus whenever it is released and it won't cost too much in the process.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
The "new Nexus" hasn't even been announced yet, so there's really no way of knowing.

Edit: drat you ExcessBlarg!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Upgrades are at 22 months for contracts prior to 9/9/11. They're at 20 months now for those after.

Oh cool, so my upgrade will be even faster in 2015, that's not too bad.

I wish I could do 20 months now, though. Ah well.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
So took the gf to sprint so she could pick out the phone she wants and it went something like: Photon, EVO LTE, Galaxy S3, Iphone 5...

Which of those has the best battery life? She really didn't seem impressed with the iphone, and she hated my regualr evo and hates my 3d.

She really likes the physical keyboard, but Im pretty sure the Galaxy S3 blows it out of the water?

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

fyallm posted:

She really likes the physical keyboard, but Im pretty sure the Galaxy S3 blows it out of the water?

Physical Keyboards are a niche product (at best) and only going to get even more rare going forward.

I was firmly in that camp myself...but thanks to autocorrect, I'm almost as accurate and fast with a virtual keyboard as I was with a physical one. Add in Voice to Text and its even less of an issue.

Plus, everyone I know who gets a phone with a physical keyboard stops using it (and just uses the virtual keyboard) within several weeks of getting the phone.

It's seriously just easier for her to move past it now and stop worrying about it.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

fyallm posted:

Which of those has the best battery life?

iPhone 5 easily.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

right arm posted:

iPhone 5 easily.

Yeah sorry, I meant between the evo and galaxy 3?

Ozmodiar I agree, but I can only suggest...

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Ozmodiar posted:

Physical Keyboards are a niche product (at best) and only going to get even more rare going forward.

I was firmly in that camp myself...but thanks to autocorrect, I'm almost as accurate and fast with a virtual keyboard as I was with a physical one. Add in Voice to Text and its even less of an issue.

Plus, everyone I know who gets a phone with a physical keyboard stops using it (and just uses the virtual keyboard) within several weeks of getting the phone.

It's seriously just easier for her to move past it now and stop worrying about it.

I loved the physical keyboards on WM devices, starting with the HTC Mogul. Then the Touch Pro, then Touch Pro 2. It was Swype that converted me over. And now Swiftkey is what I mainly use. Given the option for a physical keyboard on an upper range device, I think it'd still go for it just for long sections of text.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away
Is anyone interested in buying an evo lte with otterbox? Looking to seek it for $250 obo.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

fyallm posted:

Which of those has the best battery life?

right arm posted:

iPhone 5 easily.
I wouldn't say "easily". Unfortunately I've yet to see a comprehensive battery life review like AnandTech did for the SGS3. However the SGS3 battery has 46% more capacity than the iPhone 5 (7.98 Wh vs 5.45 Wh). Since they have nearly identical cellular interfaces (comparable basebands and identical transcievers), the SGS3 should definitely have longer talk time.

Screen on time is probably a wash, maybe the iPhone 5 wins there, if only because it has a smaller, less power-hungry screen. I can't comment on standby time, but that doesn't really matter because both last longer than a day on standby and you're going to charge it once a day anyways.

Either way, the SGS3 has longest battery life of any high-end Sprint Android device, and probably the lower-end ones too.

fyallm posted:

I wouldn't say "blows it out of the water". The Evo LTE, SGS3, and Photon Q all have the same CPU and SoC (the dual-core 1.5 GHz S4 Krait found on the MSM8960). The SGS3 does have more RAM (2 GB vs 1 GB) and more internal storage (16 GB vs 8 GB). That said, most 2012 Android devices ship with only 1 GB of RAM, so I wouldn't say the difference there is particularly pressing, certainly not over the hardware keyboard if that's a true priority.

The main concern I'd have with the Photon Q vs the SGS3 is whether it'll get timely Android updates. Motorola dropped the ball on a lot of < 2 year old devices getting ICS updates, but much of that was due to their being Tegra 2. Again, since the Evo, SGS3, and Photon Q all use the same SoC, there's no reason to expect one device to not get updates that the other ones get, and if that happens we can place the blame squarely on the handset manufacturer. However, this is the first time that all three vendors have shipped devices based on the same platform, so we don't really know yet which of them is most reliable. (Which means I guess that doesn't help your decision much.)

Edit:

Ozmodiar posted:

Or she can get an Android device with a hardware keyboard now, and if she decides in the end that she really doesn't need it, then she can move on.

I mean, I'd agree with you if there was nothing but poo poo-for-options on Sprint right now with regard for hardware keyboards. But the Photon Q looks like a quite capable device. I'd check reviews on it carefully, and hopefully Motorola doesn't drop the ball on it. But this is one of the first post-Google merger devices and they're already doing things properly with it (e.g., unlocked bootloader), so I can't immediately say it's a bad decision either.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 7, 2012

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Sorry if I came off as smug or trolling...I actually was trying to be helpful.

There may very well be a device or two out there that have a decent keyboard...I'll just be shocked if she actually uses it all that often. Every friend/family member that "had to have" a physical keyboard later told me they regretted not getting a phone without it because they stopped using it almost immediately...and they have all either already moved on or will soon.

It just severely limits your options when picking a new device, when there are so many good phones out there to choose from if this requirement is dropped.

Best of luck though. I'd be interested to hear how often she uses it if she insists on the keyboard.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Ozmodiar posted:

Sorry if I came off as smug or trolling...I actually was trying to be helpful.
I think in most circumstances it's spot on advice. It's just that, for once, Sprint might actually have a decent hardware keyboard device here. So if someone genuinely prefers them, it's worth checking out (also see the Relay 4G on T-Mo, but those are the only two devices I can make that claim for).

But otherwise you're right, it does severely limit handset selection, and more often than not the only hardware keyboard options are poo poo. Or at least, very outdated.

Ozmodiar posted:

Every friend/family member that "had to have" a physical keyboard later told me they regretted not getting a phone without it because they stopped using it almost immediately...and they have all either already moved on or will soon.
This is by far the typical experience. And based on (assumed) demographic (relatively non-technical individual just now getting into smartphones) it's probably the case here as well. But there do exist folks that really do much better with hardware keyboards. Probably the best thing to do is to inform anyone who is new to smartphones that "many people think they need a hardware keyboard, but come to find they don't use it much at all. Do you think you might be able to get used to not having one, or would you really, really need it?"

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

This is by far the typical experience. And based on (assumed) demographic (relatively non-technical individual just now getting into smartphones) it's probably the case here as well. But there do exist folks that really do much better with hardware keyboards.
My best friend is one of these people. It's so severe that she's actually taken to calling people over texting them since replacing her last phone. Poor thing. :(

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Wow I guess I didn't realize that the photon wasn't a piece of junk.. I was prolly being biased since it had a keyboard it couldnt stand up with other phones... Thank you all!

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Okay, about a month ago I lost all signal at work. Like, it went from full bars to absolutely nothing. I remember someone saying something about needing multiple people complaining to get an engineer out; how does that work and who would I contact?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

McPhearson posted:

Okay, about a month ago I lost all signal at work. Like, it went from full bars to absolutely nothing. I remember someone saying something about needing multiple people complaining to get an engineer out; how does that work and who would I contact?

I have the email somewhere, I'll try and remember to dig it up Tuesday.

Personal opinion: S3 has at least equal if not better battery life than the 5.

Don't buy the photon Q it is a piece I poo poo and everyone I sell comes back. The fuckers keep not turning on.

No one knows anything about a new nexus, but bets would be on sprint not picking it up until later. My opinion on a nexus now is to wait 4 months for the sales to flop and buy one cheaper when the price drops.