Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Technique posted:

That would only be, like, the first act of the game, man. After that it'd head right into uncharted waters as he just kind of bumbles around and prototypes both tiers of his kernel with a fedora and, i dunno, makes a cat hair moustache. It'd be the best game ever and it would be awesome.

And if you pre-ordered it, you'd get a Genuine Fancy Fedora and a Genuine Jarate in TF2.

...Make it a Genuine Candy-Corn Fedora and a Jarate reskin instead of Jarate itself (Piss Flask, anyone?), and you've got a deal. :colbert:

Hussie, please be reading this thread

Monathin fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Oct 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

I don't know anything about Xamag or Russia, so when she was described as a '16-year-old illustrator living in Russia's Ural mountains' I just pictured a girl sitting cross-legged at the altar of a wide-plan temple surrounded by countless pieces of Homestuck art.

Brass Key
Sep 15, 2007

Attention! Something tremendous has happened!
I just woke up from a dream where all the kickstarter reward packages arrived, and every one of them was packaged with Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff: The Mioyvie: The Game. (For Xbox!) The sprites were these awful poser monstrosities on a sidescrolling scribble background, the controls made no sense, and the soundtrack was screeches and sped up unintelligible rap. I'm almost disappointed it doesn't exist.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
The only reason it doesn't is because LittleBigPlanet is Playstation exclusive.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Hey, here's a question: some universes have multiple attempted sessions, but if any one session scratches it reboots the home universe. What happens to the other sessions? Does the game/timeline just make sure that only the destined session scratches, if it does? Could there have been other sessions still running, even succeeding, whose prophecized end was our heroes scratching theirs?

Something like this might be used to explain where the fantrolls came from, escaping their A1 session into paradox space before the 'main' session scratched theirs (assuming A1 had multiple sessions, like B1).

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
I think it's like Karkat's simile with Crash Bandicoot. All other sessions would still be going on, but a new univers is created wherein the meteors fall differently this time. So the kids' session is wiped out of existance, but fedora freak is still god tier in his session. All of those sessions are probably doomed though...

This is basically headcanon so take with a grain of salt?

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off

SteelAngel2000 posted:

That first page of Gamzee going nuts when he messages Karkat was one of the best moments ever in this thread.

"You have never been so scared in your entire life"

This was one of the prime moments where it rules to be a serial reader. This whole sequence was incredibly intense having to sit and watch the (relatively) slow trickle of updates, bit by agonizing bit, watching this thread be legitimately terrified by what was happening, and I think blowing through it archivally a lot of that dramatic tension is lost.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I hope the game will include like a mini Problem Sleuth adventure game, kind of like how you can play the original Maniac Mansion from within Day of the Tentacle.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
In keeping with the spirit of disappointing embedded mini-games everywhere, it will be an afterlife-themed anthology of board games.

Which is to say, regular board games.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

CidGregor posted:

This was one of the prime moments where it rules to be a serial reader. This whole sequence was incredibly intense having to sit and watch the (relatively) slow trickle of updates, bit by agonizing bit, watching this thread be legitimately terrified by what was happening, and I think blowing through it archivally a lot of that dramatic tension is lost.

Perhaps, but im glad i wasn't forced to wait. As it was, I wound up staying up an hour later than usual last night just trying to find a good place to stop. Can't wait to get out of work today and plow through more of it.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

CidGregor posted:

This is actually the part where I caught up from archive reading. So it went from silly inventory systems to :gonk:

Trollpocalypse :argh:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

CidGregor posted:

We were all entirely sure that Gamzee was going to just burst out of that lovely pile of horns and that Karkat was dead.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I caught up just in time for Kanaya to develop a shocking case of wwhite science.

Right through her torso!

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I started reading from the beginning. :toot:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
I started reading juuust before [S] WV: Rise Up. The current update at the time I started reading was these three pages, which I looked at before I started the comic proper. It was... more than a little perplexing!

Which makes it the perfect way to start reading Homestuck, really.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dolash posted:

Hey, here's a question: some universes have multiple attempted sessions, but if any one session scratches it reboots the home universe. What happens to the other sessions? Does the game/timeline just make sure that only the destined session scratches, if it does? Could there have been other sessions still running, even succeeding, whose prophecized end was our heroes scratching theirs?

Something like this might be used to explain where the fantrolls came from, escaping their A1 session into paradox space before the 'main' session scratched theirs (assuming A1 had multiple sessions, like B1).

The energy released from Skaia by the scratch erases the Incipisphere and everything in it, and the next iteration of the parent universe produces an entirely new session. Things that are outside of the Incipisphere are not erased, but the only ordinary way to exit the Incipisphere is to enter the Furthest Ring, either as a ghost (which means you're dead) or physically (which means you're probably going to become hopelessly lost in the warped geometry and chronometry of the abyss). Dave and Rose, and later, the meteor dwellers, were able to safely chart a course, and John and Jade escaped through the weird author dimension limbo that's on the other side of mysterious fenestrated planes.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Elysiume posted:

I started reading from the beginning. :toot:

I started reading near the end of the DMK battle (early 2009). :hf:

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Sherrard posted:

This is the moment where I've been fully converted, the moment I Get It

You're exactly two years behind the rest of us. :v:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
I'm sad that Terezi's gifs haven't made a comeback.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride

Seoinin posted:

I'm sad that Terezi's gifs haven't made a comeback.

I think it's for the best; prolonged exposure to the smug cracker parlor wiggle results in brain artifacting.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Well I'm not saying anything or anything, but you know who totally wouldn't be falling down on their gif-making duties? Latula.

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin' is all.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Dolash posted:

Other than our glimpse at Fedorafreak and the mentions of early failed sessions, we haven't really seen canonical examples of how alternate sessions from the same planet would have ended up. I think Hussie may have addressed this in a post somewhere, but while I can't remember the details, I don't recall him being entirely dismissive of the idea.

I think there's a chance the Scratch only affects the Incisisphere where it originated, along with the home world in question. We haven't seen any evidence that the Scratch affects anything outside the incisisphere where it originates, since it doesn't bother the horrorterrors or dream bubbles, nor did the Scratching from the human session affect the Troll's incisiphere or their universe.

Furthermore, both the ship team and the meteor team had to make a really, really long journey to reach the post-scratch human incisiphere, which tells me that even sessions from the same planet may be placed really far apart from one another in the first place. And as we've seen, just getting out of their incisisphere somehow seems to be enough to escape from a Scratch.

There's also no particular reason for the game to wipe multiple ongoing sessions if one hits the reset button, since it could cut down on the chances of a successful game managing to win. (Unless only one universe is ever born from a planet, then maybe other sessions inadvertently sabotaging one another may be a thing destiny uses to help enforce that, dunno.)

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Midnight Raider posted:

Furthermore, both the ship team and the meteor team had to make a really, really long journey to reach the post-scratch human incisiphere, which tells me that even sessions from the same planet may be placed really far apart from one another in the first place. And as we've seen, just getting out of their incisisphere somehow seems to be enough to escape from a Scratch.

The ship has a long journey because that's how much space there had to be between the two walls. The meteor crew started their journey back at the Green Sun. It's possible the new session is right where the old one is, and they have to take a longer journey because furthest ring, space, time, distort, etc blah blah blah.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

I don't think other sessions really come into it.

For instance even before they entered the game, it was apparent that although they weren't having the only sessions theirs was unique. For instance:

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=002776

The two biggest meteors were headed for Dave and Jade, which is either a complete coincidence or indication of special status. Similarly out of all the inhabitants of the planet, the trolls, the creators of their universe, happened to take a special interest in them.

Basically the other sessions don't matter. John, Rose, Jade and Roxie are PCs. The rest are NPCs.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Seoinin posted:

Well I'm not saying anything or anything, but you know who totally wouldn't be falling down on their gif-making duties? Latula.

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin' is all.

Pretty sure if you can trust anyone to fall down on the job, it's Latula. :colbert:

team overhead smash posted:

Similarly out of all the inhabitants of the planet, the trolls, the creators of their universe, happened to take a special interest in them.

That was because Dave sent Terezi a shitload of money.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

team overhead smash posted:

I don't think other sessions really come into it.

For instance even before they entered the game, it was apparent that although they weren't having the only sessions theirs was unique. For instance:

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=002776

The two biggest meteors were headed for Dave and Jade, which is either a complete coincidence or indication of special status. Similarly out of all the inhabitants of the planet, the trolls, the creators of their universe, happened to take a special interest in them.

Basically the other sessions don't matter. John, Rose, Jade and Roxie are PCs. The rest are NPCs.

Yeah. If other (potentially successful) sessions are even a thing that is happening aside from the 'main' ones we see then they would have to operate on a fundamentally different basis given what we know about how the reckoning works, the role exiles play, and the issue of ectobiology creating the players and first guardian.
It could maybe be used as the set-up for the adventure game, letting Hussie keep the same general themes and flavor while also giving him the license to rework the mechanical details.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
It would actually be pretty cool if the adventure game started with a normal Sburb session (FedoraFreak's OBVIOUSLY) running concurrently with the "main" session, and then at some point you'd learn that the Scratch was gonna happen and suddenly the game stops being about winning Sburb and starts being about finding a way to get the gently caress out of there. It'd be a pretty cool twist, and it'd make things a lot more interesting plot-wise, since a totally normal Sburb session would honestly be kind of boring now that we know more or less how they usually play out.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Renaissance Robot posted:

Pretty sure if you can trust anyone to fall down on the job, it's Latula. :colbert:

That was because Dave sent Terezi a shitload of money.

That's such a linear way of thinking about it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The overwhelming majority of sessions on Earth never made it into the Incipisphere. If it weren't for FedoraFreak, I'd feel confident saying that none of them did, and that's why/because none of them were destined to (in the roundabout self-causing way characteristic of alpha timelines). But if FedoraFreak actually did make it into a session, and it wasn't the kids' session (that is, he didn't just live in Dave's apartment complex or was cutting through John's backyard to dash back to work after rescuing his tie or something silly like that), then the only explanation is this:

The Scratch does not reset the universe at all. We know that all the iterations of a universe overlaid within the same Genesis Frog just simultaneously exist (and, in the case of universe B, are destroyed at the same point in their respective timelines); a Scratch causes one of those other iterations to have always developed from different starting conditions w.r.t. important meteors. Any given session is not just associated with a universe, but with a particular instance of that universe, and any differences between the instances are caused at least indirectly by Skaia (recall that even in the most extreme case, the differences between Beforus and Alternia were almost exclusively set in motion by Doc Scratch, who was created in session A2 and sent back in time via meteor).

(Side note: if there were two frog temples on Alternia, why did only one of them have a First Guardian in it? Could there have been, if you will, a Second Guardian there? We also don't know what Beforus' First Guardian was. There's a possibility this will become important.)

This implies at least a theoretical possibility of another session originating in universe B1, and even on earth. This session would be played out by a second group of meteor-borne kids, and they'd have to do it without the Frog Temple and the Forge, which might mean no frog breeding and therefore no possibility of success (though it's possible that the association of Space players, frog temples, the Forge, and frog breeding is coincidental). It also means they'd be playing without the intervention of Earth's First Guardian, who, in facilitating the planet's Ultimate Purpose, was exclusively concerned with Jade.

Interesting stuff. At least, I hope so. I don't want to be the only one trying to figure this out.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I think it's interesting too, and I think you might be on to something there. It's worth remembering that the only reason the universe was destroyed was because Bec Noir used the red miles to kill the Genesis Frog. There's no reason that the Scratch Reset couldn't just create a new alternate universe where start conditions are different (and wipes the incipisphere that caused the scratch while it's at it) but keep the "old" universe around for the other sessions.

My guess is Hussie made the Scratch mechanic without really considering how it interacts with multiple sessions. The other session mechanics can coexist fine. There's no reason there couldn't be exiles from FedoraFreak's session wandering the earth at the same time, or meteors carrying the ectobiological spawn back in time from multiple sessions - or not, perhaps, if these things are merely the hallmarks of more successful sessions and the othersessions are fine with ending in a big heap of paradoxes and not getting these other things going.

Only the Scratch explicitly interferes with the other sessions, and while overhead smash is right that the other sessions aren't really meant to matter they still run according to the same mechanics as the primary session, they're just doomed to failure. That some other session could've had a scratch and pulled the carpet out from under our heroes is an odd consequence that I don't think anyone's considered before, but of course, it can be conveniently ignored by having it never happen because of the power of the authour.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Where was it said that the Scratch interferes with other sessions? It quite explicitly only erased the incipisphere of B1 and copied the meteors that originated in B1 into a different instance of the universe.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Bongo Bill posted:

Where was it said that the Scratch interferes with other sessions? It quite explicitly only erased the incipisphere of B1 and copied the meteors that originated in B1 into a different instance of the universe.

Well, I mean, if it does reboot the same instance of B1 that the other games are connected to (which is what one would assume), then that'd be a pretty explicit case where one session can destroy the thing the rest are anchored to, but if it's just that a new, reset instance of the universe is created in parallel then no problem.

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.
I am still holding out hope that fedorafreak is B2 dad. Maybe he has some weird crockercorp cross-reality-serious-buisness-ing PDA.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

The Scratch only interferes with alternate sessions if we assume Scratching isn't just a fancy way of creating an alternate timeline in which the only guarantee is that you and your party will exist in some fashion and that your current session ends.

Independent sessions scratching would only serve to create more branching timelines, but would otherwise function superficially the same as we've seen here.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jorenko posted:

I am still holding out hope that fedorafreak is B2 dad. Maybe he has some weird crockercorp cross-reality-serious-buisness-ing PDA.

You're holding out hope for something that makes no sense whatsoever?

Actually it goes beyond making no sense - fedorafreak's saga directly contradicts the idea that he could be B2 Dad. He references the destruction of his house and the death of his family. B2 Dad enters the Medium along with Jane.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Just got the email to specify stuff for my kickstarter rewards. Now to figure out what the hell size to get the gamegrl shirt in, certainly not my size I don't think I could reach the irony levels needed to pull it off.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Oh I guess I need to actually choose whether I want a Prospit or Derse shirt. Are there pictures of the actual shirts anywhere?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dolash posted:

Well, I mean, if it does reboot the same instance of B1 that the other games are connected to (which is what one would assume), then that'd be a pretty explicit case where one session can destroy the thing the rest are anchored to, but if it's just that a new, reset instance of the universe is created in parallel then no problem.

The Scratch only erases the incipisphere, not the universe that spawned it. From the perspective of chronologically linear participants, it was still April 13, 2009 when the Scratch happened, but the universe was still around in the year 2422 when Earth was destroyed by Red Miles. The Scratch erases the session and creates copies of the player meteors to send into a new instance of the parent universe, which is functionally equivalent to starting the universe over if the universe only spawns one session. Preserving the fiction that the players' session is the only session in their entire universe seems like a Sburban thing to do, so characterizing a Scratch as "restarting the universe" isn't all wrong.

We've seen that nothing in an alpha timeline can ever be undone, and that sessions and universes exist in separate (albeit related) timelines.

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR

ActionZero posted:

Just got the email to specify stuff for my kickstarter rewards. Now to figure out what the hell size to get the gamegrl shirt in, certainly not my size I don't think I could reach the irony levels needed to pull it off.

Do you think they're the normal What Pumpkin size? Topatoco size? I'm trying to figure out sizing myself but sometimes different sites can have really different size standards...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

Regy Rusty posted:

You're holding out hope for something that makes no sense whatsoever?

Actually it goes beyond making no sense - fedorafreak's saga directly contradicts the idea that he could be B2 Dad. He references the destruction of his house and the death of his family. B2 Dad enters the Medium along with Jane.

Maybe I've forgotten the exact particulars, but I was thinking that the house destruction could still be in B2's future. And the only thing that would need to happen vis-a-vis dead family would be that he and Jane manage to avoid meeting back up until after the events of fedorafreak's chatlog; it's not unreasonable for him to assume she's dead after the (theoretical, future) houseboom.