Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Hemish posted:

Fart of Presto, what magic are you using to beat so many games so quickly?!
Not sure if you noticed, but most of the games I mention, I nulled :)

But yeah, the last couple of weeks, I managed to play through 4 games and I'm not really sure how I managed to find the time, as I've also been working my rear end off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Beat: Sleeping Dogs
loving fantastic game all around. It's incredible to me that a game so troubled could finally come out and be so drat charming and enjoyable.

Beat: Borderlands 2
But I know I'm not done with it by far. Kick rear end game.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Fart of Presto posted:

Not sure if you noticed, but most of the games I mention, I nulled :)

But yeah, the last couple of weeks, I managed to play through 4 games and I'm not really sure how I managed to find the time, as I've also been working my rear end off.

Yeah but like you said, you beat half my 2012 stats in 2 weeks or something.

I just beat Saint Row 3. Going to try Bastion next which was suggested by someone in #steamgoons.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I have to post this just to stop myself from playing any more.

BEAT: The Binding of Isaac: Wrath of Lamb. Technically speaking there's a lot more to do, but I beat The Chest and got Dad's Key, that's as close to 'finished' as the game gets without getting absurd.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Ugh, I need to visit this thread for encouragement more often. After spending some $110 in the summer sale I told myself I wouldn't buy anything until I beat a bunch of those games. Since then I've caved in and purchased:

Orcs Must Die! 2
XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Renegade Ops
Rome: Total War
Torchlight 2

The only thing I think I've actually beaten since summer is Renegade Ops, which was fun as hell. I've already sunk 45 hours into XCOM and don't see myself putting that one in the 'beaten' category until I win on classic mode, which is kicking my rear end every time I try it.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Beat AVSEQ after picking it up in the IR bundle. I think some of the achievements might be bugged, otherwise I would go for a complete. Fun game any way!

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I could have spend my time beating my backlog, instead I did this. :shepface:

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

Not pictured: Da Vinci Dissapearance DLC full sync, VR Training and "The Truth"

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Just beat Darksiders 2 and I gotta say, that was the most disappointing game I've played in a long while. At least with most bad games you know they're kinda lovely going in but I had high hopes for this one and...welp. To break it down:

The Good:
  • in-game graphics are nice and the environments look amazing
  • the music is pretty sweet

The Bad:
  • the game is poorly paced. the first two areas are loooooong and then the final three are short as hell and feel extremely rushed, not that i wanted them to last any longer. as with Alice: Madness Returns this game needed some serious editing
  • the puzzles are insipid. for the majority of the game you'll be solving puzzles and doing extremely easy Prince of Persia style platforming. if you see a puzzle once though be ready to solve the exact same thing at least three more times. it's repetitive as gently caress and there's not a single fun dungeon in the game
  • the loot system adds absolutely nothing. not a single goddamn thing and there might as well be two sub-weapon classes instead of five+ because all of the light and heavy weapons feel the same
  • the combat is sloppy and the camera is too goddamn close to tell what the hell is going on. you're constantly fighting with it and the only lock-on system available requires that you hold down L2 which makes pulling off other moves impossible. why there's not a toggle (which only exists if you place using a keyboard and mouse) i have no idea
  • there's about an hour and a half of the game where it turns into a Gears of War style third person shooter. it's one of the worst levels i have ever played in a game
  • spoiler about the ending: there's nothing to spoil because nothing happens. absolutely nothing is resolved and it just shows you the ending to the first game again and ignores the entire pointless quest you just went on. fart
  • you play as Death. that's cool. what did the game designers think to do with a game where you play as Death? not a goddamn thing besides be purple because you're the most generic hero possible

I feel like I could write a book about all the bad things this game did. On top of all of that there's serious problems with the powers system, hotkeying items, glitches and absolutely awful DLC that makes me feel bad for anyone dumb enough to buy it. If you're morbidly curious wait until this game goes down even farther in price. I paid $25 and feel ripped off.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Got the new XCOM as a gift, playing my way through that.

Haven't really completed anything else on Steam as of late (at least not anything I haven't beaten before), but I haven't really bought much, either, so it's pretty neutral.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Finally beat Crysis Warhead. Took me about 5 hours and I enjoyed this more than the first one. I liked that less time was spent killing aliens and more time strength suit punching Koreans. Tonight I will knock another short game off my list in Time Gentlemen, Please!. Wooooo making progress, only about 20 games in the hole so far this year!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I don't know if it's something you bear but I experienced Dear Ester finally. I was not expecting that game to be so creepy. Oh yeah and it looks real nice too. (maybe spoilers if you haven't played it)

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 19, 2012

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
What spare time I have has not been while in a mental state to be able to X-COM effectively. But I do have a couple of trip reports.

PLAYED THROUGH DEMO: Ether Vapor Remaster. I also recorded some play in it while discussing the mechanics in annotations (click for video):

It's gorgeous, but I can't see buying it until I play down my stack a little more. The gameplay is less deep than Jamestown's.

BEAT: Critter Crunch. I was cruising through adventure mode, clearing each stage in one or two tries, when I hit the last level and failed like fifty times (not shown: all 50; not shown: the one where I succeeded) until finally managing to win. For some reason my winning run had me shift between keyboard and mouse control mid-stage, depending on whether I needed fine or coarse control.

Which is all well and good, but I'd actually truly won a couple of days previous when I got this achievement on my way to victory:

I've started messing with Superbrothers: Sword and Sworcery EP as my new B-Side game for the most-of-the-time my mind isn't up to X-COM; we'll see how long I can get away with that before its lunar phase jackassery decides to stop me. Maybe that will motivate me to get some more Squaddies slaughtered.

(Actually, S:S&S isn't technically a backlog game yet, since I got it against my will; once I hit the first stopping point I'll make the choice about whether or not to add it in, or "null" it by never having added it in the first place.)

Gilgamesh
Nov 26, 2001

Completed: Adventures of Shuggy (well, except the local co-op levels). This game was just about perfect for a puzzle platformer. Enough levels to keep you satisfied, not so difficult that you throw your arms up in disgust, and not so easy that you get bored. I finished all the levels plus the 3 challenge-based steam achievements.

Nulled: They Bleed Pixels. Not nulled because it's a bad game, but nulled because it's so god drat hard. I'm a huge impossible platformer fan, so I stuck this one on the backburner instead of nulling it. But I revisited it this week and decided it just wasn't worth it. Managed to make it to level 3-3. I still might revisit it later if I ever catch up on my backlog.

Nulled: Adam's Venture (all three episodes). The voice acting was awful, the graphics were sub-par, the puzzles were mind-numbingly easy, and there were some pretty heavy Christian overtones. Now I can look past those if the game is still somewhat fun, but it was really buggy on top of that. After randomly restarting at the checkpoint for no reason whatsoever a third time, I gave up.

Completed: Sam and Max Episode 102. This really didn't take long at all, less than 2 hours. I figure I'll go through a few of these a week to try to drive down my numbers.

And it's not Steam, but I completed 100% League of Evil on Android, a hard platformer, and I had to tell someone. For $0.99 I got many many hours of enjoyment out of it.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Gilgamesh posted:

Completed: Sam and Max Episode 102. This really didn't take long at all, less than 2 hours. I figure I'll go through a few of these a week to try to drive down my numbers.

The First Season is the shortest, but the best for the musical numbers and the Fourth and Sixth Episode.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Finally beat Serious Sam 3:BFE and what a loving letdown. For every awesome Serious Sam moment there is in that game there's probably three more of tedious, unfun, awful bullshit. The majority of the levels are garbage, the engine sucks and almost every new thing they added to the game is just poo poo upon poo poo. Dark Brides can suck my balls and so can those goddamn helicopters. The new bug enemies were fine I guess, the Devastator was a cool weapon and I legit liked those weird monkey-pillar fights but overall a poor, poor effort on Croteam's part.

e: oh and that final boss was just loving stupid. yes let's introduce a new gameplay mechanic just for that fight and give absolutely no hints about it or justification of why that should be what you're trying to do. and no i'm not talking about the jet pack

thizzin forever
Apr 10, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

e: oh and that final boss was just loving stupid. yes let's introduce a new gameplay mechanic just for that fight and give absolutely no hints about it or justification of why that should be what you're trying to do. and no i'm not talking about the jet pack

Been a while since I played it but couldn't the same complaint be directed towards the original Serious Sam? As much as I like that game (and I really like it) that stands out as a really terrible final boss.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Definitely, though from what I remember of the first Serious Sam it was some wizard thing and I stood in a corner where he couldn't hit me and wailed away at him.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Gilgamesh posted:

Nulled: They Bleed Pixels. Not nulled because it's a bad game, but nulled because it's so god drat hard. I'm a huge impossible platformer fan, so I stuck this one on the backburner instead of nulling it. But I revisited it this week and decided it just wasn't worth it. Managed to make it to level 3-3. I still might revisit it later if I ever catch up on my backlog.

If you do go back, there's a minor quirk of the physics engine that brickwalled me for several days in the 4-x levels, and I'm not sure whether it was my bullheadedness or the level design that was at fault: When you leave a wall-cling by jumping, this has a different flight path than when you leave by holding the opposite direction. There's a place where this matters but if you have absolutely inhuman timing you can actually squeak by with the "wrong" action, and I got stuck in this one spot for about 200 deaths trying to perfect it the wrong way. It wasn't nearly as bad with the correct one.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Completed Wizorb. A fun little Arkanoid-clone, very easy though. I ended the game with over 30 lives in store. Took about 3 hours all told.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

ManxomeBromide posted:

(Actually, [Superbrothers: Swords & Sworcery] isn't technically a backlog game yet, since I got it against my will; once I hit the first stopping point I'll make the choice about whether or not to add it in, or "null" it by never having added it in the first place.)

... or I could find and solve the puzzle that lets you bypass the silly calendar garbage it's so proud of and which is a terrible idea.

COMPLETED: Superbrothers: Swords & Sworcery, 100% completion listed. I wound up liking it a lot more than I expected it to, both because "The Prettiest Weed" is a very fine BGM track and because it managed to hit roughly the same spot Botanicula and Samorost did for me in terms of interaction. The combat needed some tuning to work better on the PC, but it wasn't bad enough to be disruptive.

I think I'm going to make myself play some more X-COM before I pick a new B-game. I've been playing nothing but my B-games for weeks.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
I beat Dishonored, and I liked it so much, I beat it again. That is a really great game, and while it can be short (if you just want to blast through), it is worth multiple play throughs.

I possessed a guard and made him walk into a wall of electricity, causing him to disintegrate on the spot. I stopped time as a guard shot at me, possessed his body, and moved him in front of the bullet, causing him to get shot by his own gun. I stabbed a guard in the dick.

This a good game.

Going to hurry up and finally beat Trine next. I'm so close.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Beaten XCOM on Normal Ironman, now trying the inevitable Classic Ironman run, and playing through Assassin's Creed 2 at the same time.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I'm nulling Necrovision. I know a lot of goons like it, but the game never really got me too interested. I made it to the third mission and I feel like a lot of enemies are bullet sponges and the guns don't really seem to pack a punch.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Is there a way to make Steam remember my birthdate so I don't have to enter it every time I try to load a game page? As a crochety old man born on 1/1/1900, I'm tired of this poo poo.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
It should do that if you're logged in. It used to not but since a few months ago it's been working for me.

americanzero4128 posted:

I'm nulling Necrovision. I know a lot of goons like it, but the game never really got me too interested. I made it to the third mission and I feel like a lot of enemies are bullet sponges and the guns don't really seem to pack a punch.

It's not the best so yeah don't feel bad. The back half/third of the game kinda sucks anyway, all the good bits are toward the beginning.

Gilgamesh
Nov 26, 2001

Tried a couple new ones last night:

Nulled - Waveform - Played through two worlds (Pluto and Neptune). It was an interesting concept for a game, but when things got more challenging, I found it more frustrating than I did fun. The fact that I couldn't perfect the very first level after 5 tries also made me hate the game a little.

Nulled - Legend of Fae - To be honest I liked this game, despite it being a little slow at the start. I played through the first world. I probably would have played to the end if it hadn't been for the game-breaking lag. It would start out fast enough, but by the end of the level it would be annoyingly slow. I had to restart the game every level just to make it playable. I don't think I can do that for an entire playthrough.

Edit: Although the third game I tried, Big Bang Racing, is a keeper. I'm going to keep playing that one :) It's reminiscent of R.C. Pro-Am.

Gilgamesh fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Oct 25, 2012

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Went through another round of shorter games.

Vessel: Really liked this one a lot though I seem to recall people were complaining about it, but I don't remember why. I suppose it is a little buggy at times, but nothing too bad, and the puzzles were for the most part well done and challenging / satisfying. Music was great too. Never found a use for any of the upgraded nozzles, though.

Wizorb: Dull, but I shouldn't have expected anything else. I did beat it since it's really short and easy but I feel like I shouldn't have spent 3 hours on an Arkanoid clone to begin with (at least one that isn't Shatter).

AVSEQ: This is decent fun but seems very barebones, there isn't much to it. I didn't notice a difference between the levels other than the crystals dropping a little quicker and the note goal set higher. Visually it felt a little cluttered, and in the later levels it actively got in the way in the sense that the clutter could obscure the falling crystals, causing you to lose notes. Mediocre.

Trine 2: More of the same but longer and prettier. Much prettier. Maybe one of the prettiest games I've played. I played it solo but I can see how co-op could be loads of fun as well. I might actually come back to this later to collect more experience / secrets, and will keep an eye out for a sale on the DLC.

I've also made some good progress on SpaceChem over the past few weeks, going from "No Employment Record Found", where I was stuck for a really long time (can't believe it, it was stupidly easy), to "Suspicious Behavior". I genuinely think this is one of the best games I've ever played, potentially in the top 5, and I will beat it. It is brilliant.

Next up: To the Moon, then Blackwell Deception... and then maybe I can finally get around to Crysis.

BobFossil
Jun 17, 2005

Note to self: I hate whites.
Giving away a guest pass for Killing Floor, first one to quote with steam name wins it.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

BobFossil posted:

Giving out booze at an AA meeting
Get the hell out of here.

BobFossil
Jun 17, 2005

Note to self: I hate whites.

Pierzak posted:

Get the hell out of here.

i only have one friend and it gave me two passes :smith:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Give it to the gifting thread then. We're trying to get rid of our backlogs here :colbert:

Sammich
Sep 30, 2012

I mean, what else am I gonna do? I sit up here and I read the labels. Light goes on... Light goes off... That's pretty much my day.
Speaking of backlogs, I'm Sammich and my backloggery is here:

Edit: Playing through Freespace 2 because yeah spaceships!

Edit Edit: :ohdear: Link fix'd. It won't happen again. I hope.

Sammich fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Oct 27, 2012

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I think I'm just going to move Alpha Protocol to my "shameful" category. I've beaten it twice on the consoles and wanted to give it another shot on the PC by going a straight up dick route but honestly not that much changes and the gameplay is way worse than I remember. I'm almost to the end and after dying to Darcy five times in a row I just don't give a gently caress about this awful game any more.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Sammich posted:

Edit: Playing through Freespace 2 because yeah spaceships!

Freespace 2 is so good it killed the space sim genre because nobody wanted to compete with it.

FAKE EDIT: Also your backloggery link is broken. You should remove the / at the end. The rest of the backlog looks like it has a decent mix of good stuff (like Costume Quest and Fallout 3) questionable stuff with good bits (like Magicka and Mirror's Edge).

Sammich
Sep 30, 2012

I mean, what else am I gonna do? I sit up here and I read the labels. Light goes on... Light goes off... That's pretty much my day.

ManxomeBromide posted:

Freespace 2 is so good it killed the space sim genre because nobody wanted to compete with it.

FAKE EDIT: Also your backloggery link is broken. You should remove the / at the end. The rest of the backlog looks like it has a decent mix of good stuff (like Costume Quest and Fallout 3) questionable stuff with good bits (like Magicka and Mirror's Edge).

Yeah there's no game of shame in here as far as I remember. Left Daikatana in the dollar bin... But yeah, I'm actually looking forward to this. I'll finally be one of those guys who finishes games!

Sammich fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Oct 27, 2012

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

I finally admitted to myself that I have a problem today when I opened a Desura account and just based on the keys I had laying around in places I could recall, my "play" list was instantly populated with 41 games (lucky, too, one more game and I would have laughed it off).

Saw this thread and got excited. The solution was staring me in the face. I wasn't always this way. I was the most dedicated completionist I knew. That stopped four years ago when Steam started delivering games to me faster than I could consume them (especially since I play physically retail games a lot more commonly), and game worlds (not lengths) started becoming excruciatingly massive. Anyway, time to get back to my roots, one game at a time.

So, to every psychologist who says publicizing your progress and goals are self-fulfilling prophecies, I'm taking your research very seriously:

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Beat: Sleeping Dogs. 25 hours long, looks good, engaging story without being too original. Took a lot of the elements of other sandbox games and mashed them up quite well. I especially enjoyed the unarmed fighting. Well worth the time.

Beat: Spec Ops: The Line. Decent gameplay, very good looking, actually stunning relative to the framerate I got on max settings. It took just under 7 hours and that length suited it just fine. Everyone raves about the story and how it subverts the standard military shooter. The story is very good and I basically looked like :stare: for the entire last act. I doubt it'll be mentioned often 20 years from now but I think it's well worth playing if you have the time.

On with Shift 2 now and it's the closest thing to GT/Forza the PC will have for a while. It throws money at you so much that it's basically unlimited quite early in but all the other cars match your performance class so it's not trivially easy. I like it enough that I'll do everything other than the hateful drift challenges with seem to be in every racing game now.

Mummy Brigade
Sep 12, 2004

Jeez. You're kind of a bitch.
I have a problem. I buy games constantly but can never sit myself down to actually play them for more than a couple of days at a time. I've set myself a challenge in the form of letting Backloggery choose my game to play and trying to beat it in two weeks time.

This session's chosen game is Torchlight II. To further add to the randomness, I had random.org choose a number for me to decide my character class. Will be starting and hopefully completing this game as a Berserker.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Walton Simons posted:

On with Shift 2 now and it's the closest thing to GT/Forza the PC will have for a while. It throws money at you so much that it's basically unlimited quite early in but all the other cars match your performance class so it's not trivially easy. I like it enough that I'll do everything other than the hateful drift challenges with seem to be in every racing game now.

Get the Caterham as soon as possible as it's not only a great car but a loving blast to drive. I used that for more of the game than any other car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Beat Torchlight II. Was fun, not sure if I'm gonna go through new game+. Think I'd be better off making a new character, or waiting til Steam Workshop supports come and someone uploads a respec potion.

Beat Hotline Miami this morning after buying it last night. Really enjoying it, going after the achievements now.