Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

Trabant posted:

The cabling is nearly invisible, but it's there. The signal cable comes from the left side (white, rides on top of the baseboard) and is threaded through a small hole behind the tile surrounding the fireplace opening. The power comes from the outlet seen on the right of the fireplace, just wired from the back, behind the wall.

That looks great, I'm going to steal this idea if I ever have the right set-up for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

10 Beers posted:

That is awesome, and I highly approve of your choice in music.

Thanks! There are only a few Hallowen songs and most of them have been done non stop. We found out my wife is very good at doing the sequencing and we've flooded the market with 16 channel songs that we like. 8 channels control the big pumpkin singing and 8 control the individual little pumpkins. Bow Wow Wow, the Doors, Stevie Wonder, Cantina Band, Duran Duran and some old school Sesame Street. And of course the Black Keys.

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.
I did this earlier in the spring, but forgot to mention it here. This is a late 1960s Gibson EB-0 that I restored, but couldn't get a reasonable price on an original pickguard. Still looking for one, but in the meantime I made this out of an old vinyl record I had around, similar to the other stuff I posted a long time ago.

edit- I must have posted my other record stuff in another thread - who knows which one.

Light Fields
May 8, 2008

This is really nice, a great transformation!

The fact you animated this is amazing. :)

Oshata Hyotesti
Sep 27, 2003
Ultros

nonentity posted:

Doing a good bit of wiring and testing to get all the features in this clock I want...

getting closer to final wiring. One more separator lamp, and some controls in the back for dimming the set and mode buttons, etc. and I'll be ready to finish the case.

that wood looks like wenge?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Soopafly posted:

...in the meantime I made this out of an old vinyl record I had around, similar to the other stuff I posted a long time ago.

I like the record and would leave it.

Here's a bit of a 4 string I'm working on.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Oshata Hyotesti posted:

that wood looks like wenge?

I think that's Walnut.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Inspired by a goon in this thread's workbench, I stole the "Miter saw in the middle" idea for mine.

I actually had the two halves built long ago kept in my basement, but I modified them fairly heavily to sit on the protruding baseplate/sill for my garage framing. Only moved the workbenches back my a few inches but would have been lost space otherwise. To get a better idea of what I'm talking about :

Before any modifications:

Modified to sit on the sill:

From these two pictures I added another 2x4 to span the gap along the back (rests on the sill), this is used for the platform for the lower shelves.

If I put heavy stuff on the shelves I'm going to need another 2x4 across the front, but I want to see how it works for now, I like having the extra height underneath in case I need to slide slightly taller things under there.

Despite my lack of planning and general out-of-square framing, it's very sturdy and the miter saw is the perfect height. I could screw the tables into the garage framing if I wanted, but even now it's very solid.

It's going to take me years but I want to utilize every god drat nook and cranny of space for organization. Picking up some cabinets from craigslist tonight, those will be eventually painted and mounted where the ladders are currently. That will help immensely in finding homes for all the random rear end tool things I need to put somewhere.

This is the first stage of "get poo poo stored somewhere other than the basement" so I can get a pool table for down there. Awwww yea!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

dreesemonkey posted:

Inspired by a goon in this thread's workbench, I stole the "Miter saw in the middle" idea for mine.
You won't regret it one bit.

quote:

Despite my lack of planning...the miter saw is the perfect height.
It's almost as if the manufacturer intentionally made the surface of the saw the exact width of a 2x4 high! :v:

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Bad Munki posted:

You won't regret it one bit.

It's almost as if the manufacturer intentionally made the surface of the saw the exact width of a 2x4 high! :v:

Well I did honestly plan this part out, but yes it quickly became apparent that it was not a coincidence. I needed to do something because with no actual stand cutting anything long sucks a whole lot.

The lack of planning was for the rest of the modifications, most of the time "hmmm I could probably put a 2x4 there -> REEARRRRERRRRMMMMMMMMMM -> Sure that looks ok I guess"

Building stuff with 2x4s and plywood is too much fun, it's easy to get carried away.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Nubile Hillock posted:

Got the last layer down! Cotton cloth + fiberglass resin. Unfortunately the temperature dropped this last week so it's going to take forever to cure.

One month later; what happened to this project? I just ordered my donor bike after three months of searching craigslist with little luck. I think their warehouse is in Houston so shortly after it arrives I'll be cutting her up :ese:

Sun Dog
Dec 25, 2002

Old School Gamer.

Bad Munki posted:

I guess I never posted a "project complete" pic, so here we go. It's no log cabin, but I think it'll do just fine:

We're going to roast hot dogs and make s'mores tonight! :v:

Yay! Campfire food! :buddy:

Also, there seems to be a problem with your cat. The sassybutt levels appear to have built up to a dangerous degree, causing the cat's hind end to begin to float. If no corrective action is taken the cat could float up to the ceiling! Recommend you fluffle that rump immediately! BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!

Jonny 290 posted:

New jewelry pieces.

Oh man I love this piece. <3

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Simple deck table I built from a few decking scraps someone left me.

Top is held together with cleats. Legs are screwed to the top and to the cleats.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Hadlock posted:

One month later; what happened to this project? I just ordered my donor bike after three months of searching craigslist with little luck. I think their warehouse is in Houston so shortly after it arrives I'll be cutting her up :ese:

It needs a resin hotcoat and the harsh Canadian winter has already set in. That's as far as I'm going to get this season, unfortunately. Post pics of everything! Oh also, make sure you're super careful when you're putting the dropouts in. There's some welding and grinding waiting for me in the near future.

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

Here's my completed 8x8 foot singing pumpkins.

Untitled by Eeek5127, on Flickr

Here's a tiny bit of video. Sure, I know you hate this song, I do, too, since I had to listen to it about 300 times in order to create this sequence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovQk8sqV4q8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2j-cK4Wq_w

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Eeek posted:

Here's my completed 8x8 foot singing pumpkins.

Untitled by Eeek5127, on Flickr

Man, that is so cool. I've always admired the houses that do these kinds of things.

I forget how you hooked this up; is it a full PC or an embedded system?

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

This was a 16 channel controller driven by a very basic 8 year old XP machine.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Not my idea, but did it in my neighborhood! :haw:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Still trying to get my garage in order. Added 22' of shelving with a planer stall built in.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Wife and kid went away this weekend so I could work on my wife and my xmas present to each other.

Before

Somehow we lived like this since we bought the house. That table came with the house, and all it was good for was collecting junk.

After

Cheap pre-finished cabinets from lowes. Was going to get the unfinished and try and stain to match the rest of our cabinets, but it's too cold out to stain now. I also had to add two new outlets in that wall (left one I access from in the garage - right one was in a small interior closet in the house). What's funny is now we actually have more room in the kitchen since they take up less depth than the table. Win win! I have some undercabinet lighting coming as well.

While I'm happy it makes the plain-ness of the kitchen very apparent, but oh well - more storage space!

Inspector Adam Approves

Parachute
May 18, 2003

dreesemonkey posted:

Inspector Adam Approves

Awesome job on the cabinets, but this adorable little dude is the best project of all :3:

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Nice touch with the new smoke detector :)

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Parachute posted:

Awesome job on the cabinets, but this adorable little dude is the best project of all :3:

The most time consuming, expensive, yet extremely rewarding project :)

Virigoth posted:

Nice touch with the new smoke detector :)

Thanks, it was a must after I took the other one off the wall.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
Finally finished these shelves and mantel for my in-laws. They were adamant that I couldn't attach anything to the stone, so I built a box. It's their job to sand and paint/stain now! Not the greatest picture in the world, but I'm not going to drive back across the state to take another one.

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back
Spent many months and hours of frustration and sweat but finally finished restoring my 1919 bungalow

http://imgur.com/a/srpJG ('before' pictures at bottom)

Parachute
May 18, 2003

dwoloz posted:

Spent many months and hours of frustration and sweat but finally finished restoring my 1919 bungalow

This is awesome and you should totally frame some of those old newspaper clippings and put them around the house (if you are living there).

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Man. Old houses are the poo poo. And yours looks great. Awesome job!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

dwoloz posted:

Amazing job, congrats.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

dwoloz posted:

Your house looks amazing, you did a great job with it. The woodwork looks so much better now. Is the floor just dirty from all your work, or are you going to have to refinish it?

Frilled Lizard
May 22, 2004

WOOF WOOF WOOF
YOU KNOW IT

dwoloz posted:

Your stove.... :allears:

Just a Fish
Mar 22, 2012
Sadly not my design, but it was quite fun making it.
Just needs the final cleaning and it's done.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Made a terrarium decoration/basking spot for my softshell turtle out of foam board & drylok

The newest project - Sorting 400 bins of screws, bolts, nuts, washers, and assorted fasteners, confirming everything is like with like, measuring, and labeling accordingly.

And then storing them on these

Pray for me

Starker44
May 14, 2012

That terrarium looks great. Were is the turtle?

Sorting all that, wow! It would take me FOREVER.

Rodnik
Dec 20, 2003

dwoloz posted:

You posted some progress photos in Koivunen and I's thread and I have infinite appreciation for what you've accomplished. Great work!

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Starker44 posted:

That terrarium looks great. Were is the turtle?

Sorting all that, wow! It would take me FOREVER.
He spends a majority of his time burrowed in the sand - Partly because that's just what softshells do, and partly because I still need to stock the tank with a few plants to give him some cover to feel more comfortable when he's not burrowed

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
I started working on a woodworking shop last weekend. It's done easy and cheap. Placing it in the basement makes me slightly concerned over the moisture coming from the outside and spreading through the concrete.
I expect to get a few good years of good use of it and then adding some until I need to something major, or if I'm lucky I won't get any problem from the moisture.

Anyway, I mainly built it to have a better place than my garage to place my lathe and bandsaw.

The budget so far have only been around $299. I expect to spend around $50 before I'm finished.

View of the room, the wall closest to the camera and a door are the things that are left to do. Most likely the wall will have two or three more beams and a "wind paper" nailed onto them, the door will have a similar easy construction. (I don't know what to call the paper, but here in Sweden we use it to hinder the air to blow into the insulation on houses.

Cheap jointer, made in China, it's a combined jointer and thickness planer. It have been working good for my needs. It doesn't do a perfekt 90gr angle and have a slight snipe. But for the price it have to do until, or if, I get more involved in this hobby.

I inherited the lathe and the bandsaw from my father-in-law last year. My wife, Maria, maternal grandfather originally had the lathe. Maria told me he used it on every Sunday, she spent time there with him while he made bowls and other woodworking.

When I got it last year it was placed on the table that is in the first picture. But due to the table not being stable or high enough I have to make a new stand for the lathe, a great project to get started with when I am finally done with my woodworking place.

erephus fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 22, 2012

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
I was broke last week and a friend offered to loan me $50, and when I told her I'd be unlikely to actually pay back a loan, she gave me the money anyway in exchange for some scrap-metal jewelry. So here it is.

She's into non-matching earrings. The ones with red ends are made of bits of a couple of Bic lighters, the circuit board ones are from an old busted Cobra CB radio, and the rest are bits of clutch disks from the exploded center limited-slip differential of an old Jeep NP229 transfer case I've held onto (after replacing the unit and wrecking the Jeep a decade ago) just in case I ever needed its guts for an artsy purpose.

It doesn't show in the photo, but the necklace, whale-shaped pendant, and the lorica segmentata-style earrings, I heated up with a mini butane torch so they have a subtle touch of the blue/gold discoloration you see on overheated steel (you've probably seen it on motorcycle exhaust pipes).

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Slugworth posted:

Made a terrarium decoration/basking spot for my softshell turtle out of foam board & drylok

That looks awesome. I built something similar for some red-eared sliders and they just proceeded to eat it :(

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

This is how the stand for the lathe turned out to be. I have to figure out a working solution for the engine, the lathe is driven by a belt from the engine. So I have to find a good way to stretch the belt and make it easy enough so changing speeds are feasible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Depending on how much torque you plan to apply, putting the motor on the end of a swing arm and letting gravity do the tensioning could be plenty. This is how table saws often work. Changing speeds would just be a matter of lifting the motor to untension the belt, setting the belt as needed, and letting go of the motor. Part of why that works for tablesaws is that their motors are often quite heavy, though, so your mileage may vary with that particular option, since you'll certainly be using a smaller motor.