Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Thundercracker posted:

I never figured out a good way to do rivets though, and didn't feel like buying a custom rivet puncher since I didn't build too many Orks. Maybe someone here has a tip.

http://www.terragenesis.co.uk/infopages/page180.html

Terragenesis is the best ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

humannature posted:

I kinda want to run an ork list like this. Max amount of big guns with rows upon rows of shoota boyz. Maybe some nob bikers as cavalry.

Genuinely going to build this army.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

I've been mulling over trying a winged Daemon Prince. I know everyone thinks they're overcosted (and they are), but coming from Tyranids they're pretty comparable to flying choppy Hive Tyrants which I've had some success with.

For 245 points you can get a Nurgle Daemon Prince with wings and the Black Mace. He has a 3+ cover save anytime time he Swoops (Dive) or stands on area terrain thanks to Shrouded. Once he reaches combat he has a gross 5+D6 WS9 S6 AP2 attacks with Fleshbane at I8. He doesn't have an armor save, but few units will ever survive to even attempt to swing back at him. Also WS9 means WS4 hits you on 5+. The only problem I see with him is the lack of assault grenades.

This might not be the most competitive choice but he can certainly do some damage. Thoughts?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I'd get him an armor save, as splinter weapons will just demolish him. Other than that, pretty awesome. I've had the same idea.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000

Fuegan posted:

I forgot how easy but fun Necrons are to paint. Not in a "drybrush metal aaaand done" kind of way but experimenting with things to make them stand out.
The rest of the gun details aren't finished but I was quite happy with how the barrel turned out.

From a couple of pages back, but I really like the look of the "glowstick", well done! How was that achieved, wet blending? I've got a lava-themed necron force, but never got the rods to look like, want to steal this design for my own benefit.

Kosmonaut
Mar 9, 2009

VendaGoat posted:

We could talk about army strategies if you like. I'd actually be interested in hearing from different players on how they see their army, strengths and weaknesses. Guard are hugely mutable and it's another reason that drew me to them.

Space Marines

Strengths:
- Modularity. My units may not be much good at anything in particular but they bring a little bit of everything so it's not a huge deal if they're not being supported by much.
- Cost-effective fire support. Autocannon Dreads and Predators pack a lot of punch for cheap, and Sternguard are expensive but have very little trouble massacring anything in the game if they're kitted out right.
- Dedicated assault units. Point for point, hammer-and-shield Terminators are one of the best assault units in the game, and even if the enemy shoots them to death before they can assault, they've absorbed an incredible amount of firepower that would have otherwise been pointed at your troops and fire support.

Weaknesses:
- Lack of focus. The army excels at shooting but most of its potential is tied up in a few units, for the rest I have Tactical Marines with bolters. They're durable, flexible, and far too expensive to take in the kind of numbers it would take to make them effective. They will outshoot most assault units and out-assault most gunline units, but put them up against a unit in its element and they will fold quickly.
- Numbers. Space Marines can expect to be outnumbered by most enemies that aren't also Space Marines, but they don't have Grey Knights' equipment and psychic support or Blood Angels' speed and durability to make up for it.
- The assault phase in general. Yeah, I have Assault Terminators, it's great, I love it. The entire rest of my army is piss-terrified of anything from Gaunts on up.

Imperial Guard

Strengths:
- Numbers. With the Imperial Guard I never have to worry about leaving out an essential element, my units are cheap enough that I can cover all my bases. I can do this literally, too: if I choose to, I can set up a firebase on every ruin in my deployment zone that packs everything it needs to keep fighting even if the rest of my army is destroyed.
- Firepower. From the beginning of the game, I can expect to project enough long-range firepower to threaten anything visible from my deployment zone, with almost no regard to what exactly is in my list. I can package that firepower in all kinds of convenient platforms, from artillery to flying tank hunters to suicide melta bricks. I can vary how much of that firepower starts on the board and how much sneaks in later to gently caress up your midfield once it sticks its head out without having to worry about having no presence on the first turn.
- Distributed threats. This relates to firepower and numbers but doesn't necessarily follow from them. With a few exceptions, I'm not presenting a wall of cannon fodder with a few scary units sticking out. I'm presenting a wall of threats and forcing you to make careful decisions about target priority.

Weaknesses:
- Fragile units. Even the heaviest of my tanks is very vulnerable from the rear (and hence to assault), and my most durable units are generally huge infantry blobs whose numbers are depleted quickly. I may have lots of heavy firepower units pointed at you, but none of them individually can stand up to focused fire.
- My old nemesis, the assault phase. Not much to say about this -- in 5th the Imperial Guard's one trick in close combat was blobs with Commissars, and the Commissars are a lot easier to snipe in 6th.
- Maneuver. While mech and hybrid builds have the ability to reposition key units quickly, those units are either not firing or firing at greatly reduced capacity that turn. The grave threat posed by any sort of assault creates the possibility of one or two enemy units screwing up my entire backfield just by forcing them to choose between standing and firing or moving and living.

Dark Eldar

Strengths:
- Threat profiles. Most of my units (at least when combined with their transports) care very little what they're shooting at; in all likelihood they're going to ruin it. By the same token, I'm no more scared of your lascannons than your heavy bolters. The build decisions that make you stronger against most armies make you easier to kill piecemeal with Dark Eldar.
- Poisoned shooting. Against most infantry, this makes little or no difference. Against monstrous creatures, it murders your expensive units with minimal fuss, especially when combined with the darklight weapons that usually accompany it. Nidzilla builds are likely to be tabled, and Grey Knights tend to wither under the weight of fire.
- Mobility. Unless you also brought Dark Eldar, I am simply faster than you, and I have no reason to sit still. My fragility forces me to hug cover and isolate your units, and I'm fast enough to do it. Unless you're able to keep all your units clumped together and mutually supported, I'm going to pick off your guys and make sure there's nothing you can do about it.

Weaknesses:
- Threat profiles. My greatest strength is also my greatest weakness. My units are fragile and bring flexible and powerful weapons across the board. What does that mean for your target priority? You shoot whatever I was dumb enough to give you a bead on, and chances are it doesn't survive.
- Attrition, as in the thing I can't win a war of. It's not enough for me to suicide your units, which I certainly have the firepower to do. I can't afford to keep making those trades for the whole game. I have to make sure that at least in most cases, my units can escape with their lives after they land the killing blow.
- Objectives. Some armies have Troops units that can weather enemy firepower and return it, but Dark Eldar is not one of them. I can park a unit of Wracks there and hope the rest of my army is shooty enough to deal with them only putting out a single darklight shot a turn, or I can park a unit of Warriors and hope you ignore them.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dark Angels:

Strengths:
- Fearless TH/SS terminators as troops.

Weaknesses:
- Everything else in the codex is overpriced.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Dark Angels:

Strengths:
- Fearless TH/SS terminators as troops who can strap missile launchers to their armor

Weaknesses:
- Everything else in the codex is overpriced.

Just a minor edit :v:

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

VogeGandire posted:

I've never scratchbuilt anything. Now that I'm considering orks, I've realized I have no imagination at all.

Where do you get things to build off of?

Ebay. Get paint stripper, go for damaged models with awful paint jobs. You will get them cheap. A tau tank for £6, a battlewagon for £12, a rhino for £5 etc.

Look at other conversions for inspiration, but then look at what you would change. The best conversions have an insane amount of attention to detail so I would start small if you are just starting out.

But remember the essentials:

Get Plasticard/Styrene sheets - 0.5mm 1mm and 1.5mm:
http://www.stationroadbaseboards.co.uk/

Get Styrene rods:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/60-pcs-As...=item5d34c31bee

You really want to buy something like this. These can be gun barrels, exhausts, axles, pistons, grenades, pipes, weapon handles, wires, scopes, ammunition etc. Go for a variety of sizes. I have done many, many conversions with just one selection like this, and I still have the majority of the rods left.

Get Wires:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Green-Flo...=item3f1371dd73

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thin-Silv...=item3374add567

One of each would last you a lifetime.

Get tools:

1) Sharp knife with replaceable blades. A jewellery saw is also useful for metals.
2) Drill - go for 1mm, 1.5mm 2mm and 3/4mm. - I cannot stress enough how important these are
3)Greenstuff - very, very useful.
4)Files, Ruler, Clipper, Pliers, sculpting tools etc.

With Orks, remember that anything you convert should look like it will work, mechanically, to a child of 10.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

I hang out on the Penny Arcade forums along with this one, and one of my buddies over there caught a guy using loaded dice at Beakycon. The thing about it was not just that he found out the guy was cheating, but the guy wasn't actually kicked out (just disqualified from winning prizes) of the tournament and the other players weren't told later when they were playing games against him what he did. The extra layer of complexity is that this could be because he's a 40k Wrecking Crew club member and they might have been trying to brush this under the rug.

Well, that's not going to happen anymore since my buddy went to Blood of Kittens, and here's the article: Link

What do you guys think the consequences should be for cheating like that? Should there be some kind of a black-list for prize supported tournaments? I would never want to see this guy at the final table at Adepticon.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

TheLawinator posted:

What do you guys think the consequences should be for cheating like that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwF1zGrNriI

How do you even catch someone using loaded dice? Just have them consistently roll like a boss and call a judge over?

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Sab669 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwF1zGrNriI

How do you even catch someone using loaded dice? Just have them consistently roll like a boss and call a judge over?

My friend saw the same loaded dice at the Chessex booth at PAX prime this year. Dude busts his out for the deployment roll, rolls a 6. My friend recognizes it, takes it, rolls a couple more 6's, then calls the judge.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

TheLawinator posted:

What do you guys think the consequences should be for cheating like that?

Ejection from the game event and disqualification from any/all competitions at the complete event.

Heckling and name calling as warranted.

You don't need to destroy that person's army in a fit of vengeance. They simply need to be shown, harshly if necessary, that cheating is not acceptable.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

TheLawinator posted:

My friend saw the same loaded dice at the Chessex booth at PAX prime this year. Dude busts his out for the deployment roll, rolls a 6. My friend recognizes it, takes it, rolls a couple more 6's, then calls the judge.

What do you mean 'the same dice'? Like, Chessex was advertising weighted dice and he saw someone using dice that looked the same?

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Sab669 posted:

What do you mean 'the same dice'? Like, Chessex was advertising weighted dice and he saw someone using dice that looked the same?

Yes, they're called "character rollers" by chessex.

They're kind of a funny size and the roll really oddly. Pretty obvious if you've seen them before.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
WOM and I were at that tournement. We were under the impression that the dude was ejected from the tournament, but apparently that was wrong. We never learned who it was and I really do want to know. I run events occasionally here and I don't want him in any of my RTTs.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Oh, ok, that makes a lot more sense then. I thought it was just a pack of normal-sized D6 and the guy was just rolling real well for a game or something.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

MasterSlowPoke posted:

WOM and I were at that tournement. We were under the impression that the dude was ejected from the tournament, but apparently that was wrong. We never learned who it was and I really do want to know. I run events occasionally here and I don't want him in any of my RTTs.

Cesar Vasquez. My friend didn't name names because he's a nice guy, but I don't have that problem.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Kosmonaut posted:

Dark Eldar

- Objectives. Some armies have Troops units that can weather enemy firepower and return it, but Dark Eldar is not one of them. I can park a unit of Wracks there and hope the rest of my army is shooty enough to deal with them only putting out a single darklight shot a turn, or I can park a unit of Warriors and hope you ignore them.

I like this write up, but I would add that it's worth remembering that while Wyches and Kabalite are made of soggy toilet paper in the open, a trashed Raider can give you a cover save, and while going to ground in it you're a lot more survivable on the objective. Not for long, but maybe long enough.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

TheLawinator posted:

Cesar Vasquez. My friend didn't name names because he's a nice guy, but I don't have that problem.

What army did he play?
e: the cheater, that is

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Oct 17, 2012

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Mango Polo posted:

What army did he play?

Space Marines.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
This is probably economically impractical, but could tournaments, at least the larger ones, not provide the players with dice? Spread the cost across the ticket prices, and the players get to take however many customised dice home as mementos.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

This is probably economically impractical, but could tournaments, at least the larger ones, not provide the players with dice? Spread the cost across the ticket prices, and the players get to take however many customized dice home as mementos.

How prevalent is cheating at these events?

I'd rather just deal with the cheaters and not have to have judges roll for others.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

TheLawinator posted:

Good man for stating his name. TOs need to know about him because in all likelihood it looks like he would do it again. He was clearly sorry that he got caught, but he should be sorry that he'd already ruined games for a few players on the entire first day where he got away with it.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Wow, cheating in a tournament, I hope the guy is shamed into selling all his poo poo.

What gauges would you recommend? I want to try scratchbuilding and whatnot for CSM.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

VendaGoat posted:

I can't imagine loaded dice is very common, honestly. They are seriously obvious if you see them roll because the weight in them will make them change directions while rolling, or roll about 2/3rds of the way to one side, then suddenly pop back to the 6. They'd have to only roll them occasionally, and when the opponent wasn't looking or something. Most people cheat with things like moving models an extra inch here and there, or moving a model from the back of a unit to the front when they move. Or rolling behind a wall, "oh look a six what a surprise!". Or my personal favorite, measuring straight lines through solid walls, or through tanks, etc and just moving over them instead of around them (and then getting pissy when you call them on it).

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

VendaGoat posted:

I'd rather just deal with the cheaters and not have to have judges roll for others.

I think RJS meant providing 'house dice' for players. 400 D6 can run less than $30, after all. It's what we did for our game space and we only have like 5 players total.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Work continues on my Word Bearers Chaos Lord, the Herald of Man. I'm looking for a little symbol (not too complicated) to go on his book, symbolising Chaos or Sorcery or Daemons or something. Any ideas?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Fuegan posted:

An Ork army without a Shokk Attack Gun is an Ork army not worth playing :colbert:
Unless you field lots and lots of other awesome weapons. Speaking of, I remember (back in 2nd ed at least) a cannonball with several rockets strapped to it, making it scatter several times in random directions, doing damage each time it landed. Anyone remember which weapon I'm thinking of?

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

AgentF posted:

Good man for stating his name. TOs need to know about him because in all likelihood it looks like he would do it again. He was clearly sorry that he got caught, but he should be sorry that he'd already ruined games for a few players on the entire first day where he got away with it.

His sig on the 40k Wrecking Crew forums is now "They call me Loaded". He's not apologetic, he just cried to my friend telling him not to tell anyone.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Man, that shithead is like hams Lance Armstrong.

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

When I shit I like to scream "WORSHIP THE GOD EMPEROR ON HIS GOLDEN THRONE." Mom hates it.

Pierzak posted:

Unless you field lots and lots of other awesome weapons. Speaking of, I remember (back in 2nd ed at least) a cannonball with several rockets strapped to it, making it scatter several times in random directions, doing damage each time it landed. Anyone remember which weapon I'm thinking of?

The aptly named hop-splat cannon.

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

I'M NOT ABOUT TO START SPENDING MONEY ON THE FORUMS, THANKS.

Pierzak posted:

Hop Splatt Gun, IIRC.

e: balls

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

krushgroove posted:

What gauges would you recommend? I want to try scratchbuilding and whatnot for CSM.

1mm for pinning. Look at paperclips, around that thickness.

If you are converting I would look at 0.5-0.75mm after you have experimented with the 1mm. It is able to keep its shape and is easily manipulated. It is only really useful for tying bits to your models. Extra CCW, or bolters, skulls etc. I would only go for a small amount. 2M would be plenty. - You can use greenstuff for a similar purpose, but I find it harder to reproduce and use thin gauges in Greenstuff. I am not a good sculptor.

Also, kick cheats out. DQ him from the game, but, before throwing him out of a tournament use the game time to give him a chance to put his side. I have a massive bag of dice that I got from ebay. A real mix there. I play at my local club and there are extra dice in there and I have no idea where they are from.

On balance, they were not too far out of line. He was, in all likely-hood, cheating. But there are two standards of proof. Innocent until proven guilty or balance of probabilities? He meets the latter but probably not the former. If you spend £££ travelling, booking hotels and buying entry, you do not want to be kicked out because your bag had a lovely die.

You should just use the same dice for the comp. Casinos do not let you bring your own cards.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

cat with hands posted:

The aptly named hop-splat cannon.

Loaf32 posted:

Hop Splatt Gun, IIRC.
Yep, that's the one. Is it still around?

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Anyone got any ideas for alternate models for Eldar war walkers? I'm not a fan of their actual models but given the recommendation of the thread it sounds like getting my hands on a couple of them would do me some good.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Thundercracker posted:

I never figured out a good way to do rivets though, and didn't feel like buying a custom rivet puncher since I didn't build too many Orks. Maybe someone here has a tip.

Check this poo poo out, it's loving crazy!

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Luebbi posted:

From a couple of pages back, but I really like the look of the "glowstick", well done! How was that achieved, wet blending? I've got a lava-themed necron force, but never got the rods to look like, want to steal this design for my own benefit.

Cheers necron buddy. Essentially I used Blazing Orange (not sure on the current equivalent) for a couple of coats to get a solid base layer. I then watered down some Fire Dragon Bright and applied it in rough patches around the rod so that it would dry translucent and show the previous layer through, but while it was wet I added smaller amounts of watered down FDB with Golden Yellow then let them dry.

Once they were dry, I marked out the rough area for the lines with watered down yellow, and then gradually built up the lines leaving the last layer behind it showing and increasing the brightness by mixing in some Sunburst Yellow until it got up to purely Sunburst (this was maybe 4 stages but really doesn't take long). Once that was dry, I did a 50/50 mix of Sunburst and Skull White which was applied to the biggest 'patches' of yellow in the highlight to break it up a bit.

A lot of text but I hope it helps! I've since added some bolder lines to make it more of a lightning/energy effect which can be seen here!

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Has anyone used any Wraithguard in 6th at all? I am a huge sucker for space elf zombie robots of all sorts, but never paid for the metal Wraithguard. Now that they are only the price of a single kidney though, I'm tempted to buy some. Would a big Wraithblob of 10 Wraithguard and some Wraithlords be completely terrible? It's a shitload of points and all, and probably not competitive...but it won't be complete poo poo will it? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Wraithguard with a Warlock who has the Conceal power should be fairly good. 3+/5+(cover) with guns of fuckening isn't something to sneeze at. If the Wraithlord's with them then my guess is that it would make a decent fire magnet. At the very least it'll take the focus off the rest of your army.

• Locked thread