Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost

concerned mom posted:

Awesome thanks man. Yeah this is going to be very normal heavy so hopefully a lot of info will be down for that. I was going to use the lightbox tool thingy to paint his face on from photo ref as well. I do however like to hand paint pretty much anything I can so I think this will be an interesting exercise.

I'll spam you guys with some more updates once I've finished unwrapping the low.

You could try giving Mari a go......

http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/products/mari/

Mari is designed for high quality, high resolution texturing painting.

You can either get a 15 day license off the bat or a 40 day license from here...

http://challenge.cgsociety.org/mari/?utm_source=CGSociety&utm_medium=stamp&utm_campaign=MariChallenge

And if you want an overview (rather old, but kinda fun) of what Mari can do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3WskWrQh4E

(Disclaimer : I'm the Mari product manager and naturally think that it is awesome)

forelle fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Oct 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Just watched the vids and wow that looks incredible. You're doing some awesome work. I love how you can move it and blend lots of "little" textures together. In polypaint in Zbrush you'd polypaint the high; in Photoshop/Max (etc) you'd paint the low; in Mari I guess you paint the low?

It's hard to tell as that Vastatosaur was obviously film quality, but for games my game mesh is 15k triangles. I'm guessing this works on pixels, not vertices so that would lead me to think I'd paint the low.

Man there's so many techniques and programs now!

concerned mom fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Oct 17, 2012

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost

concerned mom posted:

Just watched the vids and wow that looks incredible. You're doing some awesome work. I love how you can move it and blend lots of "little" textures together. In polypaint in Zbrush you'd polypaint the high; in Photoshop/Max (etc) you'd paint the low; in Mari I guess you paint the low?

It's hard to tell as that Vastatosaur was obviously film quality, but for games my game mesh is 15k triangles. I'm guessing this works on pixels, not vertices so that would lead me to think I'd paint the low.

Man there's so many techniques and programs now!

Hi,

It depends how high the high is. Mari can handle several million polys on a decent GPU, but certainly not 50M+ from a high res zBrush model.

LucasArts are using Mari to texture StarWars 1313, so it's pretty useful for game assets too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCCsGd7_kZM

All of the assets in this are from Mari.

Yep, Mari paints Pixels. You can paint upto 32k^32k, but that is pretty unusual beyond enourmous ground-planes and matte paintings. Most people stick to multiples of 2k,4k and 8k for film level stuff.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
The trouble with texturing the high for me would be unwrapping it! Does Mari require an unwrapped mesh or does it effectively polypaint then you can bake that down? As it's per pixel I'm guessing it needs a UV map. If that's the case I think I'd definitely texture the low!

It looks really sweet though, I think I'm definitely going to try this out next week.

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost

concerned mom posted:

The trouble with texturing the high for me would be unwrapping it! Does Mari require an unwrapped mesh or does it effectively polypaint then you can bake that down? As it's per pixel I'm guessing it needs a UV map. If that's the case I think I'd definitely texture the low!

It looks really sweet though, I think I'm definitely going to try this out next week.

Ahhh, Gotcha. Mari can paint uv-less using PTex from Disney, but we don't have PTex->Uv Transfer at the moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxNlAlOuQQQ

SVU Fan
Mar 5, 2008

I'm gay for Christopher Meloni
Like Mutata said, it's really gonna depend on what you want to do with it. I'm a Zbrush fanboy and absolutely love polypainting. It's insanely fast and easy to get pretty good results, especially mixing it with a little bit of the wax modifier. For anything that is hard surface and going to require photo use, or spec/bump/whatever maps though, I think Mudbox does a much better job than Zbrush.

My workflow is for hi-poly stills and 3d concept art, though, so it wont be as effect for low poly game mesh stuff.

concerned mom posted:

You're working in Zbrush right? Unwrapping with UV master is really ridiculously quick with pretty good results. Mix that with being able to use different polygroups as seam cuts, it's hard to beat how quick it is.

Check out the workflow in post #12 here:

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?166739-City-State-Entertainment-characters

SVU Fan fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 17, 2012

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

None of these fancy shmancy tools work well with overlapping UVs, though, I bet. :colbert:

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost

mutata posted:

None of these fancy shmancy tools work well with overlapping UVs, though, I bet. :colbert:

http://vimeo.com/47021260 - 0.57s

:)

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
If I wanted to take a crack at high-res sculpting would it be better to try out ZBrush or MudBox? I use 3DS exclusively so that might effect things. Which program has a better community for tutorials and stuff?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Anybody used Element3D by video co-pilot? We're probably getting it at work and super psyched about being able to turn around nice 3D motion graphic stuff a lot faster.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Jumping in to say a few of us are using Mari at work and finding it very powerful, easy to use and just kind of does what you want without a fuss, if that makes any sense.

Moist, I'm more experienced with ZB but my 2c is that ZB is better for pure sculpting and creating 3d from scratch quickly, MB is better at pretty much everythig else.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Moist von Lipwig posted:

If I wanted to take a crack at high-res sculpting would it be better to try out ZBrush or MudBox? I use 3DS exclusively so that might effect things. Which program has a better community for tutorials and stuff?

Zbrush has a much larger folowing. Mudbox follows regular 3d app conventions more closely though.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

For most aspects of modeling, zbrush is much better.

The only thing I can say mudbox does better is texturing. The texturing is not dependent on the model resolution. Zbrush polypainting is dependent on poly density.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

sigma 6 posted:

For most aspects of modeling, zbrush is much better.

The only thing I can say mudbox does better is texturing. The texturing is not dependent on the model resolution. Zbrush polypainting is dependent on poly density.

I still don't really get this. Why don't they just give the texture map a slider for extra subdivision, but a non-smoothed subdivision, so it just cuts the original faces into four, then those into four at level 2, and etc. That would solve pretty much all the problems ZBrush has with texture painting. Why would I want to split my model up AGAIN just to paint on it, increasing the paint array AND the model array.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Zbrush's polypainting is based on vertex coloring. Each vertice is given a RGBA value. That means the higher your subdivision, the better you texture quality.

Mudbox's texture projection has nothing to do with polygon density and so it doesn't matter what subdivision density you choose, when you project your photos.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Zbrush does have HD geometry, so you can subdivide further. It still seems kind of clunky to me though when you're going that far.

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost

EoinCannon posted:

Jumping in to say a few of us are using Mari at work and finding it very powerful, easy to use and just kind of does what you want without a fuss, if that makes any sense.

Glad you like it. :) Are you in VFX or games?

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

forelle posted:

Glad you like it. :) Are you in VFX or games?

Film VFX at Iloura in Melbourne

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Stupid question, how do I blow out the bottom of this shape so it hits the template I've laid out on the plane?

I forgot in the past few weeks...

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Is it a complete shape as in back-faced as in it has a back as in looks like a mentos? Or is it like a Frisbee?

Edit: 'cause the lighting is all weird it looked like it was at a strange angle.

You need to go in to vertex mode and move the verts in to place. You can also delete one half and apply a symmetry modifier to make it much easier.

If it's high poly already then tick soft selection.

concerned mom fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 18, 2012

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Yeah it's like a Mentos.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

z

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jan 16, 2017

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SynthOrange posted:

Oh hey, I forgot you were here in Melbourne. Hows the vfx business these days? Last i knew, anything 3dfx was utterly dire here. I was going to attend this weekends Melbourne goonmeet but appendicitis and emergency surgery put paid to that.

I wouldn't say dire, as far as film goes Iloura has grown really fast lately after Ghost Rider 2 and Ted. There's more work coming in than the studio can handle. Also Luma Pictures is opening an office here, they're looking for staff at the moment actually. Melbourne could (but probably won't) become the new Sydney to some degree.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

EoinCannon posted:

I wouldn't say dire, as far as film goes Iloura has grown really fast lately after Ghost Rider 2 and Ted. There's more work coming in than the studio can handle. Also Luma Pictures is opening an office here, they're looking for staff at the moment actually. Melbourne could (but probably won't) become the new Sydney to some degree.

To be honest, I don't think Sydney's not as big as you think, at least not any more, it's really let itself just.. stagnate, I guess. I don't know too much about big companies there but the city itself has always just felt like a smaller, greyer version of Melbourne recently. It seems more.. run down, I guess.

rayk
May 19, 2009

pirate cat │・ □ ・│ノ

EoinCannon posted:

Also Luma Pictures is opening an office here, they're looking for staff at the moment actually.

Has that been confirmed? I was under the impression that those position were more in terms to gauge the interest of a potential office in Melb.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

paberu posted:

Has that been confirmed? I was under the impression that those position were more in terms to gauge the interest of a potential office in Melb.

You might be right, but I heard some gossip that they were interviewing people, may have just been gossip. They did do a big load of job postings on DLF though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Is DLF any good again? I unsubscribed awhile back because it turned into one horrible guy posting a billion questions a day and everyone yelling at him.

So Eoin, did Vfx pretty much come through the horrible animation collapse and subsequent animator glut fairly unscathed? Animation was basically a dead zone for ages.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SynthOrange posted:

Is DLF any good again? I unsubscribed awhile back because it turned into one horrible guy posting a billion questions a day and everyone yelling at him.

So Eoin, did Vfx pretty much come through the horrible animation collapse and subsequent animator glut fairly unscathed? Animation was basically a dead zone for ages.

I think there's 2 DLFs. One for job postings/events/education and one for questions and chat. I've only ever been subscribed to the job one though.

As far as an animation collpase that may have been before my time or I wasn't aware of it as I've never really worked as an animator. I've been in the biz for 5 years, 2 years doing TVCs, 3 years doing film VFX.

Yasha From Russia
Apr 6, 2006
with a thousand words say but one

paberu posted:

Yeah they are starting to set up interviews. One of my friends has been emailing back and forth with them.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Shameless plug for a movie about bedbugs I worked on.

http://www.indiegogo.com/bedbugsthemovie

Here is a quick prototype I made from the director's puppet.

Support Bedbugs! . . . OK that sounds kind of funny, but you know, 'tis the season.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
What would the lighting/rendering setup be for something like this:

Is it all just global illumination?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Moist von Lipwig posted:

mostly global illumination and radiosity (notice the pink color bleeding) and probably some shadowless lights to pop things as needed.

chimheil
Jun 22, 2005

Moist von Lipwig posted:

[timg][/timg]

From a modeling standpoint, how would you get that "spaghetti" hair?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Options: Tons of path extrusions, sculpting, box modelling, in order of insanity.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

chimheil posted:

From a modeling standpoint, how would you get that "spaghetti" hair?

I thought splines would work pretty well but be kind of labour intensive.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I'd make a straight mass of all of them as one object, bend & shift it into place with sweep on and then go back in the stack & modify the splines from that. You could add some generic ones and arrange them around to quickly make it busier/more active too.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
There's also scripts like wirebundler that could get you 80% of the way and then do the rest by hand

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Fluent in five foreign tongues!
Grimey Drawer

Doing a visualisation for my bro's new interior, but they haven't picked a rug yet. It's a shame really, because it would really tie the room together. :v:

And their couch (OCD material tweaking bonanza):

First is with post photoshop DOF, using a lensblur. Second is vray DOF, and it took 5 millenia to render.

Jewel: Oh indeed, I'd say one half is texturing, a quarter is rendering and another half is post work. Yes that doesn't add up, but thats just the way it is. :colbert:

International Log fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Oct 24, 2012

Jewel
May 2, 2009

International Log posted:

Doing a visualisation for my bro's new interior, but they haven't picked a rug yet. It's a shame really, because it would really tie the room together. :v:

Man, I really need to get a good texture and model library some time, visualizing a new room before I set stuff up could be really useful, but at the same time I don't want to have to model every couch, desk, etc that I want to have, or currently have, bluh. Rendering's the easy part!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Those are lovely.

International Log posted:

Jewel: Oh indeed, I'd say one half is texturing, a quarter is rendering and another half is post work. Yes that doesn't add up, but thats just the way it is. :colbert:

I'd say ours is 1/4 modeling a rough version, 1/4 lighting, 1/4 photoshop, 1/4 meetings, 1/4 re-modeling, 1/4 photoshop, 1/4 meetings, 1/4 re-writing a contract to include another 12 shots that have slipped in along the way...