Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

My school Sprint store finally has the iphone 5, going in for an upgrade tomorrow! How's the battery life compared to the evo 3d?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

allcowseatgrass
Sep 30, 2007
Howdy goons. I am in a bit of a bind. I dropped my original EVO and shattered the screen. Asurion thinks I am going to pay 100$ for a phone I can pick up for 75$ or so. That being the case, I decided its time for a modest upgrade. Ive got it narrowed down to the three following phones: a Nexus S, a Galaxy S 2, or an Evo 3D. The things that are important to me are the possibility of running JellyBean, preferrably CM10, ease of rooting, and lastly, Wimax Reception. I cant do an LTE phone because I live on the west side of the country and apparently we dont exist and 3G is abysmal here. So what say you goons, are any of those standouts in terms of Wimax?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

allcowseatgrass posted:

Howdy goons. I am in a bit of a bind. I dropped my original EVO and shattered the screen. Asurion thinks I am going to pay 100$ for a phone I can pick up for 75$ or so. That being the case, I decided its time for a modest upgrade. Ive got it narrowed down to the three following phones: a Nexus S, a Galaxy S 2, or an Evo 3D. The things that are important to me are the possibility of running JellyBean, preferrably CM10, ease of rooting, and lastly, Wimax Reception. I cant do an LTE phone because I live on the west side of the country and apparently we dont exist and 3G is abysmal here. So what say you goons, are any of those standouts in terms of Wimax?

Yes, the Nexus S. It has official JB support. It's a little slower, spec wise than the other two you listed, but the software more than makes up for it.

allcowseatgrass
Sep 30, 2007

Grumpwagon posted:

Yes, the Nexus S. It has official JB support. It's a little slower, spec wise than the other two you listed, but the software more than makes up for it.

Hows the 4G reception on it? I guess thats more important since 3G is laughable where I am.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

allcowseatgrass posted:

Hows the 4G reception on it? I guess thats more important since 3G is laughable where I am.

No idea, I'm not in a WiMAX area, but I'm sure someone will come in and say.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

bobula posted:

My sister was having intermittent data issues, but it was still working, so I told her to do that restore and leave off for thirty minutes thing. Big mistake, cause now it's actually having that problem with "cannot activate on cellular data network" thing and has zero data. I've gone through three people at Sprint and they couldn't figure it out, having me reset network settings and try (it won't) to update the prl/profile over and over again. One of them finally set up an appointment at the apple store for her to go take it in to get checked out, but due to the fact that resetting completely hosed it I can only conclude that it's completely an authentication issue and there's nothing wrong hardware-wise. Now she's screwed as far as work goes since she's a PA and uses her phone all the time for directions and looking poo poo up. I wish someone could figure out a sure fix!

Don't leave the Apple store until it is fixed. Talk to a manager if necessary.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES

change my name posted:

My school Sprint store finally has the iphone 5, going in for an upgrade tomorrow! How's the battery life compared to the evo 3d?

You'll forget your Evo 3d existed in a day.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

bobula posted:

My sister was having intermittent data issues, but it was still working, so I told her to do that restore and leave off for thirty minutes thing. Big mistake, cause now it's actually having that problem with "cannot activate on cellular data network" thing and has zero data. I've gone through three people at Sprint and they couldn't figure it out, having me reset network settings and try (it won't) to update the prl/profile over and over again. One of them finally set up an appointment at the apple store for her to go take it in to get checked out, but due to the fact that resetting completely hosed it I can only conclude that it's completely an authentication issue and there's nothing wrong hardware-wise. Now she's screwed as far as work goes since she's a PA and uses her phone all the time for directions and looking poo poo up. I wish someone could figure out a sure fix!

I've had something similar, and a battery pull was about the only thing that fixed it. Since it sounds like an iPhone, I don't think that's possible though.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by
Does anyone know how to set up Google Voice voicemail on a Galaxy S3? When I open up the Voicemail Settings menu, there's no option to change the service provider.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

allcowseatgrass posted:

Just to make sure, you are buying this phone outright? None of those phones are smart contract upgrades now a days.

And yes, nexus S is the best buy.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

allcowseatgrass posted:

I have the Nexus S 4G and I agree with the others, go with that. You'll at LEAST get official Jelly Bean support and pretty easy rooting and ROMing. I don't know about WiMAX as I don't have that in Omaha, but the 5 seconds I had it on in Denver, it was blazing fast and never seemed to drop connection so I'm assuming it's fine.

I wouldn't buy it on-contract, though. Get another phone for that. I wouldn't buy any of those phones on contract, actually.

BigShroom
May 30, 2002
So I went into a sprint store today and they told me I have to wait 90 days after a major release(iphone 5) to upgrade because I'm on SERO. Can any sprint goons confirm this or advise a way around it? If not no big deal I can wait some more, I've had my touch pro 2 for almost a decade it feels like now. Such a tank of a phone.

fagalicious
Jan 15, 2004

WHAT FAG

BigShroom posted:

So I went into a sprint store today and they told me I have to wait 90 days after a major release(iphone 5) to upgrade because I'm on SERO. Can any sprint goons confirm this or advise a way around it? If not no big deal I can wait some more, I've had my touch pro 2 for almost a decade it feels like now. Such a tank of a phone.

They're incorrect, my sister got an iphone 5 on preorder. I would just order one online from sprint.com

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

As a SERO person, you should avoid Sprint stores whenever possible. Order online or over the phone.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

Does anyone know how to set up Google Voice voicemail on a Galaxy S3? When I open up the Voicemail Settings menu, there's no option to change the service provider.

Install the Google Voice app, open it, accept the Google Voice / Sprint integration. Your voicemails now go through Google Voice and will be transcribed and forwarded to your email or viewable/listenable in the app. You'll probably want to go to Google Voice settings on the web and turn off call screening.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BigShroom posted:

Yeah, the 5 still is not allowed on employee lines, but SERO should be fine. Order online.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

I just replaced my cracked-screen 2 year old EVO Shift with an iPhone 5 (32 gig shipped same day off Sprint website if anyone is still trying to get one).

What is the easiest way to import my contacts from my Gmail account? I was disappointed when setting up my email I found no option to load my contacts and I'll be damned if I'm going to enter them manually.

decoy octopus
Oct 26, 2005

You fat Loco, you fat

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

I just replaced my cracked-screen 2 year old EVO Shift with an iPhone 5 (32 gig shipped same day off Sprint website if anyone is still trying to get one).

What is the easiest way to import my contacts from my Gmail account? I was disappointed when setting up my email I found no option to load my contacts and I'll be damned if I'm going to enter them manually.

http://www.maciverse.com/add-gmail-contacts-to-ios-5.html

manderson
Aug 12, 2005

Human Extraordinaire

Duckman2008 posted:

Just to make sure, you are buying this phone outright? None of those phones are smart contract upgrades now a days.

ThermoPhysical posted:

I have the Nexus S 4G and I agree with the others, go with that. You'll at LEAST get official Jelly Bean support and pretty easy rooting and ROMing. I don't know about WiMAX as I don't have that in Omaha, but the 5 seconds I had it on in Denver, it was blazing fast and never seemed to drop connection so I'm assuming it's fine.

I wouldn't buy it on-contract, though. Get another phone for that. I wouldn't buy any of those phones on contract, actually.

Just curious, if you had to stay on contract what would you guys choose?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

OptimusMatrix posted:

You'll forget your Evo 3d existed in a day.

I don't even have it yet and I've already forgotten about my 3d. Seriously, 4.0 has completely broken this phone, I hate it.

BigShroom
May 30, 2002
Thanks for the advice people! You guys are awesome.

I just tried to upgrade on the web site and it said, "If you want this device, you'll need to change your plan." So I guess I better just call SERO/EPRP: 866-264-1282.

EDIT: actually telesales 888-882-4030, they are settings me up right now. Woop, new hotness. This will be funny going from a 5 year old winmo phone to iphone 5.

BigShroom fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Oct 19, 2012

Hooray Dialysis
May 20, 2007

everything is cool
Just a heads up for the OP and anyone that's trying to set up a new EPRP line. Chappy's info doesn't work on the EPRP site anymore. Does anyone have a valid email and CID that I could use? Or will we just have to use that McGuire guy's email for now?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

change my name posted:

I don't even have it yet and I've already forgotten about my 3d. Seriously, 4.0 has completely broken this phone, I hate it.

It's probably too late but root that poo poo and put cm10 on it.

Also, what's wrong with ICS? It was rock solid when I ran it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

manderson posted:

I'll most likely have to stay on contract in March 2013 so I've been keeping an eye on the new Nexus. If Sprint doesn't get it, I'll fall back on the SGS III most likely.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

manderson posted:

You never have to stay on contract, when your contract ends you can go month to month as long as you want.

The main reason to sign a contract is to get a subsidized phone, since you pay the same monthly bill either way. If you want to get a subsidized phone the only real two options i would recommend are the iPhone 5 or Galaxy S3. because the iphone 5 is an iphone and also has removable SIM card, it is the more valuable of the two market wise. But either is a pretty good option.

Off contract the Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus are probably the best buys, you could find them pretty cheap on ebay or craigslist.

manderson
Aug 12, 2005

Human Extraordinaire

Awesome, thanks for the advice.

So if my contract is expiring soon and I do choose to go month to month, will the bill stay the same or will things change? I've been with Sprint for years and haven't dealt with the contract side of things in a long rear end time, so apologies for sounding clueless.

Hooray Dialysis
May 20, 2007

everything is cool

manderson posted:

Awesome, thanks for the advice.

So if my contract is expiring soon and I do choose to go month to month, will the bill stay the same or will things change? I've been with Sprint for years and haven't dealt with the contract side of things in a long rear end time, so apologies for sounding clueless.

It stays the same, I've been going month to month since August.

allcowseatgrass
Sep 30, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

ThermoPhysical posted:

I have the Nexus S 4G and I agree with the others, go with that. ...

Grumpwagon posted:

Yes, the Nexus S. ...

Ok thanks guys. I snatched a like-new one from ebay for 85$.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Label Facing Right posted:

It stays the same, I've been going month to month since August.

I'm month-to-month until I can find a new Android phone that is a 4-inch screen and not a piece of crap. :(

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FlyingCheese posted:

For me it was less ICS and more "holy poo poo how loving awful is Sense these days". My E3D shouldn't have taken this much work to get to being a not-poo poo phone.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

FlyingCheese posted:

It now crashes very frequently, misreads the amount the battery has left (ie says it's at 2%, then when I pull the battery and reboot it shows like 40%, which is right), internet typing is screwed up and I can't make forum posts without a ton of typos, the way the internet app is laid out now is terrible, etc. Plus sometimes my alarm volume gets set to 0 and I've woken up late because of it, which never happened before I updated.

fagalicious
Jan 15, 2004

WHAT FAG

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

In addition to the way mentioned above using exchange to keep your contacts on gmail, if you just want to import them then login to gmail on your computer, go to contacts, click the more button and click export. Select vcard format then hit the export button.

Next, go to icloud.com and login. Click contacts. Click the little cog on the botton left of the page, click import vcard, select the file. All of your contacts will be in icloud and show on your phone.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

change my name posted:

It now crashes very frequently, misreads the amount the battery has left (ie says it's at 2%, then when I pull the battery and reboot it shows like 40%, which is right), internet typing is screwed up and I can't make forum posts without a ton of typos, the way the internet app is laid out now is terrible, etc. Plus sometimes my alarm volume gets set to 0 and I've woken up late because of it, which never happened before I updated.

I'm curious, was your phone rooted/flashed before you upgraded? Have you considered doing a wipe/factory reset? Because my 3D has never rooted or flashed, ever, and I haven't had a single one of those issues. It actually crashes less for me now than it did before the ICS update arrived.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Q_res posted:

I'm curious, was your phone rooted/flashed before you upgraded? Have you considered doing a wipe/factory reset? Because my 3D has never rooted or flashed, ever, and I haven't had a single one of those issues. It actually crashes less for me now than it did before the ICS update arrived.

Nope, it was completely stock.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

change my name posted:

I've run into the alarm problem, and it loving sucks. Seems that when I put my phone in silent mode it sets alarm volume to 0, and leaves it there even when I turn the ringer back on. That was a fun surprise.

I'm ready to ditch my Evo 3D as well... I'm kind of eying the S3, but I can't really afford it. I may give CM10 a try, but that's more work than I feel like putting into this thing right now.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

You're awesome, thanks.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Just a heads up for the OP and anyone that's trying to set up a new EPRP line. Chappy's info doesn't work on the EPRP site anymore. Does anyone have a valid email and CID that I could use? Or will we just have to use that McGuire guy's email for now?
Are you sure? My coworker just signed up last week with his info.

Hooray Dialysis
May 20, 2007

everything is cool

ZeroAX posted:

Are you sure? My coworker just signed up last week with his info.

Pretty sure. I tried putting it in this morning a couple different times and it kept saying it was invalid. Googled that guy that has his own website with his info posted and used info a goon PM'd me and that let me get in the site. If someone else can try it to be sure that'd be cool so I can be reassured that its not just me.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Pretty sure. I tried putting it in this morning a couple different times and it kept saying it was invalid. Googled that guy that has his own website with his info posted and used info a goon PM'd me and that let me get in the site. If someone else can try it to be sure that'd be cool so I can be reassured that its not just me.

I'm on EPRP already but I just tried just to test. It's giving me the same invalid information error.

Sprint EPRP site posted:

Oops.

We were unable to recognize the email address, employee ID (CID) or a combination of the two provided. Please check the spelling of the information you entered and try again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm at least waiting for the next wave of Nexus announcements before deciding how to move on from my Evo3d. If the LG one is the only one, I'll just stick with this freaking thing for a long while :I.