Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Sure, I'm on vacation atm but I should be able to hook you up sometime soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Reene posted:

I need a good starting stat block template for a hydra/dragon that will breathe acid, fire, ice, and whatever else I can think of. I don't suppose this already exists buried in a book somewhere?
Depending on how hard of a fight you want, there's a dragon in Summoners (the Stranger Shores chapter) that is pretty potent but won't destroy everyone unless they're right off the turnip truck. Or if you do want a nightmare encounter, Dzarumath in Night Horrors: Grim Fears will pretty much nuke anyone into the ground who isn't loaded up with arcane defenses.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I have a Matter master, a Fate master, a Time master, a Death/Matter adept, and a Space/Mind adept in my player group, so whatever I do needs to not be instantly dismantled by them. They're currently wandering around in the primordial jungle playground of a thousand year old Thyrsus archmaster looking for a magic flower, and I think a magically engineered dragonhydra that breathes radiation and death would shake things up a bit.

Thanks for the pointer.

ETA: Having looked at Dzarumazh all I can say is drat :stare: I'm not sure I can do that to them. Immunity to firearms is what makes it a beast.

Reene fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 12, 2012

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

moths posted:

Sure, I'm on vacation atm but I should be able to hook you up sometime soon.

Much appreciated.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

MalcolmSheppard posted:

Ah, so they went with a simpler alternate? Interesting.

They did, but I don't even remember what it looks like. It might actually have been kinda S-like because I think they kept the scythe, but I really don't know. I do remember thinking that the remixed Gangrel logo they put in the Gangrel clanbook wasn't nearly as cool as the core Gangrel logo; I love that eye/bird/claw thing.

I'm talking about this:

What is it? What does it mean? Nobody knows. The perfect sigil for a clan of occult mystery.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Reene posted:

I have a Matter master, a Fate master, a Time master, a Death/Matter adept, and a Space/Mind adept in my player group, so whatever I do needs to not be instantly dismantled by them. They're currently wandering around in the primordial jungle playground of a thousand year old Thyrsus archmaster looking for a magic flower, and I think a magically engineered dragonhydra that breathes radiation and death would shake things up a bit.

Thanks for the pointer.

ETA: Having looked at Dzarumazh all I can say is drat :stare: I'm not sure I can do that to them. Immunity to firearms is what makes it a beast.
I figure Dzarumazh is a good jumping off point, especially for a team like that. If they have any tactics at all it should be a good (but difficult) fight.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

It would be a surprise encounter, and the PCs do not like each other very much and tend to take an "every man for themselves" approach to most problems, which has screwed them before. On the other hand, this could be the thing that pushes them into working together as a team! Right? Right?? :shepface:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Reene posted:

On the other hand, this could be the thing that pushes them into working together as a team! Right? Right?? :shepface:
It better if they want to see another sunrise. :getin:

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012
MATTHEW 7:20
Hey Loomer, on the subject of obscure V:TM books

http://www.amazon.ca/Vampire-Diary-Embrace-Robert-Weinberg/dp/1565048008

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

If that's the story I think it is, it may also be in a big short story collection I have with 1 story per gameline.

it's all in like, handwritten style with little drawings similar to the HoL books, right?

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012
MATTHEW 7:20

Error 404 posted:

If that's the story I think it is, it may also be in a big short story collection I have with 1 story per gameline.

it's all in like, handwritten style with little drawings similar to the HoL books, right?

Not sure, I only ever saw it in stores when it was r(re?)-released in conjunction with the Kindred TV series. It had a lock built into it like other diaries you get in bookstores.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

This book is a magical time-capsule from the 90's. Wasn't it also a tie-in with the television show?

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Daeren posted:

In a Werewolf game I played, the ST changed Gauru to scale based on Primal Urge. Instead of just flat Strength +3, Dexterity +1, Stamina +2, it was Strength + [Primal Urge x 1.5], Dexterity + [Primal Urge / 2] and Stamina + [Primal Urge]. Not a perfect fix with how much Primal Urge costs to improve, but it wasn't too bad. Also, he tried homebrewing an alternative to Gifts where you make pacts with specific spirits to get the ability to switch on and off persistent bonuses and powers, but that was a nightmare to balance/homebrew and led to a dead end for us. It was a pretty rad alternate concept though, since your spirit half partially fused with the pacted spirit depending on how powerful it was, so if your Harmony was out of whack and you didn't have a strong Primal Urge, pacting with a spirit out of your league could turn you into a weremagath.

When it comes to not just gutting the system and homebrewing replacements, Pack Tactics (from The Rage) can be pretty great too.

Some dude on the forums redid all of the Gifts. I'd recommend taking a look at it 'cause he does some decent poo poo for Exalted.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

This was also reprinted in one of the WoD omnibus anthologies; either The Essential World of Darkness or The Quintessential World of Darkness, I forget which. iirc the actual formatting is unchanged, aside from it obviously not being a faux diary with a key and all that.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

gtrmp posted:

This was also reprinted in one of the WoD omnibus anthologies; either The Essential World of Darkness or The Quintessential World of Darkness, I forget which. iirc the actual formatting is unchanged, aside from it obviously not being a faux diary with a key and all that.

Yes, this is the story collection I mentioned earlier! I forgot the name.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Oh sure, pad your company's profits by exploiting an Australian...

Fortunately, I already have a copy from an Aussie bookseller, so I don't need to pay a hundred Canadian. It's in pretty tatty condition, but that's okay.

Also, for the record, I am not including Kindred: the Embraced, because gently caress that.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Oh, Kindred.

"That guy must be Gangrel."
"How can you tell?"
"He's the only one who hasn't used Protean."

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Man, it may not be from 1995 (it's 96, so I should really be focusing on earlier material, but I read the fiction books as I please and document them in the same order as the others, so I've already read most of the stuff from 1999 on for later entry, etcetera), but Dracula's Children is just a hilarious clusterfuck of trying to shoe-horn in Dracula at every opportunity.

For God's sake, Gomorrah had Dracula as their time-and-space-warped oracle.

Dark Destiny 1 is interesting, though. It has the penanggalan as a form of Kuei-Jin, which IIRC don't appear properly until 97 or 98 (where the penanggalan are brought up as Malaysian Kuei-Jin with a yang imbalance, according to the wiki).

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

ErichZahn posted:

Some dude on the forums redid all of the Gifts.

But did he sexmurder them?

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Emily Dickinson was a Sin-Eater, the "undiscovered continent" was her Geist. Discuss.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

I decided Dzarumazh was a little much for them and came up with a slightly more sane stat block based on his that was still pretty badass but was slightly less badass than 32 dice per attack with 3 attacks per turn.

The Time master proceeds to lead in initiative, casts Stop Time for 6 net successes, and the Death adept pops open a Ghost Gate and everyone flees into twilight.

I never think of everything

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Dire McCann is in Dark Destinies as well. Goddamn it Weinberg.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Reene posted:

I decided Dzarumazh was a little much for them and came up with a slightly more sane stat block based on his that was still pretty badass but was slightly less badass than 32 dice per attack with 3 attacks per turn.

The Time master proceeds to lead in initiative, casts Stop Time for 6 net successes, and the Death adept pops open a Ghost Gate and everyone flees into twilight.

I never think of everything
You missed the bit where he gets a -2 for every 3 size difference, I see. That tends to take a good 15 or so off his claw attacks.

Also, thinking of everything in a mage game is an exercise in futility.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
One of my players' characters is running for U.S. president. In the spirit of the season, I designed a little system for a presidential debate and I'm interested in any comments or criticism. (This will actually be the democratic primaries; my game is set a few months ago in Washington DC where Dick Cheney has been prez for the past 4 years. ~World~of~Darkness~)

Everyone starts with an Opening Statement: roll any two of Intelligence, Wits, Presence, or Manipulation, plus Academics or Politics or Science, plus Expression or Persuasion or Subterfuge. Successes scored are earned as Appeal points, which is how we decide who wins the debate. Unlike the other rolls, I roll all the opening statements in secret, so no one really knows anyone's exact Appeal score.

The main body of the debate is six or so rounds where the debaters take turns rolling different "rhetorical maneuvers" to gain Appeal points, or reduce the Appeal of their opponents. Using the same maneuver that was just used levies a -1 die repetition penalty, and each candidate takes a cumulative -1 repetition penalty each time he or she reuses a maneuver, to discourage everyone from just rerolling their highest dice pool every time.

Strengthen Position
add successes to Appeal
  • Political Promise: Manipulation + Politics
  • Propose Solution: Intelligence + Persuasion
    • no repetition penalty if no successes scored
  • Personal Story: Presence + Expression
  • Avoid Issue: Intelligence or Wits or Presence or Manipulation + Subterfuge
    • -1 vs Attacks this round, No successes = lose 1 Appeal
Attack Opponent
Subtract successes from opponent's Appeal
-1 per target if targeting multiple opponents
Gain 1 Appeal if more than half attacks succeed
  • Attack Record: Intelligence + Wits + Politics vs. Resolve + Politics
  • Attack Qualifications: Presence + Manipulation + Politics vs. Composure + Politics
  • Attack Character: Presence or Manipulation + Intimidation vs. Composure
    • repetition penalty of -2
  • Dispute Claims: Intelligence + Academics or Science vs. Wits
    • no repetition penalty if you succeed by 2 or more
Trick Opponent
target one opponent
  • "Zinger": Presence + Wits vs. Chance Die (optional, see Comeback)
    • Wager Appeal up to Wits
    • Successes less than wager: lose wager
    • Meet or exceed wager: Add successes to appeal and opponent loses your wager
  • Comeback: Reflexive action when zinged: roll chance die
    • Wager Appeal up to Wits
    • Success: Gain Appeal equal to wager, opponent loses half Appeal gained from zinger
    • Failure: Lose wager if dramatic failure, otherwise nothing happens.
  • Trap Opponent: Subterfuge + Manipulation vs. Resolve + Empathy
    • Loser loses Appeal equal to successes (minimum 1) and winner gains same amount.
    • No change on a tie, unless the tie is 0-0, then both lose 1 Appeal.

The six topics I have in mind for each round each have small rules twists:
  1. President Cheney: no special rules
  2. Crime: can use Streetwise+1 in place of Expression and Politics
  3. National Deficit: Manipulation dice pools gain +1 and 9-again
  4. Unemployment: all Attacks cost 1 Appeal
  5. Healthcare: can use Medicine+1 in place of Academics and Science
  6. Middle East: Intelligence dice pools gain +1 and 9-again

I don't have anything specific in mind for closing statements, probably basically the same thing as the opening statements but I want to leave my options open to maybe wing something depending what the scoreboard looks like at the time. Likewise I'm thinking about having the moderator decide to extend some of the topics to a second round, but it's already a huge pile of dice rolling and I'll need to see how much time it all takes.

Hopefully it's interesting and exciting enough that my non-presidential players will have fun playing some of the NPCs for about half of a session. FYI, it's a Mage game: the PC candidate is a Mind disciple, and his opponents are a bunch of sleepers and one Fate master so honestly I think the conclusion is foregone. But that's ok because discovering the one guy is Awakened too is the real plot point here. Anyway lemme know what you think.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Looks pretty interesting, though if you have it, I'd give the Social Combat rules in Danse Macabre a look-over as they're pretty much the only social combat rules that I've seen that don't make me want to dunk my head in a deep fryer to escape the pain. The special round bonuses and specific maneuvers could be put on top of it pretty easily too, as long as I'm remembering it well.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Ferrinus posted:

They did, but I don't even remember what it looks like. It might actually have been kinda S-like because I think they kept the scythe, but I really don't know. I do remember thinking that the remixed Gangrel logo they put in the Gangrel clanbook wasn't nearly as cool as the core Gangrel logo; I love that eye/bird/claw thing.

I'm talking about this:

What is it? What does it mean? Nobody knows. The perfect sigil for a clan of occult mystery.

That's the Stussy S logo circa the early 1990s.

Sorry for ruining your mystery.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Were there, either in old or new WOD books for the various gamelines to play in medieval settings? Because dark ages vampire sounds like a really fun way to play.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

crime fighting hog posted:

Were there, either in old or new WOD books for the various gamelines to play in medieval settings? Because dark ages vampire sounds like a really fun way to play.

oWoD had a Dark Ages book with its supplements and stuff for almost every edition of every game. 1st and 2nd Ed were here and there with the misses (I don't think there was a DA Mummy, was there?) but by the time Revised came around they all got one of varying quality levels... they were all pretty drat good and interesting, unlike their modern counterparts which in many cases were hosed up or awful in some way.

For nWoD there are random period settings, but I don't know enough about them to definitively tell you... I know it's not a standard "Dark Age variant for everything!" rules like in oWoD.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Dark Ages Fae was quite good, as memory serves, and very different to oChangeling.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

I always thought Victorian Mage sounded way more fun ever since reading the Legacy in nMage that was founded by Awakened women during that time period as a way of networking and gaining power in a time and social period that was deeply oppressive toward women.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Fuzz posted:

oWoD had a Dark Ages book with its supplements and stuff for almost every edition of every game. 1st and 2nd Ed were here and there with the misses (I don't think there was a DA Mummy, was there?) but by the time Revised came around they all got one of varying quality levels... they were all pretty drat good and interesting, unlike their modern counterparts which in many cases were hosed up or awful in some way.

For nWoD there are random period settings, but I don't know enough about them to definitively tell you... I know it's not a standard "Dark Age variant for everything!" rules like in oWoD.

To date there's been New Wave Requiem (Vampire in the 80s), Mage Noir (Mage in the 1950s), and Victorian Lost (pretty obvious from the name) released as PDF/PoD supplements, Requiem For Rome/Fall of the Camarilla (Roman-era Vampire) as hardback releases, and a section of the Werewolf Chronicler's Guide about werewolves in ancient Sumer. There's also space opera and cyberpunk takes on WoD in general that were cut from WoD: Mirrors but got their own PDF releases, if you count those as "period settings."

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Wow, Noir Mage sounds loving awesome. Someone needs to run that.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

There was also a Renaissance Mage, The Sorcerer's Crusade, that was pretty well-received if I remember right.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
New Wave Requiem will stand as one of my favorite setting books in the NWoD.

The art is frequently awesome, the era is pitch-perfect for coked-out Ventrue powerbrokers and self-obsessed Daeva (Greed is Good, after all). Add to that the birth of punk rock, the paranoia caused by the dawn of AIDS, and the overall American fall towards utter decadence.

It's a strangely great and terrible time to be a vampire, and a time I likely wouldn't have ever considered if that book had not been written.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

pseudosavior posted:

New Wave Requiem will stand as one of my favorite setting books in the NWoD.

The art is frequently awesome, the era is pitch-perfect for coked-out Ventrue powerbrokers and self-obsessed Daeva (Greed is Good, after all). Add to that the birth of punk rock, the paranoia caused by the dawn of AIDS, and the overall American fall towards utter decadence.

It's a strangely great and terrible time to be a vampire, and a time I likely wouldn't have ever considered if that book had not been written.

It is honestly amazing.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

moths posted:

There was also a Renaissance Mage, The Sorcerer's Crusade, that was pretty well-received if I remember right.
Sorcerer's Crusade is great, Phil Brucato did an excellent job making it super-awesome content wise and also it has some fantastic full-colour art at the start of the book - I can't seem to find it on Google though

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

Grim posted:

Sorcerer's Crusade is great, Phil Brucato did an excellent job making it super-awesome content wise and also it has some fantastic full-colour art at the start of the book - I can't seem to find it on Google though

Sorcerer's Crusade is pretty great. They actually overhaul the system fairly significantly, and redo a lot of the oWoD mage details to fit the era of 'where everything came from'. I recall it having its weird bits, but I haven't read through my copy in years. I'll have access to it in about two months - it's such a weird niche that I've never had a group wanting to play it.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.
Dark Ages: Inquisitor I thought was fabulous as well pretty much on par with Dark Ages Fae even in the comparison between oChangling and oHunter. Darkages was way better written in most case than the modern counter parts. I did like wild west werewolf too though.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Fuzz posted:

That's the Stussy S logo circa the early 1990s.

Sorry for ruining your mystery.

Wow, you just gotta suck the magic out of everything, don't you. A true Technocrat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Here is Stovetop posted:

Dark Ages: Inquisitor I thought was fabulous as well pretty much on par with Dark Ages Fae even in the comparison between oChangling and oHunter. Darkages was way better written in most case than the modern counter parts. I did like wild west werewolf too though.

Wild West Werewolf is just a fun concept. Cowboy Werewolves with revolvers, attacking steam trains transporting Wyrm-agents to the Coast? Fun.

• Locked thread