Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Why the gently caress would anyone run a torrent on their phone?

A lot of the SA music competitions and goon-artist albums are released as torrents. If you just want the music on your phone then why bother having a laptop as an intermediary? There are probably fewer uses than on a PC, but that doesn't mean there are no uses.

edit:
Crap, new page - added quote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Honestly the only thing I can think of are CM updates. The direct download links are insanely slow and (for me) the torrents are the only way to download them.

Still probably a bad idea.

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

Does anyone know if there's a way to make Google Now ignore certain calendars? I really like the "Time to leave" notification, but Google Now has decided that the room numbers on my work meeting appointments are actually addresses at various spots around town, meaning I get a "Time to leave" notification for meetings, often almost an hour ahead of time.

I'd like to have it either ignore my work calendar or learn that those room numbers are not on the other side of town but actually in the same building.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Can anyone recommend a good recording app? Basically I just want something to, say, record meetings and archive them for later without actually caring enough to get a dedicated mp3 recording device.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

GrandpaPants posted:

Can anyone recommend a good recording app? Basically I just want something to, say, record meetings and archive them for later without actually caring enough to get a dedicated mp3 recording device.

The SoundCloud app is great for that. I use it for humming or whistling song ideas so I don't forget them. You just hit record, hit stop, hit publish, and voila your sound is archived at soundcloud.com.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

I've had all the CM mirrors just completely go down which is why I installed it in the first place, but my internet sucks at home so it's come in handy for nerd poo poo like downloading the new Backtrack live cd at a friend's house without having to shamefully to use their computer / usb cable.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

To download something.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
:golfclap:

Made my day, thank you.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Linux ISOs.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Is there anything like AppSales but for Google Music?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I recently got my microUSB to USB cable and had some fun playing with a keyboard and a mouse. Does anyone know of an app that can view files on a USB drive I plug into it? I tried ES File but I couldn't find the drive anywhere.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
I don't think you can do it if you're not rooted, but you need StickMount and then things like ES can view it.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Any apps that will let me stream YouTube videos in the background? So I can (say) watch a presidential debate, jump over to a chat window to laugh about it, still hearing mrrmrrmrrrrr in the background, and then hop back to the video without having to restart it?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
You could try QueueTube, that might be what you need. Though don't be surprised if it disappears from the store since it goes against YouTube's TOS to allow that.

Must Love Dogs
May 6, 2005

and the sky is filled with light can you see it?

Anyone got an opinion on how SimCity Deluxe plays on a Nexus 7? I've got a long car ride and I want something to kill time.

gently caress nevermind. Apparently it doesn't run on a Nexus 7 when I just tried to purchase it and push it to the tablet.

Must Love Dogs fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Oct 23, 2012

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

DemonMage posted:

I don't think you can do it if you're not rooted, but you need StickMount and then things like ES can view it.

Thanks, that worked perfectly.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone else experienced anything like this with Splashtop?

I have a DLink DIR-655 router setup as an AP behind a Cisco DPC3825 modem/router.

I just updated both my Splashtop Streamer client, Splashtop 2 HD app and Splashtop THD app. All apps and clients have the appropriate Splashtop password, GMail discovery account information and security code if applicable. The S2HD will connect to my computer when the SS client PC is connected to the AP. STHD will only connect to the SSCPC when it connected to the Cisco router/modem. It does not make sense for S2HD to connect to the SSCPC when it is on the AP, but STHD will not connect on the same setup.

I would just stay connected to the Cisco, but it's wireless speed adversely affects the streaming capabilities of Splashtop.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 23, 2012

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
reply is not edit

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Oct 23, 2012

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

QPZIL posted:

The SoundCloud app is great for that. I use it for humming or whistling song ideas so I don't forget them. You just hit record, hit stop, hit publish, and voila your sound is archived at soundcloud.com.

I really want to hear your SoundCloud collection of hums and whistles.

baka kaba posted:

Any apps that will let me stream YouTube videos in the background? So I can (say) watch a presidential debate, jump over to a chat window to laugh about it, still hearing mrrmrrmrrrrr in the background, and then hop back to the video without having to restart it?

I use PVSTAR+. It's a japanese app but it serves its purpose very well. It also allows loading of playlists.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I use PVSTAR+. It's a japanese app but it serves its purpose very well. It also allows loading of playlists.

Thanks, this is kinda what I was looking for (the other recommendation just seems to be for audio?) but unfortunately it doesn't seem to handle live streams, so I was foiled again

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
Have a quick question. I got Camera Zoom FX in the 25 cent sale, but I wasn't hugely into it as it seemed a bit sluggish. It has just got a new update and is way better. Now, how do I specify it as the default camera app from the lock screen? In the Camera Zoom FX settings I have it ticked as the default app, but I previously selected the stock camera app from the lock screen and chose 'always'. I can't find how to reset this preference.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

dflanny posted:

Have a quick question. I got Camera Zoom FX in the 25 cent sale, but I wasn't hugely into it as it seemed a bit sluggish. It has just got a new update and is way better. Now, how do I specify it as the default camera app from the lock screen? In the Camera Zoom FX settings I have it ticked as the default app, but I previously selected the stock camera app from the lock screen and chose 'always'. I can't find how to reset this preference.
Camera is part of Gallery for some reason.

Go to Settings->Apps->All->Gallery->Clear Defaults

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Camera is part of Gallery for some reason.

Go to Settings->Apps->All->Gallery->Clear Defaults

Thanks for that! I was scrolling through all apps settings and wondering why the camera app wasn't there.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

FastestGunAlive posted:

Hey guys, any recommendations on a Japanese app? I'm visiting and I would like to learn basic phrases and kanji. I took a year of Japanese in college but I don't remember anything; I think having an app handy would help me remember. If anyone knows a good iOS app that works as well but I prefer Android. I know there are a number of language apps out there so I wanted to see if anyone had experience with them

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Obenkyo

If you need to look up stuff:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.nick.wwwjdic
+
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.nick.kanjirecognizer

and if you need a japanese keyboard, Google has a nice one:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.inputmethod.japanese

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm not sure if this is the most appropriate place to ask this question, but is there some free software I can install on my PC that will dial the number on my phone if it's plugged in?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sab669 posted:

I'm not sure if this is the most appropriate place to ask this question, but is there some free software I can install on my PC that will dial the number on my phone if it's plugged in?
Never used it but there's this:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.xdevelop.rm

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What's a good music streaming app? Spotify needs a subscription, and last.fm too, so those are out.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Pandora is the only free one I can think of.

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:
Songza is free with no audio ads and Slacker is free with ads.

dirtyfrog
Apr 15, 2003

The Fantastic Fapping Frog

Zen Punk posted:

But what if I'm not near a router? I don't have a data plan. I want to be able to pull files from the 32GB SD card in my X2 to my 8gb Nexus 7 if I'm, say, on the bus. How do I(can I?) do that?

Try Software Data Cable. Looks like you can transfer between devices even without being on the same network - I think one device creates a hotspot and the other joins it.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

sedative posted:

Songza is free with no audio ads

I've been using this for weeks and really like it. Since I have it hooked up to speakers I don't see any ads that are there. So definitely recommend this one.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Has something in the latest Gmail affected the way it does notifications? I noticed today that, when I get an email, my led doesn't blink. I've tried using the stock system notification settings and LightFlow (my preferred method) and can't get it to work for the life of me. The LightFlow test notification works fine, but when I actually get an email, nothing. I can't think of anything that I've changed in the last few days, so I'm at a loss.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

XIII posted:

Has something in the latest Gmail affected the way it does notifications? I noticed today that, when I get an email, my led doesn't blink. I've tried using the stock system notification settings and LightFlow (my preferred method) and can't get it to work for the life of me. The LightFlow test notification works fine, but when I actually get an email, nothing. I can't think of anything that I've changed in the last few days, so I'm at a loss.
It's probably because you don't have the per-label notification settings correct.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Maybe I missed this since last visiting the thread -- is there a tool to find out which of your apps is giving you notification ads?

superunknown
Jul 11, 2001

If good things lasted forever, would we appreciate how precious they are?

Diplomaticus posted:

Maybe I missed this since last visiting the thread -- is there a tool to find out which of your apps is giving you notification ads?

Airpush detector sounds like what you're looking for
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.brosmike.airpushdetector

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

It's also inbuilt into either Ice Cream Sandwich or Jelly Bean, I forget which. Longpress a notification and click App Info.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Google recently banned that poo poo from the play store too didn't they? I'd report the app.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

big mean giraffe posted:

Google recently banned that poo poo from the play store too didn't they? I'd report the app.

I know that Draw Something still does it by that's my own stupid fault for having a Zynga app installed.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

rolleyes posted:

I know that Draw Something still does it by that's my own stupid fault for having a Zynga app installed.

I was referring to apps that use notification ads that aren't obviously from that app. Also, just long-press the notification and you can disable them per-app., assuming you're on a newer version of Android.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Is Dropsync really the best way to sync my dropbox with my phone?

I want to do 2 primary things:

1: Have a "music" folder in my compter dropbox folder that automatically syncs to my phone, so I can simply copy the music I want on my phone into that folder and have it automatically on my phone. (I currently copy the music I want on my phone manually)

2: Have pictures I take automatically back up to my dropbox folder when I come home and connect to my wifi (for me to then move out of dropbox for storage size sake). (I currently do this with Sugarsync, I just want to narrow down the apps I'm using.)

• Locked thread