Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

tarepanda posted:

Yeah, the codebase. All of my favorite MUDs were ROM-based and all of my coding experience was on ROM 2.4b...4? b6? Except for a little SMAUG.

Just wondered, since everyone's talking about... other stuff.

2.4b6. I kinda wish we could have a ROM thread because the phrase 'why the gently caress is hassan in smurfville' coming from an implementor is never not funny to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Is an "implementor" just someone with a progbit or?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
What the hell is a progbit?

ROM is written in C; only people with shell access can access the code, and only people with compile access could compile -- completely separate from the MUD, and for good reason.

Commands/logging are permissions-based and the implementor had the highest access level. Various other immortals could have lower access levels, which would change the commands that they could use.

bucketmouse posted:

2.4b6. I kinda wish we could have a ROM thread because the phrase 'why the gently caress is hassan in smurfville' coming from an implementor is never not funny to me.

I've never actually played a stock ROM MUD, so that actually goes way over my head. :x

Regardless, I think a ROM thread would be pretty empty...

tarepanda fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Oct 8, 2012

Suzuran
Sep 14, 2012

Funkmaster General posted:

Is an "implementor" just someone with a progbit or?

"implementor" is what ROM called the MUD owner or highest level administrator. I ran a ROM for many years so I tend to use ROM words for things. The implementor's subordinate staff members were called immortals. Their specialness came from being high level above those obtained by mortals, not by a flag bit. In our case, players could only get to level 90 by experience, and 92 by roleplay points. Immortals started at level 95 for quest imms / builders and went up to level 100 for implementors. You could only get to levels above 92 by editing your player file or being promoted by an immortal with the promotion ability.

tarepanda posted:

I've never actually played a stock ROM MUD, so that actually goes way over my head. :x

Wasn't Hassan and Smurfville in stock ROM? I know we had them. We were too lazy to replace the stock areas, and just expanded them.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Suzuran posted:

Wasn't Hassan and Smurfville in stock ROM? I know we had them. We were too lazy to replace the stock areas, and just expanded them.

Yep. And like I said, I've never actually played stock ROM, so I don't really get ROM jokes. :P

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

tarepanda posted:

What the hell is a progbit?

A property on a player that defines whether they are a programmer or not.

Suzuran posted:

"implementor" is what ROM called the MUD owner or highest level administrator.

So, basically wizards.

This stuff is kind of interesting to read about. I've only ever worked with HellCore (and by extension, lambdacore) and never done anything with any other form of MU*. The way ROM works sounds... very, very different.

Some of the terminology carries over, and some doesn't. For example, anyone above a regular player we refer to as "an immortal," but the actual ranks are called programmers and wizards. Well, and builders, but those are dumb. The difference between a programmer and a wizard is that a wizard (or an object owned by a wizard) can run code that makes changes to objects they don't own, while a programmer can only use code that edits things they own or children of things they own.

I know this isn't exactly what you were talking about, but I remember being told that "most" games allowed players to become programmers or even wizards (or the codebase's equivalent) simply by grinding their character up to a certain point. I'd love to hear more about this, because it seems utterly ridiculous to me.

Suzuran
Sep 14, 2012
Oh, I read that to mean you had only played modified ROM, as opposed to stock ROM.

The one I ran started in the mid 90s running 2.4b2 and I ran it from 1998 to 2003 (with a few gaps) before leaving due to drama and my own personal shortcomings. It ran a couple years after I left and then died out. A year ago I got nostalgic and looked up my ex-co-implementor and we arranged for a reunion run, but he died a couple days before the reunion. I ended up leaving my copy up as a memorial, and it sits vacant 99% of the time. But at least it's there.

A Misandrist Duck
Jun 13, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Loving Life Partner posted:

Do any goons play Legend of The Jedi? Star Wars Reality is the only other codebase I ever really got into. Permadeath and a robust space flight system? Mmmmm.

I do, I do.

Pochoclo posted:

I once created a character. Some Sith Lord paged me asking if I wanted to be his sex slave in the first few minutes.

I feel obligated to object to this post for a number of different reasons. The odds of a character randomly sending you a tell minutes after you created are pretty slim. The odds of them doing this to proposition you for some weird sex roleplay is even more slim as that sport of propositioning doesn't happen on the mud all that often. The odds that a Sith Lord, a type of character the staff tends to keep tabs on, doing that is slim to none.

If this did happen then I really do apologize and would encourage any players, LOTJ or otherwise, to contact the administration of a mud if they see this happening.

Sheep posted:

The fact that a game needs rules like this really says a lot about the people involved.

I can understand your point and I agree to a point. I do want to point out however that there are a couple different factors that can go into something like this - The "well it isn't written down" argument can crop up, for some older muds it can be a remnant of a different culture from years ago, or it can just be staff playing on the safe side.

Either way, that sort of roleplay is NOT allowed on LOTJ in any form. If anyone ever comes across it, I hope they bring it to our attention - I'd rather have a curious newbie playing than an oldbie doing some real hosed up poo poo.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

So, basically wizards.

This stuff is kind of interesting to read about. I've only ever worked with HellCore (and by extension, lambdacore) and never done anything with any other form of MU*. The way ROM works sounds... very, very different.

Some of the terminology carries over, and some doesn't. For example, anyone above a regular player we refer to as "an immortal," but the actual ranks are called programmers and wizards. Well, and builders, but those are dumb. The difference between a programmer and a wizard is that a wizard (or an object owned by a wizard) can run code that makes changes to objects they don't own, while a programmer can only use code that edits things they own or children of things they own.

I know this isn't exactly what you were talking about, but I remember being told that "most" games allowed players to become programmers or even wizards (or the codebase's equivalent) simply by grinding their character up to a certain point. I'd love to hear more about this, because it seems utterly ridiculous to me.

In ROM, in my experience, anything over a player level is an immortal. The actual "ranks" aren't really defined other than implementor (top). For example, on some MUDs I played on, Coder was an actual immortal rank; sometimes it would be just below implementor, sometimes it would be at the very bottom. Builder, ditto -- sometimes it would be a mid-level rank, sometimes it would be the lowest rank with OLC command permissions. Ditto for the various other kinds of immortals. There isn't really a hard-and-fast system for who ranks where -- some MUDs didn't even have builder/coder immortals -- you'd just have a different port where people would build/test code, which would be copied over to the real MUD when time came to deploy.

Lords of War (I forget what it was based on?) allowed people to level up to "immortal-like" status, IIRC. After a certain number of remorts, you'd start getting access to commands that immortals had -- things like restrings, ability to use OLC in certain rooms, a limited goto (only lower ranks, no vnums/mobs), etc. But they wouldn't actually get the power commands or unlimited commands.

ROM is fundamentally different because a coder is actually a coder. They work with the C code that the MUD runs rather than an in-MUD scripting language. That doesn't require any kind of in-game permission and... well, they don't exactly get restricted to X objects or areas or whatever -- they're actually coding.

Edit: Is there any goon-recommended MUD hosting?

tarepanda fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Oct 8, 2012

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

The really amazing thing about ROM is that there used to be huge libraries of code snippets written for it where you could just grab features and jam them into your game with no thought to how they interact with other features. Half of these weren't even very well written (the most popular auction house snippet has an amazing bug that I wrote up in the griefing thread) and most of the time in any bloated codebase you could get endless amusement out of making things interact in ways they were never intended to if you had a little imagination.

Hassan, for people have never played a ROM mud, is a big beefy mob who hangs out at spawn and murders anyone who starts a fight there. A couple months apart wizards (the actual class, not the rank) got a one-way portal spell and berserkers got a headbutt skill which would knock mobs through a random exit in the room. This resulted in pretty much every shopkeeper, vendor or quest giver winding up in random rooms in hard-to-reach high-level areas almost all the time until it was patched about a week later. Hassan would routinely wind up in Smurfville just to screw with low level people who would use scripts to clear the newbie areas.

bucketmouse fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Oct 8, 2012

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

That reminds me of the notorious Freedom City nuking in HellMoo.

For those that weren't there or don't remember, there's a portalgun item in Hell. This all happened shortly after I started playing and long before I progged for them so I don't know how long it had existed. In any case, it was rare due to how difficult it was to make (at least at the time, before everyone and his mother had the blueprints), so when a portal opened in Freedom City (the game's "safe" zone), lots of players took notice. The portal led to Maas Neotek, another city in the game, and while myself and a large group of other newbies were basically standing around scratching our heads, the more advanced players were starting to understand what was happening.

Maas Neotek is part of a questline in which the ultimate goal is to launch a nuclear missile at the city. When the missile hits, the "wave" passes through every room in the area and kills everything, leaving behind tons of radiation to ensure anyone who enters shortly after the blast is also killed. The problem here was the way the blast was coded - it stopped specifically at the city gate, instead of after a certain number of tiles, passing through any other exit it encountered. This included the player-placed portal exits.

So the high-level players start piecing this together and the news makes its way to the admins. Knowing them as I do now, I imagine they thought this was pretty hilarious and were probably intentionally inciting panic among the players, but from the perspective of a newbie everything seemed very chaotic and confusing as the admins started making rushed announcements over chat networks and shouting text to all connected players telling everyone to GET OUT OF FREEDOM CITY.

The inevitable happened and the nuke hit, spread through the city, and from there through the rest of the game's map (or a large portion of it, before reaching certain exits that it couldn't pass through), killing nearly everyone connected. Worse - the clone tanks most people respawned at were within the blast radius, ensuring that everyone continued to get rad sickness and die. More experienced players were on rad-controlling meds and trying to detox newer players as they came out of the vats, but for hours the situation was completely out of control.

What really gets me about this situation was the way it was handled. Not only did the admins NOT do the sensible thing and move the portals before the nuke hit, they intentionally stirred the players into a frenzy, did not comment or intervene during the resulting chaos, and eventually honored the players who set the attack up with statues and memorials before fixing the exploit.

(Don't interperate that to mean they were doing a poor job, that's what I really loved about Hell before everything went to poo poo, and that exact experience was a large part about why I cared about the game enough to want to admin for it.)

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
On one hand, I love original worlds, but on the other, it's nice to play a new game and see ROM standbys.

Smurf Village, Mahn-Tor, Astral Planes, the Underdark, and maybe one of the most infuriatingly detailed areas of all time, Drakyri Island with all of its ((~*~)) gear and whatnot.

EDIT:
Speaking of ROMs and since I'm on a Final Fantasy kick, I ran into some game called End of Time. It's very FF/Chrono Trigger themed, I'm kinda digging it.

I spent 3 minutes designing my own limit break attack messages :allears:

http://www.mudconnect.com/mud-bin/simple_search.cgi?Mode=MUD&mud=End+of+Time

Loving Life Partner fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Oct 8, 2012

Suzuran
Sep 14, 2012

tarepanda posted:

ROM is fundamentally different because a coder is actually a coder. They work with the C code that the MUD runs rather than an in-MUD scripting language. That doesn't require any kind of in-game permission and... well, they don't exactly get restricted to X objects or areas or whatever -- they're actually coding.

This is why I loved ROM, and still do. You've heard the expression "more than enough rope"? ROM gives you a rope-making machine and tells you to have at it. If you can program in C, then you have almost no limitations to what you can do. Your only major constraints are time and what amount of crap your players will put up with. If I learned nothing else from my tenure as a ROM implementor, I learned C.

If I had to identify one root flaw that was responsible for all of my other administrative failures, I would have to say it was my terrible view of players. Quite simply, I saw the players as merely toys for my amusement. Of course I made friends with some of them and valued those few, but the average player was just there to be abused however I felt like at the moment. When stuff like what Funkmaster General described happened, I wasn't just condoning it, I was probably partially or directly responsible. This was probably encouraged by having an established MUD fall into my lap due to catastrophe rather than having to build it up from nothing. If I had to work to get it I would probably have valued it a lot more.

As for hosting, I don't know about mud-specific hosting, but linode has been nice to me so far. I don't know if you want to pay for a full VPS instance when all you want is a MUD though.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I never figured out C too well, so my realm was mostly building areas/designing quests/writing MPROGs.

Loved finding a game with MPROGs, and RPROGS/OPROGS. You could gently caress with people so bad.

Also, since ROM and RoT games are mostly hack and slash, I did my best to reward players who explored and read descriptions and severely punish players who didn't. Have brief toggled on? Boy are YOU screwed.

All my doors are no_pass, the locked ones are no_pick/no_bash, there always be at least 1 or 2 additional wings to the area that you won't get into without exploring things thoroughly.

Also connect gear (blade + hilt = connect blade, or ring + setting = connect ring) pieces hidden and scattered around.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I was a big fan of hidden doors hinted at in room descriptions... or keys that were strung as unusual items and hinted at in room descriptions -- for example, you could find a book somewhere and then in a room in the area, there would be a description about a bookshelf missing only one book.

ROM has a special place in my heart because it's what motivated me to learn to code. One of my first big projects was a gem mod that was shamelessly ripped off of D2.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

FordPRefectLL posted:

Also, LOTJ is hardly empty. The areas are small and focused because the layout is constantly changing due to IC events. Recently, Lorrd was bombed and the entire planet was rebuilt in less than a week to reflect that, then converted to a prison by the Empire.

You don't see player names unless they're introduced to you, so unless you notice differences in behavior, you don't know what's an NPC and what's not. Saying, "Uh hey, what's up. Are you real?" reads as against the rules.** Initial gameplay unless you have points amounts to setting up a script to dig for gems in a cave for a couple of hours, or jumping in a spaceship and flying back-and-forth alone for a long time.

I don't doubt there's a good deal of people (mudstats says there is), and that things are going on (I remember monitoring radio channels and found one where a ton of people were engaging in some sort of Lorrdian political debate way-back-when). These things are all simply impenetrable to a new player who has to be pretty dedicated to find it and last long enough to do so. Until you do, you're just alone in a cave digging through rocks.

**In fact, if I'm remembering the right MUD, asking "How to fight" or "Where can I get batteries" gets you the response, "Ask IC". Asking IC usually gets you a hamfisted response like "Let me show you the ropes young sir" or "Ah, XXXXX sells only the most premium of batteries" when the realistic response should be something to the effect of "Um, you just do it? Go watch some MMA kid, you're bothering me." or "I don't know, a grocery store? Amazon? Good luck, I'm kind of busy or I would totally walk a stranger in the street accosting me for things places. Weirdo."

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Anyone know a quick and dirty way to telnet around brutal work firewalls?

I just want to play a dumb text game :cry:

I've read all about proxy sites and SSH tunneling but its just a bit beyond me.

I need something simple like a website that just relays for me, or something.

Suzuran
Sep 14, 2012

Try to telnet to eientei.umtec.com on the normal telnet port (23).
If that works, I can make you an account there and you can telnet to other places from it.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Suzuran posted:

Try to telnet to eientei.umtec.com on the normal telnet port (23).
If that works, I can make you an account there and you can telnet to other places from it.

Yeah no go, it seems like any outgoing telnet connection is blocked.

I think poo poo is locked down pretty tight around here.

This site says 23, 25 fail, but a few others work.

http://portquiz.positon.org:4000/

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

piL posted:

Guy that totally didn't join a clan.

You can autojoin most of the clans from the newbie school and there is literally a clan now devoted to teaching newbies how to play but any clan will be helpful to people who join. This will be anyone's experience if they refuse to interact with other players and just try to wander around alone. It's a social game, just join a clan. Also, there's one whole planet where mobs have the same strings as players, Ord Mantell and the guy who built it is a dick. The rest, it's super easy to tell the difference between mobs and players.

This isn't really about you but I hear this from time to time from newbies who get frustrated on there. I can never understand people who go "ugh I can never find people" but then completely avoid the easy, most accessible route to other players.

End of Time is pretty fun but it gets kind of boring/difficult if you don't have other people to play it with at higher levels. I capped out on there when the max was 50, I don't now if it's changed but there was pretty much no pbase when I tried it.

Big Bowie Bonanza fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 8, 2012

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

Was the ROM Jukebox code stock?

Jukebox was probably the most hilariously stupid/abusable thing ever. You'd type 'play <some song name>' in the room with the jukebox and it would emit the lyrics to whatever song at regular intervals. It's important to note that once a song starts there's no way to stop it until it ends naturally. You could also queue multiple songs (up to 10 iirc) to play back to back.

At some point some new feature resulted in the get_object_in_room() function being modified to include stuff people in the room were wearing. As soon as one of the builders got word of this he went straight to underdark and flagged the pentagram dagger as a jukebox. Given that this particular dagger was the most powerful dagger-type weapon in the game outside of quest weapons almost everyone playing a rogue would have one or multiple depending on if they were dual-wield specced or not.

The end result was massive rogue vs rogue battles in the arena where none of the combatants' weapons would stop singing White Christmas.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

tarepanda posted:

Edit: Is there any goon-recommended MUD hosting?
Amazon EC2 works fine in my experience, though linode would work just as well. I've used both and have had no problems with either.

It depends on codebase and individual preference. As I recall, some Diku derivatives had compile flags such that if players hit the level cap and then killed something else they'd automatically become the lowest level of immortal.

Anyways, I always thought the "choose your own skills/spells" aspect of Merc derivatives was cool. A bit (er, completely) unbalanced, but cool.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I played on a RoT game with 2 different ways to do custom class.

The first (by staff admission broken) way was the Shapeshifter class, which could basically choose from every skill and spellgroup at creation and would have obscenely high experience to level. They didn't consider that proto spergs wouldn't give a gently caress if they could have dispel magic (drop sanctuary [-50% damage]) and then circle (biggest damage dealing skill). So even with all the drawbacks (low hps, low max skill caps, etc) they were still gods after people put 500 hours into them.

They finally said "poo poo!" and made a new class, which is still my favorite mud class ever, the DOPPLEGANGER.

The doppleganger would mold it's body to fit mobile NPCs and gain access to a pool of skills and spells that that NPC had, and if they were of sufficient level, they could learn them permanently and have them outside that form.

It added a really great scavenger hunt aspect to the game, different NPC forms had different resists and vulns and special attributes, so swapping into something else was like changing your race at will, and the doppleganger itself had lots of cool innate skills like growing various utility body parts (claws, eyestalks, fins, wings), an extra set of arms, mutating its body around attacks as a dodge. So cool.

Suzuran
Sep 14, 2012

bucketmouse posted:

Was the ROM Jukebox code stock?
I think it was. At one point I had modified ours so that it looked for a magic word in the song text that would cause the song to loop back to the beginning, then wrote a suitably equipped version of The Song that Doesn't End.

My co-implementor removed it very shortly after it was discovered. I wonder why?

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
Today I was incredibly bored and away from my computer, so I tried out the BlowTorch Mud Client for Android. With a Blackberry knockoff it's not bad at all, though I'm sure the small screen will ruin my eyes.

I just want to play a dumb text game :cry:

I've read all about proxy sites and SSH tunneling but its just a bit beyond me.

I need something simple like a website that just relays for me, or something.

Can you use flash-based telnet clients? One such client is located on The Mud Connector. It's pretty bare bones, and I can't speak for how secure it is, but that may be one of your few options.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Blowtorch's input seemed really slow to respond, at least on my Nexus 7. Like I'd be spamming e/enter/e/enter/e/enter/e/enter and it seemed to be waiting to finish receiving before it'd send rather than just sending all the commands independent of any text coming downstream.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

dispel magic (drop sanctuary [-50% damage]) and then circle (biggest damage dealing skill)

I'm so glad this wasn't just a thing that happened on the MUDs I played. Add on Second Strike, Third Strike and Backstab and you've got the popular rogue minmax build.

con guard
bac gu
cir
!
!
!
!
and so on.

Doppelganger sounds like a blast though, I wish we'd gotten that. We did have a 'make statuses permanent' spell though that scaled up to obscene gold costs based on the level of the effect.

Didn't stop us from casting it furiously on people affected by lv3 Change Sex (as invoked by smurfberries). Even though it cost ~60g, the sheer amount of rage it generated was worth it.

E: does the area name 'Body Parts Castle' ring a bell?

bucketmouse fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Oct 9, 2012

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Sheep posted:

Amazon EC2 works fine in my experience, though linode would work just as well. I've used both and have had no problems with either.

Linode looks awfully expensive for hosting a dinky little MUD. :x

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
There's cheaper VPS options. You might want to look at something like RocketVPS. That starts at 10 bucks a month. It's also owned and operated by KnownHost which is a pretty large 'premium' host known for their support so it's not some fly by night run out of a high school kids closet.

The cheapest one will definitely be more than enough to get a small mud going.

Edit: Not trying to schill, just have used VPSes from various providers for years and am happy with the servers I have at RocketVPS for what they are.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

FordPRefectLL posted:

End of Time is pretty fun but it gets kind of boring/difficult if you don't have other people to play it with at higher levels. I capped out on there when the max was 50, I don't now if it's changed but there was pretty much no pbase when I tried it.

For anyone that might want to check this out based on it borrowing heavily from Square IP:

It has about 12-20 active players at any time, and it's just overflowing with FF/Chrono references, it's really quite charming. Especially when I discovered I had a list of Key Items :3

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah no go, it seems like any outgoing telnet connection is blocked.

I think poo poo is locked down pretty tight around here.

This site says 23, 25 fail, but a few others work.

http://portquiz.positon.org:4000/

What ports are open?

If you have a Linux machine at home or something, it's really easy to set up an SSH server listening on some random port they don't block (HTTPS?) and use that.

If not, something like fMUD might work, I'm not sure where the connection originates with that.

Suzuran posted:

This is why I loved ROM, and still do. You've heard the expression "more than enough rope"? ROM gives you a rope-making machine and tells you to have at it. If you can program in C, then you have almost no limitations to what you can do. Your only major constraints are time and what amount of crap your players will put up with. If I learned nothing else from my tenure as a ROM implementor, I learned C.

:catstare: I have to say, I don't really consider "there is no in-game scripting, admins are expected to modify, recompile, and restart the entire server to change anything, and if you gently caress it up the entire server crashes" to be a feature.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

A Misandrist Duck posted:

I feel obligated to object to this post for a number of different reasons. The odds of a character randomly sending you a tell minutes after you created are pretty slim. The odds of them doing this to proposition you for some weird sex roleplay is even more slim as that sport of propositioning doesn't happen on the mud all that often. The odds that a Sith Lord, a type of character the staff tends to keep tabs on, doing that is slim to none.

Jesus you guys are defensive. Guess I just hit the motherfucking jackpot. Maybe it helped the odds that I created my character with a female name and one of the things the creepy jerk said was something about me being from some other sexmud because of my username.

RE: hellmoo FC nuking - those were the golden days of hellmoo, it was a great day. drat I miss the hellmoo of those times.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Pochoclo posted:

Jesus you guys are defensive. Guess I just hit the motherfucking jackpot. Maybe it helped the odds that I created my character with a female name and one of the things the creepy jerk said was something about me being from some other sexmud because of my username.

RE: hellmoo FC nuking - those were the golden days of hellmoo, it was a great day. drat I miss the hellmoo of those times.

It's not that we're defensive, it's that Sith Lords are generally application characters that are highly monitored and there's no who list/+who where anyone can see your name, it's completely hidden. Newbies spend their time in Banhvar Station, which nobody can access but other newbies, and even if you left it early you would still need to greet that Sith Lord for them to have their name and Sith Lords are typically turtled up in their clan base training their apprentices, not out and about propositioning newbies. They wouldn't even glance at you until you were level 100, because that's the level you become force sensitive, if you have it (and they can tell.) You need to know the character's account name or character name to "page them." To someone familiar with the game, it's highly, highly unlikely that this happened.

It is possible you did hit the weird creeper lottery but the planets really needed to be aligned on that, which is why I'm skeptical personally.

Big Bowie Bonanza fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Oct 9, 2012

Suzuran
Sep 14, 2012

ToxicFrog posted:

:catstare: I have to say, I don't really consider "there is no in-game scripting, admins are expected to modify, recompile, and restart the entire server to change anything, and if you gently caress it up the entire server crashes" to be a feature.

You didn't HAVE to do everything in C - There were several snippets that provided various types of script interpreters. I always wanted to write one that was a lisp interpreter, but I never got around to doing it. The mobprogs that came with the common OLC snippet was nearly everywhere. There was another snippet called "copyover" that would maintain FDs between reboots, so you could recompile and restart without losing anyone. We didn't run that one, IIRC it was really buggy at the time.

Our MUD did have a signal handler, so if the game crashed everyone was saved first.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
I want to say Legends of the Jedi looks interesting, but goddamn there is practically no information out on it. The only thing I've been able to really glean is that Force Sensitivity is randomly distributed at the top level, turning my lightsaber dreams to ash.

Lacking the promise of glowing laser penii, what does LOTJ offer gameplay wise? Hell, even knowing what the classes are would be nice.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

ToxicFrog posted:

On the other hand, you can do ANYTHING you can code in C, rather than being limited to in-game scripting. Want to make a completely different skill system? Done. Body parts instead of HP? Done.

Most decent MUDs would run two copies, or three -- the main port, a test port for code testing, and a build port for building/build testing. Once things were tested and verified, they'd be rolled out to the main MUD. All of the MUDs I played on had copyover/hotcopy, which would let the MUD restart without anyone losing connections or states.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

FordPRefectLL posted:

[no who list]

It is possible you did hit the weird creeper lottery but the planets really needed to be aligned on that, which is why I'm skeptical personally.

The bit about the no who list got me doubting.
What's the other star wars mud with players in it? Does your mud have blue in it? I remember a lot of blue.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Conskill posted:

I want to say Legends of the Jedi looks interesting, but goddamn there is practically no information out on it. The only thing I've been able to really glean is that Force Sensitivity is randomly distributed at the top level, turning my lightsaber dreams to ash.

Lacking the promise of glowing laser penii, what does LOTJ offer gameplay wise? Hell, even knowing what the classes are would be nice.

Off the top of my head,
combat = fighter specialist, period
doctor = can heal wounds, clone people (i think) and install cybernetic implants that boost stats
pilot = best piloting skills, master pilots can fly capital class ships with the most ship combat bonuses
engineer = makes poo poo, everything from circuits to blasters to grenades to star ships
slicer = electronics specialists, can also hack bank accounts and steal ships
espionage = spy specialists, can disguise themselves and impersonate people, and have some thuggery skills
diplomat = can wrest control of a planet from an opposing faction and lead that planet and gain various command access
bountyhunter = kills people for credits, probably the strongest combat class overall, next to a master level jedi
smuggler = poo poo, I totally forget what these guys do, lol
leadership = can grant combat bonuses to parties I think, and summon npc goons, jail people, etc.

The important thing to remember is that you'll master a handful of classes and still have a lot of levels in all the others, so just kinda play what sounds like it might be fun, it's also a role as much as it is a utility class.

You should join one of the two main factions and just try to soldier a bit, someone will help you along and get you trained up, teach you the ropes and get you started on something, if you're around enough, you'll eventually get drawn into the roleplay drama.

Loving Life Partner fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Oct 10, 2012

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

tarepanda posted:

On the other hand, you can do ANYTHING you can code in C, rather than being limited to in-game scripting. Want to make a completely different skill system? Done. Body parts instead of HP? Done.

Except that you can do all of this just as easily with a scripting language?
I've personally implemented both a new skill system and body parts using MOO.

Now granted, my ONLY experience with any of this is via hellcore, which is a modified lambdacore, so I can't technically speak for any other codebase, but I'd assume it's largely the same. Only the very basic game functionality, the builtins, are hardcoded, everything else is done with the MOO scripting language. Unless you want to fiddle with how the game performs math operations or interacts with the server, you're doing your work in the scripting language and not the hard code. In fact, all of this is even easier this way because you can make the changes live and test them within seconds of writing them, rather than having to bring the game down, recompile it, bring it back up, realize you hosed up a line or two, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Except that you can do all of this just as easily with a scripting language?
I've personally implemented both a new skill system and body parts using MOO.

Now granted, my ONLY experience with any of this is via hellcore, which is a modified lambdacore, so I can't technically speak for any other codebase, but I'd assume it's largely the same. Only the very basic game functionality, the builtins, are hardcoded, everything else is done with the MOO scripting language. Unless you want to fiddle with how the game performs math operations or interacts with the server, you're doing your work in the scripting language and not the hard code. In fact, all of this is even easier this way because you can make the changes live and test them within seconds of writing them, rather than having to bring the game down, recompile it, bring it back up, realize you hosed up a line or two, etc.

On the other hand, no real documentation in the code, and lack of a proper IDE. And no proper version control.
Oh, and when you get what makes a MOO that MOO, the "database", it's an incomprehensible jumble of commands, not a neat collection of code in different folders, all properly commented.

Sure, MOO is nice if you want people who don't really know how to code contributing into your project, extending objects, implementing verbs and poo poo inside the moo itself (this is very important, note I'm not downplaying the importance of having builders and programmers that don't touch the base code), but from a programmer's viewpoint it is hell.

In essence, MOO is basically meant for single projects whose code is meant to never ever get reused into something else. I mean, you guys are reusing the hellcore because you're used to MOO but it's a really terrible way of reusing poo poo if you've actually done serious stuff in the industry.

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 10, 2012

• Locked thread