Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Two things:

1. Guy must have gone crazy on americanmuscle.com, he's got like every cosmetic option they have. Wouldn't surprise me if he had those halogen "halo" lights.

2. God that back louver looks absolutely atrocious. Not only does it look stupid but it's a misshapen mess.

Out of all the things you could buy to make your car better, cosmetic tape on pieces aren't even on the list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Rabble posted:

2. God that back louver looks absolutely atrocious. Not only does it look stupid but it's a misshapen mess.

And I bet from the inside mirror it looks like a closed set of blinds. Pony cars have enough visibility issues stock, taping plastic poo poo all over the back window doesn't help.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

BGCHEEZ indeed; it must be short for big cheesenuts.

I agree on having his car towed.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

oRenj9 posted:

I agree on having his car towed off a cliff.

Got that for ya.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Anything specific that I should check for if I'm looking at a 2012 GT Premium being sold private party? I'm trying to figure out why some guy is willing to take a huge depreciation hit on a car with only 7000 miles on it.

The big things I'm aware of is that Bama tunes were popping some engines, and some diffs are going bad. Any way to test if something is amiss?

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Weinertron posted:

Anything specific that I should check for if I'm looking at a 2012 GT Premium being sold private party? I'm trying to figure out why some guy is willing to take a huge depreciation hit on a car with only 7000 miles on it.

The big things I'm aware of is that Bama tunes were popping some engines, and some diffs are going bad. Any way to test if something is amiss?

Get a mechanic you trust to inspect the car?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Ive got an 02 mustang gt convertible in the shop, the battery keeps dying. At rest theres a 180mA draw. Tracked it to fuse 39, 5A, generic electronic module. If I pull this fuse the draw drops to 5mA. The gently caress is a generic electronic module and is this a normal draw for it?

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Weinertron posted:

Uhh if the warrantys not void what is there to worry about?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

coolskillrex remix posted:

Uhh if the warrantys not void what is there to worry about?

From what I can tell, Ford went ahead and said that Bama tunes were invalidating engine warranty because they were leaning it out a ton.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
It wasn't just that they were leaning it out, they also disabled the knock sensors and people started popping #8 on their Coyotes. It was actually a big deal for a while because people were afraid it was an issue with the engine until it got traced back to Bama's lovely tune.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Dr 14 INCH DICK Md posted:

Ive got an 02 mustang gt convertible in the shop, the battery keeps dying. At rest theres a 180mA draw. Tracked it to fuse 39, 5A, generic electronic module. If I pull this fuse the draw drops to 5mA. The gently caress is a generic electronic module and is this a normal draw for it?

The GEM controls multiple functions: wipers, window switches, convertible top, airbag power, datalink, etc.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Weinertron posted:

From what I can tell, Ford went ahead and said that Bama tunes were invalidating engine warranty because they were leaning it out a ton.

Well can ford see the flash? if not then how would they invalidate warranty unless #8 cyl is already gone

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Well can ford see the flash? if not then how would they invalidate warranty unless #8 cyl is already gone
They can see that it has been flashed and will use that to invalidate your warranty. Modifying your car has always had adverse consequences for your warranty which is why common advice is to wait until after your warranty expires to modify your car in a way that could cause problems (a cat-back is safe, an ECU tune is not).

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
Ive entertained the idea of buying a 2011 and i guess if i was buying a used one i would ask to have it taken to the ford dealer and see if they can check if its been flashed or not.

edit: also gently caress kenne bell, their dipstick is a loving 1/8" diameter metal rod, which means a bunch of oil adheres to it and even though its special kenne bell blend of lucas oil tinted blue so you can "see" it (me nor my friend can see the stupid level though, so its obviously NOT blue enough)

I just replaced the supercharger oil and i have no idea if i have the right amount in because its so impossible to see. The lines are a quarter of an inch apart and the margin of where the oil rests on the dipstick is seriously a half an inch, its so ambiguous its astonishing. We have tried to read, and adjust, the level about 20 times now. I think its fine but thats just from me turning the dipstick horizontal and laying it on a napkin, which is not super accurate.

Meanwhile eaton engineers recommend oil changing like every 100,000 miles, so those people dont have to deal with any of this in the first place. :suicide:

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 22, 2012

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

frozenphil posted:

They can see that it has been flashed and will use that to invalidate your warranty. Modifying your car has always had adverse consequences for your warranty which is why common advice is to wait until after your warranty expires to modify your car in a way that could cause problems (a cat-back is safe, an ECU tune is not).

I thought there's laws that say you can't invalidate a warranty unless whatever a person modified on the car directly caused whatever problem there is.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Bumming Your Scene posted:

I thought there's laws that say you can't invalidate a warranty unless whatever a person modified on the car directly caused whatever problem there is.

Magnusson moss warranty act says that for things like exhaust, intakes, etc so dealers cant deny warranty coverage on things entirely unrelated to the problem. If you flashed the car they dont know if your flash detonated the engine, so it would be pretty easy for them to deny coverage.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Bumming Your Scene posted:

I'm pretty sure disabling knock sensors and leaning the poo poo out of your A/F ratio will probably be pretty easy to link to blowing an engine.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

frozenphil posted:

The GEM controls multiple functions: wipers, window switches, convertible top, airbag power, datalink, etc.
If it's like other manufacturers' body control computers it will take awhile after shutting the car off to drop the load. Perhaps wait a few minutes and check again? 180mA does seem high though.

Locobono
Nov 6, 2003

Pump Action
Could I use bits from a '13 GT to get rid of the black plastic side skirts and bumpers on my '11?

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Ford unveiled the new motor they're considering optioning in the upcoming Cobra Jets:

A twin turbo 5.0 Coyote that gets the car in the 11's on half-throttle. On full throttle it hits mid 8's @ 155.

Devyl fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 31, 2012

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Devyl posted:

Ford unveiled the new motor they're considering optioning in the upcoming Cobra Jets:

A twin turbo 5.0 Coyote that gets the car in the 11's on half-throttle. On full throttle it hits mid 8's @ 155.

Mother of God...

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

To think, those are some tiny turbos too...

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
The reason behind them being so small is two-fold: One being that Ford wanted something smaller to eliminate lag. Those are actually Borg-Warners based on the Focus ST. The second reason? So they would conveniently fit in the fog lamp area.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Devyl posted:

The reason behind them being so small is two-fold: One being that Ford wanted something smaller to eliminate lag. Those are actually Borg-Warners based on the Focus ST. The second reason? So they would conveniently fit in the fog lamp area.

Of, for sure. Just saying that there is still a ton of potential left on the table there.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

frozenphil posted:

Of, for sure. Just saying that there is still a ton of potential left on the table there.

Oh yeah, without a doubt! Honestly, it looks like the best setup for this would be a nice sequential. Throw a healthy-sized Garrett or Turbonetics turbo on one side and you'll have massive 4 digit power at the wheels. Ford is still being really tight-lipped about actual numbers this is putting down and I don't blame them with the COPO Camaro nipping on their heels.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Devyl posted:

Is there an article on this somewhere?

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Sure. Have one from where I work: Twin Turbo Cobra Jet at SEMA.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Devyl posted:

Sure. Have one from where I work: Twin Turbo Cobra Jet at SEMA.

Is Steve still running things over there? If so, tell him to cut that drat hippie hair.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Devyl posted:

Oh yeah, without a doubt! Honestly, it looks like the best setup for this would be a nice sequential. Throw a healthy-sized Garrett or Turbonetics turbo on one side and you'll have massive 4 digit power at the wheels. Ford is still being really tight-lipped about actual numbers this is putting down and I don't blame them with the COPO Camaro nipping on their heels.

I bet that thing is putting down four digits right now with the two tiny turbos.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Those are small framed Borg-Warner EFRs. There are three options and the smallest would be good for about 750hp and the largest 1000.

http://www.full-race.com/articles/borgwarner-efr-turbos.html

Cool turbos because the boost control solenoid, BPV, and wastegate are all integrated into it. Plus they use a billet compressor wheel and titanium turbine.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
So I decided that after 7 years of it I am sick of commuting in my fleet model 4cyl Ranger, and bought a Mustang. It's pretty cool. "Sunburst gold metallic" is the color. I call it "can't-sell-it gold". It has the 4.6, 5sp, and the mach 460 audio system.

I really like it so far. I figure the geriatric paint job will give me +2 stealth vs. LEOs.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
Wow I didnt even know mustangs came in that color.. looks like the camry "champagne" color. gently caress. Its so bad its good? maybe?

Also 2014 mustangs wont have boss 302 as an option (stopped when ford said it would, no surprise really)

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/11/07/2014-ford-mustang-details-leaked-bye-bye-boss-302/

I cant really afford a boss 302 at all but i cant imagine losing money on these cars considering how people will clamor after them in the coming years.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
If Ford doesn't decide to bring it back in '15, then yes; it'll be worth big bucks eventually in the future. But my folks are hearing rumors of another 302 or Boss variant for the 2015 total refresh of the Mustang. Otherwise, you get Boss Mustangs like the Shinoda Boss on the SN95 chassis. Despite being a factory "Boss" option, today they can be picked up for a cheap price.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Boss 351 with a naturally aspirated version of the GT500 engine. :cool:

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Devyl posted:

If Ford doesn't decide to bring it back in '15, then yes; it'll be worth big bucks eventually in the future. But my folks are hearing rumors of another 302 or Boss variant for the 2015 total refresh of the Mustang. Otherwise, you get Boss Mustangs like the Shinoda Boss on the SN95 chassis. Despite being a factory "Boss" option, today they can be picked up for a cheap price.

Special edition Mustangs are cash machines for Ford and the dealerships. Regardless of what it's called, there will be numerous special edition Mustangs on the 2015 platform and beyond.

I'd like to see a Mach1 myself

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Wow I didnt even know mustangs came in that color.. looks like the camry "champagne" color. gently caress. Its so bad its good? maybe?

It's grown on me since I first saw the ad, and it looks great in real life. The photo is blown out so it looks more champagne. I like unique stuff - it's why I painted my Buell green - so I think it suits me well enough.

Learning to drive it has been fun. I've had fun owning a couple RX-7s and a Mk1 MR2, so it really amuses me with how slow I can turn this 4.6.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Dad is looking to put a rollbar of some sort into his new mustang shell.

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=121_126_273

I know bolt in roll bars are hilariously lovely. Are any of those worth two shits?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Slow is Fast posted:

Dad is looking to put a rollbar of some sort into his new mustang shell.

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=121_126_273

I know bolt in roll bars are hilariously lovely. Are any of those worth two shits?

Maximum makes quality stuff.

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004
I've got a 2010 V6 automatic, and it started making a howling noise from the rear end. It's still under warranty so I took it in for an inspection and they said the rear end is shot and have to rebuild the entire rear end. I couldn't get any more details out of them than that. The parts won't be in until like January (WTF?) but the warranty's covering it and he said it's still completely safe to drive on.

So, any ideas what the gently caress happened to my rear end and what I could've done to cause it (if anything)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

Ugg boots posted:

I've got a 2010 V6 automatic, and it started making a howling noise from the rear end. It's still under warranty so I took it in for an inspection and they said the rear end is shot and have to rebuild the entire rear end. I couldn't get any more details out of them than that. The parts won't be in until like January (WTF?) but the warranty's covering it and he said it's still completely safe to drive on.

So, any ideas what the gently caress happened to my rear end and what I could've done to cause it (if anything)?

I think it's more likely that the howling was caused by wind rushing over your huge vagina, and he just didn't want to offend you.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)