Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Sounds very similar to when Melbourne city council was thinking of getting rid of motorbike footpath parking a few years back. Everyone who parked in the city rode in extra early and took a single car space each. Plan was scrapped that day.

Hahaha, love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

re: Parking - the French Association of Angry Motorcyclists tried a no-filtering protest to show what would happen if they weren't allowed to do it. Brought Paris and other participating towns to a standstill. Not sure what the result was though.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

This would vary by city, I think, but in Seattle as many bikes can share a metered spot as can fit. At least for actual coin-op old-school parking meters, which we have very few of anymore.

Seattle now is mostly ticket-based, so you go up to the pay station for that block, put in the amount of time you want/money you want to get rid of, and print off a sticker that you must put on your headlight. In these areas (everywhere), two motorcycles must both pay. Which means me and a friend on our scooters pay twice what some rear end in a top hat in a Suburban has to pay.

I guess it's a difference between paying for the space and paying to park a vehicle.

I see motorcycles parked off Alaskan without stickers all the time but never notice any with tickets. I'm too afraid to try it with my luck.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Out riding yesterday and was told by a local shopowner that I was almost ticketed for facing the bike "outward" toward the road and having two bikes parked in the same spot. Weirdness.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Pope Mobile posted:

I see motorcycles parked off Alaskan without stickers all the time but never notice any with tickets. I'm too afraid to try it with my luck.

Under the viaduct or down the street? Before they started all the viaduct/tunnel construction, I parked my bike (and truck at times) on Alaskan just south of the ferry terminal - there was almost always a few open, no-fee spots at the curb down there but I haven't been to the neighborhood in a while.

I've had good luck just tucking it next to parking lots or out of the way on the sidewalk outside of downtown, in like Ballard, Fremont, or Sodo when parking is tight. No tickets in Seattle - did get a parking ticket for parking like that halfway into an alley in Everett though.

Related to the general discussion: we parked three in a pay spot in Santa Rosa, CA, didn't pay, and only one got a ticket. I am sure it varies by location though.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Oct 10, 2012

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'm surprised there's no dedicated motorcycle bays, they're everywhere in London and free to use everywhere but Westminster but conversely you can park for free in their secure underground car parks. It's surely in every right-minded city's best interests to promote motorbikes over cars?

On the streets of Seattle in the denser areas there are a few dedicated motorcycle spots, but only a few. They require the same payment as parking anywhere else on the street so nobody really uses them, since we could just park closer to our destination.

Most paid parking lots/garages offer un-advertised discounts to bikes, though, which is nice but only tends to be useful for all-day parking. And they almost never have dedicated motorcycle parking and just have you park in open areas that are not car spots.

We also cannot park on the sidewalk.

Seattle does absolutely nothing to encourage motorcycling. With as bad as our traffic is, and as broke as our city is, you'd think they'd do whatever they could to encourage riding - it must be cheaper to relax parking rules for bikes than it is to try and build bigger roads.

Pope Mobile posted:

Under the viaduct? There's a few areas down there that are sort of no-man's lands, that I think aren't clearly defined as street/lot/parking/whatever that you can get away with parking on. There's a few around.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
In Toronto bikes can park free on the street at pay-and-display areas, so most places you'll see groups of bikes all together for warmth and safety. Scooters can park on the sidewalk if they don't block pedestrian traffic.

No discounts at parking garages as far as I've experienced, since I stopped using them once I found out about the street parking.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I saw a dude with eye level ape hangers and one of those I'm-a-bad-rear end whip hanging off them. The funny part was that it was on the highway and the 4' long whip was smacking the guy every which way.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

thylacine posted:

I saw a dude with eye level ape hangers and one of those I'm-a-bad-rear end whip hanging off them. The funny part was that it was on the highway and the 4' long whip was smacking the guy every which way.

Hahaha, bugs in the teeth, red marks on the face.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Most paid parking lots/garages offer un-advertised discounts to bikes, though, which is nice but only tends to be useful for all-day parking.

Yo dog I'd hate to tell you why they do this so I'll just say go watch Ferris Bueller's day off and then check your mileage

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Well, that's what steering locks are for.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Snowdens Secret posted:

Yo dog I'd hate to tell you why they do this so I'll just say go watch Ferris Bueller's day off and then check your mileage

Ha thats funny. It's true though, the parking garage near my work lets me park next to the firefighting equipment cage so it's less likely for someone to crash into my bike, and after 930 I just wave to the parking attendant and weave around the barrier without paying. You just gotta ask the manager about what their policy is. I have a night job so it's perfect.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Was stuck behind two HDs leaving the ferry the other day: ridiculously loud pipes; AC/DC blairing from the speakers; constantly reving the engine at stops; burning oil. I wanted to pull up and give them my condolensces on their ED and/or penis size.

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Under the viaduct? There's a few areas down there that are sort of no-man's lands, that I think aren't clearly defined as street/lot/parking/whatever that you can get away with parking on. There's a few around.

Yeah, under it, across from the ferry terminal and a bit north (i.e. where yocan still park). I'll see bikes clustered together.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Pope Mobile posted:

Was stuck behind two HDs leaving the ferry the other day: ridiculously loud pipes; AC/DC blairing from the speakers; constantly reving the engine at stops; burning oil. I wanted to pull up and give them my condolensces on their ED and/or penis size.
Just give them a friendly wave when you pass them at the next gas station.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Collateral Damage posted:

Just give them a friendly wave when you pass them at the next gas station.

The ones with speakers have 6gal tanks, it might be a while.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

clutchpuck posted:

A while? That could last them all season!

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor

Snowdens Secret posted:

A while? That could last them all season!

Not the way they rev those engines.

Edit: Nevermind

Wulframn fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 11, 2012

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

clutchpuck posted:

How big are their oil tanks? :v:

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

_Dav posted:

In Dublin they subscribe to the 'if a double-wide pram can still get past, you're ok to park here' theory.
There was a brief stint of clamping bikes in dublin but I think they got sick of losing their clamps due to people ringing a mate with a van to come get them.
http://www.broadsheet.ie/2012/03/22/meanwhile-at-the-ifsc/

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Wulframn posted:

We're a car country....

I've also started to notice that this is a big reason why I have so many problems with cagers. They seem to think motorcycles are solely out having a good time whereas they're out there commuting to work or getting to their kid's ball game.

This. So much this. It's starting to get cold here, and I keep hearing "when are you putting the bike away?" I only have one vehicle. I don't get to put it away. I have to ride it to get to work. It doesn't snow. It doesn't rain. It just gets cold. I ride in the cold. 350 days of sunshine? 350 days on the bike.

Some of these guys say "when are you going to get smart about the weather?" I have to reply "when are you going to get smart and not drive something making 14mpg an hour each way to work?" "Well, I only own a truck, what else would I take?" "Exactly."

They don't get it. Motorcycles are toys, not primary transportation.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
When people ask me why I don't just get a car instead of riding in lovely weather I just point out that I got to work in 15 minutes, where as they spent 45 minutes staring at someone's bumper.

Also that I spent that extra 30 minutes in bed.

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor

ReelBigLizard posted:

When people ask me why I don't just get a car instead of riding in lovely weather I just point out that I got to work in 15 minutes, where as they spent 45 minutes staring at someone's bumper.

Also that I spent that extra 30 minutes in bed.

With their wife. :colbert: If you forgot that little barb then you are doing the snarky thing wrong.

The next time I have someone point out that I should get a car I'm going to point out that they should go lie down and die tell them this ^^^. I've tried politely explaining that I only had money for a bike, etc. I get people telling me "You should get a car" and every known variation of "But bikes are dangerous!" and have finally learned that part of why many bikers are assholes is because we're loving tired of hearing about why bikes are dangerous and why we should have a car instead.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Wulframn posted:

I've tried politely explaining that I only had money for a bike, etc.

I don't know where you live, exactly, but it should be pointed out that, in the US at least, used cars are so plentiful and cheap that by the time you buy a running motorcycle + riding gear, you could have bought one or two used beater Honda Civics or something. So "can afford a bike but not a car" is not really a valid statement, at least in the US where you can find running cars on craigslist for $500 all day long. I've already spent more than the cost of a cheap beater car just on MSF course + endorsement fees, helmet, gloves, and jacket, and I haven't even bought my first bike yet.

I do plan on largely giving over the use of my car to my fiancee once I get a bike and just ride that everyday once I do get one, though, since riding a bike is way more fun than sitting in a FWD econobox in traffic.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Now that it's gotten cold(er), the HD's are gone from CT. Some sportbikes still.

Generally speaking, I have a fair amount of patience for questions from cagers. I figure it's like being an ambassador. What I get annoyed at is the same questions or comments over and over from co-workers who have seen me ride to work in the cold, in the rain, etc. for five years. They know I ride. Why, oh loving why, do some still feel the need to make "vroom" noises or say "it's a great day for a ride" or "you ride in the rain?" after seeing it for five loving years. If you want to make conversation, just say, "hello". Not "vroom".

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

HotCanadianChick posted:

I don't know where you live, exactly, but it should be pointed out that, in the US at least, used cars are so plentiful and cheap that by the time you buy a running motorcycle + riding gear, you could have bought one or two used beater Honda Civics or something. So "can afford a bike but not a car" is not really a valid statement, at least in the US where you can find running cars on craigslist for $500 all day long. I've already spent more than the cost of a cheap beater car just on MSF course + endorsement fees, helmet, gloves, and jacket, and I haven't even bought my first bike yet.

I do plan on largely giving over the use of my car to my fiancee once I get a bike and just ride that everyday once I do get one, though, since riding a bike is way more fun than sitting in a FWD econobox in traffic.

500 bucks for a headache that needs 2000 worth of repairs. And if not that 500 bucks plus 50 in just liability insurance a month, plus 50 a week to fill up the tank, plus high registration fees, plus way more oil per change and other fluids plus...

In the long run is it cheaper to own a bike? No. But do you get a better bike for your money than you do car? Yes, emphatic yes.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

HotCanadianChick posted:

in the US where you can find running cars on craigslist for $500 all day long.

I agree with your broader statement but I'm not sure you've looked at Craigslist for cheap cars in the last 3 years. "Running car" is now averaging around $1200-$1500 in a lot of areas. There's an AI discussion thread for it titled something like "Where did all the cheap cars go?"

e: nevermind, guess it went to Archives.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

Splizwarf posted:

I agree with your broader statement but I'm not sure you've looked at Craigslist for cheap cars in the last 3 years. "Running car" is now averaging around $1200-$1500 in a lot of areas. There's an AI discussion thread for it titled something like "Where did all the cheap cars go?"

At least in the socal area this guy is right. Nothing that runs under $1200 (I've been looking for clean rwd Volvos for the fiance).

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Splizwarf posted:

I blame cash for clunkers. Been looking around foor an old Ranger to 5.0ify, myself.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Also, here, I would have to make that clunker pass emissions tests and pay 50 bucks a month for an extra parking space. With the bike, the wife and I share a parking spot, and there are no emissions tests.

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor

Errant Gin Monks posted:

500 bucks for a headache that needs 2000 worth of repairs. And if not that 500 bucks plus 50 in just liability insurance a month, plus 50 a week to fill up the tank, plus high registration fees, plus way more oil per change and other fluids plus...

In the long run is it cheaper to own a bike? No. But do you get a better bike for your money than you do car? Yes, emphatic yes.

Something like this

I've had this conversation before on a few boards and with a couple of different people.

I had no transportation. I was riding a bicycle all over town and it was getting old. I looked around for almost a year and finally found what appeared to be a decent car that was 2500. It was more than I wanted to spend, but anything less than that in this area either did not run or was going to prove an eternal headache trying to get it back to "dependable" status.

I took that car to a mechanic and had them check it forward and backward. Then I bought it. I had it about 3 months - it ran three times. Once to the mechanic, once back to the seller's, then to my apartment. It never ran again. I tore that loving thing apart and spent almost another thousand trying to get it to run. For the life of me I can't figure out why it never would run again. Finally sold it off.

I needed transportation badly. It was around this time I first considered a bike. As soon as I started looking I started finding what I wanted - cheap bikes that not only ran, but were dependable. I settled on a Honda Rebel 250 that cost me 1100. With tax, tag, and title, all of my safety gear, a full tune-up including new tires, a new chain, a new battery, new spark plugs, etc. etc., and insurance I spent about 2100. That bike has never let me down and starts on the first try every time rain or shine, hot or cold. I have never had a problem with that bike and I do not expect to for the immediate future. That is what I need.

People can piss and moan all they want about the immediate cost, the lifetime cost, or whatever else they want. The fact is that I could not purchase a running car in this area for 1100 and I most certainly could not have a dependable car, plus insurance for 2100.

My bike was cheaper than a car.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
There are so many variables in the which-is-cheaper equation, it's impossible to compare any two situations, apples to apples.

In my own case, my truck costs a little less to insure than the bike. I also have a parking space that isn't covered and I will not subject my bike to regularly being parked in the rain, in marine air, so I rent a garage for it and leave the truck outside. Fuel economy isn't much of a contrast either - mid-20s for the truck, mid-30s for the bike. Oil changes - $60 for the bike every 3k mi, $25 for the truck every 8k. Tires every 13k on the bike at $360, truck tires same price every 50k.

All-in it's pretty clearly cheaper for me to drive my trusty ol' truck around, but that wouldn't be very good for the soul. I could get a cheaper bike (well I have one) but it's not as nice to ride as the expensive one, and I ride for enjoyment, not to get the best bang-for-the-buck on getting around.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
What kind of platinum infused oil do you use on your bike? Jesus.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The cheap Castrol synthetic stuff. I live in a civilized area, so my prices on stuff reflects that.

I don't use Erik's recommended brand because it's MORE expensive and it's a pain in the rear end to get - but 3 quarts of Castrol synthetic is $30 at $10/ea, a quart of H-D Forumula+ is $11ish, an oil filter is $13, and tax on that is $6. This is local Autozone prices, excepting the Harley mineral oil.

The truck gets whatever gallon of drum sludge is on sale at $15 and a Fram at $7, so we're not really talking apples-apples on this, either.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 16, 2012

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Errant Gin Monks posted:

What kind of platinum infused oil do you use on your bike? Jesus.

My bike takes 5 liters a change plus a $10 Kawi filter. Runs me about $50.

$60+ would easily be the total if I bought synthetic.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
Sub $5k cars almost always need $1k minimum right off the bat. In the past two years, I've probably spent $500 maintaining my bike. $400 of that in tires. In the past 2 years, I've spent $1500 on stupid fiddly bullshit on my Volvo. Oh, the engine is going to take a poo poo any time now. Used engines go for $1700 minimum, not including labor obviously. The transmission is on it's way out too. Every bushing, spring, mount, and suspension piece needs replaced. I work from my car and I'm absolutely terrified the turbo is going to puke a turbine into the intake one day. For me, no car means no work.

gently caress cars. If I lived somewhere that was more suitable for year round riding, I'd never buy a car again. I've been driving for 5 years now, and I've ran 3 cars into the ground. The two cars I have now need thousands of dollars to be considered remotely safe or reliable. My bike needs a front brake lever due to some dipshit knocking it over. $20.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I've had my $2000 Volvo for almost a decade now and it runs great :confused: of course I did do a full engine swap and completely redid the suspension, but really that only makes it a $5000 car over eight years' ownership, all things included.

I ran the numbers and realistically if your car gets 20-25 and your bike gets 40-50 they'll cost about the same to maintain if you actually have a solid car and bike to begin with. Valve adjustments on bikes are frequent, chains go out in two or three years of commuting as much as I do, and tires and gear meant for 365 commuting costs a decent amount. Not including the fact that they're high strung engines and very few bikes see triple digit mileage. That's not factoring in that you're on a motorcycle, though, which is awesome.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS

Xovaan posted:

I've had my $2000 Volvo for almost a decade now and it runs great :confused: of course I did do a full engine swap and completely redid the suspension, but really that only makes it a $5000 car over eight years' ownership, all things included.

This is in regards to my 850 R, which does have a higher repair cost than most. My 240 still needs about $1500 in parts before it's sorted out. It may have a bunch of poo poo just waiting to happen.

Speaking of bullshit with cars, my 850 just died on me while I was driving tonight. I started it right back up, and it seemed to be fine until I turned on the headlights or turn signals. The gauges immediately went to 0, the headlights started pulsing, and the dash lights started flickering. This was met with a buzzing noise coming from my dash. Turning on the brights killed it. 20 minutes later, it acted fine again.

:smith:

Just to keep this slightly related, my previously mentioned cousin with CBR 600 has sold it, after eating poo poo a total of 3 times in 3 months. He plans on buying a 929 over the winter. I can't say I'll miss him. Every now and then I saw him squiddin around on the 600 with some mouth breather on a stretched something or other.

That reminds me, basic riding equipment here in central Ohio seems to consist of an Iron Pony t-shirt and a tapout drawstring back pack. Is that common?

astrollinthepork fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Oct 16, 2012

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
i hate electrical bullshit :(

So I don't get much grief from cagers about riding, but I do get the "BUT IT'S SO DANGEROUS" thing once in a while. I just smile and say something lame about how I usually wear gear and ride safely.

What's a good response to that? My mindset is that it's a calculated risk that's worth it to me but I don't have a way to cleverly or succinctly put that

BTW Shoulder surgery SUCKS. I had surgery about 2 weeks ago and it will be a while until I can start riding again. At least another month.

aventari fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Oct 16, 2012

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

aventari posted:

i hate electrical bullshit :(

So I don't get much grief from cagers about riding, but I do get the "BUT IT'S SO DANGEROUS" thing once in a while. I just smile and say something lame about how I usually wear gear and ride safely.

What's a good response to that? My mindset is that it's a calculated risk that's worth it to me but I don't have a way to cleverly or succinctly put that

BTW Shoulder surgery SUCKS. I had surgery about 2 weeks ago and it will be a while until I can start riding again. At least another month.

"We're all going to die one day - I'm more worried about the journey than the destination and a bike makes that journey fun."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

astrollinthepork posted:

This is in regards to my 850 R, which does have a higher repair cost than most. My 240 still needs about $1500 in parts before it's sorted out. It may have a bunch of poo poo just waiting to happen.

That reminds me, basic riding equipment here in central Ohio seems to consist of an Iron Pony t-shirt and a tapout drawstring back pack. Is that common?

Rule #1 of Volvo ownership: Never own an 850R. Unless it's a T5R, of course. :thumbsup:

Considering the only reason Ohio exists is to exploit the electoral college, I'd say it makes sense that Tapout and Iron Pony makes up the wardrobe of the most average constituency in existence.

Here in NorCal it's about the same, though. CBR600 and slipon vans and a leather vest with your club's logo on it. Because you're, like, hard, man.

• Locked thread