Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Zero VGS posted:

http://news.yahoo.com/google-99-nexus-tablet-reportedly-launch-ahead-holidays-131545094.html

The guys with the the $99 Nexus rumor are still insisting it's happening, hitting before the holidays, and they're getting specific with the part vendors.
Their source is BGR, and really that's all anyone needs to know about this rumor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp
So with my tf300 I've been using a cheap ebay case, but it's a little loose and badly made and I hate it. Does anyone have experience with a different better case? I was looking at something that could also cover the dock and separate when I want it to but they all have that strip of leather than runs along the bottom front and I'm a little reluctant to close it and put extra pressure on the glass.

Thanks!

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Is there an Android gaming thread? If so I cant find it so I hope you guys can help here. Im just getting started using my PS3 controller with games on my Nexus 7 and so far its great. My question is, for the games that don't natively support it, what is the best way to line up the buttons on the touch screen? I have tried taking screenshots of the in game controls in NBA Jam, using that as the background when I set up the sixaxis app and lining the buttons up that way, but I can never get them to work correctly. Anyone have any tips?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

loudog999 posted:

Is there an Android gaming thread?
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3483273

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

ThermoPhysical posted:

Android Police claims to have gotten a tip from someone who works at Staples.

Apparently, the 32GB Nexus 7 will drop on October 18th and be $248.37 for their business customers.
So it's the 18th, any news on this?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bawfuls posted:

No, but there's this:

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/10/1...ontent=FaceBook

If you want a 32GB Nexus 7, try preordering from Staples right now. Some are saying they can grab it.

Droid Life posted:

If you listened to the first episode of The Droid Life Show, then you probably heard us first report that some shipments were already arriving at distribution centers on 10/17, with mass shipments hitting locations on 11/7. What I’m saying, is that it is possible to order a new Nexus 7 today, because some locations do indeed have a few in stock.

Edit: More information on the 32GB: http://androidcommunity.com/nexus-7-32gb-appears-at-staples-for-249-20121019/

Apparently, the box specifically states it's 32GB. If you want to check for the item at Stapes, call them up (or go to the store) and ask for Product Number: 100604.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 19, 2012

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
On the subject of Staples US leaks:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/10/19/internal-staples-document-suggests-8gb-nexus-7-is-being-discontinued-16gb-price-drop-imminent/

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

bawfuls posted:

Seems inevitable that it'll get announced at the Google event on October 29th.

Peep Jerky
Apr 11, 2005
So I just got a Transformer TF300 used from Amazon Warehouse Deals and the backlight in the lower left corner seems to have a loose connector or something. If you press in the right spot it will work and stay on, until you set it down or bump it just right and the corner will go dark again. Otherwise, the tablet seems in perfect condition. It even came with the warranty card.

So my question is, do you think I would have better luck having Asus fix it under warranty, or returning it to Amazon and waiting for another used one to pop up in my price range? Any advice?

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Peep Jerky posted:

So I just got a Transformer TF300 used from Amazon Warehouse Deals and the backlight in the lower left corner seems to have a loose connector or something. If you press in the right spot it will work and stay on, until you set it down or bump it just right and the corner will go dark again. Otherwise, the tablet seems in perfect condition. It even came with the warranty card.

So my question is, do you think I would have better luck having Asus fix it under warranty, or returning it to Amazon and waiting for another used one to pop up in my price range? Any advice?

I'd definitely try Amazon. They were going to exchange my TF201 about 7 months after I bought it; ended up with a full refund since it was out of stock instead.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I just returned my Nexus 7 8gb to Staples today. I really wanted it at the time but I realize now that I can't fit it in with all my gadgets, at least not without sim card data capability. That's good because if I saw it go on clearance in a week like Staples was planning, I would have been pissed.

Got to keep the $25 Play credit so it wasn't a total waste of time buying and returning it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

I just returned my Nexus 7 8gb to Staples today. I really wanted it at the time but I realize now that I can't fit it in with all my gadgets, at least not without sim card data capability. That's good because if I saw it go on clearance in a week like Staples was planning, I would have been pissed.

Got to keep the $25 Play credit so it wasn't a total waste of time buying and returning it.

There's a rumor floating around that Google will have a 32GB 3G version of the Nexus 7.

I'd say it's only a rumor now, but it's coming from the same sites that first mentioned the 32GB Wifi version so who knows.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

ThermoPhysical posted:

There's a rumor floating around that Google will have a 32GB 3G version of the Nexus 7.

I'd say it's only a rumor now, but it's coming from the same sites that first mentioned the 32GB Wifi version so who knows.
How long should I wait for that one to go on clearance do you think? I want to grab one for emulators and such but I don't want to get screwed of course.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

randyest posted:

How long should I wait for that one to go on clearance do you think? I want to grab one for emulators and such but I don't want to get screwed of course.

For the 32GB 3G? Well, if it even exists, it'd be a while before it hit clearance.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Oct 20, 2012

Cragz
Jun 16, 2005
Too orangey for crows!

randyest posted:

The 8GB will be going on clearance as soon as the 32GB hits, at least in Staples (US). There have been numerous leaks of their staff instructions and display cases.

If you're asking about the 32GB though, 3G or not, you're in for a fair wait.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
But the 8G and 16G models are hitting clearance in less than 6 months so wouldn't it make sense that we can expect discounted 32G models by next spring, if not sooner, brought on by the next gen models and or iPad mini pressure etc?

Cragz
Jun 16, 2005
Too orangey for crows!
Yeah I'd probably class 6 months as a fair wait if it's something you want right now. Perhaps I'm just impatient.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

randyest posted:

But the 8G and 16G models are hitting clearance in less than 6 months so wouldn't it make sense that we can expect discounted 32G models by next spring, if not sooner, brought on by the next gen models and or iPad mini pressure etc?

But by then you could hypothetically be waiting on 64gb to go on clearance, or a second gen Nexus 7 to go on clearance, etc

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

I've been having issues with my asus transformer lately, issues regarding false touches being registered. At least that's what I think it is. When I orient the tablet width wise with the asus logo in the top left, there are touch issues regarding the bottom right, as though I am touching there (it pulls up the status bar there, or will select and hold apps I have there) I tried a multitouch sensing app and its registering touches in that area. It sucks because it will zoom web pages, it will make it hard to use my tablet, etc. Whats up with this and how can I fix this?

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls
I wasn't originally bothered so much by the screen lift issues on my Nexus 7 but it's gotten worse to the point where if I push down on the left side of the screen it's registering touches on the right side.

I think it needs replacing. However, I've unlocked the bootloader and am using CM nightlies :ohdear: if I do somehow get it replaced, is it possible for me to flash back to stock so they can't tell?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

tomm posted:

am using CM nightlies :ohdear:
I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm curious: when people say "CM nightlies" do they mean they're putting on a new version of the OS every day (or night, I guess)?

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls

randyest posted:

I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm curious: when people say "CM nightlies" do they mean they're putting on a new version of the OS every day (or night, I guess)?

There's a new version every night but I don't necessarily update it every day. You can do it automatically I believe, but I generally do it every few days. They're really stable, or they have been thus far for me (a few months). It doesn't wipe any data, it just updates.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

tomm posted:

I wasn't originally bothered so much by the screen lift issues on my Nexus 7 but it's gotten worse to the point where if I push down on the left side of the screen it's registering touches on the right side.

I think it needs replacing. However, I've unlocked the bootloader and am using CM nightlies :ohdear: if I do somehow get it replaced, is it possible for me to flash back to stock so they can't tell?

You could just reinstall the stock image from here:
https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

And then relock the bootloader the same way you unlocked it except with the lock command. (fastboot oem lock) It sounds like your tablet is still working for the most part so you shouldn't have any trouble with those steps.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

tomm posted:

You should have gotten it replaced when it first appeared instead of using random "fixes" you find on XDA.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

randyest posted:

Slightly beaten, but here's some more info on the subject of nightlies.

Nightlies are just a term for an automated build (and available download) of a piece of software that happens every night. Most open source projects do nightly builds, mostly to make it easy to test changes from the previous day. Because of that, nightlies also tend to be unstable and things may be working or stop working every time a new build comes out.

As far as CM goes, currently the only way to get CM10 is through nightly builds. The CM team is really careful about what gets checked into the main source code, and by extension what shows up in a nightly build. Most changes are tested by individual developers and reviewed heavily before making it into nightlies. Plus, CM is built on top of an already stable release of Android's source code from Google. The only really "unstable" things are what CM changes, such as new settings and features that aren't in stock. This makes CM10 nightlies more or less stable, and allows people to use CM10 nightlies as their main OS. Just recently CM started doing "M" builds, that happen once a month and are meant to be more stable than a nightly, but allow people to use more cutting edge builds rather than waiting months for a release candidate/stable build.

While there's nothing that stops you from installing an update every single night a new build is uploaded, most people only flash once every few weeks, as there are usually only a few changes that happen every day. I tend to watch the change logs and flash whenever a new feature or a bug fix I've been watching gets committed. Just recently I updated in order to get the "circle battery" feature that was just added (a new battery icon that is a circle that slowly depletes, with the actual % in the center).

Updating to the latest nightly is basically just means downloading a 200 MB file and installing it over the top of your last nightly. Just like installing an update from an OEM. It's painless and takes ~10 minutes.

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls

Endless Mike posted:

You should have gotten it replaced when it first appeared instead of using random "fixes" you find on XDA.

Tell me about it. I'm just lazy. A lazy idiot.

pairofdimes posted:

You could just reinstall the stock image from here:
https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

And then relock the bootloader the same way you unlocked it except with the lock command. (fastboot oem lock) It sounds like your tablet is still working for the most part so you shouldn't have any trouble with those steps.

I'll try that. Thanks!

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
There's a google entry for a 32GB nexus at bestbuy.ca but it's a page not found error when you click it.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

To elaborate on my earlier problem: I took a screenshot of the ghost touches with the developer mode on. Any idea what's up with it or how to fix it?

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

Quantumfate posted:

To elaborate on my earlier problem: I took a screenshot of the ghost touches with the developer mode on. Any idea what's up with it or how to fix it?

Busted digitizer. RMA/Exchange it.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
The Verge is reporting the Nexus 10 is going to be announced on the 29th

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/21/3533548/google-samsung-nexus-10-android-4-2-rumor

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

drat, I couldn't justify paying $50 for 8 GB more in my N7, but I would easily pay $50 more for the 32 GB version. Unfortunately, the chances of getting rid of my 8GB N7 for $200 are basically zero. Even $150 is unlikely, and $100 for the upgrade is questionable... guess I'm sticking with USB OTG cable for a while.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

SurgicalOntologist posted:

drat, I couldn't justify paying $50 for 8 GB more in my N7, but I would easily pay $50 more for the 32 GB version. Unfortunately, the chances of getting rid of my 8GB N7 for $200 are basically zero. Even $150 is unlikely, and $100 for the upgrade is questionable... guess I'm sticking with USB OTG cable for a while.

If you bought your 8GB from Staples, there have been some people who have been able to return their 8GB in + $50 to get a 32GB early.

Also, some who have the 16GB from Staples have been told they can simply return their 16GB on the 29th for a 32GB.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Whoa, really? I did get it at Staples, but this seems too good to be true. I've had mine for 2.5 months and I didn't get whatever extended warranty they tried to push on me.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
My friend's Transformer Prime is acting weird. When plugging in headphones, only the left channel works. You can actually make it work in stereo but only if you get the jack in the "perfect" position. I use quotes because in that position it's almost completely loose.

Here's how it looks fully inserted (i.e. working in mono) :

Because of the tablet's curved design there's no way to plug the jack all the way in so it actually never feels truly secure. Now, to me this can only mean two things: 1) that's the (lovely) way it's supposed to be and my buddy's tablet just needs to be fixed or 2) everyone who uses headphones with a Prime is listening to mono and doesn't notice.

The tablet's still well within warranty so that's not an issue, but I figured I'd ask for opinions here first.

seravid fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 21, 2012

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Whoa, really? I did get it at Staples, but this seems too good to be true. I've had mine for 2.5 months and I didn't get whatever extended warranty they tried to push on me.

All they can do is tell you yes or no. You can call and ask or go down and ask. That's how the guy from The Verge and some other guy from Engadget got theirs. They traded their 8GBs in for a 32GB.

Granted, if they DO tell you yes, you'll probably have to wait. You'll also most likely need your receipt.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

seravid posted:

My friend's Transformer Prime is acting weird. When plugging in headphones, only the left channel works. You can actually make it work in stereo but only if you get the jack in the "perfect" position. I use quotes because in that position it's almost completely loose.

Here's how it looks fully inserted (i.e. working in mono) :

Because of the tablet's curved design there's no way to plug the jack all the way in so it actually never feels truly secure. Now, to me this can only mean two things: 1) that's the (lovely) way it's supposed to be and my buddy's tablet just needs to be fixed or 2) everyone who uses headphones with a Prime is listening to mono and doesn't notice.

The tablet's still well within warranty so that's not an issue, but I figured I'd ask for opinions here first.

That's how it works, curved. If you take the head phones out, you'll actually see a bump on the inside near the edge, that's to make contact so they all work correctly. Sounds like it's either the headphones, or the tablet itself if other pairs do the same thing.

Edit: Mixed up and just read Prime instead of 700T, but I'm pretty sure it was the same way.

uapyro fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 21, 2012

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

uapyro posted:

That's how it works, curved. If you take the head phones out, you'll actually see a bump on the inside near the edge, that's to make contact so they all work correctly. Sounds like it's either the headphones, or the tablet itself if other pairs do the same thing.

Edit: Mixed up and just read Prime instead of 700T, but I'm pretty sure it was the same way.

I'm talking about a Prime :confused:

Can't be the headphones, I tried three pairs that I'm sure are working. Guess my friend will have to sent it for repair.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

seravid posted:

Can't be the headphones, I tried three pairs that I'm sure are working. Guess my friend will have to sent it for repair.

Did you try cleaning out the headphone port?

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

seravid posted:

I looked at a picture of a TF201, and that part seems identical so my last one seems valid.

Do you have another TF201/700/300 that you can compare that little notch side by side to see if the one having issues seems depressed or something?

uapyro fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Oct 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Dealing with custom roms is annoying, but anyone with an unlocked tf700 should try out CleanRom on xda or here. It makes a pretty significant speed difference compared to stock especially if you are doing heavy duty multi tasking or browsing.