Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

I'm guessing on Wings of Madoola that the phone calls didn't make it to air and only appear on the DVD cut? Because if that's true, it's a drat shame because that's the funniest moment in the episode by far.

Yeah, the Kibe segments and comments are not in the broadcast version at all. There's also a bit more game play footage in the DVD version but that's the biggest change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MUTEkI
Oct 12, 2012

joek0 posted:

New Episode:
#148 Pulseman
10/25/2012

A Mega Drive game by Game Freak. Looks like a fun platformer.

Oh man, this game. Its closest relative is probably Rocket Knight Adventures in its playstyle, but it does a lot of weird visually-intense effects on top of that. Definitely one of my more favorite Genny games.

Come to think of it, did they ever do Rocket Knight Adventures? (EDIT: Yeah first page would suggest not!) I'm surprised they didn't go with that one first.

FireCar
Sep 20, 2002

What's this?!

MUTEkI posted:

Oh man, this game. Its closest relative is probably Rocket Knight Adventures in its playstyle, but it does a lot of weird visually-intense effects on top of that. Definitely one of my more favorite Genny games.

Come to think of it, did they ever do Rocket Knight Adventures? (EDIT: Yeah first page would suggest not!) I'm surprised they didn't go with that one first.

I hate to say this, but Japan is secretly racist (speciest?) against armadillos. It's been something they have hated for years, ever since Russia sent over their armadillo boats (the Russi-Japanese War for you history types out there) to destroy Japan. It took Teddy Roosevelt, the naturalist president who incidentally speaks armadillo, brokering a peace between the two. Ever since, Japan has felt like they got the wrong end of the deal when Russia loaded up Sakhalin Is. with armadillos before they ceded it to Japan as a final insult.

Trust me an all this, I am a history teacher and 100% sure this is all correct.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

FireCar posted:

I hate to say this, but Japan is secretly racist (speciest?) against armadillos. It's been something they have hated for years, ever since Russia sent over their armadillo boats (the Russi-Japanese War for you history types out there) to destroy Japan. It took Teddy Roosevelt, the naturalist president who incidentally speaks armadillo, brokering a peace between the two. Ever since, Japan has felt like they got the wrong end of the deal when Russia loaded up Sakhalin Is. with armadillos before they ceded it to Japan as a final insult.

Trust me an all this, I am a history teacher and 100% sure this is all correct.

but sparkster is an opossum

FireCar
Sep 20, 2002

What's this?!

absolutely anything posted:

but sparkster is an opossum

Sir, we don't need you using racist terms here, hasn't he suffered enough without your bigotry? You should feel ashamed.

man, I can't believe I messed that up, oh well, oops

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Watching some of the older episodes again and I totally forgot how socially inept guys like Inoko MAX and Nakayama were on their first appearance. Although in my mind one of the greatest moments of the show is when Inoue manages to clear the super hard seahorse level in Umihara Kawase (#31) and his reaction that follows.

Andronian
Feb 17, 2012

pigdog posted:

I was totally preparing to make fun of everyone in the thread for comparing a show about lame old Nintendo games to Top Gear.

It's really not fair to Top Gear to get compared to a show so awesome. :colbert:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Fans of watching Arino play the absolute worst things that gaming has produced are going to be in for a treat tomorrow. There are five challenges with completely god awful games left and I think that this one is the worst of them; not quite Super Monkey Adventures or Paris-Dakar Rally level but extremely close. I've got a copy myself and I found the game to be an unplayable mess...

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Been wondering when we'd see another episode. I know zari said she's busy for awhile but I figured you guys had something on the burner.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I'm guessing Dragon Power. That games pretty bad right?

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

Fans of watching Arino play the absolute worst things that gaming has produced are going to be in for a treat tomorrow. There are five challenges with completely god awful games left and I think that this one is the worst of them; not quite Super Monkey Adventures or Paris-Dakar Rally level but extremely close. I've got a copy myself and I found the game to be an unplayable mess...

Paris-Dakar Rally was the greatest game I've ever seen on this show. :mad:

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Bocc Kob posted:

Paris-Dakar Rally was the greatest game I've ever seen on this show. :mad:

Yup. Paris-Dakar Rally Special is a work of art, I will not stand for any badmouthing of it!

Going to second the Dragon Power guess, I remember renting it when I was a kid and being frustrated to hell.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Mister Chief posted:

I'm guessing Dragon Power. That games pretty bad right?

I haven't played it since whenever the cross section of dragon ball being popular and emulation started. 98 or 99 I guess. Anyway, I don't remember much aside from it being awful.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
After playing it the last couple of days for the Retro Game Masters thread, so I'm really curious how well Arino does on Gimmick. At first I thought it was ridiculously slippery with the movement but I find each time I come back to it I just steamroll through previously tough stages.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

cronox2 posted:

After playing it the last couple of days for the Retro Game Masters thread, so I'm really curious how well Arino does on Gimmick.

Thinking of that made me realize that season 15 was the year of the absurdly expensive games. Between Gimmick, Super Spy Hunter, Metal Storm, Battletoads, and Comix Zone they could have purchased every single game challenged between all the previous seasons combined. :eek: (Maybe excluding Steel Battalion. Maybe.)

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

Cemetry Gator posted:

I'm guessing on Wings of Madoola that the phone calls didn't make it to air and only appear on the DVD cut? Because if that's true, it's a drat shame because that's the funniest moment in the episode by far.

I'm watching it right now and as far as I can tell all of the phone calls you're talking about are in. The whole thing is about 50min long, so I'd be surprised if it was cut down in any way.

bhlaab fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Oct 21, 2012

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

We're back and it's time for the first episode of season ten. Can Arino collect all seven dragon balls and have his wish to finish the game granted? Or will VE Suda interrupt with a wish to get home on time?

Bringing this episode to you is the woman whose power level breaks your scouters; it's Super Translator Level 3 zari-gani!

Download torrent81 (1 files; 826.18 MB)
View torrent stats

Direct Download

(And to head off the comments; yes, we know what it's called in the comic and show. That's actually an error in the original game.)

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Oct 21, 2012

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Called it. :smug:

I've been looking forward to this episode and from what I remember from watching the raw it's loving brutal.

Who is that picture supposed to be and what is he saying?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mister Chief posted:

Called it. :smug:

I've been looking forward to this episode and from what I remember from watching the raw it's loving brutal.

Who is that picture supposed to be and what is he saying?

It's Nakayama. The handwriting is bad and I'm 99% certain that the spelling is wrong too (they either misspelled Donkey Kong or there's something called Doniki Konigu out there) which makes it extra hard for a complete amateur like me to be sure of what they're trying to say. So even though I can pick out some words (Donkey Kong, barrel) I'll leave explaining what he's trying to say to someone better than me.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Random Stranger posted:

The handwriting is bad and I'm 99% certain that the spelling is wrong too (they either misspelled Donkey Kong or there's something called Doniki Konigu out there)

Well my knowledge of kanji is almost nonexistant but I can tell you that while the handwriting is very hard to read, that's definitely a katakana N. I can understand how you might be able to see the first one as a Ni but the second one really doesn't resemble it at all.

Brinty
Aug 4, 2012
The second N looks more like a Ni to me since it's so flat but yeah, it's just bad handwriting, Makes me wonder what it says even more though, I might have to get my dictionary out and see if I can figure it out haha.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

It's Nakayama.

Looks like Sasano with a Toujima beard.

The handwriting looks like it was done with a mouse, which is weird because the drawing clearly wasn't.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Came home from film festival minutes ago, now torrenting this so I can stay awake even longer and watch this new episode! :toot:

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I've been kinda pissed off the past few days trying to fix a family friend's computer, so this new episode will definitely make me feel better even though I just started the download and I'm about to go to bed. Thank you guys (especially zari after watching the DVDs) for what I hope will be another great episode of GCCX. :)

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Warning: I am poo poo at Japanese. "How can I win Donkey Kong if Taru [unintelligible]. That is some atrocious handwriting, I can't make out the first kanji at all. Chances are the whole sentence means something different since I had to guess on the other two as well (they seem to be 方 and 制). Or just because I am very far from understanding it fluently.

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Oct 21, 2012

Click To LOSE
Sep 18, 2004

FFFABULOS PRIZESSS
Actually, everything's fine but the fourth written character. With a "first pass", it looks like it says, "If I ___ the barrel, I can beat Donkey Kong!" but as for that character, it looks like a single hiragana or even two smashed together rather than a kanji like it may be supposed to be, and it taxes me to make out just what it is due to the messiness. Remember kids, either hand-write nice, or type it if you just can't!

Then again, how many things can you do with a barrel in the game that could fill in the blank and solve the situation?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

"Dominate the barrels and you dominate Donkey Kong!" (The verb in question is 制す.)

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
The only things you can do with barrels in Donkey Kong are smash them or jump over them so it's probably one of those two. Then again, it's fan art so I guess he could be having sex with the barrel too.

Hirayuki posted:

"Dominate the barrels and you dominate Donkey Kong!" (The verb in question is 制す.)
I guess it's all three then.

Click To LOSE
Sep 18, 2004

FFFABULOS PRIZESSS
If those two letters are supposed to be the same...

...wow. That's just something, right there. *tries to look again*

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I'm not sure if it's just me or MPC being stupid, but it seems like the top and bottom half of the screen and the subs are cut off in this. I took a snapshot and it looks fine there but for some reason in MPC it's cut off top and bottom by default.

E: Never mind, I used Pan & Scan to decrease the size.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Oct 21, 2012

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games
Is the nasal voiced announcer in this episode supposed to be mimicking something from the dragon ball anime?

Also I'm sure you had your reasons but the lack of actual episodes was starting to get to me so thanks a ton for a new one.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Heti posted:

Is the nasal voiced announcer in this episode supposed to be mimicking something from the dragon ball anime?

Also I'm sure you had your reasons but the lack of actual episodes was starting to get to me so thanks a ton for a new one.

Yeah, it's been pretty dry recently for people who can't afford the DVDs.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

All the GCCX2 talk in this episode makes me more depressed about how it never came out here :smith:

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
I've only watched a couple dozen episodes so far, but my favorite has to be the USA special. When Arino played Street Fighter against Joshua, I lost my poo poo. The "yogaaaaa" yell and the look he gives Joshua immediately afterwards are priceless. Wish I had a gif.

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games

Bloodplay it again posted:

I've only watched a couple dozen episodes so far, but my favorite has to be the USA special. When Arino played Street Fighter against Joshua, I lost my poo poo. The "yogaaaaa" yell and the look he gives Joshua immediately afterwards are priceless. Wish I had a gif.

It's my favourite episode too and I've seen every translated episode. I'll get right on that gif.

edit: here is you are gif m'lord

Heti fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 21, 2012

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
Well now I don't feel so bad about giving up on Dragon Power early when I was a kid (health automatically going down over time is something I've never liked in games). What a bullshit game.

Also, here's a fun fact someone mentioned a while back - that scene early on where Master Roshi (the Turtle Hermit) wants to see Bulma's panties? In the US version that obviously wouldn't fly so instead they changed it to Roshi wanting a... sandwich. Complete with sandwiches circling his head. Don't know what they did about the whole puff-puff thing though, and I'm sure not going to play it to find out...

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Thanks for the new episode SAGCCX :) Arino didn't seem to enjoy playing the game so much, but the in-between segments were among the all-time greats, imo.

Jest3
Apr 27, 2010
Love this episode, and all the segments.
The teacup bit at the TGS was great Arino humor.
Thanks for bringing GCX to more fans.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Dear god, I used to own a cart of this. I remember my mind being blown when I finally made its connection to Dragon Ball years later. :aaa:

Looking forward to this and to whatever wonderful memories resurface. Such wonderful, painful memories...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Shock Trooper posted:

Well now I don't feel so bad about giving up on Dragon Power early when I was a kid (health automatically going down over time is something I've never liked in games). What a bullshit game.

Also, here's a fun fact someone mentioned a while back - that scene early on where Master Roshi (the Turtle Hermit) wants to see Bulma's panties? In the US version that obviously wouldn't fly so instead they changed it to Roshi wanting a... sandwich. Complete with sandwiches circling his head. Don't know what they did about the whole puff-puff thing though, and I'm sure not going to play it to find out...

Yeah, and the sandwich sprite was the panties sprite turned upside down!

loving awful game, and it's bizarre that they saved all their effort for the section of the game no one would ever play, the stuff not based on the manga. Suddenly the graphics stop being drab brown, and the bosses get changed up. Also, nice racist depiction of black men for one screen, and this time it isn't ants!