Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Zombywuf posted:

C# support for unicode is excellent. And later versions of Perl5. plpgsql is pretty good for it as well.

(very) recent perl 5 handles many corner cases correctly. c# has pretty much all of the usual gochas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

MononcQc posted:

tbh I haven't read any of the projects' code and can't know if one or the other has that feel of "you can do it if you hammer in the screw hard enough!" where it's possible, but far from nice to implement things with or without call/cc.

I mean, I could throw in a Javascript 3D video game implementation and say "see, your C++ performances don't matter, it's doable in Javascript", which doesn't mean it's desirable.

That it's possible to do doesn't tell me that it's a good thing either way.

it's basically an implementation of minikanren from william byrd's phd thesis which was made into a book called the reasoned schemer

i know people who have used core.logic to solve real life problems relating to software development so i guess it's good enough for that

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Hard NOP Life posted:

What the gently caress did you just say

java is racist

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Otto Skorzeny posted:

(very) recent perl 5 handles many corner cases correctly. c# has pretty much all of the usual gochas

http://98.245.80.27/tcpc/OSCON2011/gbu.pdf

see also

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7131023/what-are-the-key-decisions-to-get-right-when-designing-a-fully-unicode-aware-lan

edit: meant this one http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6162484/why-does-modern-perl-avoid-utf-8-by-default/6163129#6163129

tef fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 10, 2012

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

trex eaterofcadrs posted:

it's basically an implementation of minikanren from william byrd's phd thesis which was made into a book called the reasoned schemer

that was an okay book. the series is alright.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
this post reserved for jelly-stains

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

homercles posted:

incredibly smart people solving arbitrarily hard problems in undoubtedly clever ways that no-one cares about

this is everything in computers ever

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Hard NOP Life posted:

What the gently caress did you just say
If u didn't understand that post ur getting Unicode wrong :toot: it's ok no one really cares about Linear B except one guy on the Unicode committee and he's a linguistics prof so you don't need to worry about this ever being an issue irl. Just remember 1 16-bit char = 1 character and maybe think about combining characters if ur feeling saucy

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Nomnom Cookie posted:

If u didn't understand that post ur getting Unicode wrong :toot: it's ok no one really cares about Linear B except one guy on the Unicode committee and he's a linguistics prof so you don't need to worry about this ever being an issue irl. Just remember 1 16-bit char = 1 character and maybe think about combining characters if ur feeling saucy

Discrimination against dead languages is wrong :colbert:

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Sweeper posted:

this is everything in computers ever

computers are now 90% about solving computer problems and 10% about solving real world problems

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
actually most of my time is spent solving real world problems, but in really dumb ways

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

MononcQc posted:

that was an okay book. the series is alright.

the concept of minikanren is p cool tho

logic programming in lisp is more fun than prolog imo

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

homercles posted:

incredibly smart people solving arbitrarily hard problems in undoubtedly clever ways that no-one cares about

if you're sitting there programming away and you hit on this really clever solution and you implement it and it's just so cool and you're really happy about it, i want you to remember my stern visage and then go back and comment out all that clever poo poo and rewrite it super-plain so a retard can read and understand it.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
cool thread for nerd idiots

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Kirk posted:

cool thread for nerd idiots

nice post for a fuckface rear end in a top hat shithead!!!

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

Shaggar posted:

Once ur a web "dev" you're tainted forever.

right now im the only one working on this project so i have to do everything

the java parts are so nice and easy and fun but everything else is a gigantic pain in the rear end

right now im fighting with sql server 2005 and really wishing we were on 08 or 12 so i could use table valued parameters to stored procedures

the whole thing is a clusterfuck because the app we're replacing was a mess of horrible architecture that was hard or impossible to modify so our customer wants "everything in the database so it'll be easy to make changes!" :suicide:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
put as much business logic in the db/procs as u can cause it is ezier to manage and the db is always going to be faster than ur code at doing relational stuff.

re: table parameters: yeah it would be nice to have those, but in the meantime just write the proc to do single rows and then wrap the group of proc calls in a transaction. if ur using mybatis-spring this is super ez.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

Shaggar posted:

the db is always going to be faster than ur code at doing relational stuff.

*does not apply to mysql

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
he said the database, not mysql

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx
tef you did a presenatation not long ago but i dont think you ever posted the vid. i keep googling for it on the double ewe double ewe everyday but i cant find it. i wanna watch the vid. where is it!

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

barbarianbob posted:

tef you did a presenatation not long ago but i dont think you ever posted the vid. i keep googling for it on the double ewe double ewe everyday but i cant find it. i wanna watch the vid. where is it!

http://vimeo.com/45474360

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx
i already watched that one. isnt there a GNUer one?? i need more tef in my life

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

barbarianbob posted:

i need more tef in my life

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

we have a new tef thread. please move all tef discussion over there please

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

barbarianbob posted:

i already watched that one. isnt there a GNUer one?? i need more tef in my life

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3511214

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx

ah, thanks you, kind friend

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

rotor posted:

if you're sitting there programming away and you hit on this really clever solution and you implement it and it's just so cool and you're really happy about it, i want you to remember my stern visage and then go back and comment out all that clever poo poo and rewrite it super-plain so a retard can read and understand it.

the little difference between

"I read your code and you are a genius" and "I tried to read your code and well, you must be a genius"

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

put as much business logic in the db/procs as u can cause it is ezier to manage and the db is always going to be faster than ur code at doing relational stuff.

holy poo poo shaggar i just lost a few iq points from the stroke you gave me

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Shaggar posted:

put as much business logic in the db/procs as u can

never write a code again

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i mean if you use some terrible poo poo like mysql then yeah maybe ur "database" is poo poo but ultra-lmao if you're doing set based poo poo in code instead of the db where it belongs.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
bbbbbb b b bb buuuttt i like to use my toy languages to do it 10000x slower.... :qq::qq::qq:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lmao

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i mean u can use a rules engine for events and stuff i guess.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Zombywuf posted:

C# support for unicode is excellent.

Marshaling says otherwise, Microsoft really hosed that up.

Java is very good up to Unicode 5, then Sun went retardo and refused to fix their JVM whilst IBM did things properly. No idea what the state is today with Oracle.

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

bbbbbb b b bb buuuttt i like to use my toy languages to do it 10000x slower.... :qq::qq::qq:

goddamnit shaggar your business rules are probably prepubescent if they can fit in a db call

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

barbarianbob posted:

yep, still waiting on that one to be uploaded :smith:

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

rotor posted:

Some greybeard said code is 2x as hard to debug as to write so if you write as clever as you can you're not smart enough to debug it. I did that once. It was pitiful. "Og poke loop counter with stick, is code fix? No. Og sad."

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

tef posted:

yep, still waiting on that one to be uploaded :smith:

godammit

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>
since i get to actually write software at work i almost want to gently caress around with small problems and esoteric programming languages at home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>
what's the best way to learn lisp