Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Principle of the thing. The kind of guy who hacks and idles like that will go absofucking ballistic about getting mystery killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

How do we know he's hacking? I've never played Dark Souls, so I'm not even sure what to look for...

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

How do we know he's hacking? I've never played Dark Souls, so I'm not even sure what to look for...

His health bar doesn't move despite being attacked. Dark Souls is not a game of attrition battles, even with maximum health the weapons he was using would have taken off around 1/6-1/5 of the guys healthbar.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

.TakaM posted:

Modding games has been pretty simple on the Wii for a long time, one of the most popular games for mods is Mario Kart Wii. There are hundreds of custom made courses, and in this one there used to be an exploit where you could skip most of the lap by driving through the wall, but now the track creator has updated it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7XWUVQD9iQ
(short video)

I like the concept, but the entire tone seems kind of petty. "Ruin MY MAP, will you? :argh: Take this, villain! TROLLFACE!"

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Gabriel Pope posted:

I like the concept, but the entire tone seems kind of petty. "Ruin MY MAP, will you? :argh: Take this, villain! TROLLFACE!"

Well, it also forces the person to waste time in a shortcut that doesn't work, rather than simply blocking off the glitchy wall.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Barudak posted:

His health bar doesn't move despite being attacked. Dark Souls is not a game of attrition battles, even with maximum health the weapons he was using would have taken off around 1/6-1/5 of the guys healthbar.
Yeah, there should be numbers appearing when he's hit. Instead, he's invincible.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Is there much opportunity for amusing (or even lame) Left 4 Dead 2 griefs any more? Vocalize key binding and the elevator glitch have been patched out for a while.

Fortunately, helping my teammates through the first 2 stages of No Mercy then blowing us all up in a shower of rubble when we hit the gas station continues to be quite hilarious, albeit time consuming.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Dillbag posted:

Is there much opportunity for amusing (or even lame) Left 4 Dead 2 griefs any more? Vocalize key binding and the elevator glitch have been patched out for a while.

Fortunately, helping my teammates through the first 2 stages of No Mercy then blowing us all up in a shower of rubble when we hit the gas station continues to be quite hilarious, albeit time consuming.

The Vocalize command was so much fun in L4D1.

You could bind any voice clip in the game to a button, even clips from different campaigns. Certain clips caused other characters to speak, regardless of their position on the map. For example, one clip for Zoey was this:

"I guess Riverside couldn't hold out."

This cause Louis to respond:

"If we get to the river, we can find a boat!"

The person playing Louis had no control over his characters line, so anyone not paying attention would wonder why the hell Louis was looking for a boat at the airport.

This also had another use.

On the third map of "Death Toll", you have a conversation with a man sealed up in a church. He goes crazy and rings a bell, summoning a hoard of zombies.

You probably know what comes next. If you used a bind to start that conversation ANYWHERE on the map, the zombies would show up. My favorite thing to do was play the line in the starting safe room, cancel it with a laugh, and hope nobody noticed that there was a suspicious amount of zombies rushing the door. Once we got to the end I'd make someone else start the event and take in their reaction as the door swung open without any zombies showing up.

Nobody ever caught on.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Lord Chumley posted:

You probably know what comes next. If you used a bind to start that conversation ANYWHERE on the map, the zombies would show up. My favorite thing to do was play the line in the starting safe room, cancel it with a laugh, and hope nobody noticed that there was a suspicious amount of zombies rushing the door. Once we got to the end I'd make someone else start the event and take in their reaction as the door swung open without any zombies showing up.

Nobody ever caught on.
That sounds like you made it easier though? It's a lot easier to kill a horde from the safe room than the finale area.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Taciturn Tactician posted:

That sounds like you made it easier though? It's a lot easier to kill a horde from the safe room than the finale area.

It depends on who you're playing with. Some people are infuriated that you had the nerve to change their gameplay experience.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Beatnik-Filmstar posted:

Ahhh. Didn't know if there was perhaps some stat that increased the longer you were alive or something like that - making turning on some sort of god mode and going afk beneficial.

Unfortunately it's nothing this simple - GfWL has some sort of terrible, terrible matchmaking where, due to the way the P2P connections are made, it's nigh impossible to invade somebody if you've only just logged in. It's not even a gameplay feature, it's just GfWL being poo poo.

The best griefing in Dark Souls is being a member of a group (called Covenants) called the Gravelord Servants. The premise of this group is using a specific reagent to "infect" the worlds of three other players with stronger versions of area monsters. For example, there's a city about halfway through the game called Anor Londo populated by some rather powerful Silver Knights - but if your world has been infected, the number of Silver Knights is doubled, and the extra knights gained from the infection have more health, armor, speed and damage than their non-infection counterparts. They're also glowing red and black, and I'm pretty sure they're a little bit larger, too.

There's also a new DLC area that came out about a month and a half ago. This area contains a powerful miniboss called the Chained Prisoner, who has a gigantic rhinoceros horn on his head and carries a large cinder brick around on a chain. If he hits you with either, it will take off the majority of your HP. Recall the above statement regarding the strength of infection monsters (it's higher). Upon being infected, three infected Chained Prisoners spawn. One is in the same room as the original Chained Prisoner, so you have to fight two of them at once (fighting two things at once in Dark Souls is exponentially more difficult than fighting one). Another two spawn in a very dark cave below this area, which is also populated by enemies which deal damage when they come into contact with you (so blocking isn't going to do poo poo) and a spellcaster who will take off your entire health bar with a single spell if you don't block or avoid his attacks.

Have fun!

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall

Elth posted:

This reminds me of this:

TF2 server admin installs a plugin that detects, records, and plays pranks on cheaters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYSMrA3J9tU

It's too bad the music covers up a few of the hacker's protests, but they did have enough sense to turn it down for the best part. It didn't even have music the first time I saw it.

This would be funny if it was cut together in any way shape or form, and didn't have metal over it for literally no reason. It's loud and obnoxious and it ruins what would otherwise be a fine video

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Lord Chumley posted:

Nobody ever caught on.
There is now one less half-forgotten-but-really-confused-me-at-the-time mystery in my life.

trescoole
Sep 24, 2012
So this little bit of fun comes from when Darkfall was first released. At the time I was with this guild that moved over from AoC called SCUM, and they were a bunch of fun folks.

We all started off as Mahrim (dog like dudes) got our game bearings and then went to the Orc part of the map. Everyone was still a newb so the starter towns were teeming with players.

And then the fun began.

We got our block up, and the spell that would push people back (gonna call it force push, cause I don't remember the name of it), and stood by the bank in one of the Orc starter cities, someone would force push other players into the lava below.

They'd try to swim to shore, but 99% of the time, would die just before they hit shore. Someone would head down there, loot their corpse and deposit it in the bank.

Towers (if you were aggressive to a non agressive player, towers would attack you) would hit whoever force pushed, but as long as you blocked, you'd be good to go.

Also, every so often some idiot would go all vigilante on us when one of us turned gray (open to attack without penalty), but as he was attacking we'd turn blue (non aggressive, and if you attacked a blue, you'd turn gray) again, and hack them to death. Loot, rinse and repeat. So much fun.

Also, loved boxing players in. Then going to make tea or grab a bite to eat. Pleading would typically ensue.

Got plenty of fun stories from UO as well.

Edited: to explain, towers, blue and gray.

trescoole fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 5, 2012

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I don't understand some of the details of the story. I get the gist, but what's turning gray or blue indicate, and what's the function of the towers?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Vib Rib posted:

I don't understand some of the details of the story. I get the gist, but what's turning gray or blue indicate, and what's the function of the towers?
Assuming Darkfall works the same way as UO, having a blue name means you're innocent and someone killing you will make them a hunted murderer (with a red name). Turning gray means you're a criminal that can be killed without reprisal, so everyone dogpiles you.

Normally you turn gray by stealing or attacking an innocent, again assuming Darkfall works the same as UO.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Is it still griefing if the victim(?) works themselves up without any help? Wouldn't want to take undue credit just because I stumbled on a kid who was up well past his bedtime, but see for yourselves.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
Sometimes the best grief of all is merely playing the game better than someone else.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

tomanton posted:

Is it still griefing if the victim(?) works themselves up without any help? Wouldn't want to take undue credit just because I stumbled on a kid who was up well past his bedtime, but see for yourselves.

I'm not sure. If that's the case, then everyone who plays LoL is getting griefed every time they load the game.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

tomanton posted:

Well, he clearly says you're griefing him :colbert:

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Crossposting this from the MUDs thread, because I couldn't stop laughing for several minutes:

-Troika- posted:

Terra is rammstein_slipnot, by the way. For those who don't know what happened here, ASecretiveMan tricked him into de-wizarding himself on his own moo, which has led to a hilarious sperg-out in chat.

-Troika- posted:

128 on *comedy (#104047) // Fri Oct 5 14:33:45 2012 EDT
l o l // From: ASecretiveMan
Category | Status // Unassigned
Joke | Submitted // 0/ 0 votes

[chatzone] terra says, "@st room.hint_msg "<text" came up with That object
does not define that property."
[chatzone] terra says, "i mean @set"
[chatzone] ASecretiveMan says, "try @toad me and then it should work"
[chatzone] terra says, "no. that will turn me into a toad"
[chatzone] ASecretiveMan says, "nothing wrong with that"
[chatzone] ASecretiveMan asks, "???????"
[chatzone] ASecretiveMan says, "it fixes the problem you're having"
[chatzone] terra says, "and i gotta do this moo for my college course. so"
[chatzone] ASecretiveMan says, "it's a diagnostic verb"
[chatzone] ASecretiveMan says, "it'll tell you what's up and try to fix it"
[chatzone] terra says, "any better more sensible suggestions"
[chatzone] ASecretiveMan says, "i'm trying to help man"
[chatzone] terra says, "yes but @toad me will delete me from the game"
[chatzone] ASecretiveMan says, "no it won't"
[chatzone] ASecretiveMan says, "@recycle does that"
[chatzone] terra says, "i cant"
[chatzone] ASecretiveMan asks, "?"
[chatzone] terra says, "i have to do it by hand"
[chatzone] terra says, "heh"
[chatzone] ASecretiveMan says, "do what"
[chatzone] terra says, "you must @toad yourself by hand"
[chatzone] terra says, "heh flaw in your logic"
[chatzone] ASecretiveMan says, "weird"
[chatzone] terra says, "muhahaha"
[chatzone] ASecretiveMan says, "try @chparent me to #6"
[chatzone] ASecretiveMan says, "then do it again"
[chatzone] terra says, "what the hell"
[chatzone] terra says, "a bug"
[chatzone] ASecretiveMan asks, "huh?"
[chatzone] terra says, "tell me how to get back to wizard status NOW"
[chatzone] ASecretiveMan says, "what did you do"
[chatzone] terra says, "@chparent me to #6"
[chatzone] ASecretiveMan says, "you must've typed it wrong"
[chatzone] terra says, "i pasted it in"
[chatzone] ASecretiveMan says, "weird"
[chatzone] terra rages energy building in his hand
[chatzone] ASecretiveMan says, "hold on a sec"
[chatzone] lexis says, "shouldn't you chparent yourself back to 36 or
something"
[chatzone] ASecretiveMan asks, "can you still do evals?"
[chatzone] ASecretiveMan says, "try doing ;me.features = {}"
[chatzone] terra says, "says i don't understand that"
[chatzone] lexis says, "uh oh"
[chatzone] terra asks, "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?"
[chatzone] ASecretiveMan says, "hold on i think i've figured it out"
[chatzone] terra says, "i cant even do @chparent changes"
[chatzone] terra says, "or whi"
[chatzone] terra says, "who*"

> ASecretiveMan [chatzone] terra throws the energy. it flies around
Today 14:35 asecretiveman I AM NOT HAPPYYYYYYY

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

Hello Sailor posted:

Crossposting this from the MUDs thread, because I couldn't stop laughing for several minutes:

Could you explain that for those of us who haven't played too many MUDs?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

A power user is too trusting and blindly copy-pastes helpful suggestion thrown at him. De-wizarding ensues.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal
^ He tricked the admin into typing an admin command that removes the admin privileges of 'me' (aka the person typing the command)

E: Whoops yeah that was supposed to be @take_it_slow but you beat me by two minutes.

quote:

[chatzone] ASecretiveMan says, "try @toad me and then it should work"
[chatzone] terra says, "no. that will turn me into a toad"
[chatzone] ASecretiveMan says, "nothing wrong with that"

I can't stop laughing at this exchange. Holy poo poo. We really need more MUD stories considering how often really terribly gamebreaking bugs slip through the cracks in them.

Also worth noting:

quote:

[chatzone] terra throws the energy. it flies around

Coming from a history of MUDS where gods had a habit of redefining the bottom of the purple prose barrel every time they used emotes, this is amazing.

bucketmouse fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Oct 6, 2012

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah, 'helpful' I meant. :v:

I also assume that the wizard expresses his displeasure by typing stuff like 'emote rages rages energy building in his hand' etc :v

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

SpaceViking posted:

I'm not sure. If that's the case, then everyone who plays LoL is getting griefed every time they load the game.

I'd actually say that's a pretty fair assessment.

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012

SpaceViking posted:

I though we'd already worked out a hundred pages ago that anyone who plays a dota like or even thinks about playing a dota like or hell, even reads a thread about other people playing a dota like is griefing themselves.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

Rudi Starnberg posted:

I though we'd already worked out a hundred pages ago that anyone who plays a dota like or even thinks about playing a dota like or hell, even reads a thread about other people playing a dota like is griefing themselves.

As of yesterday everyone who even watches LoL is griefing themselves.

It's important to note that 'at the event's LA venue' means 'live in front of 2000+ people'.

bucketmouse fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Oct 8, 2012

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Is there a cover charge to go and watch people play video games?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Yes, it was $10.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

Yes, it was $10.
are you telling me people paid ten dollars to watch other people play a free videogame?

chopbustabrown
Sep 14, 2011

I AM THE HEAT MISER
In Starcraft 2 team matches when I feel like griefing (often after many, many beers), I will play as zerg and only produce DRONES and HATCHERIES, like I will wall off with a hatcheries so my team can't make it through. Good fun, but sure gets people mad like hell haha. The creep also spreads so my team can't build anything!

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

SpookyLizard posted:

are you telling me people paid ten dollars to watch other people play a free videogame?

Better there than here.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

SpookyLizard posted:

At least $10. That was the ticket price for a single playoff day in a 3-day event, and tickets for the finals (in a different venue) were up to $70 depending on your seating.

eSports! The future of sports!

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Revenge griefing is pretty satisfying. Played a game of buggy No More Room in Hell mod yesterday. After respawning on the chinatown map some retard that, respawned with me, out of newbieness attracts a zombies, gets himself stuck in the doorway (so I can't get out), then runs behind me and leaves me unarmed (he had a weapon) versus the zombies. So I get hit and am bleeding. I manage to get out of there and I run straight for the objective which is to climb up a ladder over a barricade. I decide to stop halfway up the ladder and just wait. My brother whom I am playing is asking me what I'm waiting for. 10 seconds later the aforementioned idiot shows up. Sees me blocking the ladder and a shitload of zombies closing in.

"COME ON MAN!!!!!"

And he dies.

Of course I get called out on it, but who gives a poo poo. Just made it more hilarious having people wasting their ammo on trying to shoot me when there is no friendly fire on.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
:siren: SUPER GRIEFING DETECTED!

World of Warcraft cities hacked

http://youtu.be/B_vCFKuXrQo

Entire cities dead on some World of Warcraft realms

Nerds got owned!

Darkman Fanpage fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Oct 8, 2012

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

quote:

More than 10 million subscribers play World of Warcraft (WoW), almost half are believed to be in China.

Oh poo poo, someone just griefed us right into World War 3.

Ron Perlman posted:

War. War never changes.

The end of the world occurred pretty much as predicted. Too many WoW players, not enough gold left to farm. The details are spergy and pointless; the reasons, as always, purely human ones. The servers were nearly wiped clean of life, a great cleansing. An exploit spark struck by human hands, quickly raged out of control. Spears of nuclear fire rained from the skies. Continents were swallowed in flames, and fell beneath the boiling oceans. Humanity was almost extinguished, their spirits becoming part of the background radiation that blanketed the earth.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

At least $10. That was the ticket price for a single playoff day in a 3-day event, and tickets for the finals (in a different venue) were up to $70 depending on your seating.

eSports! The future of sports!

Jesus, why? They're not even playing a /good/ game. I can watch people get mad LoL on campus for free. Was there an open bar or something?

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Crasscrab posted:

:siren: SUPER GRIEFING DETECTED!

World of Warcraft cities hacked

Nerds got owned!

That first article makes it sound exactly like that episode of South Park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Sammus posted:

That first article makes it sound exactly like that episode of South Park.

Yeah, non-tech/gaming news groups have a tendency to have their articles/reports on tech/gaming things come off as more fanciful then they actually are. Remember, these are the same sort of people that write articles about the success of Angry Birds.

• Locked thread