Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
The PKK doesn't represent all Kurds, I'd be interested in how Iraqi Kurdistan has dealt with the conflict.

I don't think it's a surprise that Chechens and other Caucasians would fight against a Russian ally, after what the Russians did to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Our boy Brown Moses is making it. :toot:

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I got a lot of kudos for the cluster bomb work, and that's something I'm still working on with HRW, so there's more to come on that.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Here's the State Department's version of events in at the US consulate in Benghazi.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Well that was an intense read. So the Ambassador died from smoke inhalation? When/who found him? I havents seen any details of this story other then headlines.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I've done a new cluster bomb post, with some info on another bomb type that's been introduced
http://brown-moses.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/new-cluster-bomb-videos-october-16th.html

boxorocks
May 13, 2007

Seriously congrats on getting more out of what you've been doing. You're doing an incredible job. Kudos to you!

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Brown Moses posted:

I've done a new cluster bomb post, with some info on another bomb type that's been introduced
http://brown-moses.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/new-cluster-bomb-videos-october-16th.html

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure this sentence doesn't make any sense:

quote:

You may have read about OFAB high explosive fragmentation bombs on my blog, which are very similar, the main difference being the thickness of the shell, with the OFABs thicker shell causing greater fragmentation compared to the FAB.

I'm guessing that information came off Jane's? It's not the thickness of the casing but the design of it that causes increased fragmentation.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Yes, it was from Jane's, is there a better explanation? Just the design is different?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
FAB is what you'd call a "general purpose" bomb. Wikipedia puts it pretty well:

Wikipedia posted:

A general-purpose bomb is an air-dropped bomb intended as a compromise between blast damage, penetration, and fragmentation in explosive effect.

OFAB is weighted more towards fragmentation at the expense of other characteristics. When designing a frag bomb you want to make sure the casing fragments into as many suitable-sized metal shards as possible. OFAB solves this by making the inside of the bomb saw-toothed. When the explosive goes, the casing splits along the thin parts, creating the maximum number of fragments possible. It's not as effective against armored targets or buildings but presents a greater threat to people and unarmored vehicles.

In practice both bombs are used in the same role. Rebels don't have that many armored vehicles anyway, so makes sense loyalists would go for maximum collateral damage and casualties.

e: and the reason the sentence stood out is, you never want to make shell casings thicker than you absolutely need to. You don't want to contain the explosion, you want to release it as much as possible. It's been one of the major military problems since World War 1: how to get the most out of the least?

Hob_Gadling fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Oct 16, 2012

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Bombadilillo posted:

Well that was an intense read. So the Ambassador died from smoke inhalation? When/who found him? I haven't seen any details of this story other then headlines.

There was a video posted a while ago where a bunch of civilians had rushed into the embassy and managed to pull him out of the rubble on camera. They were all exclaiming "He's alive!", so the attack itself wasn't what really killed him.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
Apparently Iraqi Shia militias are fighting for Assad.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/16/us-syria-crisis-iraq-militias-idUSBRE89F0PX20121016

quote:

Among them are defectors and former fighters from anti-U.S. Iraqi cleric Moqtada al-Sadr's Mehdi Army, the Iran-backed Badr group and Asaib al-Haq and Kata'ib Hezbollah, militias who once waged a bloody war on American troops, Shi'ite militants and Iraqi politicians say.
Some of the Iraqi militants are former Mehdi Army fighters who took refuge in Syria after 2007 when their group was crushed by Iraqi forces. Others, loyal to Khamenei as a religious authority, crossed over recently, fighters and Iraqi politicians say.

"We formed the Abu al-Fadhal al-Abbas brigade which includes 500 Iraqi, Syrian and some other nationalities," an Iraqi defector from the Mehdi Army who goes by the name of Abu Hajar told Reuters by satellite telephone from Syria.

"When the fighting erupted in our areas, we carried out some joint military operations side by side with the Syrian army to clean up areas seized by rebels," said Abu Hajar, who like others was a refugee in Syria before the conflict.

This is probably Assad's best hope for victory - whilst his Army is proving somewhat capable at holding large urban areas, it clearly can't overcome an irregular guerilla campaign, and doesn't have the time to adapt and reform. But if he can import enough irregulars of his own...

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

Well that was an intense read. So the Ambassador died from smoke inhalation? When/who found him? I havents seen any details of this story other then headlines.

It was actually Libyans that came to see what was going on that found him. They ran into the still burning consulate and dragged him out, taking him to a nearby hospital where he died of his injuries. There's actually a video of him being taken out of the building and it was initially believed by the crowd that he was alive.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.

mediadave posted:

Apparently Iraqi Shia militias are fighting for Assad.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/16/us-syria-crisis-iraq-militias-idUSBRE89F0PX20121016

This is probably Assad's best hope for victory - whilst his Army is proving somewhat capable at holding large urban areas, it clearly can't overcome an irregular guerilla campaign, and doesn't have the time to adapt and reform. But if he can import enough irregulars of his own...

The Russians did something vaguely similar to this in Chechnya during the second war there, though they used indigenous Pro-Russian militias and mercenaries.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
http://www.thenational.ae/news/world/africa/in-the-new-egypt-a-conflict-as-old-as-islam

The Shia are often a forgotten minority in Egypt.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
The Salafists are taking advantage of the instability. I hope that the majority of Egypt sticks to their freedom, rights and democracy rhetoric of the revolution.

In other news; an interesting piece on the FSAs push to take the last two Syrian regime military bases in the north: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkvgTNr7kY0

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Former Mossad chief Meir Dagan had a liver transplant in Belarus recently. Lukashenko waited until yesterday to mention that.

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/160993#.UH6WJ6HGah0

Meir Dagan made himself less than popular in some circles after saying Israel attacking Iran would be one of the stupidest things to do ever.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Oct 17, 2012

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Another helicopter downed in Idlib today. By downed I mean blown to poo poo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTmRZn98XxI

HCO Plumer GCB GCM
Apr 29, 2010

"Gentlemen, we may not make history tomorrow, but we shall certainly change the geography."

Brown Moses posted:

Jesus .. I have to assume that whatever was already on fire on that thing triggered an explosion in the fuel tank, or some ordinance.

Still, that's pretty conclusively a shoot-down.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

HCO Plumer GCB GCM posted:

Jesus .. I have to assume that whatever was already on fire on that thing triggered an explosion in the fuel tank, or some ordinance.

Still, that's pretty conclusively a shoot-down.

It sounds like they were continuing to shoot at it as it fell to earth, which may or may not have made it an easier target.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Highspeeddub posted:

Former Mossad chief Meir Dagan had a liver transplant in Belarus recently. Lukashenko waited until yesterday to mention that.

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/160993#.UH6WJ6HGah0

Meir Dagan made himself less than popular in some circles after saying Israel attacking Iran would be one of the stupidest things to do ever.

I thought Israel was supposed to have a great health care system, and Belarus...well, doesn't. Why would Dagan get a liver transplant in BELARUS?!

HCO Plumer GCB GCM
Apr 29, 2010

"Gentlemen, we may not make history tomorrow, but we shall certainly change the geography."

Young Freud posted:

It sounds like they were continuing to shoot at it as it fell to earth, which may or may not have made it an easier target.

Well, you can hear continued small-arms stuff, but drat .. if someone caused that explosion with small-arms .. that's a hell of a flukey shot. When the camera pans out from zoom, you can see it's still fairly high at the point where it explodes.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

suboptimal posted:

I thought Israel was supposed to have a great health care system, and Belarus...well, doesn't. Why would Dagan get a liver transplant in BELARUS?!

According to Lukashenko the US, Sweden and Germany all refused to admit him. Meir Dagan's spokesperson said that's not true, They went to Belarus because the wait times in those other countries were too long. Apparently complications have developed and Meir Dagan's condition is getting worse.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Brown Moses posted:

Somewhere Michael Bay is nodding 'now people will respect the realism in all my films'.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

HCO Plumer GCB GCM posted:

Well, you can hear continued small-arms stuff, but drat .. if someone caused that explosion with small-arms .. that's a hell of a flukey shot. When the camera pans out from zoom, you can see it's still fairly high at the point where it explodes.

Off in the distance you can hear some heavier caliber guns going off (specifically immediately before the sound of the explosion happens), so my guess is either ordnance exploded, fuel exploded, or it was hit by a HE shell from a 20mm+ AA gun. Or a combination of those.

That thing blew the gently caress up, though.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Oct 17, 2012

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Egypt's Constituent Assembly, the body selected to write the country's first post-revolution constitution, has been releasing draft articles from the prospective charter over the past few days. Apparently some of the new articles really pissed off the judiciary, and there were rumors yesterday that the courts had declared the Constituent Assembly to be unconstitutional. Those rumors were quickly walked back, but a ruling is expected regarding its constitutionality is expected on Oct. 23.

While I'm pretty good with Egyptian politics, I'm a bit stumped here- if the courts rule that this Constituent Assembly is unconstitutional, does that mean they'll have to select a new constituent assembly and write a new constitution from scratch?

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

CeeJee posted:

Somewhere Michael Bay is nodding 'now people will respect the realism in all my films'.

It only exploded once though, not 5 or 6 times

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Young Freud posted:

It seems that the aircraft was already on the way down, with the pilot trying to correct the spin and slow down enough to survive the crash. Evasive maneuvering is impossible at that point, so the helicopter either got hit by an explosive or something volatile on board exploded.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Brown Moses posted:

Holy crap!

mitztronic posted:

It only exploded once though, not 5 or 6 times
Yeah, and there wasn't enough Shia Labeouf.

suboptimal posted:

In countries with universal healthcare there's often a pretty long waiting list for organ transplants, so it's not uncommon for people with money to go elsewhere for an organ transplant, being able to pay their way to the top of the list.

Darkman Fanpage fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 17, 2012

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Brown Moses posted:

:tviv:

Seems like we get one of those videos every other day now. A combination of rebels capturing more AA weaponry and practice/developing doctrines to deal with the constant air bombardments?

The Mi-8 is probably the least suitable aircraft the regime got for flying over those cities with that in mind.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Well they must have captured a lot of AA ammo from those air defence bases they raided, and certainly at least some ZU-23-2s, and when they start getting massed up with plenty of ammo they can pose a real threat to helicopters.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

VikingSkull posted:

Off in the distance you can hear some heavier caliber guns going off (specifically immediately before the sound of the explosion happens), so my guess is either ordnance exploded, fuel exploded, or it was hit by a HE shell from a 20mm+ AA gun. Or a combination of those.

That thing blew the gently caress up, though.

Looks like the ordinance it was carrying went off.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Warbadger posted:

Looks like the ordinance it was carrying went off.

The blast pattern is consistent with a high explosive going off in the helicopter, either due to onboard ordnance or the FSA hitting it with something powerful. I don't see any trace of something hitting the chopper, so most likely it was carrying a missile that exploded because of the fire.

Either way, the question's not going to make a difference in the outcome of the war.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Chamale posted:

The blast pattern is consistent with a high explosive going off in the helicopter, either due to onboard ordnance or the FSA hitting it with something powerful. I don't see any trace of something hitting the chopper, so most likely it was carrying a missile that exploded because of the fire.

Either way, the question's not going to make a difference in the outcome of the war.

Might be one of those DIY barrel bombs they've been using, I'm sure they'd be pretty volatile in a situation like that.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Brown Moses posted:

Might be one of those DIY barrel bombs they've been using, I'm sure they'd be pretty volatile in a situation like that.

Do they put those on helicopters? Dropping them out of one would be incredibly dangerous and inaccurate.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Brown Moses posted:

Well they must have captured a lot of AA ammo from those air defence bases they raided, and certainly at least some ZU-23-2s, and when they start getting massed up with plenty of ammo they can pose a real threat to helicopters.

It's likely no coincidence that we've seen more shoot downs recently. Increasing experience on the rebel side and better AA equipment are a dangerous combination for Regime pilots.

It was most likely something on board going up. That is a pretty big explosion for what is likely 23mm AAA.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Zeroisanumber posted:

Do they put those on helicopters? Dropping them out of one would be incredibly dangerous and inaccurate.

Yeah, I've seen a few videos of what looks like a barrel bomb drop, for example
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO84IVcHliI

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Zeroisanumber posted:

Right, they toss them out of helicopters.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Chamale posted:

It'd take a pretty big shell to make an explosion like that. 23mm and 30mm HE AAA (hell, even 57mm) would have looked like tiny flashes at that distance. Even MANPADs don't make big pretty bangs like that one.

Edit: A barrel bomb going off in it is definitely a possibility.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

suboptimal posted:

There is literally no place in the world you don't have a great health care system if you are rich. Might as well go somewhere where it's...less bureaucratically difficult...to get your hands on some organs.

• Locked thread