Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TimNeilson
Dec 21, 2008

Hahaha!

WickedIcon posted:

I'm getting the impression that EVE is two separate games: there's a game pubbies play, and a game Goonwaffe plays. :psyduck:

This is fairly accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

WickedIcon posted:

I'm getting the impression that EVE is two separate games: there's a game pubbies play, and a game Goonwaffe plays. :psyduck:

There is only one game, but two kinds of people.

Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. Pubbies dig.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
I really like that we are still getting HellMOO griefing stories in this thread. I'm proud to have been part of a few of those operations, though I was never the mastermind. My personal acts of griefing were limited to firing the grenade launcher into the bar (local place where people idle/chat).

Oh wait, no. My biggest grief: implementing the game of Go and leaving it bugged/unable to properly calculate scores.

I'm still on hellmoo as a chillmin, just for chatting with friends and triggering penis rains over FC.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

WickedIcon posted:

I haven't played EVE in years but I still keep up with the 600+ page megathread in MMO HMO because of all the crazy poo poo goons get up to. For example, the Ministry of Love, which was formed to hunt down people who whined about goons on the forums from the safety of high security space and kill them repeatedly. Nowadays they suicide gank freighters carrying billions of isk worth of goods, several times a day.

http://themittani.com/features/ministry-love-200-freighters-and-counting

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Senso posted:

I really like that we are still getting HellMOO griefing stories in this thread. I'm proud to have been part of a few of those operations, though I was never the mastermind. My personal acts of griefing were limited to firing the grenade launcher into the bar (local place where people idle/chat).

Oh wait, no. My biggest grief: implementing the game of Go and leaving it bugged/unable to properly calculate scores.

I'm still on hellmoo as a chillmin, just for chatting with friends and triggering penis rains over FC.

I looked at your code for approximately 30 seconds once and just went back to playing online poker.

I think I'm still an admin on Hate but a falling penis in FC doesn't make any sound if there's nobody to hear it.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

WickedIcon posted:

(warning, incoming analogy)

Eve is like a wild west game; pubbies join the game and play farmers or cattle ranchers, goons join to play Outlaws, Bank Robbers, and Card cheats.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I don't think anything could beat Hulkageddon.

Coach Sport posted:

Has anyone posted about Hulkageddon ∞ yet? Its been a while since I played EVE, but I have RL friends bitching to me about this. Apparently, GoonSwarm held some sort of month-long event where they rewarded gankers with 100 million isk (in-game currency) for every 10 expensive mining ships they killed. They actually set up some sort of automatic utility to scrape the in-game killboards for data on who's been killing what, and they send out money to literally anyone that gets 10 dead Exhumer mining ships to their name (with payments for every batch of 10). There was all manner of bitching and complaints from people losing their super-expensive mining ships to suicide-ganks in the game's NPC-protected high-sec areas, but fortunately the event seemed to be drawing to a close. Until now, when Goonswarm announced that the event would be continuing indefinitely.

I don't even play EVE, but this is totally hilarious to me. GoonSwarm has set up some sort of automatic in-game quest (kill 10 Exhumers, get 100 million isk) to grief people in protected systems and otherwise gently caress over miners that were trying to insulate themselves from the game's PvP. And any random pirate can get paid for doing this without even applying for anything, thanks to the automatic killboard scraper. And after a month of torment, wailing and gnashing of teeth about killing EVE's manufacturing base and driving away newbies, they announce that they're going to keep doing this indefinitely.

Oh, GS is also apparently part of a cartel that controls the mineral that the mining ships are made out of, so every destroyed Exhumer ends up putting more money in their pocket when the miners replace it too.

Macaluso posted:

According to a post in that thread:

quote:

As a rough (and conservative) estimate, I'd say that for every 100M they have to pay out, they earn 600M.
:aaa:

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Cage Kicker posted:

I looked at your code for approximately 30 seconds once and just went back to playing online poker.

I think I'm still an admin on Hate but a falling penis in FC doesn't make any sound if there's nobody to hear it.

I'll take that as a compliment. :cool:

As for HellMOO itself, there are still players on from what I see. My interaction with the game itself is limited to said falling dicks so I can't say more.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Cage Kicker posted:

Oh, there's people around to hear it. But alas, they cannot see it.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
I almost have a HellMOO griefing story as in I almost executed my plan. I wonder if it was even possible.

I found some regular guy named Kharn in the bar unconscious. I was three rooms away from the incinerator so I dragged him out there to try and incinerate him. There was no beef or relation between us; I just wanted to see if you could incinerate unconscious players and having a notable regular fall into my lap unconscious 3 rooms away from the incinerator was just icing. But he woke up in the incinerator room before I could figure out how to incinerate him.

:sweatdrop: I ran out of there ASAP. My story sucks. If I had figured out the commands, would I have been able to incinerate him for some Soylent Green?

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Back in the day there was a MUSH called Shadowrun: Detroit. I was a fairly high-level character and was at this point just kind of sitting back and letting other people do my work for me.

One of the guys, who's name escapes me, worked for me as a minion and was retarded as hell. A few other friends and I managed to steal his equipment out of his apartment and his tricked out vehicles in the no-man's lands.

When he came back/woke up he was mad as hell and came to me to complain as I was supposed to be providing him protection. Of course I was understandably distressed that someone was stealing my mook's equipment so I offered to sell him some of my overstock at a discounted rate while we tried to get to the bottom of this.

Que us doing this about four times till he realized we were selling his own poo poo back to him each time. Even the Database Reference numbers were identical each time. I think he tried to kill me after he figured it out In Character but he was so bad we just had our guy rip out all his implants and dump him in an alley instead of killing him.

Some people just can't be helped.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Senso posted:

... how do you implement Go in a text-based game? Wouldn't that be a nightmare to play?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Third World Reggin posted:

That APB video. The game is an awful mess and will never be fixed. In the mean time, it is a game that is awesome for griefing. Dump trucks are pretty much grief magnets. The game is just so bad otherwise.

Old quote, but I'd like to say something about this. I think APB is a good example of a game that could have been amazing if the people who made it were at all competent. The idea of sorting people dynamically in an open world into multiplayer matches is brilliant, absolutely brilliant. APB was the biggest leap forward in multiplayer shooter innovation since Team Fortress Classic. The biggest problem was marketing the game as an MMO. APB is not an MMO, it's a traditional multiplayer shooter in a big-rear end map that also has other matches going on in it.

I think APB should have either ditched the MMO elements and removed all non-PVP activities from the combat districts, or tried to implement some kind of PVE, though I think the first option is probably a better idea.

The game also suffers from a critical lack of content, a terribly ill-conceived weapon purchase system, and a host of small control issues, like cars that take a full loving second to respond to any input, but those are issues of execution, not conception.

Back to the topic at hand, what ever happened to Team Roomba?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

DStecks posted:

I used to play TF2 on a server run by one of the Team Roomba guys. From what I heard, he just kind of got tired of it, although I never straight out asked him about it.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Smirr posted:

... how do you implement Go in a text-based game? Wouldn't that be a nightmare to play?

That's probably why it's a grief. You'd have people trying to count up the scores on hand and getting a different score than the game itself, and then the fighting over who's actually cheating starts.

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012
Surely you could just have some kind of ASCII based grid thing as a game board, like in a rougelike?

OrangeSoda
Oct 8, 2007

OrangeSoda digivolved into Monzaemon!

OrangeSoda has unlocked BEAR POWERS!

nullscan posted:

Back in the day there was a MUSH called Shadowrun: Detroit. I was a fairly high-level character and was at this point just kind of sitting back and letting other people do my work for me.

One of the guys, who's name escapes me, worked for me as a minion and was retarded as hell. A few other friends and I managed to steal his equipment out of his apartment and his tricked out vehicles in the no-man's lands.

When he came back/woke up he was mad as hell and came to me to complain as I was supposed to be providing him protection. Of course I was understandably distressed that someone was stealing my mook's equipment so I offered to sell him some of my overstock at a discounted rate while we tried to get to the bottom of this.

Que us doing this about four times till he realized we were selling his own poo poo back to him each time. Even the Database Reference numbers were identical each time. I think he tried to kill me after he figured it out In Character but he was so bad we just had our guy rip out all his implants and dump him in an alley instead of killing him.

Some people just can't be helped.

This actually sounds pretty awesome and cyberpunk-y. You basically sounded like some sort of corrupt future CEO type guy.

Now, if only he were probably competent enough to gain all of his cybernetics back and launch some sort of crazy revenge mission against everyone.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Honestly, that was the only reason I didn't kill him. :( At that point the only challenge came from admin ran megaplots and trying to get PCs angry enough to try and take me out. I just wanted a crazy revenge plot to take me out and take over my empire or something.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Avulsion posted:

In EVE you can blow up your ship, there's a two minute countdown and sometimes people will play self-destruct chicken with multi-billion isk supercapitals.
I was listening in to fleet chat one time when a capital fleet played self-destruct chicken, only a lag spike hit. It only caught one guy, but hearing the fleet commander start screaming "WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?" as a massively expensive dreadnaught blew itself up was so goddamned hilarious that I couldn't stop laughing for ten minutes. I had a serious case of the giggles just now by recalling it.

WickedIcon posted:

I'm getting the impression that EVE is two separate games: there's a game pubbies play, and a game Goonwaffe plays.
As one of our CEOs put it, "They're playing EVE Online. We're playing Something Awful."

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Doodles posted:

As one of our CEOs put it, "They're playing EVE Online. We're playing Something Awful."
That tends to apply to most games with a significant goon presence, doesn't it?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

m2pt5 posted:

That tends to apply to most games with a significant goon presence, doesn't it?

It varies. It depends on how bored that set of goons are and how easy it is to grief and get away with griefing. EVE is full of it because CCP allows it. Games with stricter rules and systems means that griefs are less common and/or more creative.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

DStecks posted:

FLOOR_MASTER still runs 2fort2furious, though I haven't been around in a bit. Last I checked a few months ago it's still around, although it's somewhat hurting for membership as TF2 declines in popularity.

http://forums.2f2f.net/ is their forums, I don't know their server IP but just search for 2fort2furious in the browser.

They aren't really a griefing clan anymore though, haven't been in years. Most of the regulars there now are completely new, and many (most?) of the people around at the start are now gone. F_M is still around, as are a few others, but the place was constantly being splintered by drama and feuding. I remember daveslash was being run out of the place when I started going there years ago. I'm not even sure how many of the current regulars remember or even know it started at SA.

Dauntasa posted:

I used to play TF2 on a server run by one of the Team Roomba guys. From what I heard, he just kind of got tired of it, although I never straight out asked him about it.

Probably the same one then. F_M himself still runs it, but many of the members got tired of it / drifted away.

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Oct 16, 2012

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
2fort2furious was an awesome server, but the few times I do play TF2 these days its always empty.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

2fort2furious was an awesome server, but the few times I do play TF2 these days its always empty.

Yeah it seems to be dying from what I can tell. I haven't really been active in years though I pop in now and again, partially because I burned myself out on TF2 early on and partially because it's painful to see such a great community slowly die. But who knows, there were still a lot of people around last I checked, they just chatted on the forums and didn't play TF2 as much.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Smirr posted:

Screenshot, because ANSI characters don't look good in ASCII.

And the commands were quite simple:
code:
Obvious commands:
  play <something> on glass Go board
  trash glass Go board
    Ragequit!
  forfeit on glass Go board
    Quit and lose the game.
  pass on glass Go board
    Pass your turn.
  challenge <something> with glass Go board
    Challenge someone to a game of Go. Use "anybody" to leave it open.
  join glass Go board
    Accept someone's challenge and join the game.
  clean glass Go board
    Clean up the board after a game has ended.
  rules glass Go board
    Get a quick explanation of how to play Go.
  watch/spectate glass Go board
    Watch the game being played.
Let's just say that my implementation of Mille Bornes was much better, at least it was completed. Someone else also made a chess board, that would be much easier to code than Go.

EDIT: VVVV Not if you have two players who know the rules. Gilmore and I tried to hook it into gnugo to have automatic "best case" score counting but it wasn't easy and didn't work that well.

Senso fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Oct 16, 2012

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Is scoring in Go even a decidable problem?

Frog 1.0
Jun 2, 2001

Now with 33% less Engrish
I don't know if you can call this griefing but in Warcraft 3 a bunch of goons and me use to go on ladder game as a team of 4 and build only towers and eventually use all 3 heroes. All four starting heroes would go around the map at the begining getting the most exp as possible plus all the items and boost and just build poo poo tons of towers.

By the time the other team realise what's going on we had a pretty big team of heroes up and toweres all over the place. They would focus on one path of the map to get towers down and we could just build towers somewhere else. We would get tons of exp from all the tower killing and once we had a few heroes up to level 10 it was pretty much done deal. Usually people just gave up and left the match when they realise how long it would take to win the game. We ran into a few good teams that just destroyed us but beside that we had alot of consecutive wins.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

Probably the same one then. F_M himself still runs it, but many of the members got tired of it / drifted away.

Yeah, it was 2f2f. I still play on it like once every few months. Used to be that it was always populated, even at 5am, but now you hardly see people on at all, although occasionally I have seen it almost filling up.

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

Frog 1.0 posted:

I don't know if you can call this griefing but in Warcraft 3 a bunch of goons and me use to go on ladder game as a team of 4 and build only towers and eventually use all 3 heroes. All four starting heroes would go around the map at the begining getting the most exp as possible plus all the items and boost and just build poo poo tons of towers.

By the time the other team realise what's going on we had a pretty big team of heroes up and toweres all over the place. They would focus on one path of the map to get towers down and we could just build towers somewhere else. We would get tons of exp from all the tower killing and once we had a few heroes up to level 10 it was pretty much done deal. Usually people just gave up and left the match when they realise how long it would take to win the game. We ran into a few good teams that just destroyed us but beside that we had alot of consecutive wins.

I remember watching one of these replays ages ago and it was awesome, do you know if there are any more around?

Trivial Fursuit
Dec 18, 2009

Lacklustre Hero posted:

I remember watching one of these replays ages ago and it was awesome, do you know if there are any more around?

Try http://highper.ch/

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

Athas posted:

Wait, what the gently caress? Mindflayer actually got released? I remember being so enamored with the mental illness system that I made Mindflayer to spread the joy, but Gilmore thought it was a pointless griefing-mutation. In fairness, it didn't much more to the victim than spam text and stat debuffs, which isn't that interesting as griefing goes.

Thabit finished it up and released it on H:ATE, for focusnerds who didn't want to take Empath(gently caress empaths). I don't know how many mental illnesses were around when you first did this, but I had a shitload of entertaining pages from people who didn't realise Imaginary Death Syndrome was a thing(you see your HP drop to 0 from an explosion every few ticks). Other cool mentals I vaguely remember:

-photophobia, gently caress you lighthavers
-delusions of a global pyramid pill conspiracy scheme. Enjoy being spammed by ghosts trying to sell you herbal viagra and poo poo. This used to carry severe stat debuffs until we got it nerfed like a day after we found it, too.
-hydrophobia. Player decals like water/piss/whatever would trigger fear from this.
-delusions of persecution. Anybody hit with this would see their wanted levels climb constantly in a number of areas, and start hallucinating random NPC police forces attacking them. You have no loving idea how funny it is to listen to somebody rage the gently caress out about how some griefer attacked them and now THEY're the one sitting in jail waiting for their stars to go away.

Seriously, gently caress murdering idiots constantly, making them get so frustrated that they have to suicide and reclone is where it's at.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I always liked getting delusions of grandeur on purpose. It made you brag about fake poo poo all the time and would make dumb people get mad that you were (supposedly) better than them.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
The mental health system in HellMOO is truly one of the funniest feature. I remember when we started fleshing it out, if I remember correctly I created the first one: "postpartum depression". It all went crazy from there. I also remember Aristotle (RIP) adding a lot of the crazy ones, good times.

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

Awesome, ta

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
My only HellMOO story is really more about me gettin' griefed by a game I was not prepared for. I tried out Hell from boredom-induced suicide in Achaea and clearly did not understand what I was getting into, but I read some of the goon guides and made a not-terrible character.

My very first day I made a huge mistake; I talked on the global chat channel. Not only that, I tried to be funny on it. Before long I had recieved a page: Funny joke, new new player! You're such a funny guy, I have some gear for you! Overjoyed since I was wearing the equivalent of a burlap sack armor-wise, I met him outside the survival shop and he (after I allowed gifts) handed me that loving coat.

I'm hazy on the hard stats and I'm positive now that it wasn't a huge deal relative to the game's other equipment, but the 'sky raider duster' he handed me blew my newbie mind. It looked like some sort of trenchcoat dyed blood red and hewn from the hide of a tyrannosaurus, and skyrocketed every single soak I had to the point where I was invincible against everything appropriate for my level except on my head, hands, and feet.

Naturally I thank him profusely and he replies with something along the lines of "Sure thing! Have fun!" rear end in a top hat. I told my lovely newbie corp about my great new acquisition, and immediately the officers started a bidding war to buy it off me. When I refused, they fired me. Welp.

Hanging around the bar in hopes of getting hired by someone, a guy tells me "nice coat," because I wasn't brawny (in game) or smart (out of game) enough to wear anything over it to hide it. I should have heard this as a Sin City-style that's a drat fine coat yer wearin', but I was the Cool Accepted Newbie and clearly he meant no harm. He offered to buy me drinks. But not there. In the other bar. The cool bar, for cool people. The one without cameras or other players around.

So I'm on the ground, puking violently and slipping in and out of consciousness while slurring expletives, and he's trying on the duster he stripped from me. "drat, this is nice," he says. "I'd like to keep it." Then he drops the coat. "I hope you learned a lesson today," he says, and leaves.

When I sober up, I yank on the duster and go home, starting to resent it. On the way, I run into three players searching for me because they spotted me heading to the no-camera areas earlier. Immediately they start killing each other for the right to skullfuck my corpse and I run to my apartment. Inside, a chainsaw-wielding man in a maid outfit is waiting for me on a pile of lumber that used to be my furniture. Right before I bleed to death, a grenade tumbles into the room and kills both of us.

My stuff is in a pile when I get back, the chainsaw maid's stuff safe in a cocoon from death. I snatch the duster and run downstairs in the nude.

Fleeing naked from the city and being chased by a vampire with an AK, I hurled the drat thing off a bridge, worth a small fortune or not.

gently caress the guy who gave it to me.

gently caress that coat.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

ellbent posted:

My only HellMOO story is really more about me gettin' griefed by a game I was not prepared for. I tried out Hell from boredom-induced suicide in Achaea and clearly did not understand what I was getting into, but I read some of the goon guides and made a not-terrible character.

My very first day I made a huge mistake; I talked on the global chat channel. Not only that, I tried to be funny on it. Before long I had recieved a page: Funny joke, new new player! You're such a funny guy, I have some gear for you! Overjoyed since I was wearing the equivalent of a burlap sack armor-wise, I met him outside the survival shop and he (after I allowed gifts) handed me that loving coat.

I'm hazy on the hard stats and I'm positive now that it wasn't a huge deal relative to the game's other equipment, but the 'sky raider duster' he handed me blew my newbie mind. It looked like some sort of trenchcoat dyed blood red and hewn from the hide of a tyrannosaurus, and skyrocketed every single soak I had to the point where I was invincible against everything appropriate for my level except on my head, hands, and feet.

Naturally I thank him profusely and he replies with something along the lines of "Sure thing! Have fun!" rear end in a top hat. I told my lovely newbie corp about my great new acquisition, and immediately the officers started a bidding war to buy it off me. When I refused, they fired me. Welp.

Hanging around the bar in hopes of getting hired by someone, a guy tells me "nice coat," because I wasn't brawny (in game) or smart (out of game) enough to wear anything over it to hide it. I should have heard this as a Sin City-style that's a drat fine coat yer wearin', but I was the Cool Accepted Newbie and clearly he meant no harm. He offered to buy me drinks. But not there. In the other bar. The cool bar, for cool people. The one without cameras or other players around.

So I'm on the ground, puking violently and slipping in and out of consciousness while slurring expletives, and he's trying on the duster he stripped from me. "drat, this is nice," he says. "I'd like to keep it." Then he drops the coat. "I hope you learned a lesson today," he says, and leaves.

When I sober up, I yank on the duster and go home, starting to resent it. On the way, I run into three players searching for me because they spotted me heading to the no-camera areas earlier. Immediately they start killing each other for the right to skullfuck my corpse and I run to my apartment. Inside, a chainsaw-wielding man in a maid outfit is waiting for me on a pile of lumber that used to be my furniture. Right before I bleed to death, a grenade tumbles into the room and kills both of us.

My stuff is in a pile when I get back, the chainsaw maid's stuff safe in a cocoon from death. I snatch the duster and run downstairs in the nude.

Fleeing naked from the city and being chased by a vampire with an AK, I hurled the drat thing off a bridge, worth a small fortune or not.

gently caress the guy who gave it to me.

gently caress that coat.

It's like The Pearl, rewritten for the Internet generation.

KimJongUnstoppable
Sep 18, 2010

Juche Lyfe 4 Ever!
HellMOO and H:ate were games that really found ways to be hilarious all on their own, even if you didn't do a drat thing to help it along. There were a million stupid ways to die in that game, and anyone who played it for a while knew them all but it was great watching noobs die time and time again to the same poo poo.

Here, dude, huff this spraypaint. It'll make you super tough and then you can kill everyone. Oh, poo poo, your head exploded, my bad.

Of course, all my favorite times in game were directly player related. Some highlights include a handful of us flying above Freedom City (the most active city in the game and the place where all the noobs tend to congregate), using macros to empty entire crates of soda and drop each individual can. It rained soda that day, and many people died from soda can related fatalities. It was glorious.

A guy in my corp named Tetsuo ran for mayor on HATE in the last election I was there for. I helped him campaign, and we decided that the focal point of his entire run for office should be that if the people didn't elect him, they'd regret it. So during the election announcements, him and another corpmate named Cavka got into a giant loving plane and circled Freedom City, and when it was announced that he didn't win, he carpetbombed the entire place with landmines, dufflebags full of grenades, suitcase nukes and clusternuke pellets. I wish I still had the logs he sent me from that to post here, it was pretty ridiculous.

I think my favorite thing to do though was run through freedom city, killing players and eating their corpses. I'll really miss that. When you get to a certain point in that game the majority of the police force in that area are a joke and even if you're unwelcome in the city (as a Freak or Abomination) you can usually hang around long enough to do what you want to do without fear of dying. I took that as an invitation to do whatever I wanted. There's something really entertaining about being a horribly disfigured abomination, high on every drug known to man, punching people's heads off and devouring their corpses. I don't think I'll ever find a game that comes close to touching how awesome that is.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Senso posted:

I also remember Aristotle (RIP) adding a lot of the crazy ones, good times.

Hey man, it's not like I'm dead.

I added the first few delusional disorders (glad to see someone built on them). I was particularly happy with paranoia, which would send you fake threatening messages from people who had previously killed you, or fake sounds of gunfire from adjacent rooms. Or schizophrenia, which would sometimes make it seem like a grenade was thrown into the room (and lots of people had triggers to immediately leave or seek cover if that happened). Hypochondria made it seem as if you were debuffed with various illnesses whenever you diagnosed yourself (or looked at your stats), but other players couldn't detect anything. And Munchausens Syndrome worked approximately like hypochondria, except it would also spam your surroundings and chatnet with things like "oh, I think I have Aspergers" and stuff like that.

A lot of the game mechanics really looked like they were setup for automated griefing. There was an NPC called the Punisher, that didn't really do anything. I wrote up a bunch of code that made him inspect the PvP logs, trying to find "unjustified" murders (based on some ad-hoc algorithm that mostly involved looking at whether the murderer had previously been murdered), and tracking down and punishing the criminals. In practice, his sense of justice was utterly unpredictable, and plenty of players met a messy death at his hands after fighting back against some griefer. In fact, there were a lot of NPCs that actively tracked down players in order to kill them, which is pretty unusual among MMO-like games.

Also, I can't believe nobody's mentioned ZedXionova/Zaylin in a while. Now that's a weird case.

As a piece of actual griefing I made while an admin, I once suddenly changed the crime system such that Abominations (player with a special set of mutations) were no longer protected in "Burbclave", the most expensive housing area. One of the wealthiest players in the game (Kharn, I think was his name) had his mansion up there, and he had a lot of enemies in the primary goon corporation at the time (KGB?). I think they profited greatly from suddenly being able to rob him without the police getting involved, but others could probably elaborate more.

Arigot
Apr 6, 2007
Watoof?
Back in the days of the original Call of Duty, me and a friend would join a server that had no friendly fire and was on some train station map - I can't remember the name. Anywho, There was a map room that the team would often spawn in, with two small doorways for an exit. So, he'd block on and I'd block the other, and with FF off the team had no way to get out. It was immature, but we died laughing every time we did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
My favorite was when somebody remembered that my little red pills made people burst into flames, so somebody got a hold of one and put it in the ENEMA box, and then had a decent pool going on how long it would take some newbie to burst into flames.

• Locked thread