Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Blaise posted:

It really boggles my mind that a neighbor calling about a car being 'abandoned' in my own driveway actually gets me tagged for having my cars towed as 'Junk, Inoperable.' Seriously?? I just didn't want to deal with the mess anymore. If I didn't come home for 2 days (happens often) I would have found my vehicles towed to the scrap yard. Really.

On the upside, I still have my yellow one :)

Why didn't you just register the cars you didn't want hauled away?

Also, I would be having a face to face talk with my neighbor after that. You need to open up a line of communication, and if they refuse then you can make their life difficult as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Suniikaa posted:

Parked it for the winter yesterday, then last night that happened. I think it's winter now.

You should drive it for the winter. Miatas are great snow cars.

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

n8r posted:

You should drive it for the winter. Miatas are great snow cars.

I have before but can't afford to have it insured right now. It even has snow tires on at the moment :(

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Suniikaa posted:

It even has snow tires on at the moment :(

You obviously brought this upon yourself, then. :colbert:

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

leica posted:

Why didn't you just register the cars you didn't want hauled away?

Also, I would be having a face to face talk with my neighbor after that. You need to open up a line of communication, and if they refuse then you can make their life difficult as well.

They are registered. You can even see in the picture the clear inspection sticker to 8/13. I did talk to her after it but she refused to admit she did it. She routinely screams her face off at me no matter what I do in my garage or driveway, insisting that it's 'noisy' 'smelly' or 'dangerous.' Mind you, I keep my air compressor in my house to keep noise down, there's nothing smelly or dangerous. :sigh:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You should tell her that she's noisy, smelly, and dangerous.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Then call Garfield out to tow her car. Evidently getting ANYTHING out of Philbert is a bitch.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Blaise posted:

They are registered. You can even see in the picture the clear inspection sticker to 8/13.

Wait a minute. How the hell can a car be considered abandoned with an up to date registration parked on your own loving property? Something isn't right here, either you did something wrong or your city/state has some severely unjust laws going on. Even if you live in an HOA that shouldn't be able to happen.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Some HOA's and even municipalities have very strict laws about parking cars visible from the street and not driving them.

One of my friends lived in a place where you were fined $50 if they caught you opening your hood in your driveway, even just to check fluid levels. Putting the car on jackstands and draining oil into a pan would probably result in banishment. Its what happens when 45 year old ladies who take their G class mercades to the dealership to have the washer fluid re-filled sit on the community government. (Rich Housewives are the only ones who have time for that poo poo, "Weeds" was a documentary)

Sometimes i think they see fixing your own car the same way most of us would see doing open heart surgery on grandpa on the back patio to save a few bucks.

Flesh Croissant fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 24, 2012

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

mattdizzleZ28 posted:

Some HOA's and even municipalities have very strict laws about parking cars visible from the street and not driving them.

One of my friends lived in a place where you were fined $50 if they caught you opening your hood in your driveway, even just to check fluid levels. Putting the car on jackstands and draining oil into a pan would probably result in banishment. Its what happens when 45 year old ladies who take their G class mercades to the dealership to have the washer fluid re-filled sit on the community government. (Rich Housewives are the only ones who have time for that poo poo, "Weeds" was a documentary)

Sometimes i think they see fixing your own car the same way most of us would see doing open heart surgery on grandpa on the back patio to save a few bucks.

I'm stuck in an apartment where I'll get reported and fined if I work on my own car. Before I move anywhere again I'll ask the HOA what the rules are, especially if I'm in a house I want the ability to do as I please in my own driveway.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

mattdizzleZ28 posted:

America officially has no real problems any longer.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Weinertron posted:

I'm stuck in an apartment where I'll get reported and fined if I work on my own car. Before I move anywhere again I'll ask the HOA what the rules are, especially if I'm in a house I want the ability to do as I please in my own driveway.

HOAs haha what?

Edit: doing POR15 in the rain

Not James Buchanan
Jun 23, 2006

Not James Buchanan fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 2, 2013

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Can I wash my NC's top the wrong way? I've got a 2007 Grand Touring, white with the "parchment" cloth top. It was looking a little grungy, so I pulled out the 303 cloth cleaner and went to work. There was a lot of dirt at the bottom where it meets the black trim. I used my fingers and a hose to clean under there. Yesterday I noticed that I had a fair amount of water in the car. It hasn't really rained lately, so I'm pretty sure that washing the car/top did it.

I pulled out the seats and put a dehumidifier in there. I'll leave it for a few days and I'm sure it will be fine. I just want to make sure that this is a known "yeah, you shouldn't have done that" sort of thing. The other immediate possibility is that I just had a new windshield installed a day or two before I washed the top. It's guaranteed not to leak, but I suppose it could have.

So yeah, do I need to be more careful washing the top?

Edit - I'm now reading that 2007s had a poorly designed drain system that clogs pretty easily. This is the first time I've ever had this issue so I didn't think it would be drains, but I will be sure to clean those out in the next few days. That's probably the cause.

becoming fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Oct 25, 2012

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

mattdizzleZ28 posted:

But there's a big difference between an HOA fine and declaring a vehicle abandoned and towing it to the junkyard. If my registered cars were towed out of my driveway and junked somebody is going to get sued one way or another. As long as your vehicles are registered there's no excuse for that as far as I'm concerned.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Weinertron posted:

Before I move anywhere again I'll ask the HOA what the rules are, especially if I'm in a house I want the ability to do as I please in my own driveway.

Or you could just not move into a HOA neighborhood...?

I seriously doubt you're going to find one where asking "can I use my driveway for anything besides a path to move my car from the street into the garage?" isn't going to be an instant disqualification.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Oct 25, 2012

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION
Guess that's a good argument for a huge pole building garage (which wouldn't get HOA approved) or a gate (which probably wouldn't get HOA approved). I didn't know there was anywhere in PA you could get a ticket in your own driveway.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

So my '91 has a few problems so far:
  • Oil pressure gauge seems to always report maximum pressure. Broken sender, bad wiring, or stuck gauge? Leaning towards the latter, as it's always at maximum even when the car is off.
  • The "doors" mode on the glovebox light doesn't seem to work for drivers' side. Dead door sensor?
  • The ignition cylinder is hard to get the key out of. When I turn it to OFF I have to turn it back to ACC/ON, then push it into the cylinder and turn it. Sometimes I have to wiggle it a bit, and it's not smooth like I figure it should be. Is the key to blame (the door locks also don't seem to like it) or is the cylinder just so old that I should look at replacing it?
Bump. Any ideas on these issues? I haven't had much of a chance to look at the car lately.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Geoj posted:

Or you could just not move into a HOA neighborhood...?

This is very hard to impossible in many areas, depending on your budget and location constraints. There are very, very few neighborhoods in the metro Phoenix area that are HOA-free, and most of them are on the higher end of the price scale.

Seat Safety Switch: For the key, does wiggling the steering wheel help? Or does it seem like it's the cylinder itself hanging onto the key and not the column lock?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

Seat Safety Switch: For the key, does wiggling the steering wheel help? Or does it seem like it's the cylinder itself hanging onto the key and not the column lock?
Feels like it's the cylinder dragging. It doesn't want to go 'in' very far when I push it.

The steering wheel is always straight ahead, but I'll try wiggling it a bit while I push and turn. Once it "catches" the cylinder action is very smooth, it's just getting over the safety push to remove the key.

It's not an OE Mazda key so maybe it was slightly miscut? Would explain why the doors don't seem to like it much either.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

It's not an OE Mazda key so maybe it was slightly miscut? Would explain why the doors don't seem to like it much either.

If you do have the original key, I'd highly suggest making a new copy ASAP. I have an aftermarket key that wasn't cut perfectly on one edge, and it has the same exact symptoms as you're experiencing unless I flip it over and use the other side.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Unfortunately no original key. Oddly enough the key only turns the ignition one way - sometimes I have to flip it over to start the car.

I thought it was maybe a quirk but now that I think about it almost all car keys should be symmetrical.

Perhaps I'll stop by the dealership and see if they can cut me a new key from the VIN?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Perhaps I'll stop by the dealership and see if they can cut me a new key from the VIN?

I need to do this too, mine only came with two copies. One of them bent out of shape when I sat on it funny, and the other I recently discovered won't operate the center console lock, and barely locks the glovebox. How much does a dealer typically charge to do that?

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
It was $10 a key when I did it, but that was the same day I found out my car had been completely re-keyed.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

leica posted:

Wait a minute. How the hell can a car be considered abandoned with an up to date registration parked on your own loving property? Something isn't right here, either you did something wrong or your city/state has some severely unjust laws going on. Even if you live in an HOA that shouldn't be able to happen.

No HOA here. That's the best part, I bought a house so that I couldn't be harassed about this stuff. Boy was I wrong.

The vehicle in my driveway had no plate on it as you cannot legally have a plate on your car unless it's insured, which it was not as it was parked and not being driven. I slapped a plate on it, put it on insurance, and all was well. I didn't know they had a say when it was on private property, but apparently they do. That's what I get for trying to be legal about things, while half of people out there driving have no insurance :rolleyes:

The vehicle that did have a plate on it was parked out in front of my house on the road. If my neighbor claims that it's been parked there for weeks (which it wasn't), they can tag it as abandoned because it had been parked there. But yes, it's severely hosed up that they did so on a miata with OBVIOUSLY current inspection/registration, good tires, brand new top, etc.

The good news is that I sold 2 cars, I'm about to sell another bike, so I'll be down to few enough vehicles that I can keep everything parked on my private property. I also now know exactly what the rules are about noise, when and how I can work on my car, etc. That is, I can't wait to move my compressor directly under my neighbors window at 7AM on a sunday morning and fire it up so I can cut random piece of metal in half for no reason. Bitch.

azzenco
Jan 16, 2004

Slippery Tilde

I'm all for being neighborly and all but gently caress her right out of the neighborhood. How late can you party? Party late and then rise early because gently caress her.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

azzenco posted:

I'm all for being neighborly and all but gently caress her right out of the neighborhood. How late can you party? Party late and then rise early because gently caress her.

10PM to 7AM quiet time. I never run my tools past 8 or so or before 9 in the morning. I also keep my compressor inside so it doesn't make noise while airing up. I have never thrown a party in 4 years of living here but it might be about time.

That being said, the police were actually very courteous. They said most people don't even bother calling them or if they do they just bitch. I politely called, asked what the rules were and apologized for giving them work to do (lol) and moved on.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Blaise posted:

That is, I can't wait to move my compressor directly under my neighbors window at 7AM on a sunday morning and fire it up so I can cut random piece of metal in half for no reason. Bitch.

Nice. I'd break out the angle grinder, or start drilling random holes in the driveway with my heavy duty hammer drill that can make everyone in a 50 foot radius deaf in under a minute :v:

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Personal experience tells me to tell you to clamp a piece of aluminum plate or angle in a vise, leaving a good bit sticking up/out, then hit it with a grinder. The god-awful noise that makes will penetrate the thickest walls.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

Nice. I'd break out the angle grinder, or start drilling random holes in the driveway with my heavy duty hammer drill that can make everyone in a 50 foot radius deaf in under a minute :v:

This is the best plan. I almost wish I had bad neighbors where I currently live so I could do something like this.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

It looks like I'll be picking up a Miata in the next few months, more likely next week. How difficult is it to swap a Torsen LSD into a NA (1991 SE) car?

The car will eventually be built into a track rat working towards a full spec Miata build over the next few years. Or is this a horrible idea and I should just but a 1.8/torsen car to start with?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

NitroSpazzz posted:

It looks like I'll be picking up a Miata in the next few months, more likely next week. How difficult is it to swap a Torsen LSD into a NA (1991 SE) car?

The car will eventually be built into a track rat working towards a full spec Miata build over the next few years. Or is this a horrible idea and I should just but a 1.8/torsen car to start with?
I'm looking at doing this right now - a '94 Torsen and '94 gearbox came as spares with my '91, along with what I assume to be an 89-93 99 open diff.

The owner said that I need to swap the ring and pinion over from the open diff to make the final drive on the 94 Torsen correct for the 91 gearbox (although google searching seems to indicate that the 91 ring is much weaker and I should just live with the slower accelerating FD), then swap the axles, diff housing and driveshaft (the pumpkin is physically larger) for the 94 parts. I admittedly haven't looked into it much, but I remember it showing up in the Project Car magazine Miata as well.

I was also planning on replacing the diff bushings while I have the new carrier on hand, but one thing at a time.

edit: Actually it just occurred to me that the spare open diff I have is probably out of a 99, which would give me the stronger ring and the better ratio.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 26, 2012

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
90-2005 5 speed transmissons are all pretty much the same. The most you'll have to do is change the speedometer drive gear on the side of the transmission. If you don't care that your speedometer and odometer will under read than you don't even need to do that.

You will need a 1.8 driveshaft and halfshafts though.

Don't swap ring and pinions unless you're also changing the differential itself to an aftermarket unit or getting custom gearing. (Unless you rebuild differentials yourself) It's cheaper to pull one from a junkyard that already has the gearing you want than to pay a shop to rebuild it correctly. I think I paid around 300$ to have my 3.63 OS Giken differential assembled.

The 1.6 engine came with 4.3 gearing and the 1.8 engine came with 4.1 gearing in 5 speed applications and 3.9 in 6 speed applications.

3.63 gears are super rare except in Austrailia where they were offered on factory 6 speed cars.

craig588 fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 26, 2012

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Blaise posted:

10PM to 7AM quiet time. I never run my tools past 8 or so or before 9 in the morning. I also keep my compressor inside so it doesn't make noise while airing up. I have never thrown a party in 4 years of living here but it might be about time.

That being said, the police were actually very courteous. They said most people don't even bother calling them or if they do they just bitch. I politely called, asked what the rules were and apologized for giving them work to do (lol) and moved on.

Might be a little over cautious but if this neighbor thing gets worse get one of those IP camera/DVR things looking over your driveway in case they decide to screw with your cars parked on your property. They're not that expensive.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Drove a friends miata at the last autox that had KYB AGX's, GC sleeves, and 350/250 springs. He's selling the setup for $500 to upgrade to Xidas. I really liked the way his setup felt compared to my sock stuff, and I'm considering buying it. What are people's general thoughts?

Of course, he also has a bigger front sway and 9" wide 6UL's with 225/45/15 RS-3's, which definitely contributed to the handling.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

In my experience, all big front sway bars do is make Miatas understeer. If you want the car to actually turn well it's not a great idea unless you're more concerned about reducing body roll.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I've got a bigger front bar on my NA. The previous owner's rationalization was that it reduced rear wheel lift under aggressive cornering. A few S2000 autocrossers do the same thing.

I think it might be one of those driving style things. I'll have to drive the car pretty hard and see how it is - I like a lot more rear end-sliding but I am used to Subarus after all.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

leica posted:

In my experience, all big front sway bars do is make Miatas understeer. If you want the car to actually turn well it's not a great idea unless you're more concerned about reducing body roll.

Interesting, because it seems like everyone tends to run a bigger front bar (Either the RB 1.125in tubular or the FM solid) with stock (11-12mm bar) or MSM bar (14mm), for both autox and track. From those I`ve talked to, it seems to bring the handling a bit more neutral. Some people disconnect the rear bar for autox.

The one I drove definitely didn't understeer... I managed to get it to swap ends on me, I didn't realize how much more speed I was carrying with the suspension setup.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

TrueChaos posted:

I really liked the way his setup felt compared to my sock stuff

Freudian slip?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Sockington posted:

Freudian slip?

You're just always on my mind. :allears: