Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

How does that sound anything like a demon that rapes men in their sleep to harvest their seed?
Obviously Jones is a special kind of succubus that sustains herself by running her fingers through dudes' hair while they sleep. Here she's having a mid day snack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Parts Kit posted:

Obviously Jones is a special kind of succubus that sustains herself by running her fingers through dudes' hair while they sleep.

Ah, so this would explain this event recovered from apocrypha:

The poor guy just doesn't have any hair :haw:

Maldraedior posted:

if there are tiers for paintings I will be so mad that I will have missed them

Why would you be mad about missing something that hasn't happened yet? When (or if) a Kickstarter for GC goes live you can throw in money to get a painting or two. And if you think you can't, you can always save money for the event.

vvvv Tom said Topatoco's going to stock it very soon.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Oct 11, 2012

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fragrag posted:

But what would he kickstart?

Is Volume 2 back around yet?

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
Yes, though the only place to get it at the moment, it off the publisher's site.

http://store.archaia.com/products/Gunnerkrigg-Court-Vol.-2%3A-Research.html

Topatoco is yet to get it back in stock though.

Edit: Tom's Twitter says there is a shipment on the way to Topatoco soon.

Yak of Wrath fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 11, 2012

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

He could have a reprint drive to print with someone that doesn't take such a big cut he doesn't make any money if someone buys it from Amazon or anywhere else but Topatoco?

I dunno, I just think there should be more money in his hands somehow.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Maybe a side story? I'd love a full 24/32 page printed city face comic.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Or some Coyote stories. It'd be a good opportunity for him to try some other art styles, too, since he keeps saying he wants to experiment more artistically.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Elizabeth Langdon, looking like a longish time before the last update - possibly long enough time that she had a different name in between being Elizabeth and being Emma (not that it matters). The caption, "Everything is taken from her," makes me wonder if this incident was the first time this sort of thing has happened to her. Clearly, like most immortals, she takes new names and moves on in order to avoid being discovered (at least until she came to the Court where people don't seem to care so much about that sort of weirdness), but if she stuck around long enough to be thought of as an "old heiress," then it might be she began as Elizabeth Langdon. And, if not, it may be noteworthy to learn how she became an heiress in the first place.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Bongo Bill posted:

Elizabeth Langdon, looking like a longish time before the last update - possibly long enough time that she had a different name in between being Elizabeth and being Emma (not that it matters). The caption, "Everything is taken from her," makes me wonder if this incident was the first time this sort of thing has happened to her. Clearly, like most immortals, she takes new names and moves on in order to avoid being discovered (at least until she came to the Court where people don't seem to care so much about that sort of weirdness), but if she stuck around long enough to be thought of as an "old heiress," then it might be she began as Elizabeth Langdon. And, if not, it may be noteworthy to learn how she became an heiress in the first place.

Or, to summarise, :psyduck:.

v mystery solved.

mrpwase fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Oct 12, 2012

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
I'm certain that next week we will either discover or begin to discover the origins of Elizabeth Langdon, or we won't.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

scary ghost dog posted:

I'm certain that next week we will either discover or begin to discover the origins of Elizabeth Langdon, or we won't.

I don't think it's important. It's been established how she moves on by taking the names of people close to her, and this page shows the trouble of being immortal.

Of course, judging by Tom's comment, it might be possible that she originally started as Elizabeth Langdon.

My guess, she was a rich lady made a Faustian deal with somebody to become immortal. In doing so, she gave up her soul and didn't understand the perils of immortality. Because writers love Faustian deals.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, my guess was that she was originally Lady Elizabeth too.

Anyone familiar with fashions and uniforms who can guesstimate the decade?

Froodulous
Feb 29, 2008

Hey, head pigeon, is this a bad post?

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, my guess was that she was originally Lady Elizabeth too.

Anyone familiar with fashions and uniforms who can guesstimate the decade?

Well, we're apparently talking "many decades" before WW1. Or does that mean many decades before the present?

I would guess (and it is a wild guess) we're looking at the mid-late 1800s.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Industrial age - 1870-90 or therabouts - I think. I am basing this almost entirely on the fact that the dude in the fedora looks like a steampunk nerd.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
"Jones? Is that the name you have stolen this time, Wandering Eye?"

If Coyote was getting on Jones' case for stealing people's names, I suspect this isn't her original identity, because if she started here she'd have only had, like, three names Coyote might have known about, tops.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Speculation: Separated at birth? (separated by death?) This has been done before, right?

http://i.imgur.com/Hffiw.png

As Coyote was made by man's imagination, so too Jones was revived by Dieago's belief when Jeanne disappeared. No, wait - Because the robots worship Jeanne, their beliefs have created Jones, which is why she is like a robot! She is the robot GOD! It all comes together!

Goffer fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Oct 12, 2012

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

That's the problem with being immortal. When you don't die eventually you have to assume a whole new identity and then there's the whole problem of faking your own death and inheriting your own wealth...

Wili
Apr 7, 2010

ppppbbbbtttthhhhhhttppp!
I wonder if the accusations of the hat man are actually accurate. Maybe Jones recieved the identity and wealth from the original Lady Elizabeth the same way she recived the name Jones.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
While her body doesn't seem to age, it seems that her mind does. Maybe her eternal poker face is because she had all emotions eroded away from her by the flow of time; and the only feelings she still seem to express are tinged with melancholy.

How many times can you get attached to a life only to see it all -- the people and place you loved, the things that framed your daily life -- fade away, as your friend wither and die and you have to move to a new place with a new identity?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm sure that her origins are going to be more significant than "rich human heiress who got immortality somehow". We've still got a ways to go in Jones' life, and I expect we won't be done before we see her tie in with Coyote again. He had to get to know her before she became Jones after all, and she's had that name since the mid 1900s.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Maybe immortality was one of Coyote's Gifts.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Pester posted:

As I understood it, when Coyote gave away a Gift, he lost the power himself. So that'd imply that Coyote could and would die.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
I don't think there's any particular reason to think that this is her original life. "Heiress" could mean any number of things, such as marrying a rich guy decades before this comic happened. Something like that would have been recorded, along with her supposed age, so she would need to become a recluse to not arouse suspicion.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Pester posted:

Maybe Coyote gave away his eternal boredom.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Goffer posted:

Speculation: Separated at birth? (separated by death?) This has been done before, right?

http://i.imgur.com/Hffiw.png

As Coyote was made by man's imagination, so too Jones was revived by Dieago's belief when Jeanne disappeared. No, wait - Because the robots worship Jeanne, their beliefs have created Jones, which is why she is like a robot! She is the robot GOD! It all comes together!

The only similarity is that they're women with blond hair.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah - Jeanne has been a fiery, passionate woman in every scene we've seen of her. Jones... I don't even need to complete this sentence.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Freudian posted:

Yeah - Jeanne has been a fiery, passionate woman in every scene we've seen of her. Jones... I don't even need to complete this sentence.

I dunno, it makes sense to me more and more now we know for concrete that Jones is some sort of static being. The arrow that ripped Jeanne's emotions from her, and tied it to the Annan waters, and now her emotionless body wanders about-- a wandering eye.

However, that theory doesn't hold a whole lot of water since you'd think that Jones would, in that situation, be more tied to the Court through the years. And that she does have some sort of feelings for Jimmy Jims. So, either the situation is a little more complex than that, or they are just two similar-looking women.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Freudian posted:

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=779
The shell of her body was discarded, but her anger/hate/etc was left as the river ghost. We've seen the skeleton on the bank so the original body has rotted away but I suppose that doesn't rule out some sort of copy.

Fister Roboto posted:

But this is probably it.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Freudian posted:

Boy are you going to have egg on your faces on Monday.

She's definitely either: (a) a manifestation of the robot imagination (ala Coyote's origin), and since robots don't have those emotions, so she's empty like that, or (b) when she died her personality/spirit split and she's kind of just a emotionless shell (with amnesia!) while her emotional being is trapped in the river. It's like a Planescape mortality separation situation!

It all fits! :downs:

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Goffer posted:

Boy are you going to have egg on your faces on Monday.

She's definitely either: (a) a manifestation of the robot imagination (ala Coyote's origin), and since robots don't have those emotions, so she's empty like that, or (b) when she died her personality/spirit split and she's kind of just a emotionless shell (with amnesia!) while her emotional being is trapped in the river. It's like a Planescape mortality separation situation!

It all fits! :downs:

I don't see anything Robot in the flashback, though. You'd think that the living manifestation of the Robot consciousness would have something to do with robots in at least one of the first ten pages of a chapter about her origins?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Goffer posted:

since robots don't have those emotions
Oh no! A rude sentence! The rudest sentence!

Gunnerkrigg Court robots definitely have emotions.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Jones seemed to slump from a whealty person to a worker in an factory. Something probably happened inbetween.

I kind of think that she's more emotional than she seems but she's hindered by her perpetual stone face.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Numero6 posted:

Jones seemed to slump from a whealty person to a worker in an factory. Something probably happened inbetween.

Well, she got arrested and her fortune taken away from her because she'd been in that identity too long and was meant to be an old lady by now, so they thought she was a fraud.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Numero6 posted:

I kind of think that she's more emotional than she seems but she's hindered by her perpetual stone face.

Well, it says that she loses everything. So there's no "inbetween", we're seeing it happen here.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
Given her lack of emotion, I wonder what would cause someone to fall in love with Jones. So far, we've seen at least 3 dudes all up in her petticoats.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

She's a pretty lady. Dudes are shallow.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Tender Child Loins posted:

Given her lack of emotion, I wonder what would cause someone to fall in love with Jones. So far, we've seen at least 3 dudes all up in her petticoats.

Dudes love a challenge. And clearly she's not COMPLETELY devoid of emotion - she sits reading a book while stroking her man's head in her lap after a meal. She just has precisely one facial expression and tone of voice.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
A book of stories about Jones through the years would make a nice Kickstarter project. Just, you know, throwin' that out there.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Would it be possible that Jones is a robot/golem built by Diego?
Looking through this chapter and that's the general vibe I'm feeling.
EDIT: Also, based on the robots' dialogue further in no way in hell is Kat not magical/ethereal in some form, beyond the robots' and Zimmy's perception of her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
Next page is Jones at the last supper.