Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

pik_d posted:

He mentions the scandal, I'm wondering if he means the scandal that his long-lost daughter has come back to take the claim away from anyone else who might want an old mans estate, or the scandal that we saw on the previous page, that she doesn't age.

I assume the scandal in this case is "finding out the reclusive man's long lost daughter is actually his wife that nobody's seen in 30 years".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I assumed it was "has a daughter without ever being married".

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
Man, Tom, you gotta pace yourself with the ghost puns or they won't last you till Halloween

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Or with being married. Either way, suddenly "discovering" and presenting an adult daughter is tacit admission of sowing some wild oats back in the day.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I suppose an adult daughter out of wedlock showing up after years of hiding is a very scandalous scenario even without immortality thrown in.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
As someone on the Gunnerkrigg forums kindly pointed out, our new knowledge about Jones' longer-than-normal lifespan puts this page in a new light.

Rasamune fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 21, 2013

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Rasamune posted:

As someone on the Gunnerkrigg forums kindly pointed out, our new knowledge about Jones' longer-than-normal lifespan puts this page in a new light.

Remembering that page, and the last couple ones makes the Jones Eglamore relationship a bit less unsettling for me. It seems pretty well known that she's either immortal or extremely long lived, and the men she's interacted with in the flashbacks seem aware of it as well.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

Panzer Skank posted:

I just can't get over how intensely beautiful the art in this arc has been. Every page is visually arresting in a different way. :allears: Goodness, so pretty.

Not just the art, the whole chapter really shows off how well Tom can show a story.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

wdarkk posted:

I assumed it was "has a daughter without ever being married".

It could be any number of things. It's generally safe to assume that an 18th Century atristocrat is up to his rear end in scandal at all times.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Nothing to do with Jones but I got stuck in rereading when you guys callously dropped links, so here's a Kat gonk that I don't think ever got made into an avatar:

edit:

Zenzirouj fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 15, 2012

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Fister Roboto posted:

It could be any number of things. It's generally safe to assume that an 18th Century atristocrat is up to his rear end in scandal at all times.
This is striking me as being early to mid Victorian period, so 19th century, but still yeah.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah that's probably true. If this was 18th Century there'd be a lot more ruffles and he'd be rockin' some tights and a tricorne.

Still up to his rear end in scandal though.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

runwiled posted:

I just want to mention some things we know about Jones too:-

-Is she immortal or merely ageless? That is, is the reason she was able to survive the factory explosion, able to walk across lake bottoms and punch walls because she can't die/invulnerable? Or, is it that she's just extremely tough and happens to not age (that we've seen anyway).

I suspect that Jones is like Coyote, "a being of the thoughts of man", aka a god in the Gunnerkrigg universe.

At least, that would make her immune to "damage" in any normal sense (although I'm pretty sure the gods would suffer if somehow the souls of people stopped being conducted into the ether).

Wili
Apr 7, 2010

ppppbbbbtttthhhhhhttppp!
After the wealthy nobleman and the successful industrialist, I wonder why did Jones pick Jim as her next meal ticket. He cannot make all that much on his teacher/dragonslayer salary. Maybe he is set to inherit some fortune, taking into acount Jones scouted him out as a kid.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Wili posted:

After the wealthy nobleman and the successful industrialist, I wonder why did Jones pick Jim as her next meal ticket. He cannot make all that much on his teacher/dragonslayer salary. Maybe he is set to inherit some fortune, taking into acount Jones scouted him out as a kid.
His parents looked like they lived by relatively modest means. Who knows?

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Wili posted:

You know, if asked to sum up Jones in one word, I'm fairly certain I wouldn't pick "gold-digger".

Foomin
Feb 14, 2005

Wili posted:

She says on this page that the estate means nothing to her, she's not moved by the fact that it's taken away from her later, and the entire chapter's narrative has been illustrating her need to take on new identities as a cover for her lack of aging but I guess she could just be a gold digging thief. Also that successful industrialist looks a lot like a factory worker.

Foomin fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 15, 2012

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Oh man, I stopped checking up on various webcomics for over and month and then I come back and we're finding out about Jones. I'm pretty happy.

Rasamune posted:

I don't know, man. It would be cool if Kat's brilliance were due to some strange secret about her that she can discover later in the story, but it might be cooler if it turns out that she's that brilliant despite there being nothing at all special about her.

Honestly I like the idea of her awesome skills just being due to intelligence and/or a non-supernatural affinity for working with robots.

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

A Reaper drone manifests PTSD; an assembly line has a mid-MTBF crisis and decides it's gonna make art from now on. Siri gets sick of telling you how to get to the Dunkin Donuts every loving day learn to read street signs jesus; later that day you get in a head-on collision with a car too distracted by a screaming match with its driver (they just stopped at a dealership) for either to pay attention to the road. The local nuclear power plant is, apparently, in love with a hydro turbine upstate. Japanese engineers: "Well poo poo, maybe we should have stuck with the silly face machine."

AHahaha this is pretty much the robots in the Paranoia RPG.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Still can't decide whether I think Jones is older than the court or not, considering how far back we're going at this point without her changing.

I also hope we get to see her when she first meets Coyote, and he gives her the "Wandering Eye" nickname (assuming that is a nickname and not her actual title).

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Heliotrope posted:

AHahaha this is pretty much the robots in the Paranoia RPG.

Now I really, really want to include the boxing glove robot the next time I ever GM a game of Paranoia.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Youremother posted:

Now I really, really want to include the boxing glove robot the next time I ever GM a game of Paranoia.

I prefer oven mitts.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Battle Pigeon posted:

Still can't decide whether I think Jones is older than the court or not, considering how far back we're going at this point without her changing.

I also hope we get to see her when she first meets Coyote, and he gives her the "Wandering Eye" nickname (assuming that is a nickname and not her actual title).

Depending on exactly how old she is, Wandering Eye could've just been another name to use for a time, maybe in Celtic or even Neolithic days.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Rich Burlew should be forced to read this chapter at gunpoint. I haven't seen this level of economy of language in a webcomic in a long, long time.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

Rich Burlew should be forced to read this chapter at gunpoint. I haven't seen this level of economy of language in a webcomic in a long, long time.

Rich Burlew is doing just fine sleeping on his big pile of cash to bother applying himself.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I know it's popular to bag on Burlew lately because people are bitter he got paid or something, but the entire point of OOTS is the constant banter reminiscent of tabletop chatter and D&D gags. Gunnerkrigg Court and Order of the Stick two very different comics and the lessons learned from one may not necessarily apply to the other.

"Andrew Hussie should be forced to read this chapter at gunpoint. I haven't seen this level of conveying motion through static image in a webcomic in a long, long time."

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Wili posted:

Given that it seems pretty apparently that Gunnerkrigg is a place where she doesn't have to swap identities constantly, I don't think this is at all what's going on there. I also kind of doubt it was what was going on before, but v:shobon:v

Dodgeball posted:

Rich Burlew is doing just fine sleeping on his big pile of cash to bother applying himself.

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

jesus christ where did this come from :psyduck:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm really looking forward to seeing an elderly serf bequeath his name, mule, and 20 malnourished children to Jones just before he dies of the Plague.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Ursine Asylum posted:

jesus christ where did this come from :psyduck:

My comment was referencing his successful Kickstarter, and that he doesn't need to change anything he does because he's doing just fine. I don't dislike the guy, he seems cool, but I'm kind of done with OotS.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Okay, so the repeating pattern here is she meets a boy in his childhood, and seems to stay with them for their whole lives. And then she takes some aspect of their name when they die I guess.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

For an immortal, it seems like a natural cycle. Find new lives, full of promise. Raise them, watch them grow up, come to know them better than anyone ever could. Love them all their lives, in whatever way. Then mourn until forced by circumstance or threat of discovery to move on.

Three pages in a row with Samuel Langdon make me think something about the Langdon estate will be important other than just a connection to Jones. Related to the founding of the Court, perhaps?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I don't think so, but it does seem like a pivotal point of Jones' life. The author comments for the previous comic and the one before it are "Everything is given to her" and "Everything is taken from her" respectively.

Wili
Apr 7, 2010

ppppbbbbtttthhhhhhttppp!
So she already had the name Elizabeth before meeting Langdon, just as an empty name to hide her identity. That probably means the names are just a sentimental way to carry the memories of those she cared for, and not some supernatural thing.

But then there was that comment of "stolen names" from Coyote. It makes it sound like she "took" something from them... Maybe that was just Coyote being an rear end in a top hat.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Yeah she was already Elizabeth, Old-Sam asked her if she would keep it to which she replied that she should at least change her surname.

I think the three Langdon pages are more to show how she comes to change her name over the years than anything about the estate itself. I do wonder how she became Emma though. She was taken by officers for question then some time later was working in a filling factory with a new name.

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.
Man, there's something hilarious and sad about a toddler with an eyepatch.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

Bongo Bill posted:

Three pages in a row with Samuel Langdon make me think something about the Langdon estate will be important other than just a connection to Jones. Related to the founding of the Court, perhaps?

To me, Langdon looks a lot like Young from what little we've seen of him. If so, it definitely wouldn't surprise me.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

To me, Langdon looks a lot like Young from what little we've seen of him. If so, it definitely wouldn't surprise me.

Wrong name of course, unless he had a daughter and she took Young's name later. Also I don't think the timelines add up at all, this is only 100 years ago, it feels like the Court is much older than that.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

ATP_Power posted:

Wrong name of course, unless he had a daughter and she took Young's name later. Also I don't think the timelines add up at all, this is only 100 years ago, it feels like the Court is much older than that.

Yeah, the court is way old. I was thinking more along the lines of something like: Jones is around sometime during the founding of the court or shortly after, gets connected with the court somehow, then stays sort of connected to the families of original members as generations come and go due to the whole etheric focus on them or something.

Or he could be completely unrelated and just another guy in a long line of people Jones has known and nameswapped with.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

The Missing Link posted:

That's why they hired a new governess. Can't let your kid go running around with scissors.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Bongo Bill posted:

I could have sworn I saw mutton chops 'n' eye patch earlier in the comic, in the chapter where it is revealed what a nice guy Diego is, but nope; just got his blocky jaw confused with the headmaster's ancestor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

This whole chapter has just been amazing.

But this:

The Missing Link posted:

is my favorite part of today's. I had to have a laugh too.