Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

kalicki posted:

Does not buying an OCZ product still count if it's free?
They actually pay you $10 to take it, which is potentially worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
That should be an indicator of the value.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Civil posted:

That should be an indicator of the value.

Speaking of the value of ocz . . .

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Chuu posted:

Someone stored all the stock on one of their drives and..

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

kalicki posted:

Does not buying an OCZ product still count if it's free?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&Depa=0&Description=PPSSBRBN1022

(Free 64GB OCZ SSD with purchase of select barebones systems, including Zotac AD10)

Small sidenote, newegg runs this special all the time, I suspect because they are hugely inferior to the versions with the AMD E-series APUs, plus the GMA 3600 does not have (and never will have) 64-bit windows drivers. These units are also not as quiet as they should be -- I strongly suggest getting the new fanless versions.

Chuu fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Oct 17, 2012

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Chuu posted:

So glad to see that.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

evil_bunnY posted:

So glad to see that.

On a feel-good anecdote about OCZ, but unrelated to SSDs, my brother had an OCZ PSU he bought in the US several years ago, but he lost the modular cables when he moved back to the UK. They shipped him a brand new bag of cabling when he was asking where to buy them. I don't think the thing was even in warranty any more.

Not saying OCZ is a great company in all aspects, but I can see why people would think they're a good bet if there are customer support experiences like this floating around.

Just in case anyone managed to read this as a vote for OCZ, that's incorrect. I still wouldn't recommend OCZ, of course.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Oct 17, 2012

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I'm really not sure how seriously to take CPU magazine these days. I got a new (free) subscription to it because I subscribed and enjoyed the magazine ten years ago. Anyway, among other things they gush about OCZ SSDs and act like they're probably the best drives that you can get. I'm thinking this magazine may suck now.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Who is this OCZ and why are they so lovely?

I haven't heard anything about them except to "avoid them". Everything from shipping out replacement drives that had different internals with the same model number (screwing up someone's RAID) to having a crazy-high failure rates.

If all they've done is pissed people off, how are they still around? Where did they come from? I'd think a new start-up company that just sells turds would have immediately been killed by the market. Are they part of a larger company?

Packard Bell's entire business model was selling poop, so they were ran out of the US almost 20 years ago. Why is OCZ still around?

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Xenomorph posted:

Who is this OCZ and why are they so lovely?

OCZ made 'performance' RAM years ago. Like, 5-10 years ago sort of era.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Yeah, it was one of the first gaming-chic enthusiast computing outfits, and one of the first companies to develop and push worthwhile client SSDs. Think Corsair, except more about pushing boundaries than making solid products.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
OCZ had the most reliable RAM at one point, too bad they suck now.

Crucial has the lowest return rates now, in case you were wondering.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

What are you basing this statement upon?

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Glen Goobersmooches posted:

What are you basing this statement upon?

It was a long time ago, they don't make RAM anymore but the only place to check other return rates are here:

http://www.behardware.com/articles/862-4/components-returns-rates-6.html

They do them every few months

uhhhhahhhhohahhh fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 17, 2012

BadBeatsCrewDerk
Jul 18, 2005

WHAT IT DEW
BAD BEATS CREW
I bought a Kingston SSDNow V+100 64 GB (SVP100S2) on the cheap to throw in an old Inspiron 6400 I have. In the BIOS it does not show up, though. I updated the BIOS but no dice. I put the SSD in my primary computer which has a SSD/Win 7 setup -- with my normal drive it shows 128G in the BIOS, but with this Kingston it just says ATAPI.

Any idea what's going on here?

FWIW, the Inspiron's BIOS has no settings about SATA or AHCI. I've found forum articles bemoaning this fact, but I found other articles that mentioned several people were running SSDs in their Inspiron 6400s.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

BadBeatsCrewDerk posted:

Any idea what's going on here?
This is a garbage drive using an ancient Toshiba controller that didn't work properly when it was new. When you combine this with an ancient laptop that was made before the first SSD and you can see why this won't work.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

It's just an anecdotal quote, but even given Anand's relationship with OCZ now, even he recognizes how lovely their memory was.Link

Anand posted:

When I first met Ryan around a decade ago, he wanted to know why I wouldn't allow him to advertise OCZ on AnandTech. The company at that time had an extremely bad reputation. It was among the worst I'd ever seen. It was so bad that not only would we not review their products (memory, at the time) but I wouldn't allow OCZ ads to run on the site. Although all advertising on AnandTech is handled through a third party, I still have the ultimate say on what ends up on the site. Back then, OCZ wasn't allowed.

BadBeatsCrewDerk
Jul 18, 2005

WHAT IT DEW
BAD BEATS CREW

Alereon posted:

This is a garbage drive using an ancient Toshiba controller that didn't work properly when it was new. When you combine this with an ancient laptop that was made before the first SSD and you can see why this won't work.

Ostensibly this brand of drive does work, and people are able to get SSDs working in their Inspiron 6400s. So, do the signs point to the drive being bad, or is there something obvious I am not doing in order to make it work?

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

BadBeatsCrewDerk posted:

Ostensibly this brand of drive does work, and people are able to get SSDs working in their Inspiron 6400s. So, do the signs point to the drive being bad, or is there something obvious I am not doing in order to make it work?
Two machines, two ssds.

Old ssd, works in machine 1 but not(?) in laptop?
New ssd, does not work in machine 1 nor in laptop.

It's not unheard of that ssds are broken, i bought two intel 520s where the first one worked fine and the second didn't. I was lucky enough to have two identical drives to test in different machines, not that the support-guy really trusted my findings anyway, and were finally allowed to rma it.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Whats the word on SSDs in high temperature(45C+) environments?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Alereon posted:

That drive is awesome. I have one kicking around.

Mattress Man
Apr 3, 2009

:dukedog:
Any word on the Intel 330 reliability? Its just the 520 but with inferior NAND correct? We are looking at picking up a few SSD's at work and are on a tight budget but need reliability.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Yep, pretty much. It's the same stuff, just binned for lower endurance. AnandTech wrote two years worth of heavy use data with worst-case write amplification, and only used an average of 119 p/e cycles. That same article suggests that the drive thinks it will get 6k p/e cycles, at least for their sample.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 17, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Mattress Man posted:

Any word on the Intel 330 reliability? Its just the 520 but with inferior NAND correct? We are looking at picking up a few SSD's at work and are on a tight budget but need reliability.

The 330 also has a 3-year warranty compared to the 5-year warranty of the 520

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

Chuu posted:

Securities Fraud Class Action Lawsuit Against OCZ - these assholes are getting their comeuppance now.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

BadBeatsCrewDerk posted:

That SSD is garbage because it's so old that it dates from a time before SSDs were as fast or reliable as harddrives. That's why the very top of the OP specifically warns in bold and underline not to buy obsolete drives like this, severe reliability and compatibility issues. This Toshiba controller first received garbage collection (AT ALL) in an update well after release, and it's of such poor quality that the drive can be expected to wear out during normal use unless you keep a minimum of 30% free space and baby the hell out of it with writes.

The reality is that you simply can't buy an old poo poo drive and stuff it in an old system that was released well before the first SSD and expect it to work. There's a CHANCE it might work, but you should expect it not to and feel lucky if it does, because you ARE lucky. Hell, there's still a risk of compatibility issues even if you use a drive that generally CAN be expected to work. On systems without TRIM support, Sandforce-based drives are essentially mandatory due to their industry-leading garbage collection and low write amplification.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Alereon posted:

I put a :siren: warning at the top of the OP about Crucial firmware. It really sucks that they couldn't catch this in QA, but at least it's fixable without data loss or sending in the drive.
Thanks for this. I had the firmware downloaded to update from 000F to 01MG, and I'm glad I checked the thread before running it.

I have the mSATA version, but it's better to be safe than sorry on these things.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Mattress Man posted:

I've been using a 180GB 330 in my Mac Pro clone since they came out, and it's been absolutely flawless. It also comes with a remarkably high quality accessory set, definitely far beyond any other SSD I've bought (I've bought from a good number of SSD manufacturers). I would easily recommend a 330.

I can't really compare it against my Samsung 830 since the 830 is in a x130e and the 330 is in a machine with an i5-3570K.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Phoenixan posted:

Thanks for this. I had the firmware downloaded to update from 000F to 01MG, and I'm glad I checked the thread before running it.

I firmly believe there is no reason at all to do any kind of firmware/BIOS updates, including SSD ones, unless there is an actual issue with my hardware that requires it.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Someone recently posted Samsung SSD deals in the Coupons & Deals forum.

SAMSUNG 830 Series 2.5-Inch 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-7PC128B/WW $69.99

It's a pretty big price drop according to the price history.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Obsurveyor posted:

I firmly believe there is no reason at all to do any kind of firmware/BIOS updates, including SSD ones, unless there is an actual issue with my hardware that requires it.

I was going to ask this question. My 830 seems to run great out of the box so I was wondering if I should update its firmware.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Obsurveyor posted:

Depends on the firmware. I think you should at least read up on it, otherwise things like the 5000 hour bug will seem incomprehensible when it hits.

slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe

Eddain posted:

SAMSUNG 830 Series 2.5-Inch 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-7PC128B/WW $69.99

I saw this earlier, got me one of them. Hot drat. I kept missing these loving deals, but this is the lowest I've seen yet.

Next up, one of them ivy bridges.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

DamnGlitch posted:

Depends on the firmware. I think you should at least read up on it, otherwise things like the 5000 hour bug will seem incomprehensible when it hits.

Yeah that would fall under "actual issue with the hardware", I would imagine.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

DamnGlitch posted:

Dogen posted:

Yeah that would fall under "actual issue with the hardware", I would imagine.

Yeah, you have to follow and read release notes to know if there's an issue, unless you just hear about it.

I can give an example though: I recently upgraded to 32GB of memory and my boot times went to like 3 minutes. I typically never, ever update a motherboard BIOS unless I'm having trouble. Read through the release notes of the upgrades between what I had and what had been released and find a note about slow bootups with 32GB. I didn't see any other notes that might affect other things on my computer so I upgraded and went back to the 8 second boots I was expecting.

Obsurveyor fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 18, 2012

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
The company I work for was in a panic yesterday because we have a BIG show this month and the touch-screen computer they wanted to bring down there had a slow HD so they had me throw in a SSD that we had sitting around in the office...

loving OCZ please don't fail while they are down there :negative:

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Eddain posted:

Also, the 256GB is on sale for $155:

http://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-2-5-I...NK3H1N0KK275EAH

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Anand reviewed OWC's 1TB (well, 960GB) 2.5" Mercury Electra 3G SSD

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6200/owc-mercury-electra-3g-max-960gb-review-cramming-1tb-of-nand-inside-25-chassis

Basically they crammed 2 480GB SSD's into one package and put them in RAID 0. It's SATA 2.0 3GB/s only, slow as hell, sucks up a ton of power, so it's pretty much pointless unless you somehow must have 1TB of SSD storage and you only have one available 2.5" drive bay to stick it in.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
So I had a very interesting install process on my 830 last night that I wanted to share with y'all.

Using the SATA 6 Gb/s Marvell controller on an Asus P8P67 board turns out to be a very, very bad idea and won't let your SSD show up in Windows. Or your BIOS. Except in the BIOS boot override menu. Because that makes sense.

I thought I may have had a loose plug so I re-opened my system and somehow created a short that wouldn't let me boot. I unplugged everything trying to figure out what went wrong and was pretty sure I somehow broke my motherboard. Nothing worked until I put my case back upright out of frustration and everything suddenly worked again. It was around this time I figured out I accidentally used the Marvell controller instead of the Intel one. So I had to unplug everything and take my video card out again to get to the SATA plugs on the motherboard because my video card is obnoxiously large. :downs:

I ended up buying some one-off piece of software to do the OS migration because all the free tools wanted to make a system reserved partition that was 60 GB instead of 100 MB. Odd. I tried using the command line but even it was having weird problems. Maybe I was just using the command line wrong, who knows. The software did in 10 minutes what I had been trying and failing to do for 3 hours. I think the program was something called "OS to SSD Transfer". It was specifically created for these sorts of moves.

Thankfully after that I didn't have any more issues.

But hey, it was a pretty fun process now that it's done (it was not fun when my system wouldn't boot) and all my stuff loads really fast now. Thanks thread contributors for your posts!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
So you were Marvelling at how bad the controller is?

(Sorry for the pun; yes, it's poor, I have an ASUS P8Z68-V Pro and the Marvell controller isn't touching my boot drive).

• Locked thread