Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hdlsa
Jul 28, 2007
Important-looking pirate
I know this will probably be considered heresy by CBB fans, but has anyone else gotten sick of Paul F Tompkins lately? The first couple Cake Boss, Gary Marshall, and Andrew Lloyd Webber appearances were all great but recently they've grown very stale. His episodes with Jay Chandrasekhar, Justin Kirk, Bobcat Goldthwait, Weird Al and now this week with Gillian Jacobs have been totally forgettable. They aren't bad, but they're never as good as any episode with a character played by Matt Besser, Andy Daly, or James Adomian.

For one thing, PFT's regular characters have appeared so many times that their personalities and backgrounds have been pretty well established, so PFT isn't forced to improvise or explore his characters very much. When he does introduce a new element to his character (a Cake Boss power, ALW's amnesia in the Justin Kirk episode, etc.) it feels kind of forced.

Secondly, I think that Scott uses him too much as a crutch by pairing him with guests that don't have a background in improv or guests that aren't very funny on their own in order to balance out a show. However, because PFT's characters don't have a lot of room to grow, his episodes just turn into Scott and a weirdo talking to an awkward guest rather than a fun and unique CBB episode.

Hdlsa fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Oct 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Dorepoll posted:

Gillian had a pretty strong Garry Marshall impression. I wish she were on the show more often, as she gets the rhythm of the show and bounces off her guests really strongly. Listening to her writhe about Words With Friends will always be funny.

Lapkus was hilarious, but I think I responded to it because she reminds me of a few people I really know. The 'pretentious traveler' type is a pretty unique angle. She was a big part of what made Would You Rather so great this week.

This is a top-five of the year episode for me. Up there with the Bro-Andy Samberg reunion and the Lizzy Caplan episode.

I dunno, I could think of some better eps than those.

1.Farts and Pro 2
2. Out Of Bleeps (Amy Pohler, Zoukies, Adomian as Lykis)
3. Penises Abounding (Key and Peele, Wyatt Cenac, BJ Novak
4. New No Nos (Jessica St.Clair, Jerrod Carmichael, Paul Rust)
5. Time Bobby (PFT as Lord ALW, Bobby Moynahan as Fourvel)
6. Best Bro Hang
7. Finger Guns (Wompler and Lisler)
8. Climbing The Ladder (Bjork, Ice Ben Schwartz)
9. Wipeout! (You must buy your wife at least as much jewlery as you buy your horse)
10. Highly Illogical (Tim Heidecker spock impressions)

honestly thats not really a ranking so much as the show has been really great this year. These were just my favorites, and I love Gil Faison and George St Geegland a poo poo ton.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Hdlsa posted:

I know this will probably be considered heresy by CBB fans, but has anyone else getting sick of Paul F Tompkins lately?

i wish i was playing KNIFEGRAB right now

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I really want to see more Fourvel.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Mob posted:

i wish i was playing KNIFEGRAB right now

How did you grab all of those knives?

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Hdlsa posted:

I know this will probably be considered heresy by CBB fans, but has anyone else gotten sick of Paul F Tompkins lately? The first couple Cake Boss, Gary Marshall, and Andrew Lloyd Webber appearances were all great but recently they've grown very stale. His episodes with Jay Chandrasekhar, Justin Kirk, Bobcat Goldthwait, Weird Al and now this week with Gillian Jacobs have been totally forgettable. They aren't bad, but they're never as good as any episode with a character played by Matt Besser, Andy Daly, or James Adomian.

For one thing, PFT's regular characters have appeared so many times that their personalities and backgrounds have been pretty well established, so PFT isn't forced to improvise or explore his characters very much. When he does introduce a new element to his character (a Cake Boss power, ALW's amnesia in the Justin Kirk episode, etc.) it feels kind of forced.

Secondly, I think that Scott uses him too much as a crutch by pairing him with guests that don't have a background in improv or guests that aren't very funny on their own in order to balance out a show. However, because PFT's characters don't have a lot of room to grow, his episodes just turn into Scott and a weirdo talking to an awkward guest rather than a fun and unique CBB episode.

I see what you are getting at, and I respect your opinion, but you are so loving wrong it's disgusting. Matt Besser has been on like 3 episodes. Andy Daly is fantastic, sure, but he doesn't have PFT's range of characters. James Adomian lives in New York. Again, you are entitled to your opinion but don't you dare spread that filth here, Michael Cera's mom could be reading this.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

My personal Top Ten episodes so far this year would be...

1 Wipeout (Mantzoukas, Daly)
2 New No-Nos (St. Clair, Rust, Carmichael)
3 Time Bobby (Tompkins, Moynihan)
4 Best Bro Hang (Samberg, Pally)
5 Penises Abounding (Novak, Cenac, Key, Peele)
6 Series Regulars (Caplan, Mulaney, Kroll)
7 Friends Without Words (Jacobs, Tompkins, Lapkus)
8 Finger Guns (Parham, St. Clair)
9 Apickelypse (Brie, Mantzoukas, Odenkirk)
10 Out of Bleeps (Poehler, Mantzoukas, Adomian)

X-O fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Oct 16, 2012

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Thats a really good list. I love all of those eps. I didn't necessarily know I loved "New No No's" until I realized I was saying "New No No, Dad's the son now" a million times. Paul Rust is fantastic.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

That guy is dumb and his opinion is dumb but he might be right about Scott having PFT on with "weaker" guests. The Justin Kirk, Jay Chandrasekhar and Bobcat Goldthwait eps were all pretty forgettable. I don't know what kind of dumdum would think that's because of PFT though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Politicalrancor posted:

Thats a really good list. I love all of those eps. I didn't necessarily know I loved "New No No's" until I realized I was saying "New No No, Dad's the son now" a million times. Paul Rust is fantastic.

And Carmichael was probably one of the better first time guests they've had in a long time. He was totally game for everything. And of course Wompler. Not just my second favorite this year, probably in my Top Five of all episodes.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

RandolphCarter posted:

I really want to see more Fourvel.

He was on one of the summer tour episodes if you didn't know.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Deadpool posted:

And Carmichael was probably one of the better first time guests they've had in a long time. He was totally game for everything. And of course Wompler. Not just my second favorite this year, probably in my Top Five of all episodes.

When that ep plopped people were complaining about him and I couldn't fathom why. The whole bit about his aunt running his career as "Tiler Perry Productions" had me cracking up for a while. I might be a weirdo though, because I can listen to CBB like every day.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Politicalrancor posted:

This is one of my favorite episodes, Paul Rust is loving hilarious. Just reading what you wrote made me literally laugh out loud thinking about it.

As for PFT, I can agree that Scott pairs him with guests somewhat as a crutch. However, that doesn't make him any less enjoyable for me. Needless to say I thought this weeks episode was exceedingly good.

It's kind of surprising how consistent and funny this show has been over the years. I'm going to be sad when they end the show... or it runs out of steam. I wonder if the medium makes it easier to keep going since production is quick and they can bank episodes if they want to take time off.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

ElCondemn posted:

It's kind of surprising how consistent and funny this show has been over the years. I'm going to be sad when they end the show... or it runs out of steam.
I just got a cold shill vizualising this dystopian future.
My newly transformed beachfront property will be a small consolation of this horrible world.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Zsinjeh posted:

I just got a cold shill vizualising this dystopian future.
My newly transformed beachfront property will be a small consolation of this horrible world.
Oooooooh, baaaaaay-bee

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I am kinda bored with Cake Boss and Dame/Sir/Lord ALW, but Garry Marshall is still fun for me. And I would love to see Ice T make a comeback. I love his poorly-named money-making schemes.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

PFT has so many characters that it's probably hard to not dislike at least one. For me it's Mr. Brainwash and John C. Reilly. Luckily he only does those on his own show.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Max22 posted:

Oooooooh, baaaaaay-bee
Wait what happened? I thought you were going to go through the whole song?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
His Garry Marshall is just such an unrepentant dick that I can't help but love him when he comes on. Like, Cake Boss hates Scott well enough, and Herzog dismisses him enough, but Garry is the only one that pretty actively gets in the way of what Scott is doing. I also seems to be a voice that PFT has a lot of fun doing.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Cast No Engine posted:

I didn't think the character was bad, just the voice was really grating. She could have taken it down a couple notches and it would have been ok.

I completely agree, I quit ten minutes into Lapkus's character because I couldn't find the patience to bear with it. The voice affectation is that distracting, and I'm probably one of the few that doesn't mind Tom Lennon's abrasive Little Gary voice. I'll probably give it another try since this was apparently a good episode.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I WANT MORE DON DIMELO

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers

soggybagel posted:

I WANT MORE DON DIMELO

I love both PFT and Andy Daly equally but I have to agree.

I'm also starting to think I prefer Andy since he will consistently generate new characters I enjoy.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Well Daly has to keep generating new ones, as they are all suicidal and end up killing themselves. PFT definitely needs a new character or two, his normal appearances + live shows + tv show has give us a lot of his current ones lately.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

I really like his John C. Reilly. That voice just feels like the epitome of :buddy:
Though to be fair he was recently on the Pod F. Tompkast

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Hdlsa posted:

I know this will probably be considered heresy by CBB fans, but has anyone else gotten sick of Paul F Tompkins lately? The first couple Cake Boss, Gary Marshall, and Andrew Lloyd Webber appearances were all great but recently they've grown very stale.

I really liked the last episode (everyone was punchy as hell), but PFT was mostly making PFT-style observations in a Gary Marshall voice.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

bobservo posted:

I really liked the last episode (everyone was punchy as hell), but PFT was mostly making PFT-style observations in a Gary Marshall voice.

In terms of going, it's anything

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Outside of the Justin Kirk episode I've never been anything less than super happy about a PFT appearance, and that one was mainly because way too much time was spent on the amnesia gimmick. Totally agree about him being paired up with weaker guests a lot recently.

(I haven't listened to the latest one yet but Gillian Jacobs should be a nice change of pace there, she was great in her first two appearances)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Power of Pecota posted:

Outside of the Justin Kirk episode I've never been anything less than super happy about a PFT appearance, and that one was mainly because way too much time was spent on the amnesia gimmick. Totally agree about him being paired up with weaker guests a lot recently.

(I haven't listened to the latest one yet but Gillian Jacobs should be a nice change of pace there, she was great in her first two appearances)

I was most disappointed in that episode because apparently PFT and Kirk are actually pretty good friends and I expected them to work well together. Unfortunately it just didn't materialize on the show.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Hot Saucerman is on today's Pod F. Tompkast! I'm going to listen to it now!

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution
I have this fantasy where I win the Earwolf auction to be a guest on CBB, Paul F. Tompkins guests with me, and when we play Would You Rather I say "I have a question" before him

sadly I'm not exaggerating when I say "fantasy," it's a scenario I have played out in my mind several times.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Casey Wilson and Adam Pally are on today and here is a great thing they did last Saturday night https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAq5CnLws-E

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Fortunately Adam Pally and Casey Wilson are on the show today.

Unfortunately Scott sounds like a mentalist on most of the adverts.

Fortunately it's pretty hilarious.

Unfortunately I've ran out of things to say in this format.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Adam Pally is pretty talented. I'm glad CBB introduced me to him.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Haven't had a chance to listen to the show yet, but noticed on Twitter that Scott said we are are getting two shows this week. So that's awesome.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Lugaloco posted:

Fortunately Adam Pally and Casey Wilson are on the show today.

Unfortunately Scott sounds like a mentalist on most of the adverts.

Fortunately it's pretty hilarious.

Unfortunately I've ran out of things to say in this format.

Fortunately most improv games aren't meant to be played alone.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Deadpool posted:

Haven't had a chance to listen to the show yet, but noticed on Twitter that Scott said we are are getting two shows this week. So that's awesome.

Yeah, but remember the last time we got two episodes in one week?

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I'm sure this second episode with fan favorite Tim Heidecker will be well-received.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Fortunately I'm stranded on a desert island, so I have the chance to develop multiple personalities for improv games!

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

It felt like Scott was during this episode, Jesus were the guests this episode abysmal at the games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

xbilkis posted:

I'm sure this second episode with fan favorite Tim Heidecker will be well-received.

Heidecker's been getting better. "Highly Illogical" and one or two of the live shows he was on were pretty funny. I think he's finally realized that his normal anti-comedy thing just doesn't work on the podcast and that he's gotta actually work with Scott and the other guests.