Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
idk whos twitter that is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

guy who wrote node.js

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol. no wonder its so bad

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
opinionated, but blunt and honest. I like it.

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

twitter.com/#!

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

0xB16B00B5 posted:

i like Ruby.

:smith:

EDIT: Half the languages he lists are interesting because of poor/confusing design decisions.

FamDav fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Oct 18, 2012

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i couldnt remember what dart was then i found out it compiled to javascript and i had a good laugh.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

FamDav posted:

i like Ruby.

people are allowed to have faults, just dont let them ruin your life.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

0xB16B00B5 posted:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

rotor posted:

compiled to javascript

this induces the same revulsion as those human centipede movies

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Shaggar posted:

people are allowed to have faults, just dont let them ruin your life.

:unsmith:

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

qntm posted:

yeah, join a huge faceless corporation

it's bad in different ways which you aren't tired of yet

this is pretty much looking like the best option

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

tef posted:

this is pretty much looking like the best option

what are your feelings about connecticut and embedded development. a guy just left to shorten his ridiculous commute and we want to hire someone pdq. also we have a couple of british people, a french guy, a couple japanese guys and a ukranian guy so you won't be the only foreigner

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Tiny Bug Child posted:

my pop-up blocker buster

So it was you.

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop
Serious post:

What about working at a startup? I know some friends here in the Bay Area that work for well funded < 25 person startups and they all really seem to enjoy it. New interesting problems, lots of responsibility, not much overhead, everyone is pretty young/laid back.

Meiwaku
Jan 10, 2011

Fun for the whole family!

salted hash browns posted:

Serious post:

What about working at a startup? I know some friends here in the Bay Area that work for well funded < 25 person startups and they all really seem to enjoy it. New interesting problems, lots of responsibility, not much overhead, everyone is pretty young/laid back.

Nothing spells motivation like a huge faceless corp. Try improving your skills and getting into R&D, or try a quality startup. I can't imagine a day where I'm not excited to wake up and code something.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

i've worked everywher from little poo poo dial up ISPs in a metal shack to fortune 50 corps and working at the smaller companies is almost universally better

you get much more recognition for your accomplishments, there's much less bureaucracy and red tape, the people are generally cooler, sometimes you get paid more, i cuold go on but gently caress

i once worked at office max dont do that

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

i'd also like to add if you suck at programming you probably fit in better at a huge corp

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Serious post:

this is nice for the first year or so but normally the investors kick in and then everything goes to poo poo as they rush to return on the investment.

i've only seen it happen three times.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Write a book / design a training course on "the cynical approach to software engineering" for a down-to-earth no bullshit way to get into development. You'd rock at this.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

AWWNAW posted:

i'd also like to add if you suck at programming you probably fit in better at a huge corp

yay :3:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

tef posted:

this is nice for the first year or so but normally the investors kick in and then everything goes to poo poo as they rush to return on the investment.

the other side isn't much better, where its a big success and then everythjng goes to poo poo as they try to scale up to meet demand and people you once knew and respected polymorph overnight into people who wear $600 shoes and talk about implementing best practices.

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop

tef posted:

Are you saying because after so many rounds the founder loses majority share and that's why the investors have the ability to do this?

Meiwaku
Jan 10, 2011

Fun for the whole family!

rotor posted:

the other side isn't much better, where its a big success and then everythjng goes to poo poo as they try to scale up to meet demand and people you once knew and respected polymorph overnight into people who wear $600 shoes and talk about implementing best practices.

Yeah but if that happens you'll hopefully make enough cash not to mind. Rare though...

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Meiwaku posted:

Yeah but if that happens you'll hopefully make enough cash not to mind. Rare though...

as it turns out, once you get past a certain point money really isn't much of a motivator.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
basically finding a company that isn't going through growing pains would be best.

tef's potted employment history

- working in a wee internet cafe (writing code) boss was a sociopath, got signed off.

- working in an nmap to powerpoint factory just before acquisition. got signed off.

- working in a growing startup. managed to fix their poo poo, and got made redundant because my code ran without breaking. had 8 bosses in 11 months and two warnings.

- working in a new startup. the product was bunk, got told 'don't tell the truth to the investors or potential clients'. they still get funding, I went mad and got told by a doctor to leave.

- working in a ~3 yo startup. got brought in to rewrite services. did it to make ops stuff better. unfortunately, the improvements allowed us to have a bigger clusterfuck.

basically, i've managed to fix a whole bunch of poo poo, mostly subversively, and been driven mad by the poor business decisions.

an old boss told me "programmers make the technical decisions, we make the business ones", by that he meant "any important technical decision is a business decision, you chump".

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Are you saying because after so many rounds the founder loses majority share and that's why the investors have the ability to do this?

ha ha no, they never stand up to them and will do anything to pay off the mortgage

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
i'd just like to be in a situation where not only do I have responsibility for things, i actually have the ability to change them.

it would be nice to be treated like an adult rather than a delivery boy for programs.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

tef posted:

an old boss told me "programmers make the technical decisions, we make the business ones", by that he meant "any important technical decision is a business decision, you chump".

scale won't change this

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
in a small company, you get away with it because the owners are too busy panicing.

in a large company, the business has evolved to remove any autonomy for fear of creating irreplacable workers.

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop

tef posted:

i'd just like to be in a situation where not only do I have responsibility for things, i actually have the ability to change them.

it would be nice to be treated like an adult rather than a delivery boy for programs.

So this is a huge problem I have with non technical founders/bosses. They essentially see development as a commodity resource and pull this kind of nonsense, not realizing how important talented execution is to a new company.

I mean I talk to some people about how they are going to outsource their startups new development. You are going to trust your core business to someone else because you don't understand it? Terrible decision.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
it's just that i kinda see management as a central point of failure and route around it

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop
In a big company talented execution isn't really valued because you're an 800lb gorilla. You don't need innovation, just status quo. Supporting all the statements above about how bad developers are good at big companies

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

So this is a huge problem I have with non technical founders/bosses. They essentially see development as a commodity resource and pull this kind of nonsense, not realizing how important talented execution is to a new company.

actually this poo poo comes from technical founders too. they do the chronic underestimation of difficulty, and because they're far from the trenches they don't understand why things might be a little more difficult.

quote:

I mean I talk to some people about how they are going to outsource their startups new development. You are going to trust your core business to someone else because you don't understand it? Terrible decision.

this is just loving hilarious though.

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop

tef posted:

actually this poo poo comes from technical founders too. they do the chronic underestimation of difficulty, and because they're far from the trenches they don't understand why things might be a little more difficult.

I mean it obviously depends on the person but in general I would say technical founders have a much more realistic expectation of scope and are able to guide execution better than some MBA who is all "hurr ~powerpoints~"

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

I mean it obviously depends on the person but in general I would say technical founders have a much more realistic expectation of scope and are able to guide execution better than some MBA who is all "hurr ~powerpoints~"

i wish. they just think their wishful thinking is more reasonable and so won't listen.

'i have a phd, i know best' 'i've been in this company longer'

basically it comes from being in a position of authority without any accountability to the workers, not from being technical/non-technical.

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop
really what I'm trying to say here is non technical founders of tech companies are mostly terrible.

It's like starting a pharmaceutical company with no experience in pharmaceuticals, or any other industry. Just because tech startups are more "sexy" doesn't mean anyone can do it.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
i'm saying that founders are universally terrible.

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop

tef posted:

i wish. they just think their wishful thinking is more reasonable and so won't listen.

'i have a phd, i know best' 'i've been in this company longer'

basically it comes from being in a position of authority without any accountability to the workers, not from being technical/non-technical.

won't listen to developers raise issues about the product? I'm genuinely curious because I work at a big company but have been thinking about moving over to a startup and would like all the help I can in how to spot the good/bad ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

The fun thing in large soulless corporations is that you can usually work super slow and keep a shitload of time for personal stuff during work hours. I worked through a large part of SICP during my work time at my first job in a large place.

The downside is that you'll never see yourself 'bloom' in a place like this and you'll have to do poo poo in your free time to feel good about programming. It does let you see your day job as a day job, and it makes it easier to separate your hobby from your workplace. I ended up leaving because I got bored, though.