Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bairfanx posted:

Trust nothing. They loving solicited Lucifer hardcovers a few years back and there's been hide nor hair of those. Even if they'd said Scalped was getting the HC treatment, I wouldn't believe it til I saw it.

They were never solicited, only rumored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Rhyno posted:

They were never solicited, only rumored.

Really? I thought they'd actually been officially announced and everything?

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
So how does 100 Bullets develop? I see praise for it everywhere, but after the first two trades I can't say I like it. It sort of feels like the graphic novelization of when my friend's little brother starts talking to us about the super badass tattoos he is going to get next summer. Like all it has is this veneer of surface level teenage "coolness." I actually really like noir and I think comics is such a perfect medium for it but this series is falling flat with me because the characterization has felt thin. I really like the premise and art though, I might get another trade to see how it goes. Honestly I felt sort of similar things about the first few issues of Scalped but then it turned into one of my favorite comics being made.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

So how does 100 Bullets develop? I see praise for it everywhere, but after the first two trades I can't say I like it.

100 Bullets apologists keep insisting it gets better after the first two trades. Then the first three, the first four, and if you don't like it by then you're obviously not capable of appreciating good comics. The reality is that it's a paper-thin NRA wankfest and you've already wasted enough of your time and money.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jedit posted:

100 Bullets apologists keep insisting it gets better after the first two trades. Then the first three, the first four, and if you don't like it by then you're obviously not capable of appreciating good comics. The reality is that it's a paper-thin NRA wankfest and you've already wasted enough of your time and money.

Or maybe people can have different opinions? Jeez, maybe calm down a bit.

Anyway, the story opens up after the first couple of trades. There's a lot to love there but if you aren't digging it, no worries.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

I'll admit it, it's kinda out there and you spend a lot of time wondering what the gently caress is going on until fifth trade with Miles, and even after, but at least you get direction. It's a slow burn that takes a while to get roaring and they spend too much time waking up the minutemen. but it all wraps together.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
From what I remember, the first 2-3 books are mainly one shot stories hinting at a larger plot, and then the plot really takes over and it becomes a different story but is still written in the same way. Revenge, massive fights, and Azzarello's dialog are still all over the place, but it goes into a big world of conspiracies.

E: If the way its written and the way it depicts violence is what you don't like, those stick around.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I've been burning through the Sandman books and just got to A Game of You. I did some research and read a lot of negative reviews for it. Is it was bad as people say it is?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

NienNunb posted:

I've been burning through the Sandman books and just got to A Game of You. I did some research and read a lot of negative reviews for it. Is it was bad as people say it is?

It is very diffrent then all the other trades. It has very little Dream and it is a "girly" story. I found it to be okay. It introduces a very important character, has some good character moments and helps set up Death's miniseries.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

NienNunb posted:

Seems a bit odd to ask for opinions before you've had a chance to read it, but...it's probably got negative reviews because of the POV of the story. It's predominantly female and has themes around womanhood. That may be part of the backlash. It's not the best Sandman story but it's not the worst either.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

NienNunb posted:

Not at all. It's one of my favorite parts.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Whoa, people didn't like A Game of You? I think it's stupendous.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Game of You is worth reading, it isn't badly written or flawed or anything, but it is a huge break from the overall plot of Sandman. Morpheus himself is barely present, and while there are repercussions in the plot most of the characters are very peripheral.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

StumblyWumbly posted:

Game of You is worth reading, it isn't badly written or flawed or anything, but it is a huge break from the overall plot of Sandman. Morpheus himself is barely present, and while there are repercussions in the plot most of the characters are very peripheral.

Except one. One of the characters in it plays a major role in the rest of the series.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

bobkatt013 posted:

Except one. One of the characters in it plays a major role in the rest of the series.

Plot wise, yeah, but I wouldn't argue you need to read Game for that character's appearance. Contrast with Destruction or Gadling or Lyta, where I think each appearance of those characters adds a bit more to the overall story and themes.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

NienNunb posted:

It would help if you stated what people are saying it's bad for, because a glance at Amazon shows high marks. I went and flipped through my copy and while I remember it being decent, a cursory glance at the art makes me think that some of it is rooted in when it was written (as in it's more obviously the early 90s), unlike (I think, again glancing) a lot of the rest of Sandman, and thus might have aged poorly.

Rama of Ra
Sep 7, 2005
~Where's Sitka? Right about the middle of your thumb.~

Pope Guilty posted:

The Invisibles (which was pretty fun) includes an explicit appeal from Morrison to his fans to cast a spell using chaos magic techniques lifted from AO Spare. That fits anybody's definition of magic.

I agree with this statement completely. I still think my point stands.

I don't think most people who have no experience with Crowley or his derivatives use the term magic/k as he explicitly defines it (which is the vein which Moore and Morrison are drawing from).

My point was more, the idea that one 'believes in magic' shouldn't necessarily turn you off from a writer prima facie, it should be because their writing is lacking.

We don't critique homer or Plato or Dante because of their interpretation of the world.

That was my point.

No one seemed to be pointing at particular pieces of bad writing, just that the subject matter as a whole, or the basic metaphysical implications were nonsensical and therefore the work was lacking.

Sorry about this partial derail.

Rama of Ra
Sep 7, 2005
~Where's Sitka? Right about the middle of your thumb.~

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Whoa, people didn't like A Game of You? I think it's stupendous.

A more Back On Point post:

This is how if feel when I talk to people about The High Cost of Living. I think it's one of my favorite pieces ever.

But maybe I just have a crush on Death.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Rama of Ra posted:

This is how if feel when I talk to people about The High Cost of Living. I think it's one of my favorite pieces ever.

Who doesn't have a crush on Death I mean everytime I finish the Emperor Norton story I go :3:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rama of Ra posted:

I thought that was part of Deaths character everyone had a crush on her?

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Just finished Game of You, and I liked it a lot. The main complaint I read about it was that it was "too feminine". But seeing as The Doll's House (Another one of his feminine stories) is my favorite volume, I wasn't bothered by that. My only real nitpick was that it did feel very dated, what with the very early 90's fashion.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bairfanx posted:

Really? I thought they'd actually been officially announced and everything?

Nope. Bob Wayne confirmed they never seriously planned on reprinting the series in HC at last years retailer summit. It was just something that was mentioned offhand a few years ago.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Is anyone else reading Punk Rock Jesus? I'm enjoying the poo poo out of it.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

Pope Guilty posted:

The plot is nonexistent and the whole thing seems like a collection of incoherent dreams that might make sense if Grant Morrison were there to personally explain them.

This isn't exactly true. The main character gets hired by an inter-dimensional agency that exist to destroy anything that deviates from the status quo of reality. Strange things happen ripping apart our notions of what is universally possible? They put a stop to it.

It's the negative image plot of The Invisibles, that is told from the vantage point of the bad guys.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Endless Mike posted:

Is anyone else reading Punk Rock Jesus? I'm enjoying the poo poo out of it.

I'm reading it. It's a fairly pedestrian look at American reality TV. The only stand-out bit is in #3 when OH MY loving GOD IT'S REAL AND CHRIS REALLY IS THE SECOND COMING.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Hotdamn

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

That looks fun!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Did Fables ever get good again or is it still aimlessly wandering?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Len posted:

Did Fables ever get good again

Hahahaha.

No.

Well, it got okay, but Willingham seems to be phoning it in now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Len posted:

Did Fables ever get good again or is it still aimlessly wandering?

This would imply that the book was once good.

HaHa! I kid with you! Yeah it sucks poo poo through a straw.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I liked Fables right up until it became apparent that the grand message of the book is "gently caress Arabs".

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Pope Guilty posted:

I liked Fables right up until it became apparent that the grand message of the book is "gently caress Liberals".

That's a bit more accurate. Willingham's quite proud of his political views.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
Anybody else enjoying the hell out Sweet Tooth? It's shaping up to have quite an ending.

Saucer Country is also surprisingly entertaining (if a bit wordy) and worth picking up.

pugnax fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Oct 16, 2012

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Everyone gets along in BSS!

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Oct 16, 2012

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007
I generally can at least understand why someone might like something even if I don't. Fables is the exception to this. I grabbed the first volume a while back and I do not understand the appeal at all.

Pugnax, I have not gotten far into Sweet Tooth but it seemed pretty good. If you like the style of writing and art grab Essex County and The Underwater Welder because they are amazing. If I had more money I would have purchases ang read all of Jeff Lemires stuff by now.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Saucer Country has been great. One of my favorite new comics in a long time.

I've also enjoyed The New Deadwardians, even with generally being sick of the glut of zombie, vampire, and/or alternate history/steampunk stuff saturating pop culture today. I think its spin on those genres is different enough to work.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Office Sheep posted:

I generally can at least understand why someone might like something even if I don't. Fables is the exception to this. I grabbed the first volume a while back and I do not understand the appeal at all.

The first major arc, up until they defeat the Adversary, is really good in an English major sort of way. It's an interesting perspective on classical literature that doesn't quite veer into the same pandering bullshit as something like Grimm's Fairy Tales. I pretty much got a hard on when I saw The Redcrosse Knight being a total badass during the war.

After that, though, it never got as interesting again. I still don't think it's straight up awful, though I won't blame you if Willingham's political nonsense soured you on the whole thing.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

The first major arc, up until they defeat the Adversary, is really good in an English major sort of way. It's an interesting perspective on classical literature that doesn't quite veer into the same pandering bullshit as something like Grimm's Fairy Tales. I pretty much got a hard on when I saw The Redcrosse Knight being a total badass during the war.

I thoroughly enjoyed the whole 75-issue first mega-arc. It was full of interesting, memorable characters (Flycatcher, Cinderella, Bigby) with unfolding backstories that had me completely hooked. The whole wrap up of the war seemed a little forced and quick, and then it seemed like Willingham realized he had a franchise on his hands.

Granted, I'm sure Vertigo has strong business reasons for their most likely resource-constrained decisions, but I'd much rather have seen 25 more issues of Northlanders than another Fables spin-off.

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

After that, though, it never got as interesting again. I still don't think it's straight up awful, though I won't blame you if Willingham's political nonsense soured you on the whole thing.

I guess I can understand the theme being the main draw. Whenever I talk to people who like Fables they always mention something to do with the overall direction of the story. And to be fair the first volume is only a standard murder mystery so I never got to see that getting into action.

I did not find out about his political views until some time after I read the first volume.

I found the art to be very dull and unappealing. The part that bothered me the most was the writing, particularly how awkwardly each character was introduced. And in a story with a large ensemble cast introductions is most of the first volume. There is even an exchange where Snow White (IIRC) calls out the Big Bad Wolf because a something he said which introduced a character (Rose Red) is so awkward. It implied to me that Willingham is aware that his introductions are terrible and had no idea how to make them good so he instead tries to pass it off as banter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Anyone reading The Unwritten? I just cracked open #40 and feel like I haven't the faintest loving clue what is going on. Was there a 39a or something?

• Locked thread