Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.
So I think I figured out why I was throwing the CEL for my O2 sensor. When I put on my downpipe, I didn't have a way to secure the O2 wire away from the pipe (since the factory has the little holder.) Turns out the heat had melted (using that loosely) some of the sheathing on the wire so it was getting extra heat on it after the sensor. I re-tightened the zip tie I had and adjusted it - no CEL since.

In other news, I got new tires in - the RE970s off TireRack. Haven't had time to put 'em on yet though :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Sublime Process posted:

In other news, I got new tires in - the RE970s off TireRack. Haven't had time to put 'em on yet though :negative:

I've got those, like em a lot so far.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/07/24/2014-mazda6-teased-in-high-resolution/

Looks awesome, so far. Can't wait to see the 3 version of it.

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.
Got my 970 Potenza's put on on Friday. So far I like them a ton over the Hankook V12s I had on prior. The grip is worlds beyond the Hankooks and cornering is considerably stronger/more firm. I've got about ~200 miles on 'em so far and have no complaints yet. No rain driving yet however.

In other news, I'm nearing 56k. I'm running Stage 2+ with Cobb's SRI, TIP, DP and CP-E HPFP. Should I go ahead and upgrade to a step colder plug, the ITV22? Also, I noticed cp-e's tmic was on sale for $400 (down from $600) - can I run the same map or does the Stage 2 + IC map include upgraded tmic? If I got the tmic, which map would be best suited for it? Or would a custom tune (not feasible at this time) be better?

Black Is Black
Jan 6, 2007

Sublime Process posted:

Got my 970 Potenza's put on on Friday. So far I like them a ton over the Hankook V12s I had on prior. The grip is worlds beyond the Hankooks and cornering is considerably stronger/more firm. I've got about ~200 miles on 'em so far and have no complaints yet. No rain driving yet however.

In other news, I'm nearing 56k. I'm running Stage 2+ with Cobb's SRI, TIP, DP and CP-E HPFP. Should I go ahead and upgrade to a step colder plug, the ITV22? Also, I noticed cp-e's tmic was on sale for $400 (down from $600) - can I run the same map or does the Stage 2 + IC map include upgraded tmic? If I got the tmic, which map would be best suited for it? Or would a custom tune (not feasible at this time) be better?

Certainly get the TMIC and put in the colder plugs. Before tuning I would get some injector seals put in also. After that, you are pretty much maxed out as a stage 2 car short of an exhaust. You can get a custom tune at that point and you should expect wheel horse power to be near 300.

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006

Black Is Black posted:

Certainly get the TMIC and put in the colder plugs. Before tuning I would get some injector seals put in also. After that, you are pretty much maxed out as a stage 2 car short of an exhaust. You can get a custom tune at that point and you should expect wheel horse power to be near 300.

Given my mods, and if I get the tmic, would the "Stage 2 COBB SF Intake + TIH + IC" be suitable to run or is that map geared more towards FMICs? Yes.

Does anyone have any input on the best bov/bpv? I'm looking at Cobb's just because I trust them, but it's $300. According to the AP notes, I have to upgrade it since I'm over stock boost levels, but I'm bov ignorant. Any input?

Sublime Process fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Aug 10, 2012

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I went to a local meet this morning. I didn't take the MS6 and I'm glad I didn't what with my dinged bumper and paint chipped hood. Seeing so many gorgeous cars in one place really got me ramped up so I've decided that rather buying yet another car I'm going to bite the bullet and have the car either touched up or resprayed. It's such a nice car that it deserves to look nice again.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

This is what happens when a Mitsubishi Outlander isn't paying attention making a right turn onto a busy main road and I don't have enough time to react :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Ouch, sorry dude :(

How long did everyone's battery last? Mine's about to go, just past 4 year mark for me. I'm just gonna go pick one up from Costco unless there's any you guys can recommend?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

air- posted:

How long did everyone's battery last? Mine's about to go, just past 4 year mark for me. I'm just gonna go pick one up from Costco unless there's any you guys can recommend?

My OEM made it three years+ (edit: possibly closer to 4, don't recall when my '07 was built), and the Duralast Gold I put in it went 25 months.

I had no idea how much cheaper Costco batteries are than Autozone/etc; if the AZ one wasn't free this time, I'd have gone there instead.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Aug 27, 2012

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

air- posted:

I just replaced my OEM battery a couple of months ago. Pretty amazing since I drive a 2006MY MS6. I replaced it with a 'nice' one from checker/O'Reilly. In salt lake we'll have air temps from single digits all the way to 100+. How the stocked survived that long I will never know.
Also, whatever O'Reilly had in their system as the 'correct' sized battery was in fact wrong. They wanted me to buy a shorter/longer one according to their computer.

In other news, my quest for better shifting feel will be closer, I got my SURE anchors for the shifter carriage I'll throw in one night this week and have a friend installing my rear diff mount some time in the next week or two. I also picked up an EGR block plate and one step colder denso iridium plugs.

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
Since this thread went stagnant, figured I'll share my joy with you guys. I upgraded to Stage 2 SRI+TIP+DP+IC +93 - holy crap is this car a beast now. :devil:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sublime Process posted:

Since this thread went stagnant, figured I'll share my joy with you guys. I upgraded to Stage 2 SRI+TIP+DP+IC +93 - holy crap is this car a beast now. :devil:

Jealousy over here man. But as soon as the Lightning sells...

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Sublime Process posted:

Awesome!
I just paid off my car this week, so now I'm saving to the little things I've wanted to forever (painless dent repair, paint rock chips etc). My next plan is SRI, and TIP. I installed the denso ITV22 plugs (one step colder) on labor day. It looks like the stock plugs were still in the car -69k miles. For what it's worth it seems to boost so much more consistently with the colder plugs. I'm at about 5000 feet elevation so I don't know if that makes any difference. The butt dyno tells me it's running better. I'd suggest them to anyone, and know they're recommended for people once they do performance mods.
Edit: saw in an earlier post you have a HPFP. Which one are you using?

Battle Cattle
Aug 13, 2003

MOO.
My first gen MS3 had battery troubles, went through 3 or 4 in 3.5 years. Extreme south Florida heat probably contributed to that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
One of the insulators on my exhaust broke today as we were running a bunch of errands. Absolutely terrifying sound. Ran to Autozone to get a new one and the clerk thought the MS6 was cool and ended up swapping the part out for me so I wouldn't get all dirty.

Edit: I also found out where the other black one lives in town and was passed by a red one today. That made me smile.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Sep 17, 2012

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Edit: saw in an earlier post you have a HPFP. Which one are you using?

I just bit the bullet and bought CP-E's HPFP. Messing with the internals and cleanliness made me a little nervous, so I shelled out a bit more to not have to do it. The install was relatively easy though.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Crosspostin' from the Post Your Own Ride thread because this thread is getting quiet:

I washed and waxed my MS3 for the first time in months. I could've done a better job, but I still want to eventually clay bar it and use some sort of hydrophobic paint sealant. I'll do that when I will feel less bad about dropping $60 on cleaning supplies.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Crossposting from the Post your Ride Thread.

I finally figured out what this thread was, and decided to post here.

I did a thing:

That thing was parking poorly on top of one of work's parking garages.

Oh also I bought that Mazda. 2008 with 40k and it cost me 14 big boy dollars. I love my dad car. Also love the 6 speed. And the turdbo.

So um, I'm going to buy some snow tires. What else should I buy? Also it seems like Mazda Forums are about as bad as Hondatech.

Edit: Anything I need to do or worry about it either?

TheFonz fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Oct 8, 2012

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Put an intake on it and replace the RMM.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Don't just get snow tires for the 18 inchers, get a set of cheap 16 or 17 inch wheels with snow tires so you can switch them out yourself, the wheels and tires will cost what 18 inch snow tires cost alone.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Yea, I already order a set of 16" with some stealies. What is RMM?

Edit: Rear motor Mount. Super useful to change?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

TheFonz posted:

Yea, I already order a set of 16" with some stealies. What is RMM?

Edit: Rear motor Mount. Super useful to change?
It makes it not feel crappy when shifting. It takes a jack, and about 30 minutes and 2 bolts off/on to install it. Best $130 I've spent. I got the SURE mount. I got it from the guys at street unit in Florida. Great selection/price/shipping times.
If you're in colder weather like me in salt lake, I'd suggest swapping the trans fluid to the MT90 redline synthetic. Made cold starts in the morning much easier on shifting.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The RMM and intake are the two best bang for you bucks mods on the car. I had the TRZ dogbone RMM but it does have some vibes.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Somewhat Heroic posted:

If you're in colder weather like me in salt lake, I'd suggest swapping the trans fluid to the MT90 redline synthetic. Made cold starts in the morning much easier on shifting.

Eh our winters can stay below freezing, and I've never had any issues with my stock fluid. I have also heard other fluids can make the LSD really noisy.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

opengl128 posted:

Eh our winters can stay below freezing, and I've never had any issues with my stock fluid. I have also heard other fluids can make the LSD really noisy.
Fair enough. I have a MS6, so the rear LSD is a bit different from the MS3. It helped out my car with the cold weather though.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Just keeping this thread alive. Heading down to the blue ridge parkway and the dragon for 5 days, from PA, in my MS3. Can't wait!

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Sublime Process posted:

I've been thinking about some of those, namely an SRI, TIP and DP, but does it make sense to put any of them in without also getting an AP/tune and an HPFP?

cmdrpinky
Oct 1, 2003

Hey, a few months ago, I curbed my passenger front wheel on my '11 MS3 trying to avoid an accident, afterwards I noticed that aside from the obvious curb rash, the wheel would slowly lose air over the course of like 2 weeks. I took it in and got the wheel re balanced and got my alignment checked, but the mechanic suggested I just get a new wheel.

Given that a new OEM wheel is around $600, is it actually possible to repair this, or do I need to break out my wallet?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

edit/quote confusion - disregard this post.

air- fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Oct 17, 2012

Buckeye
Oct 22, 2003
I don't want the world...I just want your half.
You should be able to find an entire set of the 18" OEM wheels for $500ish if you watch Craigslist and the forums. Do not buy new.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Was posting on phone and they got eaten as it froze up :downs:

Got some things going on with my car:
I just picked up the CS rear camber arms since my camber on the rear driver's side is -2.7. I guess this had to be an inevitable purchase though.

Also having bumper fitment issues. Again, this seems like something everyone's gone through. Basically it's not flush along the very edge where it meets the driver's side headlight/wheel well. Took a closer look and the tab on the bumper's broken off :mad:

Folderol posted:

I've been thinking about some of those, namely an SRI, TIP and DP, but does it make sense to put any of them in without also getting an AP/tune and an HPFP?

You're ok having nothing to support an intake/TIP, but I suggest having internals installed before you even think about a downpipe or a tune.

cmdrpinky posted:

Given that a new OEM wheel is around $600, is it actually possible to repair this, or do I need to break out my wallet?

Look around the forums, you should be able to find a full set of OEM wheels for less than the cost of a single new one. People sell them all the time.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

air- posted:

Was posting on phone and they got eaten as it froze up :downs:

Got some things going on with my car:
I just picked up the CS rear camber arms since my camber on the rear driver's side is -2.7. I guess this had to be an inevitable purchase though.

Also having bumper fitment issues. Again, this seems like something everyone's gone through. Basically it's not flush along the very edge where it meets the driver's side headlight/wheel well. Took a closer look and the tab on the bumper's broken off :mad:

I'm pretty sure that demon camber or whatever the kids are calling it these days is stock and intentional on the MS3. All I know is I have to make sure I start parking mine with the wheel cranked soon, since it slaughters the inside edge and it's been near the end of the year for the last three years...but maybe the Hankook V12s will last a bit longer?

And I have that exact same problem with my MS3, I thought it was because of a poo poo job removing the bumper by the PO. My passenger side barely wants to grab anything anymore so it looks like poo poo, but I don't want to replace the whole goddamn bumper skin because of it. If you know / find in the cesspool of Mazda forums of a good way to fix it, please post it up.

cmdrpinky
Oct 1, 2003

Would the lower front fascia from a 2012+ vanilla mazda 3 be a painless swap onto an '11 MS3? I think it looks a lot cleaner and less 'smiley' than the lower fascia that the MS3 came with.

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006

Folderol posted:

You can easily do SRI and TIP without the AP. However, for the DP I would really recommend getting the HPFP - if you do a DP with AP, you must have it.

Can you do them all without a HPFP? Yea, I think so (someone correct me if I'm wrong!) but the AP just adds that extra kick in the rear end that gets it going.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
Thought this is the best place to ask.

I am in Canada and am ordering winter wheels and tires for the '12 Mazda 3 sport (hatch) GS Skyactive (wife's car).

What I'd like to confirm is whether a 15" wheel will work. Tire rack says it will fit on a '12 Mazda 3, but does anyone know if the brakes would be different on the Skyactive models?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

2014 Mazda 3?

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/mazda/3/60760/new-mazda-3-leaked-pictures

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Let's hope not. That thing is too drat swoopy.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Tacier posted:

Anything is an improvement from :haw:. Anything. Every time I see one, I just can't help but think "You.. paid for that."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmdrpinky
Oct 1, 2003

Tacier posted:

Looks almost crossoverish ala the subaru outback.