Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

We have other data points (tablets in particular) that imply that the operating system does impact battery life significantly.
That's why I said "less" instead of "not at all." :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Are there any extra charges for upgrading a dumbphone line to a smartphone line before the contract is up?

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
My iPhone 5 with its whopping 1440mAh battery loses about 2% between 12AM - 7 AM so 14% isn't too bad.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Despair posted:

Are there any extra charges for upgrading a dumbphone line to a smartphone line before the contract is up?
Nothing special other than the fact that a smartphone requires a minimum $30 data plan on existing Nationwide plans or if you're on a Share Everything the line charge goes from $30 to $40. Also all 2-year contract priced phones have the $30 upgrade fee as part of the subsidizing contact process.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Watch Out Smarmy posted:

Nothing special other than the fact that a smartphone requires a minimum $30 data plan on existing Nationwide plans or if you're on a Share Everything the line charge goes from $30 to $40. Also all 2-year contract priced phones have the $30 upgrade fee as part of the subsidizing contact process.

Everyone else in the family had unlimited data still, so she'd just hip on the two gig plan for her line. She'd be able to get the normal two year contract price for a phone too then?

Basically, if she wants to upgrade there's no reason to wait?

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down

Mr. Despair posted:

A few years ago when I was on contract with a dumbphone, I had to wait until my upgrade date to get a smart phone at the subsidized price. Who knows what they do now.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

right arm posted:

I dunno, the iPhone 5 manages to lose less than 14% battery in a day of not being used.

Actually the iPhone 5 demo I have that sits on my desk all day usually asleep is usually dead after a day off charge, and its hooked into the same exchange accounts, and on wifi in a 3G area.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:
Not sure if this was covered before, but does anyone know of the likelihood of the Galaxy Note II dropping on big red? I've got a Maxx but would have 0 issue with dropping ~$700 cash in hand for that delicious tablet that happens to make calls. I've seen that its been announced and has caused a puddle under my chin from salivating. Its not a deal breaker or anything, although I would be very sad. Which would cause me to to settle for the HD Maxx.

I could totally deal with Samsung again for 5.5" of deliciousness. That phone is sadly better than my Shuttle SN95G5v3. Bwhahaha.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Indications are that the Note 2 will make it to Verizon. No one is quite sure when that will happen though.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
The note 2 is coming to ATT, Verizon, Tmobile,Sprint, and US Cellular

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:
Ive seen confirmation on 3/4 of the big guys, really just need to know if I should spring for the ultrabook that I have my eye on first, or hold out for the Note II. I know the official announcement is the 24th. I'm merely impatient.

Can I pick you nerds' brains, impressions? Think the HD Maxx will be better?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

cuedotnet posted:

Ive seen confirmation on 3/4 of the big guys

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19736_7-57515568-251/quad-core-samsung-galaxy-note-2-launches-with-5-carriers/

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

So currently I'm on a grandfathered FamilyShare plan (not the account owner), and recently upgraded to the iPhone 5 (and was able to keep my unlimited data - hurray!). My question now is though: is there any way to potentially now separate my line off from the FamilyShare plan and keep my unlimited data?

After going through the process of being able to keep it, I'd rather now have to turn right around and get a Share Everything plan.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

SourKraut posted:

So currently I'm on a grandfathered FamilyShare plan (not the account owner), and recently upgraded to the iPhone 5 (and was able to keep my unlimited data - hurray!). My question now is though: is there any way to potentially now separate my line off from the FamilyShare plan and keep my unlimited data?

After going through the process of being able to keep it, I'd rather now have to turn right around and get a Share Everything plan.

How were you able to keep it? Paying full price for the 5? I was desperate to keep unlimited but I couldn't find any way besides paying full price so I'm gonna lose it when the phone comes in :(.

For VZW people, how exactly does the new share plan stuff work? The guy at our Verizon store said we'd have to switch to that if I want more than 2gb of data a month (I thought there was a single-person 4gb plan?), but if I go for the 6gb will it be a 6gb for all three smartphone equipped members of our family (so 2gb each, so to speak)? I'd like to have my own data usage since my amount varies from 1gb to 11gb now and I can deal with a 4gb or 6gb cap, but if it's shared I have no way of keeping my brother from using 5 gb and my use sending us way over.

E: The Verizon guy didn't explain this well, and said that my data cap would be 6gb, not the whole family. Looking into it showed it was shared, and I would've skipped getting it there if he'd explained that at purchase.

If it's how I think it is, is cancelling an iPhone order easy? I'm tempted to buy one at retail so I'm not limited in data use by other people, but I already paid for my 5 and the arrival date is the 26th. It's not ideal, but realistically there's no way a shared plan is going to work in my family, even if I can keep my own usage down.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

The Gasmask posted:

I thought there was a single-person 4gb plan?
They did a "double data" promo last Christmas and again this year in May/June. If you started a new data plan with an LTE phone during that timeframe you got 4GB for the price of 2GB. Otherwise you are S.O.L.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

kitten smoothie posted:

They did a "double data" promo last Christmas and again this year in May/June. If you started a new data plan with an LTE phone during that timeframe you got 4GB for the price of 2GB. Otherwise you are S.O.L.

Ah, I must've checked during one of those times and not seen it was a promo. For whatever reason I thought after unlimited was phased out there was a 2gb and a 4gb plan.

I'm pretty confused by all this, I've had unlimited for so long seeing how bad the plans have gotten is a shock. I just want an individual 4gb plan for myself :(.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
First, the easy one: if the phone hasn't shipped yet, it should be pretty easy to cancel your order with a phone call.

The way people kept unlimited and got a phone was either:

a) pay retail price.
b) use another line's upgrade to buy a subsidized iPhone, activate the iPhone on that line (which wipes out unlimited data on that line), then swap the phone to the unlimited line.

Your explanation of what you did is kind of unclear. Did you already switch your family from their Family Share plan to the new Share Everything plan?

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

First, the easy one: if the phone hasn't shipped yet, it should be pretty easy to cancel your order with a phone call.

a) pay retail price.
b) use another line's upgrade to buy a subsidized iPhone, activate the iPhone on that line (which wipes out unlimited data on that line), then swap the phone to the unlimited line.

Your explanation of what you did is kind of unclear. Did you already switch your family from their Family Share plan to the new Share Everything plan?

Awesome- I had no idea it was possible like that! Since we have two upgrades at the same time (one of them never had unlimited to begin with), I can switch the order over to that line, then when we get it have it switched to my line.
Now, that line is a dumb phone line, no data plan. Will that matter (besides some higher prices until we get it sorted)?

No, we didn't switch plans yet. The guy at the store said we'd have to once the phone comes in. Just found out my brother is refusing to switch from his plan anyway, so it'll be a hell of a lot easier to leave the plans as they are.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

The Gasmask posted:

Awesome- I had no idea it was possible like that! Since we have two upgrades at the same time (one of them never had unlimited to begin with), I can switch the order over to that line, then when we get it have it switched to my line.
I have no idea if you can switch after ordering, but good luck. At worst, you could return it and purchase another one.

quote:

Now, that line is a dumb phone line, no data plan. Will that matter (besides some higher prices until we get it sorted)?
Dumbphone won't matter. I had a very similar situation, and here's what I did:

1) Use the dumbphone line's upgrade to purchase an iPhone for $199.
2) Activate the iPhone on the dumbphone's line. It added a 2GB-$30/mo data plan to that line.
3) Once the iPhone is activated (for me, it took a minute or two), have them re-activate the dumb phone on its original line. The data plan goes away. It never even showed up on my bill.
4) Have them do an "ESN swap", and activate the iPhone on your unlimited data line. Note this step REQUIRES a new (second) nano SIM card -- if they don't have one in the store, you'll have to wait until you can get one.

quote:

No, we didn't switch plans yet. The guy at the store said we'd have to once the phone comes in.
He's wrong, or he lied. Since you're an existing customer, you don't have to switch to a Share Everything plan -- but if you use the upgrade on an unlimited data line and buy a subsidized phone, you have to switch to a data tier. e.g. 2GB/mo for $30 or (I think) 5GB/mo for $50. Either tier option charges $10/GB for overages.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I have no idea if you can switch after ordering, but good luck. At worst, you could return it and purchase another one.

Dumbphone won't matter. I had a very similar situation, and here's what I did:

1) Use the dumbphone line's upgrade to purchase an iPhone for $199.
2) Activate the iPhone on the dumbphone's line. It added a 2GB-$30/mo data plan to that line.
3) Once the iPhone is activated (for me, it took a minute or two), have them re-activate the dumb phone on its original line. The data plan goes away. It never even showed up on my bill.
4) Have them do an "ESN swap", and activate the iPhone on your unlimited data line. Note this step REQUIRES a new (second) nano SIM card -- if they don't have one in the store, you'll have to wait until you can get one.

He's wrong, or he lied. Since you're an existing customer, you don't have to switch to a Share Everything plan -- but if you use the upgrade on an unlimited data line and buy a subsidized phone, you have to switch to a data tier. e.g. 2GB/mo for $30 or (I think) 5GB/mo for $50. Either tier option charges $10/GB for overages.

Thank you so much for this explanation. I just went to the store and asked about doing this, he said I'd have to wait until the phone comes in then I can cancel it, and either they'll send it back and get another OR they'll order a new SIM card and we'll have to wait before it can be activated on the non-unlimited line. He wasn't sure which could be done.

In terms of the plans he gave me some conflicting information today, saying that we could keep our old plans, but the only option was a 2gb or moving to family share. Nothing about a possible 5gb plan even though I asked if there was anything larger than 2gb for the old plans.

I'm a little confused how you were able to get rid of the data plan on the dumbphone line (if I understand what you said correctly); I asked about it and he said we'd be locked into a 2 year contract on that line. I'll probably be giving my mom the iPhone 4 so we'll be sticking with the 2gb one, but she's on the fence about getting a smartphone.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

The Gasmask posted:

Thank you so much for this explanation. I just went to the store and asked about doing this, he said I'd have to wait until the phone comes in then I can cancel it, and either they'll send it back and get another OR they'll order a new SIM card and we'll have to wait before it can be activated on the non-unlimited line. He wasn't sure which could be done.

In terms of the plans he gave me some conflicting information today, saying that we could keep our old plans, but the only option was a 2gb or moving to family share. Nothing about a possible 5gb plan even though I asked if there was anything larger than 2gb for the old plans.

I'm a little confused how you were able to get rid of the data plan on the dumbphone line (if I understand what you said correctly); I asked about it and he said we'd be locked into a 2 year contract on that line. I'll probably be giving my mom the iPhone 4 so we'll be sticking with the 2gb one, but she's on the fence about getting a smartphone.

That smells a lot like reseller or idiot. Ask for a new rep. Somethings not right

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

EbolaIvory posted:

That smells a lot like reseller or idiot. Ask for a new rep. Somethings not right

Huh, I sort of figured something was off considering how different the info I'm getting here is. Unfortunately the Verizon (official, not reseller) store only has 2 reps and they were both saying the same things. I guess I'll see if the other nearby VZW store can take over this transaction even though it wasn't started with them.

One last thing: The two reps were saying that if I "traded-in" my old phone then gave them (the reps) the upgrade on the non-unlimited line they would give me $150 or so and I'd get the "traded-in" phone back to do whatever with (in this case give to my mom). Is this legit?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

The Gasmask posted:

Huh, I sort of figured something was off considering how different the info I'm getting here is. Unfortunately the Verizon (official, not reseller) store only has 2 reps and they were both saying the same things. I guess I'll see if the other nearby VZW store can take over this transaction even though it wasn't started with them.

One last thing: The two reps were saying that if I "traded-in" my old phone then gave them (the reps) the upgrade on the non-unlimited line they would give me $150 or so and I'd get the "traded-in" phone back to do whatever with (in this case give to my mom). Is this legit?

That sounds shady as gently caress.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

a) pay retail price.

I'm not quite sure how it ended up working out for me, but my process was a little different...

1) I pre-ordered the iPhone 5 through Apple's online store on my unlimited data plan

2) When the phone arrived, I took it in to a Verizon store to see if they could activate it somehow on a family member's dumbphone line, then switch it to mine. They didn't have any SIMs though, so they asked if they could try something else...

3) It appeared that they first renewed my contract for another two years as if I were doing it on my existing phone, so that the plan, text messages, and data all stayed the same.

4) They then went and took the iPhone 5, and switched it to my line.

5) Then it was turned on and activated it. The customer service rep entered in a couple of codes to a number she called, and it was activated!

I checked it right away through MyVerizon, and it said unlimited data. I then checked regularly through the end of the billing cycle and it always said unlimited. Once the billing cycle refreshed to a new one I checked, and it still said unlimited data. So I think I'm good to go.

Now I just need to figure out how to break off my line while still keeping unlimited data...

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

The Gasmask posted:

I'm a little confused how you were able to get rid of the data plan on the dumbphone line (if I understand what you said correctly); I asked about it and he said we'd be locked into a 2 year contract on that line.
They were technically correct about the 2-year contract -- you have to extend your contract in order to get a subsidized phone. But all that means is that you have to keep that line active, i.e. on a voice plan. The data plan is a feature (similar to a text message bundle, or a VZ Navigator subscription). Once you re-activate the dumb phone on that line (the line stays active, so you fulfill your contract obligations), they can drop the data plan feature (technically, I think they move you to a "pay as you go data" feature).

And yes, that "trade in your phone and give me your upgrade thing" is shady as hell. Go to the other store, sounds like these guys are not just idiots, they're trying to gently caress you.

e: also keep in mind that in the sequence I posted above, although you shouldn't have to, if you run into trouble you can separate steps 2,3, and 4 into separate transactions. That is, you can do step two, wait a day or two, do step 3, etc.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 13, 2012

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Anyone having any luck getting an iPhone 5 from a corporate store or are they still in the "preorder/no stock" mode?

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

JayKay posted:

Anyone having any luck getting an iPhone 5 from a corporate store or are they still in the "preorder/no stock" mode?

I was in my local VZW corporate store on Saturday. The guy there got 2 phone calls while he was helping me and both people were looking for 16GB models. He told the customers they had plenty of 32/64 models but that the 16GB models were on backorder.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

comper posted:

I was in my local VZW corporate store on Saturday. The guy there got 2 phone calls while he was helping me and both people were looking for 16GB models. He told the customers they had plenty of 32/64 models but that the 16GB models were on backorder.

The 16GB iPhone is the v6 automatic Mustang/Camaro/Challenger of the phone world. Love it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The first Droid Razr HD review. It's for the Roger's version, but there should be very little difference for the Verizon version.

http://www.androidcentral.com/motorola-droid-razr-hd-review

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

bull3964 posted:

The first Droid Razr HD review. It's for the Roger's version, but there should be very little difference for the Verizon version.

Holy poo poo that looks great! I'm really considering selling my SGS3 and getting one of these.

Anyone know how much its going to cost without using an upgrade?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I love the physical design. I just wish it had the quad core Krait and 2gb of ram to be a bit more future proof. If it had both of those, I probably wouldn't have much issue with dropping the full retail price for it. But I'm really having trouble justifying it now.

I just wish I knew if Motorola was going to expand upon this design down the road with better internals.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Have you caught whether the screen is any different from the SGS3? I didn't even realize it was AMOLED for sure until seeing that review. Also none of the RAZRs on Verizon have an unlocked bootloader, right?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I haven't seen any reviews say there's a drastic difference between the Razr HD screen and the SGSIII, so I guess they are comparable.

No, I wouldn't expect the bootloader to be unlockable unless you buy a developer edition.

Yummers
Mar 5, 2011

if you like my car STEP OFF BITCH I HAVE NO TIME FOR YOU

also ask me about shapnel wounds

SpartanIV posted:

Holy poo poo that looks great! I'm really considering selling my SGS3 and getting one of these.

Anyone know how much its going to cost without using an upgrade?

It will probably be ~$600 for the full retail (plus taxes and accessories it could be a hefty price). Specs are essentially the same compared to the sIII so I doubt it's worth paying full retail for. On the one hand, you have Motorola's solid build quality, legendary talk time battery life, and well thought out UI -- but on the other hand you're losing 1GB of ram and the removable battery (as well as some of the Samsung touchwiz functionality like S-voice, S-beam, wifi direct, Samsung gestures etcetera).

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

No, I wouldn't expect the bootloader to be unlockable unless you buy a developer edition.

I just wondered because I think that review said the Rogers version would get unlocked.

Yummers posted:

It will probably be ~$600 for the full retail (plus taxes and accessories it could be a hefty price). Specs are essentially the same compared to the sIII so I doubt it's worth paying full retail for. On the one hand, you have Motorola's solid build quality, legendary talk time battery life, and well thought out UI -- but on the other hand you're losing 1GB of ram and the removable battery (as well as some of the Samsung touchwiz functionality like S-voice, S-beam, wifi direct, Samsung gestures etcetera).

I don't think any of the S- stuff is very good, especially when they replace things like Google Now with their own junk. I'd definitely count software as another aspect in favor of the Razrs.

I've got an upgrade coming early next year and I'm a little bummed out about probably not having a Nexus to go with. It'll likely be an S3 or RAZR Maxx HD (or wait a bit longer), as I imagine there won't be another flagship phone coming out before then. Like you say, Moto will have better hardware, but Samsung is more Nexus-ish in the sense that it'll be much easier to get AOSP on it and keep it up to date (even though I'll have to do it rather than Samsung). I guess no sense worrying now.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

RVProfootballer posted:

but Samsung is more Nexus-ish in the sense that it'll be much easier to get AOSP on it and keep it up to date (even though I'll have to do it rather than Samsung). I guess no sense worrying now.

Don't count on it. There's nothing guaranteeing that the exploit used to load other ROMs on the SGSIII won't be patched down the line.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

JayKay posted:

I bought mine on Friday. According to the associate, they came in around noon time. I was there around 1. They got very, very few 16gb models (which sold out in that hour) but they got a decent amount of 32gb which I wanted anyway.

So if you want a 32gb, there's a chance you could get one from a Verizon store. 16gb ones seem much harder to get.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Sweet thanks for the advice. I'm trying to track down a 32gb black model and have been having zero luck. I figured it was due to the high demand out here in the DC region.

I'll give my 3 local corporate stores a call tomorrow.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

A coworker of mine had his wife go to Radio Shack and they got two of the 16GB black ones this weekend.

YMMV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yummers
Mar 5, 2011

if you like my car STEP OFF BITCH I HAVE NO TIME FOR YOU

also ask me about shapnel wounds

RVProfootballer posted:

I just wondered because I think that review said the Rogers version would get unlocked.

I don't think any of the S- stuff is very good, especially when they replace things like Google Now with their own junk. I'd definitely count software as another aspect in favor of the Razrs.

I've got an upgrade coming early next year and I'm a little bummed out about probably not having a Nexus to go with. It'll likely be an S3 or RAZR Maxx HD (or wait a bit longer), as I imagine there won't be another flagship phone coming out before then. Like you say, Moto will have better hardware, but Samsung is more Nexus-ish in the sense that it'll be much easier to get AOSP on it and keep it up to date (even though I'll have to do it rather than Samsung). I guess no sense worrying now.

Verizon is pretty good about keeping secrets. But I would have to think a Snapdragon S4 Pro phone of some type would be arriving within 4-6 weeks of the Razr HD's release as a holiday shopping season feature phone (for no other reason than to be competitive with the other carrier's offerings). It will probably be the rumored LG "Nexus 4" phone and I would hold out for that if I were going to upgrade. It will likely have the same hardware as the new Optimus G but running Google's latest OS and a Nexus form factor. Additional rumors suggest an Android 4.2 OS improvement called "project roadrunner" to improve battery life and various settings/application enhancements. That's a lot of rumor, but nothing outlandish that would make me think it's not a potential reality. I guess it all comes down to when Google decides to announce their new Nexus phone and new OS. It seems like they need to make the announcement this month for all the rumors to come together. Maybe it won't be until next year.

Edit: And below you can see Android's past OS release dates are all over the place. So it's really hard to tell if 4.2 is it for 2012 or not. I mean, as of Oct 2nd, 4.1 only has 1.8% distribution -- and why would you announce a new OS so soon when your current OS has only just started arriving to the current crop of Nexus devices? The Nexus 4 is real, but just the fact that no "Key Lime Pie" announcement dates are flying around to go with it has me all confused!

Version Release date API level Distribution (October 2, 2012)
4.1.x Jelly Bean July 9, 2012 16 1.8%
4.0.x Ice Cream Sandwich October 19, 2011 14-15 23.7%
3.x.x Honeycomb February 22, 2011 11-13 1.9%
2.3.x Gingerbread December 6, 2010 9-10 55.8%
2.2 Froyo May 20, 2010 8 12.9%
2.0, 2.1 Eclair October 26, 2009 7 3.4%
1.6 Donut September 15, 2009 4 0.4%
1.5 Cupcake April 30, 2009 3 0.1%

Yummers fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Oct 16, 2012

• Locked thread