Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Shimrod posted:

Its something Rossi came up with ages ago and is used as a way to freak out the other riders. (I think).

I thought it was a bit more air resistance. That leg ain't doin' any more shiftin' better use it as an air brake!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Linedance posted:

I've just been watching a little MotoGP, and a lot of riders stick their leg out almost dirt-bike/sumo style before they get to the corner. They put their foot back on the peg and do the normal knee down thing in the corner. What's the deal with that? Just balancing the bike or something?

Supposed to alter c of g under braking and then also help shift bodyweight into the corner at turn in.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

AncientTV posted:

As you can see, the big middle bit where the air flows through is called the venturi, and I was just referencing the side of it near the butterfly valve. The arrow points to where there should be the paper-sized gap.
What do you ride? A quick image search and I can point out the sync screw(s).

I ride a 2010 ninja 250. Thanks for the Googling!

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

KozmoNaut posted:

I think Cornelius has mentioned it a couple of times as well, that sounds like his usual method of adjusting carbs.

Ah, I was wrong, it was indeed Cornelius.

XYLOPAGUS posted:

I ride a 2010 ninja 250. Thanks for the Googling!

The screw with the yellow stripe in the middle.

grunthaas
Mar 4, 2003

The last few times Ive ridden, when Ive stopped and got off the bike a few seconds later theres been a scraping/clunk noise. I originally though it was the side stand moving a bit on the ground as the bike settled. I figured out today that its actually a bolt catching on the hugger as you can see in the pic:

Ive only really been riding this bike for 6 months and it had a chunk out of the hugger when I got, so it seem that this has been happening for a while, although the new noise has only show up in the last week or so.

What does this mean? Its an aftermarket hugger - is it just a rubbish one, or could it be something up with the rear suspension?

(1998/F3 ZX6R by the way)

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

grunthaas posted:

The last few times Ive ridden, when Ive stopped and got off the bike a few seconds later theres been a scraping/clunk noise. I originally though it was the side stand moving a bit on the ground as the bike settled. I figured out today that its actually a bolt catching on the hugger as you can see in the pic:

Ive only really been riding this bike for 6 months and it had a chunk out of the hugger when I got, so it seem that this has been happening for a while, although the new noise has only show up in the last week or so.

What does this mean? Its an aftermarket hugger - is it just a rubbish one, or could it be something up with the rear suspension?

(1998/F3 ZX6R by the way)

you mean at the side of it where the hydraulic line goes into the shock reservoir and is clearly rubbing off it?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I'd space the shock reservoir out slightly more with some washers or rubber or something and then see if the sound goes away.

grunthaas
Mar 4, 2003

Yep, when Id looked at it before it seemed a lot further away. Kind of looked like you'd need to have loads of weight on the bike for the bolt to get anywhere near the hugger, but that pic is from today after a ride with no weight on the bike.

The shock reservoir is on a plastic/rubber mount, so it must be getting pushed to the side then the bolt catches.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Saga posted:

Supposed to alter c of g under braking and then also help shift bodyweight into the corner at turn in.

You can also use it when backing-in on the back brake to save it if you overcook it, although you'd have to be pretty lucky not to just rip your leg off.

TBH I think it's main advantage is stopping some cheeky bastard out-braking you. The corners they use the technique on (slow entry after a long straight) are almsot inevitably

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

AncientTV posted:

Ah, I was wrong, it was indeed Cornelius.

You spoke my name and awoke me from the dead.

You will regret this.

Now ask me about bench-synchronizing carburetors with Rizla joint cigarette paper and also ask me why a check with vacuum gauges will only tell you what intake boot leaks the most.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Sir Cornelius posted:

You will regret this.

Now ask me about bench-synchronizing carburetors with Rizla joint cigarette paper and also ask me why a check with vacuum gauges will only tell you what intake boot leaks the most.

Please tell me more about bench synching carbs with weed paper.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

Sir Cornelius posted:

You will regret this.

Now I'm going to get sage advice concerning the purchase of any '70s RD in the form of a thinly veiled rant/insult train, halp :ohdear:

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

n8r posted:

Before you get all exciting about synching the carbs is it exhibiting any characteristics of needing it? I wouldn't even bother doing a valve adjustment until it becomes hard to start.

If he adjusts the valves, then he needs to do the carb synch. Changing the valve clearances affects the intake vacuum, so carbs that were in synch before, will not be after the adjustment.

Sure, he could skip that step and just see if there are symptoms prompting a carb synch (e.g., engine vibration issues, funky sounding idle, etc.), but why gently caress around?

If you are only adjusting the valves and not disrupting the carb slides/butterflies, then you can probably skip bench synching them with cig paper. Just do a vacuum synch.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone replaced a stator on a Honda Shadow before, and if so what do you recommend? I'm seeing prices range from $90 new on eBay, to $140 on motosport.com, and $320 on cheapcycleparts.com. I'm still having charging problems after replacing the stock regulator with a Mosfet R/R and having the battery load tested, and the only thing that leaves is the stator. I tested the three wires out of it and I get 6v, 6v, and 4v and I should be at 6 across the board. I didn't think 4v would be enough to make a difference, but I was wrong. I'm charging my battery at about 11.7v after replacing the regulator, up from 9v, but it should be between 12v and 14v.

I'm also having a problem with my left turn signal. The front turn signals run normally as running lights; the rears do not. When I flip my switch to turn left, the front turns off and the rear does not blink. When I reset it, the front comes back on and the rear does not. Turning right causes no issues. I'm thinking it is the turn signal relay, since it dies as soon as I try to turn it on, but I don't really know how to test that short of just replacing the turn signal relay and crossing my fingers.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

americanzero4128 posted:

Has anyone replaced a stator on a Honda Shadow before, and if so what do you recommend? I'm seeing prices range from $90 new on eBay, to $140 on motosport.com, and $320 on cheapcycleparts.com. I'm still having charging problems after replacing the stock regulator with a Mosfet R/R and having the battery load tested, and the only thing that leaves is the stator. I tested the three wires out of it and I get 6v, 6v, and 4v and I should be at 6 across the board. I didn't think 4v would be enough to make a difference, but I was wrong. I'm charging my battery at about 11.7v after replacing the regulator, up from 9v, but it should be between 12v and 14v.

I'm also having a problem with my left turn signal. The front turn signals run normally as running lights; the rears do not. When I flip my switch to turn left, the front turns off and the rear does not blink. When I reset it, the front comes back on and the rear does not. Turning right causes no issues. I'm thinking it is the turn signal relay, since it dies as soon as I try to turn it on, but I don't really know how to test that short of just replacing the turn signal relay and crossing my fingers.

Signal relays cost about $7 at autozone and plug right in, replace and cross fingers is not a bad move.

Your symptoms sound like a wiring or switch problem though. That left switch is crossing with your running light feed somehow, turning the running light into a switched light. If the signal relay failed, you'd have bad results (no blinks, weak blinks, etc.) on both sides I think.

Of course, you have self-canceling signals (e.g. "When I reset it, . . . " So the canceling unit might be tripping things up. I got nothing on self-canceling.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Tire Q's:

My MZ Skorpion Sport comes stock with a 110/70 front tire. It's getting to be replacing time soon. Any good tires that are available in that size? I came up with the Pilot Power and the Conti Attack SM. I actually like having a front tire of this size, but has anybody gone from 110 to 120 and have thoughts on the size change?

My riding is 90% twisties and 10% highway right now, basically no commuting.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
What size is the front rim? If it's a 3.5 inch, at 120 would fit fine on there with no problems with the profile. If it's a 3 inch, I'd probably stick with the 110. I'd go PP in your shoes over the sumo tire which is built for lighter bikes.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Does anyone make a 2-pole solid-state flasher unit? My old hot-metal relay is acting up again and I want to replace it with something more reliable, but no matter how much I google around, everything I can find is the 3-pole variant. I can think how to build a 2-pole flasher with an RC circuit, inverter and a power MOSFET or something, but I'd just as soon buy a manufactured unit if such a thing exists.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

Does anyone make a 2-pole solid-state flasher unit? My old hot-metal relay is acting up again and I want to replace it with something more reliable, but no matter how much I google around, everything I can find is the 3-pole variant. I can think how to build a 2-pole flasher with an RC circuit, inverter and a power MOSFET or something, but I'd just as soon buy a manufactured unit if such a thing exists.

Any damned Autozone/Oreilley's will have something like that. It's about $13-25, depending. I know - I have purchased many two-prong solid-state flashers for when I convert motorcycles to LEDs, as some LED setups won't trigger thermal flashers.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Tamir Lenk posted:

Signal relays cost about $7 at autozone and plug right in, replace and cross fingers is not a bad move.

Your symptoms sound like a wiring or switch problem though. That left switch is crossing with your running light feed somehow, turning the running light into a switched light. If the signal relay failed, you'd have bad results (no blinks, weak blinks, etc.) on both sides I think.

Of course, you have self-canceling signals (e.g. "When I reset it, . . . " So the canceling unit might be tripping things up. I got nothing on self-canceling.

Thanks. Does it not matter that the relay isn't for a motorcycle then? If that's the case I'll pick one up and work on it this weekend, since according to the manual the gas tank has to come off to get to the relay. I read that the turn signal switch goes out on these bikes, but I didn't think it was that since the right turn signal still works. I think I'll try to track down the turn signal switch assembly as well and see what kind of a pain it will be to replace that as well. Really weird, my bike had sat for a week, maybe two, it worked before I parked it, and after I parked it, it stopped working.

My motorcycle is getting loving expensive to fix.

Edit - just ordered a new stator, $140 with free shipping and I'll have it by Thursday. Unfortunately I won't be able to get a new turn signal switch by this weekend, so I might try taking it apart and seeing if there's anything I can do, clean up connections, make sure there's no uninsulated wires, all that good stuff. Maybe I can get out without having to spend $75 on the turn signal switch poo poo.

americanzero4128 fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 15, 2012

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Tire Q's:

My MZ Skorpion Sport comes stock with a 110/70 front tire. It's getting to be replacing time soon. Any good tires that are available in that size? I came up with the Pilot Power and the Conti Attack SM. I actually like having a front tire of this size, but has anybody gone from 110 to 120 and have thoughts on the size change?

My riding is 90% twisties and 10% highway right now, basically no commuting.

They may be being or may have already been phased out, but both the Dunlop GPR Alpha/Alfa/AL-10 (no-one can seem to agree on this, possibly because they use the Greek alpha on the tyre?) and BT090 are sports tyres designed for lightweight, lower-powered road bikes. E.g. 400 race reps. BT090 definitely still available in 110.

e.g.

http://www.oponeo.co.uk/moto-tyre/dunlop-gpr-alfa-10
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dunlop-GPR-AL-10F-120-70-R-17-front-motorcycle-tyre-Free-fit-wheel-Leeds-/310359807212

e: my NC23 came with a set of the Alpha 10s - very good rubber and worked extremely well on track. Especially when you consider the bike was designed in the 1980s and still had the original 18" rear.

Saga fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 15, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Geirskogul posted:

Any damned Autozone/Oreilley's will have something like that. It's about $13-25, depending. I know - I have purchased many two-prong solid-state flashers for when I convert motorcycles to LEDs, as some LED setups won't trigger thermal flashers.

Huh, I tried Autozone and the people there acted like I was asking for a flux capacitor. I'll keep looking around I guess, but it seems really bizarre that I can't find one for sale online, either.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I'm confused. Also, Autozone.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

To be fair, if you put in any zip code that comes up as a "Special Order Only" item, not available in-store.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

All you need is something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Technologies-Flasher-Relay-Electronic-24-0001/dp/B000WPEYFA/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_21

or this

http://www.amazon.com/Terminal-Signal-Flasher-Switch-Electronic/dp/B004O1YTLW/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_1

Dunno about the AutoZone site, but in the store they are in the aisle with fuses and poo poo. $10 and your done.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

AncientTV posted:

Now I'm going to get sage advice concerning the purchase of any '70s RD in the form of a thinly veiled rant/insult train, halp :ohdear:

Sage advise about '70s RDs is "Don't".

The good RDs are 350 and 500 '80-83 and LCII YPVS.

While you twist your brain and really consider asking me why that is a fact, I'll try to figure out an appropriate insult and/or insult-train ;)

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
That's apt, because I know nothing of RDs beyond that they're two-stroke and apparently very entertaining.

I guess if I ever get one, I'll now know what years to look for :v:

edit:
That kind of disclaimer needs to come before I watch an hours worth of old racing vids vvv

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 16, 2012

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

You mean you'll know which years aren't available in the states :xd:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sir Cornelius posted:

Sage advise about '70s RDs is "Don't".

The good RDs are 350 and 500 '80-83 and LCII YPVS.

While you twist your brain and really consider asking me why that is a fact, I'll try to figure out an appropriate insult and/or insult-train ;)

Aircooled RD's are still awesome :colbert:

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Aircooled RD's are still awesome :colbert:

This is not a question about awesome. Awesome isn't good enough when something is More Awesomer(tm)

Z3n posted:

You mean you'll know which years aren't available in the states

Dang. A bit of research tells me you are correct. Silly Americans. I guess the 60Hp RD350 fun is out of the question for you then.

However, it seems like the second best, the 50Hp Brazilian made 1984 RD350R YPVS LCII is available in the US. The only thing that differs from the Japanese/European 1983 is the weight (just throw the fairing to hell), the ECU (get an EU ecu, yeah 60Hp) and the kind of lovely steel used for the frame (reinforce lower left corner of the engine cage).

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Z3n posted:

You mean you'll know which years aren't available in the states :xd:

Damnit.

Dzus
Jun 18, 2007

I have had people walk out on me before, but not... when I was being so charming.
My friend's buddy at work is a machinist. He told him that anything I want machined for my bike, its mine. So aside from everything, what would look cool/still be safe made out of billet or possibly titanium? I was thinking of the rear brake lever and shifter, possibly the triple trees?

Every time I see the guy I feel bad because he excitedly asks if there's anything I want made for it and I never have good ideas. :(

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Relax now. The '84 R should be available just about every where. The Brazilian factory that produced them, spit them out like bees.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Dzus posted:

My friend's buddy at work is a machinist. He told him that anything I want machined for my bike, its mine. So aside from everything, what would look cool/still be safe made out of billet or possibly titanium? I was thinking of the rear brake lever and shifter, possibly the triple trees?

Every time I see the guy I feel bad because he excitedly asks if there's anything I want made for it and I never have good ideas. :(

What kind of bike?

Dzus
Jun 18, 2007

I have had people walk out on me before, but not... when I was being so charming.

Tamir Lenk posted:

What kind of bike?

1984 Honda VF500F. I don't think he can machine a magical "Make it work" button though. :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Get him to make you some rearsets to start with...sit on the bike, figure out where your feet would feel most natural, and have him make something that moves the pegs to there.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Z3n posted:

Get him to make you some rearsets to start with...sit on the bike, figure out where your feet would feel most natural, and have him make something that moves the pegs to there.

gently caress yes, this.

If you are doing any frame or style mods (e.g., cafe, bobber, etc.), get him to make loads of stuff like seat pans, electrics trays, etc.

Dzus
Jun 18, 2007

Forgive my ignorance here, by rearsets, you mean the upside down black googly boogly bracket thing here:

I'm not sure I really want to change the riding position, I can grip the tank pretty comfortably with my knees as it stands,and shifting them back would only seem to interfere with the exhaust, so they'd have to go up as well. I was thinking of having him redo the brackets. I only have a spare one of the right side, though. Maybe I'll send these with him and see what the guy says.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Dzus posted:

Forgive my ignorance here, by rearsets, you mean the upside down black googly boogly bracket thing here:

I'm not sure I really want to change the riding position, I can grip the tank pretty comfortably with my knees as it stands,and shifting them back would only seem to interfere with the exhaust, so they'd have to go up as well. I was thinking of having him redo the brackets. I only have a spare one of the right side, though. Maybe I'll send these with him and see what the guy says.

Yeah those. You can have him make "downsets" too, which is a popular mod among the older crowd on sportbikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You should get him to make you some totally badass brake and clutch levers with, like, big metal scythes on them, and spikes and poo poo. And a tailgunner exhaust, except the barrels are all skulls.

(whatever you get him to make, do toss him a six-pack or something after every job, cause that's definitely a relationship you want to keep up. especially if he can source and work with exotic metals like titanium.)