Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oppenheimer
Dec 26, 2011

by Smythe
I didn't play for long, but it was okay, seened like a game you could really sperg on if you wanted. Lots of detail.

Nothing to lose, it was 10 bucks a year ago so its not a big investment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Oppenheimer posted:

I didn't play for long, but it was okay, seened like a game you could really sperg on if you wanted. Lots of detail.

Nothing to lose, it was 10 bucks a year ago so its not a big investment.

The garage is the most fun in the game, but single player only gives you a fraction of the parts you have in multiplayer. A good idea of the Chromehounds experience was spending an hour rotating and attaching various sizes of spacers so I had a bipedal Hound with a smoke launcher positioned like a penis.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Wild T posted:

bipedal Hound with a smoke launcher positioned like a penis.
Now I'm even sadder to have missed this.

nubdestoryer
Sep 15, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

bucketmouse posted:

^ He tricked the admin into typing an admin command that removes the admin privileges of 'me' (aka the person typing the command)

E: Whoops yeah that was supposed to be @take_it_slow but you beat me by two minutes.

I can't stop laughing at this exchange. Holy poo poo. We really need more MUD stories considering how often really terribly gamebreaking bugs slip through the cracks in them.

Also worth noting:

Coming from a history of MUDS where gods had a habit of redefining the bottom of the purple prose barrel every time they used emotes, this is amazing.

I used to play a mud called Alter Aeon. I chose it because it was at the top of the alphabetically sorted mud list. However I ended up playing for 5 years while in high school and college, regularly getting frozen (temporarily banned) for exploiting bugs or other trouble. It was a hard mud - the final 20 levels could each take months at a time to grind, griefing was a welcome distraction.

One that springs to mind was the first time I ever got frozen:

The Torment of Tim
A new area was added to the game called the "MUD factory" full of wierd and quirky monsters, including a few that were named after famous players. One of these was a guy called Tim, a notoriously stupid player often involved in flame wars. Tim was recreated in this mud factory, a low level monster for all to kill, fulfulling many player's dreams. (tim wasnt that bad in reality).

Well one night on Alter Aeon, players started reporting Tim saying wierd things to them over PMs. Over public channels out of nowhere people started telling him to get lost and stop messaging them. People were copy/pasting things like:
Malcolm gossips, 'Tim tells you, 'Lets have gay drill machine saw rope fire swivel bum sex""
Poor Tim acted confused, while everyone laughed at him finally going crazy. The admins eventually intervened, warning him to stop, and freezing him when he didn't.

I had gone to the mud factory and used the "charm" spell on the Tim-monster, a cleric spell making a monster do anything I command. The monster could PM people, so I started making it send ridiculous tells (mostly declarations of love, hey I was 14) to random players (difficult because I had no way of seeing if the players then responded to Tim-monster).

Stupidely as soon I found out Tim was frozen, I went on the public channels laughing about what I had done, and so the admins froze me instead :( The "Tim" monster was renamed to "not-tim", and the charm spell nerfed.

Over the years charm got nerfed more and more. Technically mobs had access to all the commands a player had, they could do anything. The one limit was they would not attack players because player death to monsters resulted in you dropping all your equipment and gold.

What followed were more and more creative methods to circumvent this limitation:
-Making charmed monsters hide in rooms, and tricking players into casting area spells.
-Taking a weak monster and giving it good equipment and spell buffs.

and what got me permanently banned:
The great monkey recall invasion
There was a mid ranged area called The Kingdom of Kookien. A jungle monkey kingdom - I noticed the monsters there were weak yet hit fairly hard. One saturday I went there, and for hours I patiently charmed a horde of gorillas, creating a legion of 30+ under my command. These guys were weak - low HP, but they hit hard and cast spells. I made them all invisible, and led my army back to the main entrance to the mud, a room everyone logged in at, recalled to, and respawned at.

My army was ready and hidden, but they wouldnt just start killing people.
I had a workaround: First I aggro them all myself. Immediately after, before I could die, cast "mass confuse". This makes monsters go crazy, randomly changing their target. It worked perfectly, the monkeys started randomly attacking other players. Players were getting massacred instantly. Then they respawned in the very same room. My invisible gorilla army was killing people over and over. The text combat was so spammy that no one had a clue what was going on. I meanwhile kept my army healed and tried to stop them attacking each other.

It was a beautiful scene, equivalent to spawning hidden dragons in Stormwind, WoW. But it got out of control. I realised I had no way of stopping this army and players couldnt get to teach other to team up. After ten minutes, an admin noticed the clusterfuck and rebooted the mud, basically restarting the server. This stopped my army. But, it also wiped everything laying on the floor at the time of the reboot - including all the players equipment. Anyone who died and hadn't recovered their equipment, poof it was no gone. In ten minutes my emotions had ranged from "this is hillarious" to "wtf is going on" to "oh poo poo this is hosed" to "oh god they're going to kill me".

I dont know how it was solved, I got permabanned afterwards.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!
I love MUD stories. Something about them seems to bring out a more creative style of griefing. Although, nothing will ever top the story about stealing a married couple's baby and sticking it in a vending machine. No I'm not going to look it up for you.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

nubdestoryer posted:

The great monkey recall invasion

Seriously? You had the perfect opportunity to call it Monkey Business.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

HoldYourFire posted:

I love MUD stories. Something about them seems to bring out a more creative style of griefing. Although, nothing will ever top the story about stealing a married couple's baby and sticking it in a vending machine. No I'm not going to look it up for you.

This is mostly because MUD communities are loving weird and mostly awful, it is absolutely stunning how people will spend days on writing up their ~personal description~ and then cry endlessly when their anime hairstyle doesn't stop your griefing fist from smashing their skull in and stealing their stuff.

Edit: the game mechanics do allow for a certain degree of fuckery that you don't get elsewhere, though. Have a thing: http://pastebin.com/p9km6sT7

The 'wristpad radio' spam is due to the fact that I was watching the landing pad with a remote camera. The player, Myth, was exploiting the fact that you could bolt furniture into planes you owned in order to prevent thieves(like me) from flying off with them. So, we exploited the fact that you could install detonators in planes you don't own.

Dex fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 14, 2012

rldmoto
Oct 17, 2011

What mud was that?

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

HoldYourFire posted:

Sonny_Crockett posted:

I used to play on a MUD, actually a MOO, with a cyberpunk theme. The MOO had the usual division between PKers and RPers, and a lot of griefing of the latter by the former. The best griefing I ever saw on there took place as a result of a wedding staged by the RPers. This seems to be a running theme in online multiplayer games.

Players could create any kind of nonfunctional item out of a basic 'cloth' object, you'd customize the details of the object for when other people looked at it, or set emotes that could be triggered by it, but no actual code was allowed. So you couldn't create a working gun, but you could create one that when you pulled the trigger, everyone in the room would see a flag come out and go 'bang', etc. One of the roleplayers had created a baby for herself, built out of the generic cloth object. She was getting married to her in-game 'baby daddy'. The wedding was crashed by a PK street gang, and they slaughtered the wedding party. The good bit is; they stole the bride's baby and put it in a vending machine on the main drag, priced at something approaching the sum total of all the money in the economy. So every time the RPer's logged in, they pretty much had to walk past their own child staring out at them from a vending machine.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

rldmoto posted:

What mud was that?

HellMOO's successor, Hell: After The End. Unfortunately both games are now pretty dead/uninteresting, HellMOO is consensual PVP only and H:ATE is run by an admin who lost his mind and started banning players en masse while babbling about being an empath. Last time I heard anything from H:ATE, a couple of newbie-killing players were busy stockpiling weapons and stuff awaiting the eventual return of The Goons, despite the fact that half of us are banned and the other half quit in disgust.

KimJongUnstoppable
Sep 18, 2010

Juche Lyfe 4 Ever!

Dex posted:

HellMOO's successor, Hell: After The End. Unfortunately both games are now pretty dead/uninteresting, HellMOO is consensual PVP only and H:ATE is run by an admin who lost his mind and started banning players en masse while babbling about being an empath. Last time I heard anything from H:ATE, a couple of newbie-killing players were busy stockpiling weapons and stuff awaiting the eventual return of The Goons, despite the fact that half of us are banned and the other half quit in disgust.

I logged in recently, just to see what was going on, and found myself evicted and my bank account empty despite having last logged out with well over a million bucks to my name. I'm guessing that my poo poo was cleared out, because there is no way my rent ate that all up in the short time between when I last logged in to demute and that time. I did talk a lot of poo poo about Morgan LeFey last time I logged in, so maybe that had something to do with it, because from what I hear Mada is playing favorites with that whole group now.

If they're expecting us to come back, they're idiots. The game was being made unplayable, and then they started banning people who killed their friends. Now when you log in the only person on is Morgan and he's even idle for hours at that point.

drat shame. I'll never forget how much fun it was to kill someone and eat their corpse. :911:

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

I always felt it sort of incredible that so many people saw the Goons as this malevolent internet force out to ruin everyone's fun. People exaggerate the apparently terrible poo poo we do and essentially turn us into the Snidely Whiplashes of video games.

That being said it is pretty funny to see a guy lose his poo poo over a video game.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

KimJongUnstoppable posted:

If they're expecting us to come back, they're idiots.

Well, a couple of players did happen to "leak" the fact that I'm coming back any day now. Y'know, because I can totally be hosed to proxy up and play a dead text game.

Captain Tolerable posted:

I always felt it sort of incredible that so many people saw the Goons as this malevolent internet force out to ruin everyone's fun. People exaggerate the apparently terrible poo poo we do and essentially turn us into the Snidely Whiplashes of video games.

That being said it is pretty funny to see a guy lose his poo poo over a video game.

To be somewhat fair to the denizens of HellMOO, we did routinely pull stunts like dragging incinerators into player apartments and camping out, slowly burning everything they owned, just because they'd page you after a death with "heh, whatever, i have way more stuff at home so idc, human being". Mind you, we did this to idiot goons also so it's not like having a forums account made you immune to grief.

The sad part is, we were the ones who actually did, y'know, anything. After the Mindflayer mutation was released(inflicting mental illnesses on other players), one of the admins made a mental illness in my honour called Irish Republicanism. It debuffed the target's Brains, but made them pretty Cool and slightly more skilled with bombs and guns. Also, if they weren't drunk, they'd get stressed out and eventually kill themselves. I went around recruiting everybody I could find into the IRA, which either amused or infuriated people depending. The only non-goon Mindflayer was busy scrambling his own brains because he couldn't figure out how the mutation worked. Welp.

Actually the mindflayer mutation in and of itself was absolutely one of the funniest things I've played with in any game.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Wild T posted:

Speaking of dead games, Chromehounds was an amazing game to grief in. For those who never tried it, it was Armored Core on steroids - you could jam robot parts together like legos and force a number of mechanical abominations to stagger around the battlefield with immersive physics. I joined late in the game's life, and had none of the expensive parts required to make one of the 'standard' builds, so I decided to make SmokeBot.

What players started doing was taking advantage that all the maps were the same and would know that if I use this machine setup and i have these guns and aim at a couple of inches below the sun, all my shots will land on the bunker. If the bunker is destroyed, then the other team loses.

Some bots were built to be griefy and the metagame changed to suit them.

One was a very fast mobile machine like the person above said, but instead of smokes and mines, it used things called Piledrivers. What these weapons were were point blank MASSIVE damage weapons. Usually useless. But if you remember that the other team lost when the bunker was destroyed, then you can kind of come up with a basic plan.

1) Make PileBot
2) Drive directly to enemy Bunker at a million miles per hour.
3) Pile the gently caress out of it for 20-30 seconds
4) Win game

The meta changed so that people started leaving back one guy to protect the bunker from these rushes but then the PileBots started waiting far away until the guard thought one wasn't coming. Then people started leaving a guard behind until they had a full-enemy head count confirming that no rush was coming. Then people started making fake pilebots to lock a person back at their bunker to defend a rush that would never come.

The second grief then was the first set of DLC weapons (I still remember amazed at what I was doing since at the time pulling out a credit card to pay for e-items was so strange. Seems so normal now). Crap crap crap EXCEPT for one. I would like to say it made the game hilarious but dumb at the same time. I still remembered the name of it and the only reason I could find it on Youtube

The Double Double

The DLC item was a huge Navy artillery gun. There were different legs for the bots in Chromehounds and this gun was built for the more stable, but slower, four legged bots. If the gun was attempted to be fired from any other chassis, the recoil from the weapon would send the shot in a completely different direction.

Since the recoil angle and power were rendered in the game, the Double Artillery x 2 could be fitted on an Inverse Legged chassis in a way so that when both were fired at the same time the recoil from both guns would cancel each other out causing for a very predictable shot.

You set up the guns on both sides of the main chassis and linked them together so they would fire at the same time. What you got was four shots coming out where if any hit would cause disturbing amounts of damage. The pilots didn't care most of them missed, but if one hit the enemy would be hosed up.

Here's a video which I enjoy because I love the person who posted it KNEW how broken it was but his team forced him to use it since every team out there were using it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsR5ql2LTkw

Now enjoy some other silly builds. (why did they have to stop this awesome game :( )

I HATE THE WORLD - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHripd6L8dM
It's not Killer Robots. It's Delivery - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxGlD_A9ng4 (this is a hilarious fight now that I'm watching it again)

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
A classic HellMOO grief was to rent a player apartment in an area with lousy security, fill it with various horrible things such as rods of plutonium, spent fuel rods, and anime wallscrolls; and then put a much better lock on the inside than the outside. It's a nasty surprise to anyone who was out robbing newbie apartments. Or anyone who hits you up wanting some plutonium. "Sure, it's in there, go on ahead" and then just close the door on him. If you're standing outside it, they can't even pick the inside lock because you can just open and shut the door on them before they can get out, which resets their pick progress.

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW
As a person who played HellMOO only to gently caress with other players after the initial novelty had worn off, I wound up spending a lot of time trying to invent ways to grief.

this one time where i robbed people using the police

HellMOO didn't have levels outside of skills, but every X amount of experience on a parabolic scale allowed you to get a new ability through a mutation system, if you found the spot for it in the game world. There is/was a mutation called Hideous Freak that was geared toward griefers, in that it massively increased your Focus skill (which allowed you to better use certain mutations like Writhing Smoke, which stunned everything in the room you were in and let you come/go unnoticed, even by enemies in combat with you) and prevented you from entering "civilized" areas. The main city, called Freedom City, had cameras everywhere linked up to a robotic police force that would chase down and kill you if you entered. An extremely high Sneak skill (like, 50s, which was literally impossible when this took place) would allow you to bypass the cameras, but at that point the police were kind of psychic and would find you even if you weren't in a room with a camera.

Anyway, there was an exploit I discovered with the Hideous Freak's Scare ability. What Scare did was, if any player/NPC happened to be in the same room as you and was not completely immune to it (coincidentally, only robots, including the FCPD, were immune), inflict the fear status effect. An inflicted creature would temporarily lose levels in stats/skills and have a chance at running out of the room.

On the outskirts of Freedom City, there was an area called Slagtown that was as lawless as the wilderness areas and just happened to have a massive apartment complex called the Bradbury Hotel that filled out when the Freedom City apartments were full, or acted as more storage for people living in FC (jerks). The complex had its own security force which was hilariously weak and didn't link up with the FCPD in any way, so it was a prime target for robbery.

One day, while I was dicking around and robbing people with my corporation (guild, essentially, that let you take on contracts to actually make money in the game), I found out that two of the Bradbury security guards were affected by my Scare. This may not seem like a big deal, but the kicker is that all security guards are able to open any lock in the game in order to get into places where criminal players are hiding out and kill them, either to send them to the game's jail or force them out of the area. You might see where this is going.

One day I went into the Bradbury equipped only with a spoon, so that I wouldn't kill the security during my robbery. The police forces worked on a "star" system, where two stars sent the lowest-strength guys after you and ramped up the more stars you acquired. Any criminal act on camera gave you a number of stars -- one for grabbing a non-hostile or non-criminal player or NPC, two for attacking a locked door, four for attacking a player or NPC, and six or eight for a kill. I attacked an apartment door to draw the two Scare-able guards to me, then proceeded to force them to unlock multiple apartments for me to rob.

After doing this, I sat on it for another couple days while formulating a plan. At around this time, each floor of an apartment building had a directory that showed you which players lived there (removed a while later, requiring a little more planning to find targets). I went through every floor in the Bradbury and copied down every non-vacant apartment, and ranked each by how many items I expected the player to own. I spent the next week working with another member of my corporation to systematically break into the apartments of target players and steal everything they owned, but only to a maximum of three players a day.

Shortly after that, I was banned and had my IP temporarily blacklisted for exploiting. Perhaps ironically, after I discovered the "exploit" and during my planning phase, I had asked one of the head administrators if it was a bug and if I would get in trouble for doing this. He told me no, and to go ahead with it. Seriously. I had a bit of a melt-down episode after the ban because holy poo poo what a dick, but I cooled down after posting a massive (and in hindsight hilarious + stupid) rant. I would have been completely fine if I hadn't asked and hadn't been given the OK.

Later I found out from an admin pal that the guy who told me it was okay admitted to being drunk off his rear end and thinking it was hilarious at the time, but completely 180'd on the subject after sobering up. Also I'm pretty sure this only happened because I robbed another admin's player character and he threw a fit about it.

newbie robbery ~ no griefing allowed

HellMOO had a "newbie" system, where every player would be considered a newbie (and be given a green N next to their name) until they earned 5,000 experience. Griefing newbies was a bannable offense, unless it was obvious that the character was an alt of an older player. Regardless, only the most hardcore of goons would actually be willing to do anything to an N player. "Griefing" was whatever an admin said it was, and this varied between each one, but a constant was that you couldn't kill an N player twice within 24 hours. So obviously I created a new character just to rob people and get away with it.

Two mutations were key to this: Brute Strength, which gave you 3 extra strength (increased damage, but most importantly carry weight); and Bloodhound, which gave you +4 to the track skill and +2 senses. Track allowed you to track down online players in the area no matter how far away from them you were, and Bloodhound increased your chances of that working. You got one mutation at 0 XP and another at 3500, so this kept me within the N range.

I went around to each apartment complex and tracked players into their apartments. After finding where they lived, I sat outside their door and waited for them to leave, then raced inside and closed the door. I had two triggers for this:

The door to apartment * swings open. // go %1 // This let me enter an apartment even when afk because sitting around doing nothing is boring.
The door out swings open. // close out // This was 100% the best way to rob apartments, ever. Opening locked doors took, like, 5 seconds to do and this would instantly close the door as soon as it opened, keeping the owner outside and forcing them into a loop unless they manually stopped trying to get in.

Sometimes the owner would leave as soon as I entered, and completely miss me coming in, leaving me free to rob with impunity. Other times they noticed, but they had no way of coming back inside. Since I didn't pick the lock to come in, no security was alerted and they couldn't do anything about it. If they did get back in somehow, they were extremely reluctant to attack me due to my being a "newbie". Owned suckers :cool:

highway robbery

This isn't really inventive, but it took some effort to pull off.

Corporations in HellMOO could have their own stores, where they could sell things that members crafted or found for whatever prices they wanted. Something I tended to do was check the store log and see who recently purchased anything, then go hunt them down and kill them to take it and put it back in the store. They kept shopping there :mmmhmm:

Something else I did to everyone, including members of my own corporation, was offer to sell them something they wanted. When they gave me the money, I either left or gave them the item and killed them to take it back. People wised up eventually but it was fun while it lasted.

Check out this sucker :cool: http://pastebin.com/f757b5528

WEED KILLS

HellMOO had drugs in it. Marijuana was in the game. Consuming a little lowered your stress and made you a little hungry, while consuming a lot made you pass out.

Passing out in or out of combat was a HUGE deal, because anyone could loot your unconscious body and there was nothing you could do about it. If you died in combat, you could buy a "cocoon" item that deployed and rescued some or all of your gear, and only you could open it, though it melted after a couple hours and dropped all your stuff on the ground. So you'd think you could somehow force someone to smoke a bunch of joints and take all their stuff, right? Sort of.

There was a preference you could set to automatically smoke any lit cigarette/cigar/joint in your inventory. If you accepted gifts from other players, they could just pass you lit joints and make you pass out. Alternatively, being grabbed by another player let them bypass all your allows, so they could just grab you and force joints into you anyway. There was, however, a better option.

Some time in the game, campfires that you could make out of wood were added. You could feed these campfires with anything, and initially they didn't require any more fuel to keep going. Something you could do was put mountains of weed into the campfire, which burned and let loose a massive cloud of weed smoke. Any player not wearing a gas mask would inhale the smoke and immediately pass out. You could loot all their stuff, then kill them and butcher their corpse so they couldn't be revived from another player. They'd lose everything -- all their gear, any experience they got without updating their clone, and a fat chunk of cash depending on how much exp they had. Also possible was feeding campfires with pills that made players dream. Or set them on fire.

If you didn't have the time to build a campfire right in front of a guy before he got away, there were THC grenades that had the same effect. The funny thing about these was that if a grenade was in your inventory it completely bypassed all resistances you had to its effects or damage. You could light a THC grenade and put it in someone's hands, and they would be knocked out instantly.

other assorted nonsense

1) I became an admin eventually because I thought it would be cool. I got another one banned by one of the heads. On purpose, too!
2) I think this was posted? Some dudes & I made an invincible blimp repeatedly explode and kill a bunch of people http://pastebin.com/f4cd900c8
3) There was an extremely strong enemy (one-hit kill strong) in an area called the Necropolis that didn't aggro on Hideous Freaks. Another Freak player and I pushed this enemy all the way to Freedom City and it repeatedly killed every player that walked past it. Eventually, an admin popped in and removed it. Next day, the enemy was modified to not attack anything if it happened to be outside the Necropolis.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!
I remember you used to follow me around and try to kill/scare/grab me and force me to eat pills all the time. ARACHNOTRON-san <3

Pretty much everyone playing HELLMOO was just playing it to create awesome grief stories.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Heh, the scare thing isn't the only door exploit ARACHNOTRON found. He's also the guy who discovered you could shove people through locked doors. You also used to be able to use a portalgun to get through them as well. A player named Elissia did this and robbed a whole bunch of mansions (mansions being the most expensive kind of player housing, with built in clone tanks and satellite laser security). Then later on I robbed Elissia because she had me on the lock from her apartment for some reason.

My griefing was pretty simple in that game: I liked setting off huge loving bombs everywhere. I had at least one alt banned after I ran into an aircraft that was parked on top of a skyscraper after someone opened the door, then used my complete lack of piloting skills to take off and crash it into the party the admins were throwing there, causing lots of people to explode into gibs.

http://pastebin.com/f21003329
http://pastebin.com/f52d7e7e0

I also set off a nuke at an admin senate meeting (kind of a community get together where the admins talk about upcoming stuff and players can bring up issues). Unfortunately this was set outside of time, where players don't stay dead when they were killed-- so while it temporarily killed a lot of people by reducing them to zero HP, it also set virtually everyone there on fire, causing them to burn to death over and over again. Being revived also reduces your intelligence, which is why a lot of people start immediately talking like they have downs syndrome after the explosion. I got teleported into space for that one :pwn:

http://pastebin.com/9enMCKBt

None of this was really as creative as stuff a lot of other people have done, sadly, but it was reasonably amusing to me at the time.

OrangeSoda
Oct 8, 2007

OrangeSoda digivolved into Monzaemon!

OrangeSoda has unlocked BEAR POWERS!

ARACHNOTRON posted:

HellMOO in a nutshell.

I remember the time that someone tossed all of the weed bricks into the fireplace at goon HQ, literally tons of weed compressed into blocks. Anyone who walked into the main room of our HQ grew so high they fell into a coma.

That game was fun except for when all the intercorp and admin drama happened. I have fond memories of throwing TVs off of the roof of a bar and giving people brain damage, throwing a guy who killed me down the stairs in a crackhouse and stealing all of my stuff AND his back when he was unconscious, tossing someone down a hole in the subsewers where they were torn apart by literal arachnotrons and worse and last but not least eating zombie flesh and shambling into the orphanidge(newbie area) before turning into a powerful zombie.

OrangeSoda fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 15, 2012

CrazyJesus
Jun 6, 2008

ARACHNOTRON posted:

HellMoo stuff

I wish this would come back with somone controlling it who wasn't insane and a huge manchild. It was the only MUD I could tolerate, even though I never did much griefing in it and just mainly won the socks off people playing poker. (Who would then detonate briefcase nukes in a fit of rage after losing half a million.)

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Wayfar is fairly hellmoo style in terms of the people who hang out there, but currently it's little more than the world's largest crafting system.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
I never did do much griefing on HellMOO (that I can recall).

I do remember luring a newbie into my aircraft, flying to Stormfront Island (high-level place filled with dinosaurs and Michael Savage), then shoving him out along with a few supplies, offering him a job in my corporation if he managed to survive.

Plenty of bizarre stuff happened on the admin side of things too. There was the pog-grenade that got stuck in an infinite loop creating pogs, causing the server to slowly grind to a halt.

In a similar vein, one of the other badmins designed a new enemy, a sort of malevolent slime, that would split into two slimes when it was hurt. Of course, it spawned in an area with other monsters as well, and these monsters would attack the slimes, resulting in an infinite growth. (I think the slimes might have attacked each other as well; not sure.) At the same time as this slime debacle, I added proper farts to the game. HellMOO had a generic gas model, and I rewrote the fart command to create a proper (if small) "gas" object whenever someone farted. There wasn't a facility to remove the fart gas from the world, though, so the amount of farts in the world would increase monotonically. I put a meter in Any Port, the central bar, that presented the proportion of slimes compared to farts, and encouraged players to help shore up the fart numbers.

I also once made Gilmore, the head admin, poop his pants whenever someone spoke on Zotnet, the admin-player chat network.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

nubdestoryer posted:

(charm)

I dont know how it was solved, I got permabanned afterwards.

If this is the codebase I think it is, the best grief involving charm involved donating the most valuable weapons or armor you had ( which had the side effect of setting their buy and sell cost to zero, preventing people from just scooping crap out of the donation pit and then selling it), taking them out of the pit, charming a shopkeeper, giving them to him and then dispelling the charm in a particular way that made him soft-reset.

The end result of this was the shopkeeper considering the things you'd given him his inventory, which means he can sell infinite copies of them for their sale price, which in this case is zero because they've been in the donation pit.

I don't think any really good or creative griefs ever came out of it but it was still an item dupe exploit and still kind of funny seeing level ones running around with endgame quest gear.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Dex posted:

Actually the mindflayer mutation in and of itself was absolutely one of the funniest things I've played with in any game.

Wait, what the gently caress? Mindflayer actually got released? I remember being so enamored with the mental illness system that I made Mindflayer to spread the joy, but Gilmore thought it was a pointless griefing-mutation. In fairness, it didn't much more to the victim than spam text and stat debuffs, which isn't that interesting as griefing goes.

I just remember another shining griefing moment from HellMOO's proud history. I was not personally involved apart from finding it really funny (I had become an admin by that point).

There was this new corporation that was growing really fast, mostly by efficiently mobilizing newbies. Their leader was some guy whose name I can't remember, but let's call him Creator. In HellMOO, players could go into the Matrix and build their own areas as personal homes, using tools much like what was used to make the game itself. Creator had used these tools to build a new HQ for his corporation (the area itself was utterly hilariously bizarre, but that's a story for another time) and had begun the process of moving the corporate possessions from the old HQ to the new one.

Now, one of the most prized possessions of a HellMOO corporation was their research simulators - extremely expensive equipment used to manufacture schematics for high-level crafting. The lifeblood of a coporation, really. (And a player could only ever buy a single one from the admins - the rest had to be researched, or bought from other players.) Normally, you can't steal these, or furniture in general, as it is usually bolted to the ground and immovable. Of course, you can only bolt furniture in rooms that list you as its owner.

You can probably see where this is going.

For some bizarre reason, the player who technically owned the new HQ was not available, so the research machines were not bolted (and as I recall, locks weren't installed either). A single high-level player proceeds to massacre the entire swarm of newbies, parade a line of hoverlifts (furniture transport robots) into their HQ, load up their vital research simulators, and ferry them off to his own home. The corporation melted away overnight, and Creator ragequitted instantly. Last time I played HellMOO, the empty shell of their HQ was still there (accessible via the eastern canal linking the Freedom City sewers to the sea, as I call), a testament to incompetence and hilarity.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

My brother and his friend, Nomi, used to play this spaceship MUD. This must have been in the late 90s or early 2000s, and I can't for the life of me remember what it was called anymore, but they used to spend hours grinding their dumb little spaceship men in it. Now, this went on for a long time, and at one point apparently they became involved in one of the game's alliances, and got pretty high up in its rankings.

One of the kinds of ships you could buy in the game were carriers, which were very expensive, very large, and effectively served as a player base. Players could dock at them, get out, and walk around inside them. At the point where their alliance was going to buy one of these ships my brother and his friend were pretty much ready to quit the game, having grown bored with it. But one day they realized that there was an amazing griefing opportunity at hand, and stuck around until they were ready to hatch their plan.

Not soon after their alliance had bought a carrier the leader apparently went out of town for a while, and wouldn't be able to get on the game. So Nomi brought out the alliance's carrier, and decided to hold an event on it for all of the members. My brother and a bunch of the other members all docked on the ship. Once enough people had come, he apparently locked the hangers and activated the carrier's self destruct function. Everyone on board was trapped as the carrier blew up, taking everything on board with it. I don't think either of them ever logged in again after that.

MUDs kinda own.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Giggily posted:

My brother and his friend, Nomi, used to play this spaceship MUD. This must have been in the late 90s or early 2000s, and I can't for the life of me remember what it was called anymore, but they used to spend hours grinding their dumb little spaceship men in it. Now, this went on for a long time, and at one point apparently they became involved in one of the game's alliances, and got pretty high up in its rankings.

One of the kinds of ships you could buy in the game were carriers, which were very expensive, very large, and effectively served as a player base. Players could dock at them, get out, and walk around inside them. At the point where their alliance was going to buy one of these ships my brother and his friend were pretty much ready to quit the game, having grown bored with it. But one day they realized that there was an amazing griefing opportunity at hand, and stuck around until they were ready to hatch their plan.

Not soon after their alliance had bought a carrier the leader apparently went out of town for a while, and wouldn't be able to get on the game. So Nomi brought out the alliance's carrier, and decided to hold an event on it for all of the members. My brother and a bunch of the other members all docked on the ship. Once enough people had come, he apparently locked the hangers and activated the carrier's self destruct function. Everyone on board was trapped as the carrier blew up, taking everything on board with it. I don't think either of them ever logged in again after that.

MUDs kinda own.

"Coin operated self-destruct? Not one of my better ideas..."

Seriously, why would the carrier even have a self-destruct function? Especially one just any random rear end in a top hat could use. :psyduck:

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Zaodai posted:

"Coin operated self-destruct? Not one of my better ideas..."

Seriously, why would the carrier even have a self-destruct function? Especially one just any random rear end in a top hat could use. :psyduck:

Because it was hilarious? Some developers embrace grief, like the guys who make EVE. Having subscription extensions be actual physical game objects which could be stolen and destroyed was genius. I mean EVE is a bad game that I will probably never play but the devs are great because they seem to actively hate the kind of people who want to play their game seriously.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Dauntasa posted:

Because it was hilarious? Some developers embrace grief, like the guys who make EVE. Having subscription extensions be actual physical game objects which could be stolen and destroyed was genius. I mean EVE is a bad game that I will probably never play but the devs are great because they seem to actively hate the kind of people who want to play their game seriously.

Yes, but EVE doesn't design things with griefing in mind. They design it with player control in mind. If you happen to give someone access to your hangar, it's your fault they swipe your poo poo. But there's no big red "BLOW UP ALL YOUR CORP'S STUFF" button sitting around. That's stupid.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

redmercer posted:

If you're standing outside it, they can't even pick the inside lock because you can just open and shut the door on them before they can get out, which resets their pick progress.

My God, I can't quit laughing at this. I remember skilling up Lockpicking in EverQuest, and the grind that that was. I remember spending 24 hours there in a newbie dungeon trying to get my skill up, silently picking the door, opening to reset it, and closing it again to start over. If it was at peak times I could pick the door open for some newbies to go down in the lower levels of the dungeon and then closing and locking the door behind them. Open, close. Open, close. Open, close...:smug:

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

Zaodai posted:

Yes, but EVE doesn't design things with griefing in mind. They design it with player control in mind. If you happen to give someone access to your hangar, it's your fault they swipe your poo poo. But there's no big red "BLOW UP ALL YOUR CORP'S STUFF" button sitting around. That's stupid.

It's the thing you would use if somebody else was capable of stealing it and you'd 100% lose, I'd imagine.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

It's the thing you would use if somebody else was capable of stealing it and you'd 100% lose, I'd imagine.

Or maybe self destruct buttons are just super loving cool and should be IN EVERY GAME.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Zaodai posted:

From what I understand he was basically the alliance's #2 and was the actual pilot of the craft at the time. But yeah it's pretty terrible design. The game also featured perma death for all NPCs.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Zaodai posted:

In EVE you can blow up your ship, there's a two minute countdown and sometimes people will play self-destruct chicken with multi-billion isk supercapitals. Also when Kartoon went gently caress Goons he self-destructed a few dozen dreadnoughts from Goonfleet's strategic reserve and collected a billion isk worth of insurance payouts for each, in addition to stealing a few hundred billion from the Alliance wallet.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Avulsion posted:

In EVE you can blow up your ship, there's a two minute countdown and sometimes people will play self-destruct chicken with multi-billion isk supercapitals. Also when Kartoon went gently caress Goons he self-destructed a few dozen dreadnoughts from Goonfleet's strategic reserve and collected a billion isk worth of insurance payouts for each, in addition to stealing a few hundred billion from the Alliance wallet.

I know it's been said so many times but goddamn do goon eve stories make me laugh so drat much.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

In what dystopian future do Insurance Companies not investigate fraud like that?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is this like game run insurance, or player run insurance?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Vadun posted:

In what dystopian future do Insurance Companies not investigate fraud like that?

It's actually one of the few things in the game that makes absolutely no economic sense but in handwaived away regardless. For those who care, you pay an amount to insure a ship you own. Coverage lasts two weeks or a month (can't remember), and if the ship is destroyed for any reason you get the payout. The payout is always many times more than the coverage costs (but less than the value of the ship).

Basically the insurance company is EVE does not make any money, and in fact bleeds billions and billions of credits every day. It is funded by space magic.

Edit: The insurance is game run. As far a I know there are no player run insurance programs (because you can't compete with a company that pulls billions of credits from the ether and hands it out like candy).

viewtyjoe
Jan 5, 2009

Chomp8645 posted:

It's actually one of the few things in the game that makes absolutely no economic sense but in handwaived away regardless. For those who care, you pay an amount to insure a ship you own. Coverage lasts two weeks or a month (can't remember), and if the ship is destroyed for any reason you get the payout. The payout is always many times more than the coverage costs (but less than the value of the ship).

Basically the insurance company is EVE does not make any money, and in fact bleeds billions and billions of credits every day. It is funded by space magic.

Edit: The insurance is game run. As far a I know there are no player run insurance programs (because you can't compete with a company that pulls billions of credits from the ether and hands it out like candy).

They changed it slightly a while ago. Previously, even getting killed by the space-cops in high-security space (boring space where pvp is consensual and the only way to make money is grinding high-level missions) would get your insurance payout. When Goonwaffe decided to strategically deny all ice-miners in a specific section of highsec, the pubbies cried loud enough and hard enough that CCP finally changed it so you don't get insurance payouts for being shot by the space police.

Of course, this changed nothing, since GW makes so much money from their control over a tier 2 production bottleneck that they can afford to fully reimburse suicide ships designed to kill miners in highsec.

Token Cracker
Dec 22, 2004

Gherkin Jerkin posted:

Absolutely brilliant DayZ griefing by a hacker. Much more imaginative than most.

http://www.twitch.tv/evilthebadger/b/327927504

You can get a taste of what's to come at around 3 minutes. The hacker returns near the 13 minute mark. Admittedly, this is a long video but it pays off spectacularly. It's like a loving horror movie. I jumped a couple times.

I can't recommend this video enough.

Edit: His friend is watching on a stream with a 10 second delay. Gets annoying, but amusing to hear the delayed reaction.

This is incredible. It's about an hour but totally worth the time. I don't want to spoil anything but more people need to see this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

viewtyjoe posted:

They changed it slightly a while ago. Previously, even getting killed by the space-cops in high-security space (boring space where pvp is consensual and the only way to make money is grinding high-level missions) would get your insurance payout. When Goonwaffe decided to strategically deny all ice-miners in a specific section of highsec, the pubbies cried loud enough and hard enough that CCP finally changed it so you don't get insurance payouts for being shot by the space police.

Of course, this changed nothing, since GW makes so much money from their control over a tier 2 production bottleneck that they can afford to fully reimburse suicide ships designed to kill miners in highsec.

I'm getting the impression that EVE is two separate games: there's a game pubbies play, and a game Goonwaffe plays. :psyduck:

• Locked thread